MAC Daphne Guinness Discussion

UrbanSweetheart

By the way....
Narcissus is freaking amazing. It is such a perfect color and actually dries down to the BEST MLBB color that I have ever seen. I started off by buying 2 and I swear by the end of tonight I will have bought two more. It is THAT good. And the formula of this cremesheen is different than others I have tried in the past, it has MUCH more staying power and pigmentation, so if you are like me and normally despise cremesheens, please give this one a go.
I also love Narcissus! I'm contemplating on purchasing a backup as I type this...lol

Edelmc

Heres a look I did today with Seasoned Plum. I really like the formula of the prolong wear - it really does last a long time

What i used (all MAC unless otherwised stated)
Skin: prep&prime illuminate, face&body foundation, msfn
Cheeks: Nars orgasm multiple, luna ccb, lightscapade msf
Eyes: painterly pp, naked lunch eyeshadow, aurora pigment
Lips: prep & prime lip, lip erase (I have very very pigmented lips!), magenta lip pencil, seasoned plum lipstick, extra amps dazzleglass

Edelmc

Edel, did you get the Interior Life quad? I'm curious to learn how you like it!
I LOVE it!!!!!! I think its fantastic - I personally think the quality and colour pay off is great. I wear it alot as a day time smokey eye and if I fancy a bit more shimmer I wear Let's Skate pp underneath and it gives a different finish. I particularly love bruised sky - fab for green eyes! I might actually be my favourite quad from MAC in the past year.

What has been your favourite thing from the collection?

Mac-Guy

I LOVE it!!!!!! I think its fantastic - I personally think the quality and colour pay off is great. I wear it alot as a day time smokey eye and if I fancy a bit more shimmer I wear Let's Skate pp underneath and it gives a different finish. I particularly love bruised sky - fab for green eyes! I might actually be my favourite quad from MAC in the past year.
What has been your favourite thing from the collection?

I knew you would love it! I also find the color pay-off great!

It's hard to tell my fav product from this collection. I had the blushes before, so I just bought BU's. I do love Japanese Spring and Borealis as a cool-toned l/g - the cremesheen formula is just fantastic: non-sticky and moisturizing. Re eye products: I can't decide if I prefer IL quad or Aurora as they a both so different, but each of them have unique qualities.

Mac-Guy

Do not copy or link this image to any other forum or discussion board w/o my explicit permission!

Interior Life quad swatches on NW15-20 skin.

Mac-Guy

Do not copy or link this review to any other forum or discussion board w/o my explicit permission!

Here are my thoughts on the Interior Life quad:*

- Stratus is a very pale pink that has an icy matte finish. I use the term "icy" as it is rather cool-toned, though it has no shimmer, but it is not completely matte either on the skin. Unlike other reviewers, I didn't have any issues Stratus showing up on my skin, so if you are NW 20 and below, it will definitely work on your skin tone. I believe it works particularly well on NW skin as it is a cool-toned that will complement pink undertones. For those who don't want a shiny highlight, this is a great color: think mature browbones or those who get tired off the hundreds of frosty highlighters that are out there - Stratus is a great alternative. Texture-wise, it reminds me of Accentuate (Shape and Sculpt). It's very easy to pick up with a soft brush and there is no need to double-dip if you have lighter skin. It is a also good as a blending color.

- Bruised Sky is a very light brown with mauve hues. It has excellent color-pay off and the name Bruised Sky is a very accurate description of it. It is a great lid color and I recommend dabbing it onto the lid and then blend it out rather than trying blend it immediately - otherwise it might end up patchy. This is nothing unusual for matte shades but a rather common issue - it all boils down to your application technique. BS is an extremely longwearing shade if applied over a p/p. I did not experience any creasing at all, which is one of the reasons why the matte formula is great.

- Interior Life is a cool-toned light-to-medium grey tone in a Veluxe finish. On my pale skin, it is very pigmented, so a light hand is necessary when applying this shade. It works very well as a crease color or as a smokey liner on the lower lash-line. What is most fascinating about IL are the subtle cool undertones in blue and purple that makes this particular e/s so interesting. I don't have anything like it in my stash (which is huge). Due to the Veluxe finish, it is very easy to work with despite its matte finish. If applied with a light hand, the color can go from very natural to very dramatic on pale skin. Due to the longwearing formula (no creasing whatsoever), it is a great color for daytime that can easily be refreshed for a dramatic evening make up without changing the color scheme.

- Heather Belles is a satin charcoal-ey e/s with a satin finish. I only use this to tightline and I assume this is the intention of this e/s rather than representing a crease color per se. It might also work on the outer V or to emphasize the lower lash-line.

All four colors work extremely well together and I would say that the color scheme is superior than some of the quads we have seen in the past. You can create a whole look with all four colors w/o pulling from other e/s.

Overall, this is a great quad if you look for cool-toned shades that can produce a natural look but can also be "oomphed up" to a very dramatic look. The matte formula of this quad is outstanding and all the e/s apply relatively easy considering that matte formulas are always drier than Veluxe Pearl. The fact that these colors are so longlasting make them ideal for people who do not constantly want to check they eye make up for creasing as the matte formula is less likely to crease than one with shimmer or frost finish. Mind you, the colors are very cool-toned, so if you have a very warm complexion, you might want to add another shade to warm up the overall tone of this quad. Last but not least: always use a freshly cleaned brush to work with e/s. Especially the matte formula can be difficult to work with if you swatch with fingers or use a dirty brush (e.g. one that has touched a p/p or has blended other colors). I can certainly see people having difficulties swatching the quad in the store if someone has used their fingers to swatch the colors. Oil and sweat are definitely the enemy of this quad. However, if you use common sense and clean brushes, this shouldn't be an issue. As I said above, the latter two colors are so pigmented that I had to use a very light hand.

R to L: Stratus, Bruised Sky, Interior Life, Heather Belles. I found them very difficult to photograph. I'm sure there are better quality swatches out there.

* Apologies for the late review, but I did not take the quad with me on vacation. :)

Haven

So now I am lemming the IL quad. I easily passed on it before, and now it is creeping back into my mind again. Curse you MAC addiction!
getyou.gif

Mac-Guy

So now I am lemming the IL quad. I easily passed on it before, and now it is creeping back into my mind again. Curse you MAC addiction!
getyou.gif

I have no idea what skin color you have, but if you are a pale NW complexion, I would encourage you to check it out - and buy it! If you are a darker NC complexion, definitely try it out in a store before you buy it. I can't really predict how it might turn out on darker or more yellow-toned skin tones.

I'm surprised how much I like this quad as I usually don't go for any lavender colors, but the hues are so subtle that it really adds a lot of sophistication to this quad. I never thought that Interior Life can look so natural, but in a very different way than any of the products in the Naturally collection.

Haven

I am NW 20 - actually probably a little lighter b/c of the time of year. I was worried about getting the bruised eye/punched in the eye look from the colors in this quad, so I passed before. I have quads like the palace pedigreed from FF which I rarely use b/c of that probelm. I do suppose that it depends on what other colors I add to my look. See now I am talking myself into it....
I have no idea what skin color you have, but if you are a pale NW complexion, I would encourage you to check it out - and buy it! If you are a darker NC complexion, definitely try it out in a store before you buy it. I can't really predict how it might turn out on darker or more yellow-toned skin tones.

I'm surprised how much I like this quad as I usually don't go for any lavender colors, but the hues are so subtle that it really adds a lot of sophistication to this quad. I never thought that Interior Life can look so natural, but in a very different way than any of the products in the Naturally collection.

Mac-Guy

Then we have the same complexion.
flower.gif
I'm between NW15 and NW20, depending on the time of the year. I hear what you are saying about the punched eye look, but I don't think you will run this risk with IL as the lavender hues are so subtle. Think of the colors as light brown, light grey - basically matte taupes - that have a slight lavender hue depending on the light (that's why it was so difficult to photograph). If you like taupes that have cool hues, you will certainly like this quad. But if you are unsure, definitely check it out in store.

LMD84

Heres a look I did today with Seasoned Plum. I really like the formula of the prolong wear - it really does last a long time

What i used (all MAC unless otherwised stated)
Skin: prep&prime illuminate, face&body foundation, msfn
Cheeks: Nars orgasm multiple, luna ccb, lightscapade msf
Eyes: painterly pp, naked lunch eyeshadow, aurora pigment
Lips: prep & prime lip, lip erase (I have very very pigmented lips!), magenta lip pencil, seasoned plum lipstick, extra amps dazzleglass

you look as beautiful as ever and the lipstick looks so lovely on you!

Haven

I will definately check it out again when I go to my MAC counter again!

Then we have the same complexion.
flower.gif
I'm between NW15 and NW20, depending on the time of the year. I hear what you are saying about the punched eye look, but I don't think you will run this risk with IL as the lavender hues are so subtle. Think of the colors as light brown, light grey - basically matte taupes - that have a slight lavender hue depending on the light (that's why it was so difficult to photograph). If you like taupes that have cool hues, you will certainly like this quad. But if you are unsure, definitely check it out in store.

Edelmc

I am nw10-15 and would definitely recommend this quad. I am normally very hesitant of any dark greys, navy, charcoal etc because of the fear of the bruised/beaten up look but this quad is great. I think the reason it works well on pale skin is that 2 lighter colours bring an overall lightness to the quad. I do use a light hand with the crease colour but I find it much easier to use than alot of darker more pigmented colours. The darkest colour is used as a soft liner. I would echo what mac-guy said in his review esp about the colours working really well together-I don't have to reach for any other colours to finish the look. The overall look this quad gives is subtle smokey-another reason I think it works on pale skin cause it's subtle and soft. I use it for work appropriate smokey eye or at night when I want to wear a strong lip and I don't want the eye make up to be too strong

Mac-Guy

I might want to add to my review that Stratus is excellent to blend the colors together or soften any harsh lines from Interior Life e/s and/or Heather Belles e/s. While the color looks very subtle in the pan, it does a great job at softening up the colors.

Edel, what base do you use? I use Painterly p/p with the IL quad as it is matte and neutral. While Nubile is my HG p/p, I find that Painterly works much better with IL.

Edelmc

I might want to add to my review that Stratus is excellent to blend the colors together or soften any harsh lines from Interior Life e/s and/or Heather Belles e/s. While the color looks very subtle in the pan, it does a great job at softening up the colors.

Edel, what base do you use? I use Painterly p/p with the IL quad as it is matte and neutral. While Nubile is my HG p/p, I find that Painterly works much better with IL.

I mainly use painterly but if I want a more shimmery look then I use let's skate. I have also used mufe 18-mauve if I want the overall look to lean a bit more purple

VampOwl

I got my Japanese Spring gloss in the mail yesterday along with a BU of Borealis. I am so in love with these Cremesheen l/g! I am content with my 2 Narcissus, 2 Borealis, 1 Japanese Spring, and 1 Richly Revered. I have to stop backing up everything. But I know if i don't, I will regret it later when its too late!

Mac-Guy

I got my Japanese Spring gloss in the mail yesterday along with a BU of Borealis. I am so in love with these Cremesheen l/g! I am content with my 2 Narcissus, 2 Borealis, 1 Japanese Spring, and 1 Richly Revered. I have to stop backing up everything. But I know if i don't, I will regret it later when its too late!

bigstar.gif

iheartangE

I did this Daphne-inspired face chart for the launch and wanted to share... :)

It was in the earlier stages before I'd added all the fine details but I used the Interior Life quad, Azalea Blossom, and Approaching Storm :)