MAC Early Buzz - News for Upcoming Collections in 2017

beautyescape

I wonder why they didn't at least release some new Patentpolish shades? I actually love them but I will never understand why they cost more than regular MAC lipstick lol

I really enjoy Lancome Juicy Shakers. Though they are still sheer, they are probably the most pigmented out of all of the lip oils I have tried.

MAC at Ulta?! I did not see that coming. I guess it has to do with less traffic at department stores and malls that is probably affecting their profit and ego along with the popularity of Sephora and Ulta. I doubt that my local Ulta will get MAC in store but I am happy to see it online and be able to to use points towards products. I hope we will see exclusive MAC and Ulta releases in the future as well.

LadyBug13

MAC at Ulta?! I did not see that coming. I guess it has to do with less traffic at department stores and malls that is probably affecting their profit and ego along with the popularity of Sephora and Ulta..

In SoHo here in NYC, there's a MAC store literally a few steps from Bloomingdale's, and in downtown Brooklyn there's a new MAC store across the street from Macy's (and Sephora is a 6 minute walk nearby).

Regarding profit and ego: I was on another forum, and people are saying that this is signalizing that MAC isn't doing well at all. From that Basic B*** palette to the Select program that they were hoping would put them at competition with the VIB program and Ulta's program, now I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I also heard that NARS will be sold at Ulta too.

mac_aiken

Don't know how I feel about the Ulta thing but I do wonder how the brand is doing. My local MAC store closed in January.

fur4elise

In SoHo here in NYC, there's a MAC store literally a few steps from Bloomingdale's, and in downtown Brooklyn there's a new MAC store across the street from Macy's (and Sephora is a 6 minute walk nearby).
Regarding profit and ego: I was on another forum, and people are saying that this is signalizing that MAC isn't doing well at all. From that Basic B*** palette to the Select program that they were hoping would put them at competition with the VIB program and Ulta's program, now I'm not sure how I feel about this.

When I was in Ulta (newer, larger store) the other day, I walked right by an endcap of NARS, essentially a portion of what is being sold online.

TBH I did not spend much last year on MAC. And this year, my purchases have been minimal & mostly perm basics.

Also, I shop more at Sephora in store & online than Ulta. Ulta does not have an inviting swatch/sample vibe. I feel harassed & they do not want to make up samples of anything... I have 2 MAC counters, and 3 Sephora and 3 Ulta in the Grand Rapids area. I could see the newer larger Ulta carrying in store, but I do not see myself buying MAC from Ulta in store.

Miss Dynamite

When I was in Ulta (newer, larger store) the other day, I walked right by an endcap of NARS, essentially a portion of what is being sold online.
TBH I did not spend much last year on MAC. And this year, my purchases have been minimal & mostly perm basics.

Also, I shop more at Sephora in store & online than Ulta. Ulta does not have an inviting swatch/sample vibe. I feel harassed & they do not want to make up samples of anything... I have 2 MAC counters, and 3 Sephora and 3 Ulta in the Grand Rapids area. I could see the newer larger Ulta carrying in store, but I do not see myself buying MAC from Ulta in store.

All we have close by is 1 Ulta and 1 Sephora in the mall, Nordstrom and Macys which both have MAC counters are over an hour away, but right beside each other. When I went to Nordstrom, the people at the MAC counter were super nice and helpful but didn't bug me constantly, haven't been to this Ulta yet, but Sephora scares me. If you so much as hint that you want something, they will drag you all around the store showing you 800 million things and won't leave you alone until you want to cry. I prefer places that don't bother me until I'm ready to pay for my stuff. I'll love if they have MAC in the Ulta store by me, but I see no point in ever buying it from their website, it's like "look you can buy MAC now...and pay more than you do anywhere else cause of our expensive shipping" yeahhh...no, I'll stick with my free shipping, thanks.

Honi

Metallic lipsticks sounds like something I'd be interested in! The swatches look nice, think ill get a few of them.

LiliV

Just commenting on the Mac at Ulta, my mind is BLOWN lol I think it will give Mac a lot more exposure and help their sales for sure, but as someone who used to work at Ulta I'm very curious to see how this will work out. Especially if they aren't hiring Mac girls and plan to just have it be self-service or Ulta associates, people are so used to the idea of a Mac artist coming along with the Mac shopping experience. Definitely looking forward to seeing what happens! It was a master move for Ulta's business

Sweetyellow

Honestly, I think MAC needs to cut back on the frequent new collections. I don't think people have the funds to pickup a few things with their collections literally being back-to-back, month after month. I'm sure they are also left with a lot of stock which ends up heavily discounted down the line which cuts into their profits. They should stick to several quality collections per quarter or something...idk.

ramarose

The Ethereal Glam Eyex9 palette on Mac's Snapchat looks sooo nice and I never like Mac palettes

edit: actually I think it's called Solar Glow.. they said ethereal glam on the video swatches

Last edited:

Monsy

nars is already at ulta. only certain items not the whole line.

i am sure mac will start with only couple of items first.

liking ulta or not this is reality - they exploded and have 800 locations across the country. i was their employee 7 years. they had 300 stores when i started . in the last couple of years lancome, clinique, estee lauder, origins, nars, shiseido (even dior with mascaras)... came to ulta so why not mac? everyone wants that kind of accessibility to customers that ulta offers with so many locations.

Shars

Just commenting on the Mac at Ulta, my mind is BLOWN lol I think it will give Mac a lot more exposure and help their sales for sure, but as someone who used to work at Ulta I'm very curious to see how this will work out. Especially if they aren't hiring Mac girls and plan to just have it be self-service or Ulta associates, people are so used to the idea of a Mac artist coming along with the Mac shopping experience. Definitely looking forward to seeing what happens! It was a master move for Ulta's business

I'm assuming it'll be the equivalent of a MAC counter in a department store (Nordies, Bloomingdales, Macy's etc.). That's the only thing that makes sense with their branding and so on. But we'll have to see I guess.

Monsy

Ulta locations that have boutiques like Lancome or clinique boutique or benefit they specifically hire people for that brand so I assume if mac wants boutique they will hire person who will be employed both by ulta and the brand

Kaidan

I'm down with those metallic lipsticks as long as they don't emphasize one's lip lines. Some of the lipglasses look nice, but if the size decrease is true, then it's a skip.

beautyescape

MAC Cosmetics to Enter Ulta Beauty in Bid for New Audience – WWD

From an article I saw about MAC going into Ulta: "At the heart of MAC’s assortment in Ulta will be the brand’s landmark Studio Fix Fluid and Powder foundation along with Studio Waterweight, Prolongwear Nourishing Waterproof foundation and Next to Nothing, which will be launched in April. The Studio Fix array of 53 shades has been edited for Ulta. The other pillar is lip color, led by the $17 lipstick, which is usually marketed in up to 140 shades, followed by the $16 Lipglass and $21 Liptensity, a new, high-pigment coloring that was launched in September. Retromatte, a liquid product, rounds out the lip assortment... MAC will be entering Ulta with 12 of these sku’s, three skin-care items and nine lipsticks."

I agree about Ulta's lack of free shipping. Keeps me from shopping online with them usually. Thankfully my local Ulta's customer service has gotten a bit better. Their rewards program keeps roping me in because of their occasional double/triple/etc. points on products/specific brands promotions. Although MAC physical availability is fine in my hometown (one MAC store and two counters), they closed both of the Macy's that had counters in my college town which really limited access.

I think MAC should extend their Select program to work in department stores and work on quality control of their collections. I also feel like MAC has started to follow trends when they use to be one of the trailblazers for them.

Last edited:

boschicka

I appreciate Ulta's reward system and their addition of more high end brands. I also rarely have problems with their $50 minimum for shipping, but if they offered the same style flash shipping for $10/yr that Sephora has, I would have no problem opting in for that.
And I guess it makes sense to have any brand in Ulta now, so why not MAC? Drugstore makeup has been reaching new highs in pricing, so perhaps someone who only bought drugstore until now would be surprised to learn they could buy a MAC lipstick for $17.