MAC Early Buzz - News on Products for 2013

Michelemu21

The way L.A. traffic is, what sometimes takes me 10 minutes can just as easily take me a damn hour, so at this point, I have to err on the side of caution. I carry small sizes of sunscreen around with me like a bag lady carries bird seed for the pigeons. 'Just wish there was a sunscreen that could handle being kept in the glove box of a hot car - every time I do that, it goes bad in hideous ways.    When I was younger, my skin definitely could handle the sun better - heck, I had a convertible for a decade, from my mid-20s to my mid-30's. Those glory days are over now, lol.
I love LA so much but hate the traffic...it is unbearable. When I visit I can't believe how long it takes to get anywhere. So many beautiful places...esp Laguna Beach.

Ashleybubbles83

Being in California there's no way I can be reclusive and stay indoors. I have to get out and enjoy life and just have foundation with a good amount of sunscreen!

erine1881

I enjoy life. I just do it in the shade or indoors. And if you aren't reapplying your sunscreen, you might as well not put in on in the first place if you're outside for more than 90 mins.

liba

There is no getting around it. You either have to reapply or take chances with less than stellar coverage. If I am actually in the sun, like a beach day or sports/outside activities, I sweat any way, so I use a CC or TM that I can reapply. That Paula Choice day defense I posted a link to back in the page before works well under make up and on its own, so I would use that in the future and just reapply if I get sweaty. I usually avoid the sun because I don't tolerate it very well. For daily coverage, I use a daytime moisturizer with sunblock, a foundation with sunblock over that, powder and then still avoid direct sunlight if I can by covering my face with glasses, a hat or visor, the sun visor in the car, all that. I reapply on arms and chest through out the day. A very big IF, if I have time I will touch up my foundation, using one with appropriate UVA and UVB protection.

I know most folks are fearful of sun cancer, but to be perfectly honest, I am just being vain here and trying to avoid sun damage and wrinkles. Ironically, I do get winter blues, so I use a light box and take lots of vitamin D! I know, I am a little wackadoo.
The extra precautions I take are for vanity too! That's ok by me.
girlhaha.gif
I'll never have the porcelain white skin I had at 18 again. I look at pictures from back then and am pretty amazed - you don't always realize what you have when you have it. Sometimes I enjoy being out in the sun. It's so relaxing! At this point, I am just trying to keep things in balance so I hit the sweet spot between the health and fun benefits of nice sunny days and outdoor activities and keeping the age spots and so on at bay. Both have their good points.

When it comes to skin cancer, the number one most important thing is to keep aware of any changes you might be experiencing and get a semi-regular mole check from a dermatologist - often the most dangerous skin cancers are the ones you can't even see, because they're in some out of the way spot on your back, etc. Those can happen even with sunscreen and keeping covered up, so don't forget to get a decent check up ever so often!

MissTT

I bought a floppy hat this year and only got to wear it once because I'm always inside. The one day I wore it was a pain in the arse because it kept almost blowing off as I walked. Also it flopped so low I couldn't see in front of me. It was a mess but I looked chic as heck.

Prettypackages

I love the Sun and refuse to stay out of it. I have to use sunscreen, not just for vanity, but b/c of all the topicals my doctor has me on. Have you all tried the powdered sunscreens, are they any good to put on throughout the day over makeup?

Prettypackages

The sun might be "behind you" but the UV rays are all around you, sorry to say. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong about being in the sun or avoiding all sun, though. It's just a trade off!

Especially for me, I wound up having a serious vitamin D deficiency due to a combo of not getting sun plus thyroid issues and had to spend a couple of months on a mega-dose and now take smaller D supplements daily. I'm just glad my doctor diagnosed it, because I'm feeling a lot better now. I thought I could just get D from milk products, but that's a total fallacy - it's either the sun, a sun lamp or vitamins, and of course the real sun in the sky is best.

The extra precautions I take are for vanity too! That's ok by me.
girlhaha.gif
I'll never have the porcelain white skin I had at 18 again. I look at pictures from back then and am pretty amazed - you don't always realize what you have when you have it. Sometimes I enjoy being out in the sun. It's so relaxing! At this point, I am just trying to keep things in balance so I hit the sweet spot between the health and fun benefits of nice sunny days and outdoor activities and keeping the age spots and so on at bay. Both have their good points.

When it comes to skin cancer, the number one most important thing is to keep aware of any changes you might be experiencing and get a semi-regular mole check from a dermatologist - often the most dangerous skin cancers are the ones you can't even see, because they're in some out of the way spot on your back, etc. Those can happen even with sunscreen and keeping covered up, so don't forget to get a decent check up ever so often!

So when you guys are reapplying throughout the day, are you wiping your makeup off? You apply over foundation, blush, concealer and etc??? I used to hate sunscreen b/c it always broke me out.
Liba, what is the name of the Neutrongena sunscreen you wear?
I used to know but forgot, but what are the differences in physical and chemical sunscreens. (is that uva/uvb?) Is one better for acne prone skin than the other?

liba

So when you guys are reapplying throughout the day, are you wiping your makeup off? You apply over foundation, blush, concealer and etc??? I used to hate sunscreen b/c it always broke me out.
I used to know but forgot, but what are the differences in physical and chemical sunscreens. (is that uva/uvb?) Is one better for acne prone skin than the other?
Here's what I've been using lately. http://www.neutrogena.com/product/u...reen+broad+spectrum+spf+70.do?sortby=ourPicks It's nothing fancy, but the liquid formula is my preference. I use the Neutrogena Sport Face instead if I'm doing something active like hiking. I bought their Ultra Sheer Dry Touch too, but I don't like it at all for the face - it made my eyes burn like crazy, it was a horribly bad reaction, for some reason.

MissTT

Here's what I've been using lately. http://www.neutrogena.com/product/u...reen+broad+spectrum+spf+70.do?sortby=ourPicks It's nothing fancy, but the liquid formula is my preference. I use the Neutrogena Sport Face instead if I'm doing something active like hiking. I bought their Ultra Sheer Dry Touch too, but I don't like it at all for the face - it made my eyes burn like crazy, it was a horribly bad reaction, for some reason.
I wonder how similar this is to the Lancome Bienfait? Is your face oily or dry, liba?

martiangurll

No, I just reapply foundation to the face, but I make sure it has adequate UVA and UVB protection. And, I use a TM instead if out in the sun a lot. I apply sunscreen to the arms chest and neck where I am not wearing make up. Physical is much better for acne and sensitive skin. (titanium oxide based). Although the PC one I mentioned seems to be doing fine for me with no more break outs than is usual for me (the usual hormonal stuff once a month on my chin)

liba

I wonder how similar this is to the Lancome Bienfait? Is your face oily or dry, liba?
Dry as a bone and I will get breakouts from some sunscreen. 'Haven't used the Lancome, but it's in line with what I used to use from Clarins (although I'm guessing Clarins has newer, improved formulas now, since they keep updating their stuff).

ma146rina

A great sunscreen for oily skin is the Vichy capital soleil dry touch spf 50,it works amazing under makeup too:)
Does anyone know if the prep and prime spf50 has UVA protection too? it doesn't say on the box

MissTT

I've got oily skin so I'll probably stay away from the Neutrogena. The Lancome is a nice clear formula with high SPF, but the price is more than I wanted to pay. It's probably better for drier skin types. Thanks ma146rina for the Vichy recommendation.

erine1881

A great sunscreen for oily skin is the Vichy capital soleil dry touch spf 50,it works amazing under makeup too:) Does anyone know if the prep and prime spf50 has UVA protection too? it doesn't say on the box
Yes, it is. In the US, any cosmetic product labeled as SPF must be broad spectrum, meaning both UVA & UVB.

Wolverina

I guess I've gone the extra step and chosen a job where I work graveyard in a large way because I don't want to spend extended time in the sun. I know it sounds indelicate and completely without scientific merit but I think of myself as essentially meat (in this particular scenario) and I'd rather be in a dark freezer then out in the sun spoiling. No, this gross analogy doesn't extend to others choices. But I'm moving to Portland from the high desert to get farther away from the sun because my skin has reacted terribly to the over exposure. Honestly I can do just fine without it the majority of the time and I grew up on the beach. But I've seen its ravages and I don't want to spend a lot of time having my face become pitted by a tsking derm. Our family has a wide and varied history with skin cancer and I'm keen to avoid that. I'm also the weirdo that is always covered because I trust nothing but full coverage when outside in the day hours. So be it, at 50 I won't be connecting the dots...

MACina

A great sunscreen for oily skin is the Vichy capital soleil dry touch spf 50,it works amazing under makeup too:)
Does anyone know if the prep and prime spf50 has UVA protection too? it doesn't say on the box

Quote: Originally Posted by erine1881

Yes, it is.

In the US, any cosmetic product labeled as SPF must be broad spectrum, meaning both UVA & UVB.
I just ordered it again....I had it some time ago but just when I wanted to repurchase it, I read that they changed the formula
and that it is not as nice anymore.Let' s see....
I am using MAC foundations and so I think that the P+P SPF50 might work best
th_dunno.gif

I switched my whole skin care to MAC recently.I like that I can everything I need from this brand.
As I already said, my skin is very sensitive and gets irritated fast.So I always try to get everything from one brand and do
not mixed different brands.
The only thing that is not MAC at the moment is the Estee Lauder ANR eye serum which I use at night before applying
the mineralize eye cream and that is a great combo for my skin.
I used to use Kanebo before and loved it a lot too.Especially in times of chemo it did miracles for my skin!
But it did not work very good along with MAC foundations and it is really very pricey.So I was looking for a good alternative
(at least in times without chemo) and I think that I found it in MAC.

martiangurll

I just ordered it again....I had it some time ago but just when I wanted to repurchase it, I read that they changed the formula and that it is not as nice anymore.Let' s see.... I am using MAC foundations and so I think that the P+P SPF50 might work best :dunno: I switched my whole skin care to MAC recently.I like that I can everything I need from this brand. As I already said, my skin is very sensitive and gets irritated fast.So I always try to get everything from one brand and do not mixed different brands. The only thing that is not MAC at the moment is the Estee Lauder ANR eye serum which I use at night before applying the mineralize eye cream and that is a great combo for my skin. I used to use Kanebo before and loved it a lot too.Especially in times of chemo it did miracles for my skin! But it did not work very good along with MAC foundations and it is really very pricey.So I was looking for a good alternative (at least in times without chemo) and I think that I found it in MAC.
I want to try the p&p 50 but afraid it will make my foundation slide off. It has to mattify to work on my greasy skin.

MACina

I want to try the p&p 50 but afraid it will make my foundation slide off. It has to mattify to work on my greasy skin.
Many people wrote in their reviews on the MAC site that new texture feels greasy on their skin which
the former didn' t.

I haven' t had any problems with the former texture and I hope that new one will work for me too.
I have dry skin so it might work better for me than for people with oily skin.