MAC freelance rate?

babyjazy21

I was wondering if anyone knows if a MAC freelancer makes the same amount as a make up artist at a counter? I know we cant discuss the exact pay rates but I was just wondering if its about the same amount or not?
Thanks!
tong.gif

miss_supra

Depends on the region and if they are on-call or doing make-up for an event. I'd call a counter manager to find out more info since we shouldn't even be going over ranges.

ductapemyheartt

when i got a freelance position, i was told that, if i was later hired as a permanent employee, the pay rate would stay the same or increase.

miss_supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductapemyheartt
that is what i was told...then what is true?

Maybe in your region it might, but not mine.

babyjazy21

Ductapemyheartt, are you referring to the freelance rate and not to the oncall rate? In my region we get two different pay rates one is for freelance events and the other one is for oncall.
I was kind of bummed out when i was told that
th_dunno.gif

glamdoll

In my region, we too have 2 different rates, one for Freelance and another for oncall. Permanent rate truly depends on your manager, and your experience and such.

meaghanb2926

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_supra
Depends on the region and if they are on-call or doing make-up for an event. I'd call a counter manager to find out more info since we shouldn't even be going over ranges.

Why cant you talk about rates? Whose rule is that?

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaghanb2926
Why cant you talk about rates? Whose rule is that?

its grounds for termination at pretty much any job. plus its just unprofessional to talk about.

meaghanb2926

You're telling me if I was a MUA and was thinking about going to work for a different company that no one would tell me what their going rates are for MUA?

You guys sound a little Big Brotherish....

glamdoll

Yes, no one would tell you their rates because it can get them fired, and its tacky to do so.

Its not big brotheris, but if you've ever held a job, they tell you you are not allowed to discuss payrate at all.

Its just policy in majority of business.
Quote:
You're telling me if I was a MUA and was thinking about going to work for a different company that no one would tell me what their going rates are for MUA?

calbear

OKAY!!! I had a job at Burger King when i was 13 and even they told you that discussing pay information is grounds for termination.

TDoll

Quote:

Yes they would....if they hired you (as with any job you had applied for and they had decided to hire you for). Usually all jobs will offer you a job and a pay rate and it's your decision to accept or reject it. It's not like you just go in and ask them about pay before you actually work there.
In other words, you wouldn't walk into any potential employer before applying and ask what their going pay rates are. It's the same situation here.
But yeah, employees (at pretty much any company are usually asked not to discuss pay rates...not just with "outsiders" but also with their co-workers. Honestly, most employers don't even feel the need to say that because it's pretty common practice.

Hope this makes sense! It's pretty late...lol.

glamdoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
OKAY!!! I had a job at Burger King when i was 13 and even they told you that discussing pay information is grounds for termination.

My first job when I was sixteen, it was well known to start off at minimum, but still we couldnt discuss pay rate. Someone actually got terminated for saying they got paid $6.75 aloud. Weird, but true.

COBI

I don't know off-hand if it's a federal labor law or part of my state's labor law, but terminating someone for discussing wages is actually illegal (at least in my state.) I believe it is thought to keep employers fair in their wage applications. We are not allowed to forbid employees from discussing wages with each other.

Employees are always discouraged from discussing wages especially since many factors go into wage determination and two individuals discussing their respective wages will not have all of the pieces that go with it. And as stated previously, it is tacky.

The way I talk to my employees about it is this: Very rarely will both people walk away happy from a wage discussion. If you are not happy with your salary, please talk to me. What will happen in 99+% of inter-employee wage discussions is that someone is going to walk away feeling bad: either you because you just found out you make less or the other person because they just found out they made less. Is either one of these outcomes desirable? You either feel your wages are fair and reasonable or they are not.

It is tough because in some regions, we have to pay up because of that market's employment conditions and no other reason. So, someone in a different market may find it unfair, but it is the market that we are paying more for versus the actual employee (who reaps the benefits of that market.) What they miss is that market probably also has a higher cost of living.

But even in same office scenarios, other things come into play such as the market when one person is hired versus another (a year or more can make a huge difference), what the perfect candidate was making at their last job can play into a higher wage, actual education and/or work experience, etc. Very little is apples-to-apples in wage discussion/determination.

meaghanb2926

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdoll
Yes, no one would tell you their rates because it can get them fired, and its tacky to do so.

Its not big brotheris, but if you've ever held a job, they tell you you are not allowed to discuss payrate at all.

Its just policy in majority of business.

As head of HR for the company I work for, certainly yes I discourage employees from talking with other employees about what they make. However, I think it ridiculous to expect them not to discuss it with others outside of the company! Also, when perspective applicants call to inquire about available positions they certainly ask what the pay rates are or what the salary range is. While the pay is commiserate with experience, I absolutely let them know what they could expect to make if they applied and were accepted. It would be unfair of me not to and a waste of their time (and mine) to make them come in to interview only for them to find out that a wage is too low.

I certainly am not suggesting that everyone divulge exactly what they make but I also think for the benefit of people here who are considering a career change and want to get into the makeup industry it is unfair to not give them an idea of what they could expect to make. The point of this site is to help people... How are you helping someone by refusing to give them an idea of what they could expect monetarily if they made a life altering choice such as a career change?