MAC freelance rate?

Whiterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjazy21
wow so I guess a lot of people misunderstood my first post, so go ahead and read it once or more if necessary. I said if freelance from oncall pay rates are different in no moment did I ask how much was it. Miss_supra mislead a lot of people bc she said ask the manager for wages since we shouldn't go over then. Thanks but that wasn't my question and I don't need to know what u make or not bc it's not my business. All I asked is if it's two different rates which is a yes or no answer. No need to go into details nor to pull out your pay stubb to post exact wages

lol! this thread definitely went off on a tangent...
the answer is a definite YES.
Freelance VS. OnCall
You get paid a little bit more when you are doing an event, etc. (ie. freelance hours).
Oncall is just a little bit less.

aimee

i agree with whiterz it is like that in switzerland atleast
smiles.gif

to the policy thing....i work at an office (not make up related) we ship things...and i signed a contract too and im not allowed to talk about my salary etc. most companys have policies like this and i think its ok.

glamdoll

Quote:
wow so I guess a lot of people misunderstood my first post, so go ahead and read it once or more if necessary. I said if freelance from oncall pay rates are different in no moment did I ask how much was it. Miss_supra mislead a lot of people bc she said ask the manager for wages since we shouldn't go over then. Thanks but that wasn't my question and I don't need to know what u make or not bc it's not my business. All I asked is if it's two different rates which is a yes or no answer. No need to go into details nor to pull out your pay stubb to post exact wages

Actually you are mistaken,it was not Miss Supra who mislead anyone, Meaghan was the one that insinuated that we weren't giving our rates because of "big brother" or fear for the corporate machine. Which is why the thread turn sour, it was an attack to employees abiding by our contracts.

To get a truly accurate response, I would still call a manager because, yes Freelance and Oncall get different rates, and as for permanent counter position pays it also varies. Some might get offered more than freelance/oncall some may not, it depends on skills and qualifications. Which pretty much just leaves your same question unaswered.

Management would be the best way to go to get an accurate response, I know that the rates in California are different than rates like in Florida, it has to do alot w/ your region and usually most states have different cost of living which affects how much people get paid and such.

HTH

meaghanb2926

If you read my original post it was just a question as to whose rule this was. The only response I received originally was that of "its grounds for termination at pretty much any job. plus its just unprofessional to talk about". No one actually stated that MAC specifically makes you sign a contract to this effect until the second page of this thread (which was well after things "went sour"). A signed contract is a bit different than everyone going off about how tacky it is to talk about pay, etc... At no point was I trying to attack anyone for abiding by a written contract.

We are all entitled to our own opinions and while I may disagree with the theory behind the way certain huge corporations do things I will still respect what each of you as individuals have to say about the matter. I might not agree with you but I wont attack you personally for your opinion as others have done to me. So I'm going to take my "low reading comprehension level" and get off my "high horse" and try not to appear so "young" and "self righteous" and take the higher road than some and agree to disagree as hickle suggested.

babyjazy21

Actually no I'm not mistaken bc if u take the time and go back and actually read the previous posts u would understand.
Also I don't see the big fuss here. If you are not trying to say if there's a difference between on call and freelance and you are going to go all crazy about it why post a reply?
I understand what meaghan was saying because it's not like your going to get fired just because you discuss the difference between on call and freelance.
One more thing, if I'd want to call a manager I'd already have done that but I wanted to ask other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdoll
Actually you are mistaken,it was not Miss Supra who mislead anyone, Meaghan was the one that insinuated that we weren't giving our rates because of "big brother" or fear for the corporate machine. Which is why the thread turn sour, it was an attack to employees abiding by our contracts.

To get a truly accurate response, I would still call a manager because, yes Freelance and Oncall get different rates, and as for permanent counter position pays it also varies. Some might get offered more than freelance/oncall some may not, it depends on skills and qualifications. Which pretty much just leaves your same question unaswered.

Management would be the best way to go to get an accurate response, I know that the rates in California are different than rates like in Florida, it has to do alot w/ your region and usually most states have different cost of living which affects how much people get paid and such.

HTH

miss_supra

Quote:
Actually no I'm not mistaken bc if u take the time and go back and actually read the previous posts u would understand.
Also I don't see the big fuss here. If you are not trying to say if there's a difference between on call and freelance and you are going to go all crazy about it why post a reply?
I understand what meaghan was saying because it's not like your going to get fired just because you discuss the difference between on call and freelance.
One more thing, if I'd want to call a manager I'd already have done that but I wanted to ask other people.

Please understand we cannot say anything about pay, including does freelance makes the same or different. No talk of pay period. Maybe if you were hired and read the paperwork you'd see what the fuss is. If any one wants to break their contact let them, I won't and was merely educating other we can't discuss pay at all.

COBI

Another thought, although it may be in the contract, it does not mean that it is legally enforceable if it violates labor laws in the state that you work it.

I would NOT suggest intentionally doing things restricted in your contract just because you can, but it is *very* important to not only understand your contract, but to also understand your rights as an employee in your state.

As another example, many people sign non-compete contracts, and they are rarely enforceable.

babyjazy21

Actually just to let you know now I am a MAC artist. I was originally hired as a freelance but the manager loved me so offered me a position at her store immediately. I asked her if we can tell people if a freelancer makes more or less than on call and she said yes. As a matter if fact when we have people asking us of course we cannot discuss exact pay rates until after hired but we can definetly tell them there is a different wage between on call and freelance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_supra
Please understand we cannot say anything about pay, including does freelance makes the same or different. No talk of pay period. Maybe if you were hired and read the paperwork you'd see what the fuss is. If any one wants to break their contact let them, I won't and was merely educating other we can't discuss pay at all.

InRetospeck

Here I will just give you the deal because I would have loved someone to help me out when I started. I am not sure of the exact rate for freelance, but in my area I think it is around $15.00 an hour and for on call $18.00. Now to work at a MAC store as a employee they start out at $15.00 and it goes by your experence. Counter employee's start around $13.50. This is in my region and I am in the North East. I hope that helps. The raises are between 1 and 4% depending on your goal, attitude... ect.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
Another thought, although it may be in the contract, it does not mean that it is legally enforceable if it violates labor laws in the state that you work it.

I would NOT suggest intentionally doing things restricted in your contract just because you can, but it is *very* important to not only understand your contract, but to also understand your rights as an employee in your state.

As another example, many people sign non-compete contracts, and they are rarely enforceable.

in my state, they can fire you with or without cause. so even if i don't break any policies or contract rules by job is at risk, so i won't chance it either way.

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
in my state, they can fire you with or without cause. so even if i don't break any policies or contract rules by job is at risk, so i won't chance it either way.

This is in my state, also; it's called "free will" employment. You are free to leave and we are free to ask you to leave. However, everyone keeps referring to a "contract". Is it really an employment contract or is it simply signed guidelines/expectations? For example, employees at the bank have to sign Code of Ethics and Confidentiality agreements every year. They are not "contracts" for employment; however, violating them would likely lead to termination. That termination would not violate any other labor laws in my state.

It is difficult/impossible to be both a free will employee and a contract employee.

Again, just because MAC puts it in a contract does not mean that it is legally enforceable in every state. That is my only point: know your rights, too. I am not saying go against your contract if your state says you can, but you should certainly be aware of your own rights. Even employees terminated in "free will" states have won discrimination and wrongful termination lawsuits; "free will" does not always protect the employer, particularly if they violate a labor law. Even with free will, a company can not violate labor laws in terminating an employee.

Even if we had an employee sign a "no pay discussion" clause, we could not fire them for that violation alone in my state because it violates the employee's rights to forbid them from discussing pay. How would an employee determine if they were being discriminated against (pay-wise) if we forbid them discussing it? Again, we discourage it, but we can NOT legally forbid it or terminate/punish them for doing it.

And I would still discourage talking about it even if it wasn't in a contract.

Macnarsandlove

arent a lot of things on specktra grounds for termination? I mean I'm pretty sure that telling details from unreleased collections if ur a MAC mua against the rules? I'm sure putting pics up that u took at updates is a no no too.

Tacky or not, this is specktra its not that serious. As a freelancer, NOT for MAC u have a pretty good idea what ppl make from company to company.

ms.marymac

drama.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. I think a lot of people won't discuss because they are just uncomfortable with it. I personally don't enjoy it even when someone asks me how much I paid for something I own. Some people are just funny about money.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith130
arent a lot of things on specktra grounds for termination? I mean I'm pretty sure that telling details from unreleased collections if ur a MAC mua against the rules? I'm sure putting pics up that u took at updates is a no no too.

actually, none of that is against the rules. we show custies our update book at the counter all the time. we let them see the testers early and play with the colors. it gets people amped for the new collections.

baybehbekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith130

Tacky or not, this is specktra its not that serious. As a freelancer, NOT for MAC u have a pretty good idea what ppl make from company to company.

i think you're right. i have to look in my code of conduct book to check that out because i remember my manager telling me something about that. totally off topic but a good point!

InRetospeck

"actually, none of that is against the rules. we show custies our update book at the counter all the time. we let them see the testers early and play with the colors. it gets people amped for the new collections."

Well your very lucky because that would have been a no-no at the MAC I worked for... I remember getting into trouble for showing a customer one piece of a new collection that was not out yet. Different stores, managers, trainers have different rules!! LOL. I am glad you can show them so they can come back too you and BUY it!!