MAC Items Being Discontinued in 2013 Discussion

erine1881

Handwritten is an exact dupe for Brown Down... except it is more pigmented because of its Matte² finish. You aren't really missing out on anything... Brown Down was a pretty big disappointment for me, especially because I already had Handwritten and I didn't know they were dupes until I swatched them side by side... which is probably MAC discontinued it.
:agree:

auriannjag42

i have brown script and saddle...brown script is a reddish brown matte and saddle is a great transition color...saddle and texture are similar but texture has more of a shimmer to it and folie when i swatched in store seemed to be in between handwritten and brown script
Oh I totally understand!! I'm going through a matte brown obsession stage myself! I'm saving up for my next haul... I think I'm getting Folie, Soba, Ground Brown, Texture, Saddle, Haux and Brown Script. Hopefully none of those are dupes for ones that I already have. I have to buy mine online also -- I don't have a MAC store near me :( I know this is a little off topic but do you ladies know if the ones I listed are dupes to: Cork, Handwritten, Brown Down, Brun, Embark, or Espresso... I really don't want anymore repeats! :headbang:

Sarah Caron

I know that they have been discontinued for a while, but I wonder if MAC will repromote the 222 and 226 brushes... I am DYING to get both of them. I wasn't into purchasing MAC brushes when they were out... and I doubt the Sigma ones are anywhere near as good. Please MAC Gods... hear my prayers!

shellygrrl

Staff member
I have the MAC Me Over version of the 226, along with the Sigma E45. Neither are a favourite these days. I much prefer the Louise Young LY38. That said, if I had to pick either the 226 or E45, I'd go with the E45. It's a lot closer to the original BBR 226 (I think it was first out with Blonde Brunette Redhead?), from what I've been able to tell. The MMO 226 I have seems a bit more like a fluffier 224.

Sarah Caron

I have the MAC Me Over version of the 226, along with the Sigma E45. Neither are a favourite these days. I much prefer the Louise Young LY38. That said, if I had to pick either the 226 or E45, I'd go with the E45. It's a lot closer to the original BBR 226 (I think it was first out with Blonde Brunette Redhead?), from what I've been able to tell. The MMO 226 I have seems a bit more like a fluffier 224.
Where can you get Louise Young brushes in the United States? I thought they only shipped in Europe. I've been eyeing the LY38 for a while...

shellygrrl

Staff member
The Louise Young site ships worldwide, actually! :) But nowadays, a good chunk of the brushes (including the LY38!) are available at Nordstrom. (I bought mine direct, though.)

jennyap

Almost everything mentioned here is still on the UK Mac site. Before they disappear here too, what are the must-haves?

kimibos

i got the 249 brush and i love it for applying paint pots and bases on my eyes. i kind of want a smaller version.

Medgal07

i got the 249 brush and i love it for applying paint pots and bases on my eyes. i kind of want a smaller version.
wavey.gif
Kimibos. You might like the 242, which is smaller than the 249. I use on a daily basis for applying paint pots.

kimibos

wavey.gif
Kimibos. You might like the 242, which is smaller than the 249. I use on a daily basis for applying paint pots.
th_hug.gif
thanks ill add that one to my list. im not into makeup that much right now so im going to focus on getting my brush collection bigger.

mushroomteagirl

Almost everything mentioned here is still on the UK Mac site. Before they disappear here too, what are the must-haves?
Jenny i already checked with MAC and they said the 249 brush is not going to be discontinued in the UK so you can skip that if you don't need it yet.

bulbasaur359

I was perusing the site this morning and noticed that Asian flower Sheen supreme was sold out. Is it in error or r they discontinuing that shade. Would be stupid as lavenders r having a moment right now. Thanks.

tiramisu

Where can you get Louise Young brushes in the United States? I thought they only shipped in Europe. I've been eyeing the LY38 for a while...
You can get Louise Young brushes now at Nordies online! I did have the hubs order me brushes from overseas for Christmas, only to find out a couple weeks later that Nordstrom had a nice selection online. Figures! :) Hth

and I too am so sad about samoa silk! Hope they replace it with a similar but even better shade. It is pretty unique. Haven't found a dupe of that one.

Prettypackages

Handwritten is an exact dupe for Brown Down... except it is more pigmented because of its Matte² finish. You aren't really missing out on anything... Brown Down was a pretty big disappointment for me, especially because I already had Handwritten and I didn't know they were dupes until I swatched them side by side... which is probably why MAC discontinued it.
i just bought handwritten on a whim. I love it.

kittenish

I got b.u. Of kid, samoa silk, brown down, and managed to score on a bisque! Sweet. I haven't hit pan on any of those yet but I love those colors

Latest posts