MAC- Lightful Discussion

lethaldesign

How did this new skincare collection go under the radar? I noticed it this morning when checking out the new Slimshines online.

LIGHTFUL: A new ultra-charged formula from the innovative, skin-brightening Lightful collection. Lightful Ultramoisture Creme: instantly hydrates and adds glow to the skin. For ongoing brightness wear solo or layered over Lightful Essence.

LIGHTFUL ULTRMOISTURE CREAM: A lightweight creme with the freshness of a gel that provides intensive hydration and high-level skin-brightening. Instantly creates a soft, luminous, natural-looking glow.
US$36.00

LIGHTFUL CLEANSER: Everyday cleanser with a soft foamy smooth-on, rinse-off action. Efficiently removes makeup. Cleanses, calms, refreshes and balances the skin. Manages oily areas, soothes dry skin, and helps reduce redness.
US$22.00

LIGHTFUL SOFTENING LOTION: An ultra-fluid lotion that refreshes the skin, making it feel softer, moister, more refreshed. Imparts gentle radiance to the skin. With ongoing use, brightens the skin, evens out skin tones, and helps reduce the look of skin.
US$28.00

LIGHTFUL ESSENCE: Highly concentrated, lightweight gel that easily absorbs into the skin without surface residue. Calms, refines and moisturizes the skin. Clarifies the look of the skin: adds soft radiance.
US$40.00

Anybody have any information on these new skincare products???

Krasevayadancer

Re: Lightful Discussion

Looks to me like they are promoting the previous asia only release in america. Not a new product, but i believe its the first time that they are opening it up to all of the us.

priss

this is lightful's second time around. and last year it went just as unnoticed. we had it at our pro store here. im not sure if it made it to any of our store counters. i know for sure nordstrom's (dallas) didnt get the launch. they may have it this time around. it was available on the mac site last year also

purrtykitty

I'm curious about this as well. The descriptions seem to have lightening agents/properties to them. I'm wondering if these will lighten my freckles, then. I'd love to have something that gives that soft and luminous look to my skin, but not at the expense of my freckles.

erine1881

the first one is a new product that is asia only. why its online i don't know.

lightful ultramoisture creme - a rich hydrating cream that helps improve skin's moisturization while helping to combat discolouration.

and another product that is new that wasn't mentioned:

lightful ultracharge spf 25/pa+++ foundation (also asia only) - a charge you don't plug in. a new ultra-light foundation that brightens your skin as it provides a flawless base for your look. botanically-based, this powder goes on dry and instantly brighten and protect the skin. sheer and delicate in application, it creates its own powerful illuminating effect. a foundation that akes its lightful place on your skin, solo - or as the critical last layer of your daily skin-brightening regimen.

these are sold as an empty compact and a refill.

Millason

I called around to all the MAC counters in my city, and they either didn't have it or didn't know what I was talking about so I ordered from online. I'll let you know my thoughts when I get it.

priss

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
unless you live in asia, you won't find it at stores or counters.

why does mac think americans want to walk around looking ashy and dull? we want glow and the dewy look too!!

seriously, thanks for the update.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by priss
why does mac think americans want to walk around looking ashy and dull? we want glow and the dewy look too!!

seriously, thanks for the update.

in asia, it is highly desirable to have very fair, light skin. these products help accomplish this. or at least help prevent the skin from darkening. over here, that isn't what people want. here, more people want darker skin. thats why everyone tans (be it by the sun or tanning beds). in the us, skin lightening products aren't as popular as they are in asia. thats just how it it.

Meryl

This was available at MAC counters, here in Toronto, one year ago at this time. I remember because I bought some of the products. I'm just finishing them up now.

I noticed, last summer, they weren't being displayed anymore and the MA told me they put them in the drawers and they weren't going to be out for awhile.

Anyway, I like the cream and the Softening Lotion, which is really a toner, is great.

priss

Quote:
in asia, it is highly desirable to have very fair, light skin. these products help accomplish this. or at least help prevent the skin from darkening. over here, that isn't what people want. here, more people want darker skin. thats why everyone tans (be it by the sun or tanning beds). in the us, skin lightening products aren't as popular as they are in asia. thats just how it it.

hey erine,

last year the lightful launch wasnt about lightening the whole complexion. it was about lightening hyperpigmentation, blemishes, age spots and the stuff that typically makes the skin look older. do you know if is this version aimed at lightening the whole complexion? im asking because i bought one or two things last year and they are being repromoted as the same product- but if you have information about changes in active ingredients i'd like to know.

the blurb on the mac site reads exactly like last year's launch with the focus being on evening out the complexion, not lightening the whole face but your post reads like maybe this time around the focus is different. let me know the scoop!!

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by priss
hey erine,

last year the lightful launch wasnt about lightening the whole complexion. it was about lightening hyperpigmentation, blemishes, age spots and the stuff that typically makes the skin look older. do you know if is this version aimed at lightening the whole complexion? im asking because i bought one or two things last year and they are being repromoted as the same product- but if you have information about changes in active ingredients i'd like to know.

the blurb on the mac site reads exactly like last year's launch with the focus being on evening out the complexion, not lightening the whole face but your post reads like maybe this time around the focus is different. let me know the scoop!!

sorry if i misled you. it doesn't act as a "bleaching" product. it does even out the skin by reducing hyperpigmentation. what i was getting at is that they are an allover product, not a spot "treatment" product. they lighten and brighten the entire face, as opposed to just being applied to certain hyperpigmentized spots on the face. does that make sense? however, it is marketed more towards the asian demographic. the new products will not be at the same stores that recieved the products last year (based on our update books. the stores that got them last year were listed in our books back then, however, this new moisturizer and foundation are only listed for asia). like i said before, these products sell well in asia, but aren't really targeted nor desired here in the states as much as they are in asia.

the repromoted products are the same as before.

does that help clear things up a bit?

SquirrelQueen

Quote:
sorry if i misled you. it doesn't act as a "bleaching" product. it does even out the skin by reducing hyperpigmentation. what i was getting at is that they are an allover product, not a spot "treatment" product. they lighten and brighten the entire face, as opposed to just being applied to certain hyperpigmentized spots on the face. does that make sense? however, it is marketed more towards the asian demographic. the new products will not be at the same stores that recieved the products last year (based on our update books. the stores that got them last year were listed in our books back then, however, this new moisturizer and foundation are only listed for asia). like i said before, these products sell well in asia, but aren't really targeted nor desired here in the states as much as they are in asia.

I've seen an Asian Estee Lauder whitening/brightening product at a CCO but read reviews that it was very drying, so I passed on it last time I was there. Glad to see that MAC is making this line more widely available.

You know, I think as the population gets *ahem* older, we're going to see more interest in lightening/brightening skin products. Throughout a woman's lifecycle, there's a risk for melasma during pregnancy, when taking BCPs and during menopause and perimenopause. Some experts maintain that hyperpigmentation is actually more aging than wrinkles.

And no ethnic group is excluded. While hyperpigmentation might be more obvious on light-skinned Caucasian or Asian women, those with darker skin can experience uneven skintone as well. It seems that it may be harder to treat darker-complected women with hyperpigmentation because so many treatments (hydroquinone and laser) can leave lighter-colored blotches (hypopigmentation).

I'm having SO much fun with perimenopause (NOT!) but I plan to get the products in this new line. I've used sunscreen and Retin-A for many years and have relatively little discoloration---not enough to ever justify laser or even hydroquinone but enough that this should work well for me.

priss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelQueen
I've seen an Asian Estee Lauder whitening/brightening product at a CCO but read reviews that it was very drying, so I passed on it last time I was there. Glad to see that MAC is making this line more widely available.

You know, I think as the population gets *ahem* older, we're going to see more interest in lightening/brightening skin products. Throughout a woman's lifecycle, there's a risk for melasma during pregnancy, when taking BCPs and during menopause and perimenopause. Some experts maintain that hyperpigmentation is actually more aging than wrinkles.

And no ethnic group is excluded. While hyperpigmentation might be more obvious on light-skinned Caucasian or Asian women, those with darker skin can experience uneven skintone as well. It seems that it may be harder to treat darker-complected women with hyperpigmentation because so many treatments (hydroquinone and laser) can leave lighter-colored blotches (hypopigmentation).

I'm having SO much fun with perimenopause (NOT!) but I plan to get the products in this new line. I've used sunscreen and Retin-A for many years and have relatively little discoloration---not enough to ever justify laser or even hydroquinone but enough that this should work well for me.

i'll bet at least 50 girls from the women of color forum will chime in on this one. you are exactly right. i am an adult acne sufferer and trust me when i say hyperpigmentation is very prevalent in dark skinned races. and its not only acne scarring that we struggle with. if you are ethnic and suffer from "smile lines" not only do you have the wrinkle but the area darkens as well. our crows feet get dark and every other line and wrinkle gets dark as well.

its is very difficult to treat our skin. most lasers are developed for skin with little pigment. most products are developed for the same skin which leaves us out.

this was my experience with last years lightful products. i think these products are geared toward light to moderate discolorations issues.

Jesi

While the "lightening" properties are interesting, I would like to know how well the moisturizing properties of this/these products are, especially for dry skin. Thanks.

BlahWah

I'm hoping it's similar to Shiseido's White Lucent line. It may have just been all in my head but after 2-3 weeks of using the Shiseido toner and gel moisturizer (from samples), my face seemed to glow a bit more and looked healthier in general (i.e. more even, less acne). It'd be great to get this from MAC b/c it's a) cheaper! and b) B2M-able!
thmbup.gif

Latest posts