MAC - Lightfully Bright Discussion

Allura Beauty

At the moment, mine are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. It's a bit of a hectic day for me, but at some point, I should be able to get swatches. I wouldn't be too worried about these selling out, since the collection seems very hush-hush and most were under the impression that the products were going to be Asian exclusive. I wonder if Mac changed their collective mind when they found out there was a market for such things in other places.

I agree. I wouldn't really worry about them selling out that quickly.

JennsJewelz

Welcome, freesiafc! :)

I got my package today of the skincare products, my 3rd Peacocky haul (
eeksign.gif
) and some refills I needed - I JUST missed the UPS truck as they were leaving my building, and managed to chase after it and caught the guy's attention!! Hilaaarious.... so surprised I didn't wipe out!!!

I'll let everyone know how I like everything once I get to try it out :) Hope everyone gets their lipglosses soon! :)

katred

Specktra Bestie
Hello ladies, newbie here. I usually just lurk about but i couldn't resist and ordered all four as well, hopefully I will like all of them.

Goodness, where are my manners?
th_770016001157748873-final.gif

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions on them. Personally, I'm really excited. I feel a little better about splurging since it looks like WW may be a skip for me entirely. I think that these could be lovely both on their own and paired with lipsticks.

goldilocks88

I really want these...but I'm just trying to justify them! I'm going to the WW event on Tuesday and am expecting to drop $100 or so...can I really do these too??
th_wallbash.gif

LMD84

this will be one of the rare times that i break my mac budget! but i must have the glosses! well the lilac and blue anyways! please let them come to the uk mac! petty please!!

katred

Specktra Bestie
Package received! These are going to be a bitch and a half (excuse my language) to swatch, because they change a lot in the light. I'll try to get some good images and post them later.

goldilocks88

Package received! These are going to be a bitch and a half (excuse my language) to swatch, because they change a lot in the light. I'll try to get some good images and post them later.
I can't wait to see your swatches...I know I'm totally gonna cave and order at least a couple of these!

Allura Beauty

I think that, despite the divide over packaging, WW will still be a sell-out collection. Maybe we should start a betting pool on which items will sell out in the first 24 hrs?
tong.gif

I will pick the glosses up along with my WW collection purchase and will add swatches too.

LMD84

I think that, despite the divide over packaging, WW will still be a sell-out collection. Maybe we should start a betting pool on which items will sell out in the first 24 hrs?
tong.gif

I will pick the glosses up along with my WW collection purchase and will add swatches too.
the sad thing is, is that some people will buy up the ww stuff just to sell on ebay and stuff :(

lunadestella

Omg! Thank you Katred!! Can't wait to see your swatches. Would you mind telling me about the purple one and what you think about it? Is it too purple or is it on the sheer side? I have NARS Downtown lipgloss and when I ordered it I thought it was going to be a lavender but it was way too purple on my lips to be a good thing. Still love it though lol. Thank you in advance!

AiriMagdalene

This worries me a lot. MAC knows full well how crazed their collectors get and have to realize that people in the states are going to want the Asia exclusives and resort to ebay to buy them. MAC also knows that the overwhelming majority of fake MAC comes out of Asia, so people are going to buy things from Asia that they think are from this collection that are more than likely going to be fake. So many people are going to get intensely ripped off because of all of this.

katred

Specktra Bestie
Okey-dokey, here goes. First, a few words:

As expected, the colours are quite sheer. They each have their own distinct characteristics, but they aren't going to bring a ton of colour. They'll be wonderful in Spring/ Summer. The fact that they're sheer makes them difficult to swatch and photograph. Even these photographs are kind of blech because it's cloudy here and using the flash would wash these out entirely. The sheerness reminds me a little of the Plushglasses, although they don't have that "sting effect"- just similar colour payoff. So, to start, here are just some plain swatches, on paper and on skin, taken in natural light with no flash:

Atmospheric/ Outer Space/ Astro-Cool/ Ethereal

Ethereal/ Astro-Cool/ Outer Space/ Atmospheric

Thoughts on the individual glosses (all photos on bare lips, lightly to medium-ly (??) pigmented, no flash, natural light, two swipes of gloss each)

Atmospheric- A cool pink that added some rosiness to my lips and a lot of sparkle. It's subtle, but there's a definitely pink tinge on the lips. The sparkle is cooler than the base and makes the overall look a little cooler as well. Very pretty and delicate. I think this one would appeal to a lot of people.

Outer Space- AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! This one was so difficult to photograph on the lips!!! My advice is to look at the skin and paper swatches, because the lip swatch really isn't a good representation. This is the creamiest and most opaque of the glosses. Being creamier, it's a little more difficult to get it even, but I did manage. It is definitely more white than pink, although there is a hint of pink to the colour that apparently becomes a lot more obvious in photos! (It looks much paler in person.) The shimmer in this one is not as sparkly, more like a reflective sheen. This one is more of an acquired taste (not everyone loves white glosses), but if you like these sorts of colours, this is definitely worth picking up.

Astro-Cool- This is the least pigmented of the glosses. It's a very silvery lilac colour, but the base seems almost invisible. This one has quite a lot of sparkle and it does look cooler on the lips than Atmospheric. I wish it had been a little more pigmented. I'm thinking it would look really nice over a pale purple/ lilac lipstick, though, because that would emphasise the base colour. This one is so gorgeous in the tube, I almost think it's worth having just to look at, but overall, the lack of pigment makes this one the most skippable for me.

Ethereal- This is a more turquoise blue than I was expecting, although the effect on the lips is still to add a blue cast. It's more pigmented than Astro-Cool, not as pigmented as Outer Space. It definitely gives the lips a chilled look and I find that it's more evident on the lips than other blue glosses. It doesn't have the sparkle of either Astro-Cool or Atmospheric, but there is a bit of pink visible in it for sure. Once again, this did not photograph very well. You kind of get the idea, but it's more visible in person. You can do a really cool effect by depositing a larger amount right on the centre of the lips, which makes the blue tone that much more obvious. Again, blue lips aren't to everyone's taste, but this one is surprisingly unique and has an almost retro look to it.

And finally, a little comparison for you:

First row: Atmospheric/ Nico/ Palatial- I had thought Nico would be closer to Astro-Cool, but it's kind of in the same family as Atmospheric. Nico's base colour is darker and greyer. A blog that I linked a while back had compared it to Palatial, but, as you can see, they're absolutely nothing alike. Going from memory, I think Atmospheric is kind of close to either Fluesterose or Full For You Plushglass, but I don't have either of those, so it's just a guess.

Second row: Outer Space/ Almondine- I had just started writing this when I realised that I also shouhld have included Icescape in the photo. Almondine is obviously a lot warmer, as you can see. Icescape is in the same family, but noticeably pinker. Someone had suggested Snowscene as a possible dupe, but I don't have that one. If I remember it well, I do think it's a reasonably good match.

Third Row: Astro-Cool/ Metal Maven- I thought that A-C was closer to a silver than to any of the lilac colours I have, although you can see that MM is darker. I saw it compared to Utterly Discrete, which had more of a taupe base and I think the fact that both are quite sheer and lean cool do make them more similar to each other than to other glosses I've seen. Moth to Flame Dazzleglass is sort of similar, but quite a bit pinker.

Fourth row: Ethereal/ Chillin'/ Best of Breed- You'd think that, being pale blue glosses, you'd find a dupe easily among these three, but you'd be wrong. The turquoise lean of Ethereal makes it stand out against the others. Best of Breed is quite a bit greyer and cooler. Chillin'... Well, I'm still kind of wondering why I got that. It has virtually no colour payoff and you can see how much sheerer it is compared to the other two.

Hope that helps everybody make some decisions! I wouldn't worry too much about these selling out. On the Canadian site, at least, if you don't know they're there, you'd never find them. Happy shopping!

katred

Specktra Bestie
Omg! Thank you Katred!! Can't wait to see your swatches. Would you mind telling me about the purple one and what you think about it? Is it too purple or is it on the sheer side? I have NARS Downtown lipgloss and when I ordered it I thought it was going to be a lavender but it was way too purple on my lips to be a good thing. Still love it though lol. Thank you in advance!
My pleasure. It's definitely on the sheer side. I have NARS downtown as well and I think that's a much prettier and more unique shade, personally. It's definitely more pigmented. HTH!

singer82

Thanks Katred!!! Hmmm.... not sure what to think. I was hoping Astro Cool would be more purple. But I found out we had a MAC counter here! So I'll be able to swatch in person, YAY