MAC magazine advertisement? Since when?

Efionawade

Re: Just curious about this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
^^^100% correct!

It's one of the things I love about working for MAC! I don't go out and see huge billboards advertising my work!

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efionawade
It's one of the things I love about working for MAC! I don't go out and see huge billboards advertising my work!

just imagine if mac had a gazillion items advertised in magazines! it already sucks when custies come in saying they saw a product in a magazine and they wanna check it out. of course they don't bring the magazine tear in with them and they expect you to know what they're talking about! so just imagine, if mac did advertise on their own, how many more people would do this!
shockt.gif

Efionawade

Quote:
just imagine if mac had a gazillion items advertised in magazines! it already sucks when custies come in saying they saw a product in a magazine and they wanna check it out. of course they don't bring the magazine tear in with them and they expect you to know what they're talking about! so just imagine, if mac did advertise on their own, how many more people would do this!
shockt.gif

I couldn't even imagine that! At least if they say they saw, say... FERGIE in a magazine advertising lipsticks, we'd know what to show the customer!

nanali

I have never received any post cards from them before. However, like half a year ago I still get their Emails, but no I don't even get anything from them any more! QQ

geeko

I believe a good brand does not need to rely on advertising in the media ...

jus by word of mouth alone is enough to help it can new customers.

anita22

Magazines generally promote whichever brands they are getting paid to promote. There is a definite bias if a brand is paying for advertising. Personally I never pay attention to what things magazines recommend in terms of beauty products, because the recommendations are so biased. I'd rather look for consumer recommendations online. This is coming from someone who works in marketing!

boudoirblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efionawade
It's because MAC doesn't advertise anything but out Viva Glam products! All those companies that you see credited pay to be mentioned! MAC doesn't! If you ever see a MAC product in a magazine, it's because the magazine wanted it there! We don't advertise anything except out charity products!

Quote:
^^^100% correct!

Actually (and I don't want to sound like a know it all) but MAC advertises in V magazine quite regularly (not just VG either!)

ETA:
P4200007.jpg

This is the inside back cover of the Summer 2008 V mag with Gwyneth Paltrow on the front (the most recent issue I have lying around)

LatinaRose

There was an ad for Hello Kitty in the February issue of InStyle. A full page paid for ad, not an editorial snippet.

kisou

Ya, I never see any full out ads... but I do pick up Japanese street fashion magazines monthly (KERA and egg) and MAC products are used randomly here and there. Considering how things are listed in the magazines, I really doubt MAC paid for advertizing in them. BUT, the entire Sugarsweet collection was pimped out by egg in about a quarter of a page along with other new makeup.

I also laughed a little bit when in one of the makeup how-to pages one of the Cult of Cherry quads was used!

Also, I kind of wish I would have kept my MAC postcards! I've gotten about 3 or 4 postcards now including the December 2008 promo, Hello Kitty, and Colour Ready.

BunnyBunnyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudoirblonde
Actually (and I don't want to sound like a know it all) but MAC advertises in V magazine quite regularly (not just VG either!)

ETA:
P4200007.jpg

This is the inside back cover of the Summer 2008 V mag with Gwyneth Paltrow on the front (the most recent issue I have lying around)

I was about to mention this! I saw that issue last year at the MAC Pro Store in NYC! It is a beautiful, high quality ad! So simple and strong! I do believe I saw some other ones too. One with Gwen Stefani on the cover? The MAC ad was probably the back inside cover too.

MAC_Fafinette14

Not so much advertising, but both MAC and MUFE makeup products are often used and mentioned in the photo stories for the magazine Z!NK. (Great mag; I love the photography)

ms.marymac

I see MAC used a lot in Nylon Magazine.

I have noticed lately that a lot of magazines are featuring drug store brands. In addition to being paid to promote, I think it is just because of the way people are shopping now, too. They have kind of changed the way they are presenting products.

And I don't believe for a minute that MAC doesn't pay to be pimped out...lol. Sorry. Maybe not back in the day, but now that EL is at the wheel, I would not put it past them. :X