MAC Return and Exchange Policy Questions

nicole2005

Returns to MAC

I found a couple of old MAC products that have not been used. (old as in, the hello kitty collection in february). I used most of what I bought but didn't open a couple of things, like the Pretty Baby beauty powder, b/c my Emanuel Ungaro one is so similar. So I kinda put 3 products aside and just found them. I don't need them and wanted to return them to Macys, since the 180 return policy isn't up quite yet.
Are they going to give me a problem returning them? Am I going to get the nastiest looks?
cry.gif

mindlessgapgirl

Re: Returns to MAC

you should try to sell them on here...if you return them to MAC they will just get tossed away which is a huge waste. plus, it is sort of rude to return something 6 months after you bought it...that's just my opinion. you would know within a week or so if you liked it or if you had a reaction or something. i'm sure some girls on here would be happy to purchase the items from you!

nicole2005

Thanks!
I tried selling them on Ebay about a week ago, but I got no bids.
I guess I'll continue to try to sell them online.

singrsling

winks.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole2005
Thanks!
I tried selling them on Ebay about a week ago, but I got no bids.
I guess I'll continue to try to sell them online.

Yep, between the listing fes and the "commission" eBay gets expensive. Usually you can put a low starting bid but have a minimum amount. but still probably these sites are better as long as you have good feedback, etc.

And if you are not greedy and sell for below retail, if it's popular, you'll usually get some buyers.

malvales

Gosh I hate to think that all those things that people exchange are thrown in the bin, even for unused products. I do do do hope they recycle or do anything but wasting. I agree that we should be able to exchange if there is a faulty in the products but somehow, somehow... i still can't fathom if people return it because they decide they don't like the colors and there goes $20 eye shadow to the bin.

mizvolta

I really find it hard to believe they would actually throw a returned product away. Why not use it for testers? If someone tried it on at home, how is that different from the product being tried on in the store anyways?

sss215

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursee81
I think macys policy is 90 days

It's 180 days

macaddict83

Sooo I asked my sister for a new bottle of Fix + for my birthday and the MUA at Macy's gave her the studio lotion instead. If she goes to exchange, will they throw out the studio lotion eventhough its never been open? Or would it go in the B2M bin?

glitzbeary

Returning false lashes?

I bought a pair based on the suggestion of a SA. I only put on one of them and hated how it looked on me. The other one is trimmed down but not even used. I took the set back to the MAC counter at Belk and the SA (a different one) said I couldn't return them because they are used and they can't resell them or anything (but makeup, used or not, you can return). I don't understand why I can return used makeup but not a pair of lashes that didn't work for me. Is she correct or should I try again with a different SA?

sillylilacs

Re: Returning false lashes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitzbeary
I took the set back to the MAC counter at Belk and the SA (a different one) said I couldn't return them because they are used and they can't resell them or anything (but makeup, used or not, you can return). I don't understand why I can return used makeup but not a pair of lashes that didn't work for me. Is she correct or should I try again with a different SA?

Try a different SA. At MAC, it doesn't matter if the item is used or not, even if it's brand new, you walked out, walked back in, they're not allowed to sell it and they do let you return it. Same with drugstore even!

This sounds very weird. =/ As long as you go back to the same counter its fine. (sometimes they get picky with that along with store vs counter). But yea, just request a different SA.

Good luck!

erine1881

used lashes (even if they aren't used but have been removed from the packaging) can not be returned. unfortunately that's a chance you take with purchasing lashes. trying lashes is a choice you take at the counter, and isn't for everyone. mac can't tell if you used them and truely didn't like them, or you used them to go out, and you're returning them to cheat the system, basically "renting" lashes. its happened in the past, so that's why mac has set the policy of no returns on used or removed lashes.

Makeup Emporium

^^^That makes sense. I actually think their return policy is way too generous and they shouldn't return half of the things they do. I know a lot of people buy too much and then have buyer's remorse and return some of it. To me that should not be allowed. It's a waste of product. The more that MAC has to waste by accepting returns the more it affects the price that the rest of us have to pay!

sillylilacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
used lashes (even if they aren't used but have been removed from the packaging) can not be returned. unfortunately that's a chance you take with purchasing lashes. trying lashes is a choice you take at the counter, and isn't for everyone. mac can't tell if you used them and truely didn't like them, or you used them to go out, and you're returning them to cheat the system, basically "renting" lashes. its happened in the past, so that's why mac has set the policy of no returns on used or removed lashes.

o_O Makes sense...I stand corrected! =D The MAC I always goto accepted returns on everything...or so they say...

But thanks! I would've never known!

DILLIGAF

I know its a dent to the wallet but maybe you can use them for B2M? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but lash packaging counts right?

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF
I know its a dent to the wallet but maybe you can use them for B2M? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but lash packaging counts right?

not anymore you can't. as of 2 weeks ago, they no longer accept lash cases as they're now considered accessories. accessories have never been accepted.

PeachTwist

Ok so...

When I was in the USA this summer I went to my first MAC counter and asked to get colour matched. Now I'm like 99% sure this MA told me NW20. Anyway at the time I didn't buy anything because I decided to wait and go to a store to see if someone else agreed. She didn't, but for the life of me I can't remember what shade she said I was.

Anyway, here I am back in the UK and I ordered my first foundation from them. Studio Tech in NW20. I wanted a full coverage foundation and it said it was buildable etc. Now, it felt nice on my skin... and maybe my lighting wasn't great (I'm gonna try it again in daylight to be 100% sure) but my mother commented saying my face looked dirty after I applied it. :|

I also don't feel like the concealer I bought from them did any good either. I got that in NW15, a shade lighter than my foundation like the MA at the counter told me to do. That was the Studio Finish concealer.

My question is, will they take these back and either refund/exchange? If they do exchange, can it be for any product or does it have to be for foundation/concealer? I figure seeing as I don't know my shade like I thought I did, I may as well get some new eyeshadows/lipstick instead?

I'm really upset neither seemed to have worked for me. I really wanted them to but I don't feel like it's right of me to exchange for different shades or something until I get the right one. It's a total waste of their time and mine, and product if it's just going to get thrown out.

Edit: Sorry - really hope someone can help me! I just looked on the website and it says

Quote:
Please note that we cannot accept returned goods that we reasonably believe have been used. In such circumstances, we will notify you that no refund will be available and you will be responsible for arranging for such goods to be returned to you within 28 days of our notification.

So does this mean I won't be able to return the foundation/concealer for a refund or exchange? Obviously they have been used - I tried them in hopes that they were the right shade for me and they weren't. Help. :|