MAC Strength Collection Discussion (December 2012)

Anneri

Chicprofile posted on FB today that this won't be available in Greece, Romania and other European contries.
001_unsure.gif
ALL other European countries, Naynadine? What about Germany? I'd be really pissed if we don't get that one either!

MACina

yahoo.gif
....this is great
pompom.gif

Thank you very much for your review liba
th_hug.gif

I saw Strength today and I've been putting all my reporting effort into talking about Apres Chic, but I did want to pop in for some quickie impressions here.

First off, let me say that Absolute Power, the "rich red", is ah-maaaa-zing! I'd throw my Marilyn reds in the trash to get this one, if that's what it took. It's so bright and rich and vibrant. I'd call it my Holy Grail cherry red. If all I had was Scarlet Ibis, Runaway Red and Absolute Power, I would have all the best reds I could possibly need. As much as the other new lipsticks are gorgeous in this collection, Absolute Power is my #1 top pick, and that's saying a lot. This is the BU worthy color of the collection.
th_star.gif

Taupe Shape is everything I hoped it would be. Strada never worked for me, but this one gives me instant hollow cheekbones to the Nth degree. Not weird looking at all and very foolproof to apply. Also works great on the eyes! It's strictly a contour color, though. If you want to add a pop of color above, Poised is very impressive. Not powdery or chalky at all and the color is very subtle and nude but still shows up well on me. It's got a canceling effect and a brightening effect at the same time. I never buy these colors because they either don't show up on me or look powdery and accentuates peach fuzz. This one I will buy eagerly though! Both of these blushes have a beautiful natural skin effect to them, just a little under a glow, but not matte either. Winners!!!

Firm Form feels really good on - it's got a little waxier feeling than the other MAC "good mattes", but it goes on perfectly smoothly and stays on. The gold highlight is subtle but not invisible. The whole effect is slightly warm toned - you can wear this with a bare face just fine. I also tried lining the outline of my lips in Night Moth and that gave a really good, volume effect, without turning the lipstick shade red.

Strong Woman is a little weird. At first it doesn't seem so original and it looks slightly dull in tone. Then, in a little better light, you see the hidden richness in the color. It's not quite as dark as Heroine and it's not quite as in your face bright, but there's something about it that made me like it and not want to pass on it (I love purples, but I'm not 100% team purple - I skip them if they seem to red or too plum, usually).This Strong Woman vs. Heroine is kind of like comparing Quick Sizzle to Pink Pigeon, one is a little richer and more sophisticated and "adult", while the other is wilder and more fun times. The closest lipstick I own to Strong Woman is Bust Out, but obviously the textures are very different. Bust Out has a bit more red too, but both of them have about the same degree of brightness (light reflectivity). If I had to pick only one, I'd probably go with the Seductive Intent mattene, because that one's bluer and more brilliantly bright and a touch more fun. Strong Woman does blot down into a really beautiful effect, so there's that!

Lastly, the All Woman quad is filled with good stuff. The white vxp is an amazing highlight for right under the brow or in the tear ducts - a top shelf pure white. Black Magique is rich and smooth and dark (but still slightly warm), much better than the usual carbon. Brains & Brawn and All Woman are both really effective greyed out neutrals that aren't so cool as to clash with the warm tones around my eyes, but still read nice and cool on my skin. Cool eye shadows are very often tricky for me, so these are worth the money - they're balanced really well to give just the right effect. I didn't try the other quad on my eyes, but I'd say that's the one for truly cool-toned ladies and for the very pale. Some very soft pretty colors in that one. Neutrals seem so boring, but these are about as unboring as a standard neutral shadow can get. Very good quality in these quads.

BuickMackane

I saw Strength today and I've been putting all my reporting effort into talking about Apres Chic, but I did want to pop in for some quickie impressions here.

First off, let me say that Absolute Power, the "rich red", is ah-maaaa-zing! I'd throw my Marilyn reds in the trash to get this one, if that's what it took. It's so bright and rich and vibrant. I'd call it my Holy Grail cherry red. If all I had was Scarlet Ibis, Runaway Red and Absolute Power, I would have all the best reds I could possibly need. As much as the other new lipsticks are gorgeous in this collection, Absolute Power is my #1 top pick, and that's saying a lot. This is the BU worthy color of the collection.
th_star.gif

Taupe Shape is everything I hoped it would be. Strada never worked for me, but this one gives me instant hollow cheekbones to the Nth degree. Not weird looking at all and very foolproof to apply. Also works great on the eyes! It's strictly a contour color, though. If you want to add a pop of color above, Poised is very impressive. Not powdery or chalky at all and the color is very subtle and nude but still shows up well on me. It's got a canceling effect and a brightening effect at the same time. I never buy these colors because they either don't show up on me or look powdery and accentuates peach fuzz. This one I will buy eagerly though! Both of these blushes have a beautiful natural skin effect to them, just a little under a glow, but not matte either. Winners!!!

Firm Form feels really good on - it's got a little waxier feeling than the other MAC "good mattes", but it goes on perfectly smoothly and stays on. The gold highlight is subtle but not invisible. The whole effect is slightly warm toned - you can wear this with a bare face just fine. I also tried lining the outline of my lips in Night Moth and that gave a really good, volume effect, without turning the lipstick shade red.

Strong Woman is a little weird. At first it doesn't seem so original and it looks slightly dull in tone. Then, in a little better light, you see the hidden richness in the color. It's not quite as dark as Heroine and it's not quite as in your face bright, but there's something about it that made me like it and not want to pass on it (I love purples, but I'm not 100% team purple - I skip them if they seem to red or too plum, usually).This Strong Woman vs. Heroine is kind of like comparing Quick Sizzle to Pink Pigeon, one is a little richer and more sophisticated and "adult", while the other is wilder and more fun times. The closest lipstick I own to Strong Woman is Bust Out, but obviously the textures are very different. Bust Out has a bit more red too, but both of them have about the same degree of brightness (light reflectivity). If I had to pick only one, I'd probably go with the Seductive Intent mattene, because that one's bluer and more brilliantly bright and a touch more fun. Strong Woman does blot down into a really beautiful effect, so there's that!

Lastly, the All Woman quad is filled with good stuff. The white vxp is an amazing highlight for right under the brow or in the tear ducts - a top shelf pure white. Black Magique is rich and smooth and dark (but still slightly warm), much better than the usual carbon. Brains & Brawn and All Woman are both really effective greyed out neutrals that aren't so cool as to clash with the warm tones around my eyes, but still read nice and cool on my skin. Cool eye shadows are very often tricky for me, so these are worth the money - they're balanced really well to give just the right effect. I didn't try the other quad on my eyes, but I'd say that's the one for truly cool-toned ladies and for the very pale. Some very soft pretty colors in that one. Neutrals seem so boring, but these are about as unboring as a standard neutral shadow can get. Very good quality in these quads.
Thank you so much for the review liba!
flower.gif

I'm so glad I'm getting a CP for this collection. I'd be gutted if I missed it.

I'm getting all 5 lippies, both blushes and All Woman quad. I wish I'd added Inner Strength quad to my CP too
th_wallbash.gif
. My collection needs some soft neutrals and this quad seems very promising.

Liz2012

Called the pro store yesterday, apparently this collection will be available in Belgium but online only. I hope MAC won't handle this collection the same way as they did with "By Request" here or i'll miss out again for sure
th_rolleye0014.gif

LadyMisfit

Can someone tell me if Force of Love ls looks similar to Party Parrot ls? I own Force of Love and I barely ever reach for it. I found a picture online on swatches of both of them side to side and it looks almost dupe where I don't think I need to own both. Please help!!

BuickMackane

Can someone tell me if Force of Love ls looks similar to Party Parrot ls? I own Force of Love and I barely ever reach for it. I found a picture online on swatches of both of them side to side and it looks almost dupe where I don't think I need to own both. Please help!!
I only have Force of Love so I can't be of much help, but perhaps the swatches below can.

http://www.phyrra.net/2012/03/top-bright-mac-lipstick-swatches.html
http://www.mybeautyblackbook.com/?p=5619
To me they look different enough to own both. Which is why I'm getting Party Parrot
pompom.gif

MRV

Okay, this is what Mac UK says:

Sharon: We have a provisional date for FEBRUARY 2013, This is subject to change though so please keep checking back!

Hmmm?

CartoonChic

Thanks, liba! The All Woman quad was a maybe on my list. I think you've pushed it into a definite. The lipsticks haven't changed. Team 5 plus BUs.

martiangurll

Thanks, liba! The All Woman quad was a maybe on my list. I think you've pushed it into a definite. The lipsticks haven't changed. Team 5 plus BUs.
Isn't that the truth? MAC is definitely coming out with some winners. I probably won't get BU, but I will probably commit criminal activities to get my hands on all 5. (Well, hopefully I can get them legitimately)

CartoonChic

They are not the same. The same color family, yes, but Party Parrot is darker than Force of Love. Force of Love is much brighter, almost neon on me. Party Parrot is more toned down. The comparison between the two makes me think of what liba said about Strong Woman vs Heroine and Quick Sizzle vs Pink Pigeon in her review --> "...one is a little richer and more sophisticated and "adult", while the other is wilder and more fun times."

Liz2012

Thanks for the detailed reviews Liba, appreciated!
peace2.gif
I was only interested in the lippies and blushes, but now i'm considering the quads as well
amuse.gif
You make everything seem so appealing lol :)

OctoberViolet

Thank you so very much liba!!!! I always enjoy reading your reviews & thoughts. I'm sticking with my original plan. Firm Form lipstick x2, Strong Woman lipstick and Taupe Blush. I need to try and take it easy with the buying since so many new collections are also coming out next year.

Corally

I saw Strength today and I've been putting all my reporting effort into talking about Apres Chic, but I did want to pop in for some quickie impressions here. First off, let me say that Absolute Power, the "rich red", is ah-maaaa-zing! I'd throw my Marilyn reds in the trash to get this one, if that's what it took. It's so bright and rich and vibrant. I'd call it my Holy Grail cherry red. If all I had was Scarlet Ibis, Runaway Red and Absolute Power, I would have all the best reds I could possibly need. As much as the other new lipsticks are gorgeous in this collection, Absolute Power is my #1 top pick, and that's saying a lot. This is the BU worthy color of the collection. :star: Taupe Shape is everything I hoped it would be. Strada never worked for me, but this one gives me instant hollow cheekbones to the Nth degree. Not weird looking at all and very foolproof to apply. Also works great on the eyes! It's strictly a contour color, though. If you want to add a pop of color above, Poised is very impressive. Not powdery or chalky at all and the color is very subtle and nude but still shows up well on me. It's got a canceling effect and a brightening effect at the same time. I never buy these colors because they either don't show up on me or look powdery and accentuates peach fuzz. This one I will buy eagerly though! Both of these blushes have a beautiful natural skin effect to them, just a little under a glow, but not matte either. Winners!!! Firm Form feels really good on - it's got a little waxier feeling than the other MAC "good mattes", but it goes on perfectly smoothly and stays on. The gold highlight is subtle but not invisible. The whole effect is slightly warm toned - you can wear this with a bare face just fine. I also tried lining the outline of my lips in Night Moth and that gave a really good, volume effect, without turning the lipstick shade red.  Strong Woman is a little weird. At first it doesn't seem so original and it looks slightly dull in tone. Then, in a little better light, you see the hidden richness in the color. It's not quite as dark as Heroine and it's not quite as in your face bright, but there's something about it that made me like it and not want to pass on it (I love purples, but I'm not 100% team purple - I skip them if they seem to red or too plum, usually).This Strong Woman vs. Heroine is kind of like comparing Quick Sizzle to Pink Pigeon, one is a little richer and more sophisticated and "adult", while the other is wilder and more fun times. The closest lipstick I own to Strong Woman is Bust Out, but obviously the textures are very different. Bust Out has a bit more red too, but both of them have about the same degree of brightness (light reflectivity). If I had to pick only one, I'd probably go with the Seductive Intent mattene, because that one's bluer and more brilliantly bright and a touch more fun. Strong Woman does blot down into a really beautiful effect, so there's that! Lastly, the All Woman quad is filled with good stuff. The white vxp is an amazing highlight for right under the brow or in the tear ducts - a top shelf pure white. Black Magique is rich and smooth and dark (but still slightly warm), much better than the usual carbon. Brains & Brawn and All Woman are both really effective greyed out neutrals that aren't so cool as to clash with the warm tones around my eyes, but still read nice and cool on my skin. Cool eye shadows are very often tricky for me, so these are worth the money - they're balanced really well to give just the right effect. I didn't try the other quad on my eyes, but I'd say that's the one for truly cool-toned ladies and for the very pale. Some very soft pretty colors in that one. Neutrals seem so boring, but these are about as unboring as a standard neutral shadow can get. Very good quality in these quads.
Thank you so much for the review! Is Poised very similar to blushes like Pink Cult? And how taupe is Taupe Shape? Atm I'm using Taupe from NYX for contouring and I love it but I'm always on the hunt for something better. :p

ChosenOne

th_star.gif

urock.gif
Thanks yet again, liba!

Your comment about Absolute Power and the Marilyn lippies made my jaw drop. Deeply Adored has become my HG red, so it's hard for me to imagine something better! AP is obviously brighter than that though. Are there any reds that are out or have been out before that you could draw a comparison to? Is it like Cherry l/l in lipstick form?

Thanks for your comment about Strong Woman vs. Seductive Intent also! I just got my SI yesterday and fell in love with it, and based on your comment, I might be able to skip SW (which means I can afford one more thing from the AC collection, lol).

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
ALL other German countries, Naynadine? What about Germany? I'd be really pissed if we don't get that one either!
I don't know. Romania and Greece were the only ones she mentioned, ''and (some) other European countries''.
shrugs.gif