MAC Strength Collection Discussion (December 2012)

Prettypackages

THanks Liba!!! I think I am getting everything from this collex then. so no backups for me.

I hope taupe is a decent replacement from Notorious. (if you all see one, let me know).

I hope I am around or have access to a laptop when this comes online. Is this still coming out on 12/26?

Liz2012

Hm.. do you know what the release date is?
I don't know the exact release date nope sorry
th_dunno.gif
But if i recall correctly we didn't get a release date for "By Request" either, it just popped up on the website out of the blue, a few days after the UK release. If you really don't wanna miss out a CP would still be the best way to go i suppose.

littlelamb

I was trying to keep a small haul, but these reviews are making me reconsider. My list was originally just going to be Pink Pigeon and Strong Woman, but now I'm considering Party Parrot or Absolute Power also. Might have to go to the store when they open for this one!

I'm also really intrigued by Taupe Shape at Jason Wu. I think I might need this one for contouring.

CharlieKelly

I saw Strength today and I've been putting all my reporting effort into talking about Apres Chic, but I did want to pop in for some quickie impressions here.

First off, let me say that Absolute Power, the "rich red", is ah-maaaa-zing! I'd throw my Marilyn reds in the trash to get this one, if that's what it took. It's so bright and rich and vibrant. I'd call it my Holy Grail cherry red. If all I had was Scarlet Ibis, Runaway Red and Absolute Power, I would have all the best reds I could possibly need. As much as the other new lipsticks are gorgeous in this collection, Absolute Power is my #1 top pick, and that's saying a lot. This is the BU worthy color of the collection.
th_star.gif
Man I did not want to hear this!! LOL. This is the only want I want! and the pink ones to try them too but I absolutely need absolute power. Le sigh.

purplerinne

I live in Santa Rosa, CA and the store I called is in Torrance CA, where my friend lives. I though you have to be physically in the store to be able to pre-order. Don't you? That is why I asked the one friend I have in Torrance to place and order for me after I talked to the manager. Thank you, I will call them tomorrow and try my luck.
u don't need to be in the store....isn't there a store at Corte Madera? still far but it's something.....hope u get what u want

CharlieKelly

u don't need to be in the store....isn't there a store at Corte Madera? still far but it's something.....hope u get what u want
Is there? I think there is one at Macys and the one inside Nordstrom. Googgling right now. Thanks!!

ETA: There is only one inside Norsdtrom no actual MAC store in Corte Madera. The nearest ones would be San Francisco. Will try my luck there. Thanks again

mrsdee

urock.gif
Thanks yet again, liba!

Your comment about Absolute Power and the Marilyn lippies made my jaw drop. Deeply Adored has become my HG red, so it's hard for me to imagine something better! AP is obviously brighter than that though. Are there any reds that are out or have been out before that you could draw a comparison to? Is it like Cherry l/l in lipstick form?

Thanks for your comment about Strong Woman vs. Seductive Intent also! I just got my SI yesterday and fell in love with it, and based on your comment, I might be able to skip SW (which means I can afford one more thing from the AC collection, lol).
I can relate to your reaction. LOL

Mine was more like this...

I WAS on the fence about Absolute Power, not anymore. Thanks Liba!!!!
th_thstars.gif

Spikesmom

Can someone tell me if Force of Love ls looks similar to Party Parrot ls? I own Force of Love and I barely ever reach for it. I found a picture online on swatches of both of them side to side and it looks almost dupe where I don't think I need to own both. Please help!!

ladyarwen

Aha! I knew Absolute Power would be a must. I'm still getting all the lipsticks (except for Party Parrot since I already have it.) Undecided about the blushes.

singer82

Hmmm not really wanting much. I've got makeup I barely use that needs more love. So I'm trying to be really really picky. And really go through my stash to see if I have something similar. I already have party parrot and quick sizzle. But I can see why everyone wants them, they are gorgeous! Absolute Power sounds awesome. Wonder if it's like Ruffian Red, it pulls bright cherry red on me. Since I didn't get a bu maybe I'll still snatch up AP.

singer82

Oh Liba my ultimate enabler hehe. I always look forward to your reviews!!! :hug: Do you think the red lippy it's anything near Ruffian Red? RR pulls cherry red on me.

Naughtyp

hmmm rethinking my order now I figured I didn't need the red after all the Marilyn lippies I got... I'm wondering if I still need: Party Parrot ( I have Impassioned and moxie) Pink Pigeon ( I have CYY, outrageously fun, quick sizzle, dear diary, night blooming and show orchid) Strong Woman ( I have Heroine, Violetta and ordered Seductive Intent) even the Absolute Power ( I have Runway red, Russian red, charmed I'm sure, love goddess, deeply adored) do I need more lipsticks in these shades? ;/ so far I only preordered PP, PiPi and SW. guess ill have to chance it and check the red out in person

LavenderPearl

Quote: Originally Posted by Naughtyp

hmmm rethinking my order now I figured I didn't need the red after all the Marilyn lippies I got...
I'm wondering if I still need:
Party Parrot ( I have Impassioned and moxie)
Pink Pigeon ( I have CYY, outrageously fun, quick sizzle, dear diary, night blooming and show orchid)
Strong Woman ( I have Heroine, Violetta and ordered Seductive Intent)
even the Absolute Power ( I have Runway red, Russian red, charmed I'm sure, love goddess, deeply adored)
do I need more lipsticks in these shades? ;/ so far I only preordered PP, PiPi and SW. guess ill have to chance it and check the red out in person

girlhaha.gif
You always need more lipstick!

Thanks for the review Liba! I think it's safe to say that Strength is getting a lot of my money... from your reviews I'm just liking the colors here more than Apres Chic. I kind of just want to drop by my local counter and see if they have these available for swatching, though. That would really allow me to pinpoint exactly what I want. As of right now, I'm going to stay my original list stands -- 1x Firm Form and Pink Pigeon, 2x Absolute Power, Party Parrot, and Strong Woman -- with the All Woman quad as a tentative maybe.

lilinah

Thank you so much for the detailed review, liba! Definitely helpful!

No matter what, i'm getting Firm Form. I'm now likely to pass on Strong Woman, sounds too pink for me. And Absolute Power was already a "no" for me - red lipstick makes me look like a cross between a clown and a bag lady.

No matter what, i'm getting Taupe Shape. And i will have to remember to bring my neutral pink blushes with me to test Poised. It sounds like my kind of color, but i already have Pink Tea and Pink Cult - but not sure how close they are...

Other than one lipstick and one or two blushes, that's it for me.

I'll be home this weekend, heading to my local MAC Sunday or Monday, and i'll try to do some swatch photos...

liba

Thank you so much for the detailed review, liba! Definitely helpful!

No matter what, i'm getting Firm Form. I'm now likely to pass on Strong Woman, sounds too pink for me. And Absolute Power was already a "no" for me - red lipstick makes me look like a cross between a clown and a bag lady.

No matter what, i'm getting Taupe Shape. And i will have to remember to bring my neutral pink blushes with me to test Poised. It sounds like my kind of color, but i already have Pink Tea and Pink Cult - but not sure how close they are...

Other than one lipstick and one or two blushes, that's it for me.

I'll be home this weekend, heading to my local MAC Sunday or Monday, and i'll try to do some swatch photos...
Poised is more of a peachy nude, a la Launch Away, but much less pink. Pink Tea and Pink Cult are both very different from it. Actually, MAC hasn't done blush colors like this for a while - everything peach was also rather pastel and bright, while Poised is much closer to a skin color. Checking it out in person is a good idea!

Anneri

Liba, thanks for all the reviews! Really appreciate the time and consideration that is behind it.

In your review, you compared Bust out to Strong Woman. I have Bust out and it's really a kind of a meh colour on me. It's not bad, but it's really nothing special. I assume that Strong Woman could suit me better because it's richer in colour (I'm between NC15 and 20). What would you say?

And: Is the taupe blush (sorry, don't know the proper names by memory yet) a true taupe?

Thank you!

MRV

Poised is more of a peachy nude, a la Launch Away, but much less pink. Pink Tea and Pink Cult are both very different from it. Actually, MAC hasn't done blush colors like this for a while - everything peach was also rather pastel and bright, while Poised is much closer to a skin color. Checking it out in person is a good idea!
You sealed the deal for this one! (and most of the other items, too!
lol.gif
) Thank yor for ALL the reviews! It is very helpful because I have to order some of the collections without seeing them IRL.

The hardest part, however, is to wait 2 months till February for these
cry.gif
!