MAC Strength Collection Discussion (December 2012)

Naughtyp

lol I kno.... of course I do!! ha ;) can't wait to get them!! I Actually can't stop thinking about the red one now dammit lol

liba

You sealed the deal for this one! (and most of the other items, too!
lol.gif
) Thank yor for ALL the reviews! It is very helpful because I have to order some of the collections without seeing them IRL.

The hardest part, however, is to wait 2 months till February for these
cry.gif
!
Thanks! I love to talk about all this stuff. Also I know how iffy photos often are - sometimes it's better to just talk about these products, because they're too complicated to capture with even the best photography. I know I probably wouldn't even allow myself to buy anything if I couldn't see it in person, so I honor you for being brave and taking a chance - that's why I try to be as detailed as I can manage. I wouldn't want to see people buy rare LE items sight unseen, then have to return them or have them sit in a drawer collecting dust.
grouphug2.gif

Anneri

Thank you liba for your detailed answer! Now I just have to pray to all makeup gods that the Collection will make an appearance over here!

prettygirl

Thank you for your detailed review, Liba!!
urock.gif
. I am TEAM 4 lippies, since I can't for the life of me think of a time where I will wear black lipstick! You talked me into the red one
eyelove.gif
. Both lip liners. And I'm still debating the blushers, since I just got alot of Nars blushers! I cannot wait until this collection launches!! I hope I don't miss it!!!
mac_atemywallet.gif

CharlieKelly

u don't need to be in the store....isn't there a store at Corte Madera? still far but it's something.....hope u get what u want
Bit shut out to purplerinne!! I was finally able to pre-order the lipsticks at the SF Pro Store. They are supposed to be delivered on Monday. I am so frigging excited I could Gangnam Style right now.

nanaparty.gif

MACerette

Can someone tell me if Force of Love ls looks similar to Party Parrot ls? I own Force of Love and I barely ever reach for it. I found a picture online on swatches of both of them side to side and it looks almost dupe where I don't think I need to own both. Please help!!
FoL has nothing on PP. Not even close. To me at least... I have worn FoL once or so and PP I love to wear
eyelove.gif
Very striking l/s.

Yazmin

You sealed the deal for this one! (and most of the other items, too!
lol.gif
) Thank yor for ALL the reviews! It is very helpful because I have to order some of the collections without seeing them IRL.

The hardest part, however, is to wait 2 months till February for these
cry.gif
!
Thanks! I love to talk about all this stuff. Also I know how iffy photos often are - sometimes it's better to just talk about these products, because they're too complicated to capture with even the best photography. I know I probably wouldn't even allow myself to buy anything if I couldn't see it in person, so I honor you for being brave and taking a chance - that's why I try to be as detailed as I can manage. I wouldn't want to see people buy rare LE items sight unseen, then have to return them or have them sit in a drawer collecting dust.
grouphug2.gif
Thanks liba! You provide such wonderfully detailed reviews and commentary! How do you remember it all?!

liba

Thanks liba! You provide such wonderfully detailed reviews and commentary! How do you remember it all?!
I love color! 'Used to be a fine artist/graphic artist/designer so I've got a color theory background too. Also, I love makeup, so there ya go! Plus, I spend hours just hanging out and chit chatting and trying everything on in different ways because I'm personal friends with my store's manager, so it gives me plenty of time to take everything in. I always am excited to come home and write everything up about what I saw!

aradhana

I love color! 'Used to be a fine artist/graphic artist/designer so I've got a color theory background too. Also, I love makeup, so there ya go! Plus, I spend hours just hanging out and chit chatting and trying everything on in different ways because I'm personal friends with my store's manager, so it gives me plenty of time to take everything in. I always am excited to come home and write everything up about what I saw!
i was wondering the same thing as yazmin...i kept getting the names of the shades on my list mixed up in my head, and i thought 'how does liba remember everything so accurately, with the name and all the details of shimmers and undertones'...it seems like you have a photographic memory for not just colours but also cosmetic products in general!

thank you so much for the reviews. my local stores and counters don't usually allow advance previews of the collections, so your descriptions are very helpful in narrowing (or expanding lol!) my list.
i'm hoping to go in to the store this week to place my pre-order/have stuff put aside. i'd like to place it with my favourite sales assistant, but i think she might only be working later in the week...i guess there is still time...

katred

Specktra Bestie
I saw Strength today and I've been putting all my reporting effort into talking about Apres Chic, but I did want to pop in for some quickie impressions here.

First off, let me say that Absolute Power, the "rich red", is ah-maaaa-zing! I'd throw my Marilyn reds in the trash to get this one, if that's what it took. It's so bright and rich and vibrant. I'd call it my Holy Grail cherry red. If all I had was Scarlet Ibis, Runaway Red and Absolute Power, I would have all the best reds I could possibly need. As much as the other new lipsticks are gorgeous in this collection, Absolute Power is my #1 top pick, and that's saying a lot. This is the BU worthy color of the collection.
th_star.gif

Taupe Shape is everything I hoped it would be. Strada never worked for me, but this one gives me instant hollow cheekbones to the Nth degree. Not weird looking at all and very foolproof to apply. Also works great on the eyes! It's strictly a contour color, though. If you want to add a pop of color above, Poised is very impressive. Not powdery or chalky at all and the color is very subtle and nude but still shows up well on me. It's got a canceling effect and a brightening effect at the same time. I never buy these colors because they either don't show up on me or look powdery and accentuates peach fuzz. This one I will buy eagerly though! Both of these blushes have a beautiful natural skin effect to them, just a little under a glow, but not matte either. Winners!!!

Firm Form feels really good on - it's got a little waxier feeling than the other MAC "good mattes", but it goes on perfectly smoothly and stays on. The gold highlight is subtle but not invisible. The whole effect is slightly warm toned - you can wear this with a bare face just fine. I also tried lining the outline of my lips in Night Moth and that gave a really good, volume effect, without turning the lipstick shade red.

Strong Woman is a little weird. At first it doesn't seem so original and it looks slightly dull in tone. Then, in a little better light, you see the hidden richness in the color. It's not quite as dark as Heroine and it's not quite as in your face bright, but there's something about it that made me like it and not want to pass on it (I love purples, but I'm not 100% team purple - I skip them if they seem to red or too plum, usually).This Strong Woman vs. Heroine is kind of like comparing Quick Sizzle to Pink Pigeon, one is a little richer and more sophisticated and "adult", while the other is wilder and more fun times. The closest lipstick I own to Strong Woman is Bust Out, but obviously the textures are very different. Bust Out has a bit more red too, but both of them have about the same degree of brightness (light reflectivity). If I had to pick only one, I'd probably go with the Seductive Intent mattene, because that one's bluer and more brilliantly bright and a touch more fun. Strong Woman does blot down into a really beautiful effect, so there's that!

Lastly, the All Woman quad is filled with good stuff. The white vxp is an amazing highlight for right under the brow or in the tear ducts - a top shelf pure white. Black Magique is rich and smooth and dark (but still slightly warm), much better than the usual carbon. Brains & Brawn and All Woman are both really effective greyed out neutrals that aren't so cool as to clash with the warm tones around my eyes, but still read nice and cool on my skin. Cool eye shadows are very often tricky for me, so these are worth the money - they're balanced really well to give just the right effect. I didn't try the other quad on my eyes, but I'd say that's the one for truly cool-toned ladies and for the very pale. Some very soft pretty colors in that one. Neutrals seem so boring, but these are about as unboring as a standard neutral shadow can get. Very good quality in these quads.
I love reading your reviews. Based on this and the photos I've seen added to the thread (thank you all!) I honestly might end up buying every one of the lipsticks in this collection. I was pretty sure I had enough reds to last me forever, but reading your description of this one, I can't really pass it up. Strong Woman sounds like it would be right up my alley. I was wearing Bust Out earlier this week and remembered how much I liked it.

aradhana

I received some stuff from illamasqua today, which included their lipstick in drench. In the tube it looks like a Love Goddess type pink, but when I applied it looks red...It got me wondering how close it exactly is to LG, and if it might be close enough to Absolute Power to allow me to to skip that one. I'm going to compare it tomorrow to LG and also Ruby Woo. I love the colour and texture of RW, though not how drying it is, so I wouldn't mind another lipstick in that vein but w better formulation!

PrettyKitty

I will probably only get Party Parrot, Absolute Power and Taupe Shape blush. Maybe the lip pencils, not sure yet.

dorni

Sadly this seems to be online only in Europe. I was so looking forward to this collection, but I don't have the time and patience for website-stalking. Perhaps I should consider asking for a cp.

TheLadyDanger

Are Party Parrot and Pink Pigeon comparable to any of the ones I already have (the bright colors I have from MAC are Moxie, Watch Me Simmer and Candy Yum-Yum)? I love bright lipsticks, but if I can manipulate Party Parrot and Pink Pigeon with the lipsticks I already have and lip liners, I'll skip.

I was planning on getting all lipsticks and Taupe Shape, but I thought I'd consult with my fellow Specktra members.
bigstar.gif

P.S. Any news yet on an approximate date when it'll launch online? All I know it will prior to the store launch on the 26th.

duckrodeo

Quote:Originally Posted by Monsy

No one seems excited about quads
huh2.gif

I've actually got my eye mainly on the quads. Maybe some of the blushes and maybe Absolute Power l/s. I do have Party Parrot and Pink Pigeon, though, so unless I decide to get a BU of Party Parrot, I'm just sticking to the powders.

badassSENORiTA

I've actually got my eye mainly on the quads. Maybe some of the blushes and maybe Absolute Power l/s. I do have Party Parrot and Pink Pigeon, though, so unless I decide to get a BU of Party Parrot, I'm just sticking to the powders.
I am as well! I want to see the colors though if they aren't similar to any the colors I have on the UD naked palette, I love neutral shadows! can't get enough of them and lipsticks I pretty much wear any color, but I stick to pink a lot so I know I will be getting pink pigeon for sure! I want firm form too and not sure about strong woman lipstick. It's pretty but I think want
seductive intent from the tt collection, so similar to heroine but lighter which is a plus for me!

Latest posts