MAC Vibe Tribe Collection (May 12/19 2016)

montREALady

I like gleamSTONES better and will persist in my wrongness. :cool:

Ha! Well really, gleamstones is obviously the better name, lol!

Double like! Gleamstones definitely sounds more chic. Mine is coming Tuesday. Can't wait!
I find it so funny that I more thought everyone in here was right over MAC, lmaoooo! We make more sense!

The Gleamtones is pretty, but tbh, like Naya said, I'm not sure that it's anything extraordinary but I guess it's good to have in the packaging. It kind of reminds me of one of the Wet n Wild highlighters, or I guess a brick highlighter. I didn't swatch each color individually but all together it was a nice sheen. Mine just got delivered at home with Arrowhead. Ugggh, I won't be right home later and I doubt hubby will want to go to the rental office to get the package for me.

GreenEyedAllie

LIKE button

Double like! Gleamstones definitely sounds more chic. Mine is coming Tuesday. Can't wait!

I find it so funny that I more thought everyone in here was right over MAC, lmaoooo! We make more sense!

The Gleamtones is pretty, but tbh, like Naya said, I'm not sure that it's anything extraordinary but I guess it's good to have in the packaging. It kind of reminds me of one of the Wet n Wild highlighters, or I guess a brick highlighter. I didn't swatch each color individually but all together it was a nice sheen. Mine just got delivered at home with Arrowhead. Ugggh, I won't be right home later and I doubt hubby will want to go to the rental office to get the package for me.

I prefer gleamstones too. I rather call it gleamstones.

:icon_cheers:

GreenEyedAllie

Went to do an exchange at Macy's so why not swatch? I really do love the packaging of this collection. Creeper for me and I must get it: Take the Plunge liner. Woowwwwwwww!! Tumbleweed and Desert Evening are nice but I know they will be colors that look more exciting as hand swatches. Though pretty. Yellow Topaz is reaaaaally nice. Arrowhead will be chalk vibes on me I think, it even swatched a little chalky and I had to smooth it with my finger. But I do think that Tumbleweed, DE and even PV would look nice on top of it. Or similar colors.

View attachment 54269

View attachment 54270

[video=youtube_share;0bUCvwQSSco]https://youtu.be/0bUCvwQSSco[/video]
On my thumb are just that two brightest colors of each palette.

I agree!!!! It's so pretty. I didn't get it (yet), but I can't get it out of my head.

NaomiH

NOOOOOOOOOOOO Painted Canyon sold out! :(

On another note, can anyone who has Painted Sunset and Lady Danger or other orange reds swatch them together please? It's times like these I really miss being 15-20 minutes away from a counter. Thanks in advance!

patentg33k

Gorgeous swatches @MontREALady!!!!

And Painted Canyon blush is the first thing to sell out in the US. I would have thought HC! :scratch:

I went by my local MAC today just to see whether there is anything I missed. My general impressions is that I feel a slight tug to pick up Yellow Topaz, because I like the CCB formula but given my highlighter situation that is probably overkill. I need to give those a rest!!!

The brushes are nice for a MAC SE brush. The bristles feel good. If I were getting Golden Rinse or Delphic, the stiffness of the 125 seems perfect for that formula. I didn't pick those up, but if you are thinking about it the 125 SE is a nice friend to those.

The e/s quads are nicely formulated--I like the unusual neutrals-with-a-twist of Call of the Canyon. And that blue in Wild Horses is so nice and pigmented!! Again, I don't need any new neutral palettes. But they both pretty pretty pretty. I keep thinking about the technakohl liners, which I liked more than I thought I would. I agree with @MontREALady, Take the Plunge is really really lovely.

I wasn't as drawn to the Gleamtones (Gleamstones?) as much as I thought I would. I'm glad I ordered one from MAC but I didn't fall head over heels like some of the lovely Youtube videos made me think I would. They must have been swatching heavily to get those shimmery colors. I used the 127 SE in the display to try it on my upper cheekbones and wasn't super in love. Maybe when mine arrives I'll try it with a denser, smaller headed brush.

The two blushes are great. Yes, I'll use use Adobe Brick with a duo-fibre fan but that's what it's made for.

I regret getting Desert Evening. In person, it looks pretty much like a clear balm. Maybe it's the store lighting.

Overall, I didn't pick up anything new today. My haul for this one is Gleamtones, Adobe Brick, Painted Canyon, and HC. I'm thinking of switching Desert Evening for Yellow Topaz.

Last edited:

awickedshape

Went to do an exchange at Macy's so why not swatch? I really do love the packaging of this collection. Creeper for me and I must get it: Take the Plunge liner. Woowwwwwwww!! Tumbleweed and Desert Evening are nice but I know they will be colors that look more exciting as hand swatches. Though pretty. Yellow Topaz is reaaaaally nice. Arrowhead will be chalk vibes on me I think, it even swatched a little chalky and I had to smooth it with my finger. But I do think that Tumbleweed, DE and even PV would look nice on top of it. Or similar colors.

View attachment 54269

View attachment 54270

Take the Plunge is lovely on you!

NaomiH

View attachment 54269

View attachment 54270

Thank you oh swatch queen!

Rinstar

I like gleamSTONES better and will persist in my wrongness. :cool:

Haha, I keep calling it Gleamstones too and I like it better!!!

I think this is why I keep wondering if I should get it or not. It's nice, but it looks like other stuff. Nothing extraordinary.

montREALady

So Select is quite a bit pinker*. HC has more brown in it.

They're not too far off though. If you like So Select you'll love HC!

* by pink I mean rose. Vocabulary ain't my forte lol.
Not sure how I ended up on this page but must have been to see this post. I don't find HC to have any brown in it. It's like a subtle mauve and yes, So Select is very different.

montREALady

I agree!!!! It's so pretty. I didn't get it (yet), but I can't get it out of my head.
I honestly paid ZERO attention to the liners in this online prior to the released. As usual my focus is lipsticks, blushes, highlighters, lol. I have a lot of color eye pencils, I loooove them and when I swatched it I kind of gasped, lol. It went on so smoothly and the color was really not like anything I have despite having a lot of teals, blues, etc.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO Painted Canyon sold out! :(

On another note, can anyone who has Painted Sunset and Lady Danger or other orange reds swatch them together please? It's times like these I really miss being 15-20 minutes away from a counter. Thanks in advance!
OMG! Wow! I didn't expect that for whatever reason. Painted Sunset really didn't do anything for me. I guess it was the finish? I'm also tired of MAC and these colors. I swear they all looked the same. Pure Vanity looked like something else I bought last year. I think it's Tumble Dry from last years collection. Which I have.

Gorgeous swatches @MontREALady!!!!

And Painted Canyon blush is the first thing to sell out in the US. I would have thought HC! :scratch:

I went by my local MAC today just to see whether there is anything I missed. My general impressions is that I feel a slight tug to pick up Yellow Topaz, because I like the CCB formula but given my highlighter situation that is probably overkill. I need to give those a rest!!!

The brushes are nice for a MAC SE brush. The bristles feel good. If I were getting Golden Rinse or Delphic, the stiffness of the 125 seems perfect for that formula. I didn't pick those up, but if you are thinking about it the 125 SE is a nice friend to those.

The e/s quads are nicely formulated--I like the unusual neutrals-with-a-twist of Call of the Canyon. And that blue in Wild Horses is so nice and pigmented!! Again, I don't need any new neutral palettes. But they both pretty pretty pretty. I keep thinking about the technakohl liners, which I liked more than I thought I would. I agree with @MontREALady, Take the Plunge is really really lovely.

I wasn't as drawn to the Gleamtones (Gleamstones?) as much as I thought I would. I'm glad I ordered one from MAC but I didn't fall head over heels like some of the lovely Youtube videos made me think I would. They must have been swatching heavily to get those shimmery colors. I used the 127 SE in the display to try it on my upper cheekbones and wasn't super in love. Maybe when mine arrives I'll try it with a denser, smaller headed brush.

The two blushes are great. Yes, I'll use use Adobe Brick with a duo-fibre fan but that's what it's made for.

I regret getting Desert Evening. In person, it looks pretty much like a clear balm. Maybe it's the store lighting.

Overall, I didn't pick up anything new today. My haul for this one is Gleamtones, Adobe Brick, Painted Canyon, and HC. I'm thinking of switching Desert Evening for Yellow Topaz.
Yup, you said it all better than me. The Patentpolishes or any duochrome colors like those always look great when I swatch them and on the lips like nothing. Same with the Cinderella, even Alice from UD's collection. Same re Gleamtones, I'm glad I got it...but it may be the same reason I was glad I got Freshen Up last year and I haven't used it since. More for packaging. I do think I can use this one more than last years. I found Adobe to be patchy but it could be because I wasn't using a brush.

Take the Plunge is lovely on you!
I have to get it!

Thank you oh swatch queen!
Hahaha! You're welcome.

Haha, I keep calling it Gleamstones too and I like it better!!!

I think this is why I keep wondering if I should get it or not. It's nice, but it looks like other stuff. Nothing extraordinary.
I got caught up in the hype, hahaha. Because the whole time I just planned to get HC from this collection. Suddenly I got Gleam and Arrowhead, but it was the coupon, I swear!

pinkcrush

I was gonna pass on this collection because of the cultural appropriation accusations... I will keep my personal feelings to myself on the matter but I will say it's a beautiful collection in person nevertheless!!! I caved and bought Hot Chocolate and Dunes at Dusk! I couldn't resist a new everyday neutral that will be less work than Whirl on my NW43 complexion. I can't wait to try it with Plum liner! I also love the swirled combination that DAD gives off! On me it was a neutral/cool leaning champagne. I passed on Adobe Brick because I recently bought Burnt Pepper which is a WOC must have. They are very similar on me blended out. I have Modern Mandarin and it's beautiful layered with Peachykeen so that was another pass. The other lipsticks didn't move me honestly, and the bronzers well I'm already pretty darn bronze :)

montREALady

I was gonna pass on this collection because of the cultural appropriation accusations... I will keep my personal feelings to myself on the matter but I will say it's a beautiful collection in person nevertheless!!! I caved and bought Hot Chocolate and Dunes at Dusk! I couldn't resist a new everyday neutral that will be less work than Whirl on my NW43 complexion. I can't wait to try it with Plum liner! I also love the swirled combination that DAD gives off! On me it was a neutral/cool leaning champagne. I passed on Adobe Brick because I recently bought Burnt Pepper which is a WOC must have. They are very similar on me blended out. I have Modern Mandarin and it's beautiful layered with Peachykeen so that was another pass. The other lipsticks didn't move me honestly, and the bronzers well I'm already pretty darn bronze :)
I'm absolutely loving HC, wearing it today. Yes, the Gleamtones is very cool on me too (btw, why doesn't their site say anything about it being called DAD?) So true re the bronzers! I swatched Dephic and saw nothing, ahahaha! I love the feel of those studio sculpt powders though.

boschicka

As long as people are civil, I find it interesting to get their opinions on the issues and I don't mind seeing it in the makeup thread itself. It's when people get out of hand that it feels it shouldn't be here.
Btw, your avatar is gorgeous!

pinkcrush

I'm absolutely loving HC, wearing it today. Yes, the Gleamtones is very cool on me too (btw, why doesn't their site say anything about it being called DAD?) So true re the bronzers! I swatched Dephic and saw nothing, ahahaha! I love the feel of those studio sculpt powders though.
it doesn't say it on the box either! But on the bottom of the compact it does lol. I don't mind it's coolness :)

pinkcrush

As long as people are civil, I find it interesting to get their opinions on the issues and I don't mind seeing it in the makeup thread itself. It's when people get out of hand that it feels it shouldn't be here.
Btw, your avatar is gorgeous!
I caved so my opinion is now null and voided lol :)

DarylandCarole

I got HC and my Painted Canyon blush today. I love both! The blush is prettier than I expected. It's very pigmented so I'll have to use a light touch unless I do self-tanner this summer.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

GreenEyedAllie

Um. So my MAC box of Firebrush and Painted Canyon arrived. They are both amazing. If you liked Golden Rinse, you will like Firebrush, I think. The only thing is it does have little golden shimmer particles. I like it/don't mind it, but I know some of you don't like that in bronzers.

I will try to post swatches. Along with something for boschika I keep putting off. Lol.

GreenEyedAllie

Blush swatches:

Hipness, Painted Canyon, Spellbinder

image.jpeg

I forgot to include Spring Flock, but it is about the same lightness as Spellbinder but more pink.

Bronzers:

Golden Rinse, Firebrush

image.jpeg

If I had to pick one, I'd still pick GR, but I'm happy to have both.

Sorry for the crappy evening light! I hope it's still helpful to someone. I'm MAC N1 in Face & Body.

Latest posts