MAC x Carine Roitfeld (Fall 2012)

martiangurll

Yeah for Cloudy Afternoon. Prepare yourself for a Fall version of it! Are you planning on getting both compacts?
Doggone, that lemming just won't DIE

I like the Jungle compact better for the eye colors and the Desert one for the cheek color, but I will be doggoned if I get 2 more freakin copies of Carbon! So, I gotta pick one.

mousygiggles

I went Desert since I like the colors and well, I live in the desert. I wanted the other just for Bad LT. I just wanted that one for hubby because he always has a few bad LTs running around. However, that wasn't enough to make me jump on it. I want to see the ls myself before I decide. I am thinking I might get 3 or so lash curlers. I love the MAC ones and I am loving the black.

martiangurll

I went Desert since I like the colors and well, I live in the desert. I wanted the other just for Bad LT. I just wanted that one for hubby because he always has a few bad LTs running around. However, that wasn't enough to make me jump on it. I want to see the ls myself before I decide. I am thinking I might get 3 or so lash curlers. I love the MAC ones and I am loving the black.
Ha Ha, Bad Lt eyeshadow is swaying me to want the Jungle one. I guess I live in an asphalt jungle...

PrettyKitty

Wow, that lipstick isn't just sheer, it's like they forgot to add the colour in it. lol I don't understand why they didn't just make a lipbalm or something.. at least it would be more moisturizing than just a clear lipstick.

bulbasaur359

Lol, I can't believe how sheer TM is. I understand the understated lip to complement the dramatic eye but wow lol. They should have made it a sheer CoD type of color so that there is at least something but still looks very natural.

bulbasaur359

My guess is that a l/s in an elegant packaging probably fits better in the overall concept of the collection.
I do agree with this. I love the packaging of the lippie and I'm sure it will sell np but it looks so sheer. I guess it'll work on anyone tho and that could be the purpose behind the lack of pigmentation.

CarlaSouza

Okay, this is just my 2 cents as a makeup lover, so here it goes nothing...(English is not my mother tongue so bear with me ;) )
When I've read the press release for this collection I was stocked because I do love smoky eyes (using neutral shades). Of course I researched Carine so I would know what to expect about the concept for this collection and it was up my alley. But seeing the swatches now, Im less than impressed. From what Ive seen, texture wise, they seem a lil on the dry side, uneven application and pigmentation for carbon, okay, it is a problem that it has been known, but from the picture that Ive seen, carbon doesn't pack the punch from the black eyeshadow that Carine seem to always wear, why not come up with something new and similar to it?
From the pictures, her lips are nude (duh), but in a way that it requests some sort of pigmentation to erase her natural lip colour, so why realease a CLEAR (not sheer as described) Lipstick? While I agree with nude lispticks being to personal due to coloring issues, clear is not nude (in my opinion) and a sleek packaging does not justify 16,50 (R$ 80 reais where I live). But there's always who buys (and I dont judge because again different strokes) it. Im gonna skip the whole collection!

Beauty911

I just recently got into MAC. Some of my 1st purchases were from By Request and Style Seeker. I ordered both palettes today as they were right up my alley. Looking forward to the Marilyn collection. While I agree that a nude lip is signature Carine, I also agree that it should not be clear. This lipstick would go on clear on my very pigmented lips and would go to the bottom of the pile with the other nudes I have hopelessly tried to make work on my rosy lips. I have completely given up on nudes for this very reason. I don't have the time or patience to blank out my lips with concealers or other such nonsense. I need something that I can swipe quickly on my lips hence my preference for lipsticks over glosses. I am just trying to wait patiently for the glossy lip trend that started in the early 2000s to die out. Hoping that strong lips will return.

ButterflyDior77

It is a shame the lipstick is a slightly tinted lip balm. However looking at pictures of Carine, it makes sense.

The woman doesn't look like she wears anything on her lips in a lot of the candid photos of her. If she does it just seems like lip balm with a light blotted sheer foundation to mute out the lips a little more.

If the lipstick had color, it wouldn't look like this woman's look on everyone. eh

Like someone said Revlon Lip Butter in Creme Brulee , applied lightly would give u the same look as this lipstick. Could be a tad more colored the more u apply .
And it's half the price and permanent.

Creme Brulee :
http://www.temptalia.com/revlon-creme-brulee-colorburst-lip-butter-review-photos-swatches

Tropical Mist:
http://www.temptalia.com/mac-tropical-mist-lipstick-review-photos-swatches#more-35565

I will say with it being a more yellow toned nude in the tube, it is probably better that it is near clear. "Tropical" fits the color of the nude imo... "Mist" lets me know they meant it to be almost clear tbqh.

If I had money to burn I'd buy it and one of the e/s palettes. However I have colors already close to those shades or close enough to obtain the same look.

I tried Romp, buckwheat, showstopper, Shroom, and carbon (also threw in some Moth brown for fun) and got a similar look that Temptalia did with the Desert Camouflage palette. So I'm sure I can find colors in my collection to get the Jungle palette that are better quality and save money.

I like the packaging, but if I want this packaging I can buy Nars products . :)

Yazmin

Okay, this is just my 2 cents as a makeup lover, so here it goes nothing...(English is not my mother tongue so bear with me ;) )
When I've read the press release for this collection I was stocked because I do love smoky eyes (using neutral shades). Of course I researched Carine so I would know what to expect about the concept for this collection and it was up my alley. But seeing the swatches now, Im less than impressed. From what Ive seen, texture wise, they seem a lil on the dry side, uneven application and pigmentation for carbon, okay, it is a problem that it has been known, but from the picture that Ive seen, carbon doesn't pack the punch from the black eyeshadow that Carine seem to always wear, why not come up with something new and similar to it?
From the pictures, her lips are nude (duh), but in a way that it requests some sort of pigmentation to erase her natural lip colour, so why realease a CLEAR (not sheer as described) Lipstick? While I agree with nude lispticks being to personal due to coloring issues, clear is not nude (in my opinion) and a sleek packaging does not justify 16,50 (R$ 80 reais where I live). But there's always who buys (and I dont judge because again different strokes) it. Im gonna skip the whole collection!
Exactly! MAC is always coming out with variations of other colors, many which are similar to existing shades. They did a great job with Dare Dare from the ED collection, why not take this opportunity to create a new black shadow for the permanent line?

Miss Dynamite

I find it funny that some are insulting bloggers over their opinions and saying they need to do more research. I'm sorry but why would anybody buy a lipstick that isn't just sheer color but has absolutely no color at all? And for that much money?? I have 97 cent lip balms that give more color than this garbage. Ok fine, the chick likes light colored lips...so make a lipstick that is light colored, even something like Secret Lover lipstick had color to it but it was very sheer and light and pretty...there is just no point in paying a lot of money for something that makes no difference to your lips at all.

ButterflyDior77

I find it funny that some are insulting bloggers over their opinions and saying they need to do more research. I'm sorry but why would anybody buy a lipstick that isn't just sheer color but has absolutely no color at all? And for that much money?? I have 97 cent lip balms that give more color than this garbage. Ok fine, the chick likes light colored lips...so make a lipstick that is light colored, even something like Secret Lover lipstick had color to it but it was very sheer and light and pretty...there is just no point in paying a lot of money for something that makes no difference to your lips at all.
The last bit is how I feel about most Chanel glossimers . Some are too sheer for me to spend that much on them. tbqh

Genn

I think they released the cremesheen + pearl at a good time for people who want a little bit of color to go along with the smokey eyes. I understand there is one l/s to go along with this collection which i find odd but I figured they did it that way because they just released a collection of sheer colors.

liba

Oh, you ain't kidding, that one hurts, BAD
You KNOW you guys aren't helping me here.........
finger.gif
thud.gif

aradhana

b/c of everything you said, I very rarely pay attn to a bloggers "review". I love blogs swatches, looks and etc... but not the grades. I always have to "see" for myself. and take time to learn what the product is "supposed" to do.
i look at the grades only to know which items i need to rush to buy if i want them before they sell out!!!!

i know temptalia's reviews weren't that great, but i thought the products look really nice in her swatches and in her face pics. especially the lipstick and blushes.

this collection looks great, but i think i have items similar enough in my stash that i'm going to sit this one out. i was intrigued initially by the stencil, but i dunno if i feel like forking out $24 right now!

the collection looks like it'd be really good for someone just starting to get into makeup, or looking for good basics.

Piarpreet

Check the compacts out in person. I think you might like at least one of them, if not both.
I dont like cream cheek products and those neutrals are things I already have. Plus they look very low quality/pigmentation in T's pics. I normally dont care about her grades but her pictures tell me they are not worth it.