MAC x Carine Roitfeld (Fall 2012)

CartoonChic

I'm in your camp on this one, but I'm fortunate in the great skin department, so getting into that look is easy for me. I think it's a trend that's a hard sell for some girls and women, who have been made very self-conscious about skin issues to the point of creating stress and struggle and shame. I've got quite a few friends who are beautiful, but are either terrified to use makeup because they have ups and downs with their skin or feel ugly if they don't cover up in lots of makeup, the less natural, the better.

I've helped a few of them drastically improve their skin health, but you know how it goes - old habits die hard, even once the original issue is gone. It takes a long time to feel re-empowered and try something new. You can lead a horse to water, etc. Hey, look how poorly Big Bounce was received. It just broke too many "rules". It's just that I can't help getting a little political about the all-natural trend, because I see how close it hits to that common modern female insecurity propaganda about not being perfect "enough". Beautiful, young skin should be an inspiration, but it can sadly turn into a stressful, unattainable ideal for a person burdened with insecurity about their looks.
th_confused_new.gif
Best thing is to keep setting a positive example - getting the message out there is half the battle.

I will say that I'm old enough to remember a few cycles where the totally natural no-makeup look was the main style, and the only beef I had about it then was it just got BORING! Why do you think us punk gals wore drastic makeup, hehe. It was all about scandalizing the drab style we felt buried in. I go out to concerts now and see all these gals who have no makeup and boring clothes, like we're back in 1975 again, and I want to shake them and say "where's the fantasy? where's the creativity??" 'Good thing there's a counter-trend with the bright lips and strong blush nowadays. We sure have more options than before!
Lol, I've been rocking the "why bother" look for 30+ years. That's probably one of the reasons I gravitate more towards bright, creative looks. I also don't follow trends. But if I did, I would probably do the opposite of whatever is being done. Lol, I'm a rebel only in my own mind.
supacool.gif

liba

Quote: Originally Posted by CartoonChic
Lol, I'm a rebel only in my own mind.
supacool.gif

Best kind of rebel!
hatsoff.gif

Beauty911

I just pulled out my Revlon Creme Brûlée. I purchased it months ago but never tried it. It gives me the perfect nude lip that I have been searching for. A soft beige that is not blotchy and does not look like death on me. I will need to stock up on this one. Finally a nude that works! I will be wearing it with my palettes once they get here.

MaryJane

I don't care how elegant/nice/sophisticated the packaging is.....I'm not paying $16 for what is essentially lip balm. I have no problem paying for a quality lipstick (my Chanel stash and credit card bills will prove that) but not something that isn't going to add any color to my already colorless lips. You can call it nude, sheer, translucent, 'hint of color', barely there, whatever....it's ridiculous that Mac even included this in the collection. Yes, I know it's CR's look but I would have rather them leave out the lipstick altogether since it looks like your not wearing it anyway.

Spikesmom

If I want that look I can use a nude l/l and blend it into lip balm. I think a tinted lip conditioner and a l/l would have been cool with this collection.
I don't care how elegant/nice/sophisticated the packaging is.....I'm not paying $16 for what is essentially lip balm. I have no problem paying for a quality lipstick (my Chanel stash and credit card bills will prove that) but not something that isn't going to add any color to my already colorless lips. You can call it nude, sheer, translucent, 'hint of color', barely there, whatever....it's ridiculous that Mac even included this in the collection. Yes, I know it's CR's look but I would have rather them leave out the lipstick altogether since it looks like your not wearing it anyway.

honey on boost

Ah.. I finally made my final decision on TM.I went by my local pro store today to check it out. The packaging is gorgeous but it gives the look of lip balm on my lips. I already have a couple of HG lip balms so no need to get this. I also have Creme Brûlée and I even prefer that over TM.

Allura Beauty

Quote: Originally Posted by OhSoJaded

Allura, thank you always for your collection reviews and swatches! I really appreciate it!

It's my pleasure--really. :)

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by honey on boost
BTW DiorShow Mitzah is on sale right now for $14.50 on Sephora.com

Thanks, honey. I'm a sephora VIB so it's been available for that price for months. I got one... when? late spring? and i have another in my "shopping bag" waiting for me to fill in a few other things. I know this isn't MAC related... but i think this would be a great color for fair blondes and probably for fair redheads, too. Me, not blonde, never been, never gonna be, but i love the golden brown and it's the best mascara i've ever used.

I must confess i haven't used many different brands, though. Back in the 70s and 80s most mascaras hurt my eyes, so i until recently i only bought Clinique, which didn't hurt. Seems formulae have changed, since i have a passel of mascara samplers from sephora, and none make my eyes burn. I've liked a few, but they've only come in black, and i prefer dark brown.

I did pick up the violet and purple mascaras from MAC Beth Ditto, but haven't used them yet. We have a performance at the end of Sept. and i might use the purple/burgundy then - we changed our performance costumes from purple kebaya to burgundy ones.

So back to MAC Carine Roitfeld, my mascara preference means her mascara is not for me.

liba

Quote: Originally Posted by lilinah

I must confess i haven't used many different brands, though. Back in the 70s and 80s most mascaras hurt my eyes, so i until recently i only bought Clinique, which didn't hurt. Seems formulae have changed, since i have a passel of mascara samplers from sephora, and none make my eyes burn. I've liked a few, but they've only come in black, and i prefer dark brown.

I did pick up the violet and purple mascaras from MAC Beth Ditto, but haven't used them yet. We have a performance at the end of Sept. and i might use the purple/burgundy then - we changed our performance costumes from purple kebaya to burgundy ones.

Those old mascara formulas were awful! I remember I could never find one that didn't smudge all over my face like a raccoon.

You should try the burgundy beth ditto zoomlash with Dark Diversion - they're an almost perfect match.
heart2.gif
I'll use DD on upper lid and smudged close to the lower waterline with that mascara and it creates a beautiful glowing effect. The color shows up quite well and is magnified by the liner. It's a great combo you can use all sorts of shadows with too.

mousygiggles

Those old mascara formulas were awful! I remember I could never find one that didn't smudge all over my face like a raccoon.

You should try the burgundy beth ditto zoomlash with Dark Diversion - they're an almost perfect match.
heart2.gif
I'll use DD on upper lid and smudged close to the lower waterline with that mascara and it creates a beautiful glowing effect. The color shows up quite well and is magnified by the liner. It's a great combo you can use all sorts of shadows with too.
Ditto! I love these two together! I love that mascara too. It is one of my favorite colored mascaras.

liba

Ditto! I love these two together! I love that mascara too. It is one of my favorite colored mascaras.
I REALLY liked the colored Opulashes from Wonder Woman, just because that formula and brush work really well for me - I backed them all up! You know the color really shows up on the eyes when men ask you if you have "blue on your eyelashes".
cutey.gif
I wish they'd bring those back, but the colored Zoomlash is fine. I loved that grey one from last year!!

mousygiggles

I skipped the WW ones and now wish I hadn't. I do love the grey one as well. It works great but my lashes are very light so color shows up easily.

aradhana

I REALLY liked the colored Opulashes from Wonder Woman, just because that formula and brush work really well for me - I backed them all up! You know the color really shows up on the eyes when men ask you if you have "blue on your eyelashes".
cutey.gif
I wish they'd bring those back, but the colored Zoomlash is fine. I loved that grey one from last year!!
question - how long do you wait to throw out a coloured mascara? i tend to not buy coloured mascaras because i often end up not using them very often, and then start to question their expiry date....

liba

question - how long do you wait to throw out a coloured mascara? i tend to not buy coloured mascaras because i often end up not using them very often, and then start to question their expiry date....
I tried to prolong the life of my Opulash colored ones by using a separate wand, not the one in the tube. They're still OK, except for the blue one, which started to feel stinging after a year. I got through most of the tube before that happened though. I used it a ton, too, so it didn't go to waste (plus I have BUs). Yeah I know you're supposed to toss mascaras after 6 months, but I think that's if you're applying it straight from the tube daily and double dipping into the tube on each application. I'd load up a wand I could wash after and only use what was on it, rather than putting it back into the tube before a wash. I'd also never carry it around with me, just kept it stored in a cool dark place.

If you want to be careful, though, toss everything after 6 months and don't listen to me. If you're worried you wouldn't get a lot of use, personally I think it's a wasted day to wear plain old black on sunny spring and summer days, so I basically use them every day for months, while the black just gets used here and there.

liba

I skipped the WW ones and now wish I hadn't. I do love the grey one as well. It works great but my lashes are very light so color shows up easily.
My lashes are black, but with some light tips and the grey shows up just fine - all the MAC colors do on me, for whatever reason.

That grey one looks amazing with Midnight Snack!

aradhana

I tried to prolong the life of my Opulash colored ones by using a separate wand, not the one in the tube. They're still OK, except for the blue one, which started to feel stinging after a year. I got through most of the tube before that happened though. I used it a ton, too, so it didn't go to waste (plus I have BUs). Yeah I know you're supposed to toss mascaras after 6 months, but I think that's if you're applying it straight from the tube daily and double dipping into the tube on each application. I'd load up a wand I could wash after and only use what was on it, rather than putting it back into the tube before a wash. I'd also never carry it around with me, just kept it stored in a cool dark place.

If you want to be careful, though, toss everything after 6 months and don't listen to me. If you're worried you wouldn't get a lot of use, personally I think it's a wasted day to wear plain old black on sunny spring and summer days, so I basically use them every day for months, while the black just gets used here and there.
the separate wand...! i knew there was a reason i had bought one of those.... i might try a burgundy one if i can get my hands on one -- i like the sound of wearing it with dark diversion, as you mentioned earlier.....

Mac-Guy

the separate wand...! i knew there was a reason i had bought one of those.... i might try a burgundy one if i can get my hands on one -- i like the sound of wearing it with dark diversion, as you mentioned earlier.....
I'm not sure if these are on the regular site, but on the Pro site, you can buy disposable wands.

Jenrbelt

I am looking forward to seeing more swatches. So far I am confused. Just when I think the Jungle palette is my favorite because of the "khaki" color and the matte brown color, Temptalia's eye looks persuade me that the other pallete is prettier. So from swatches I love one and from eye looks I love the other. Maybe the best thing to do is to actually see these in person. The other factor that keeps rolling around in my brain is that for $44 dollars, maybe I just buy UD Naked 2. I have Naked 1 and have been putting off Naked 2 in favor of other collections since I truly have so many neutrals. What to do, what to do? Those of you with both, is one of them becoming a clear favorite over the other yet?