MAC x Rihanna Collection Discussion (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OctoberViolet

I hope I didn't offend anyone. I just had that question in my head and it came out on Specktra.Sometimes my thoughts go one way and my fingers go another.
angelic.gif

There were "Middle Eastern" lipsticks though.
I think it could be tough to do collections based on cultures and ethnicities because it could very easily upset or disrespect people, even if that's not the intention.

martiangurll

Can anyone who has tried a retro matte formula comment on the drying quality? Is it like a mattene, an old school matte, a Satin or a new category. I really have to limit my use of mattenes and mattes due to the drying nature, but if the retro matte is less dessicating, I would love that!

Lipstickdiva420

I think we all realize that she has a pretty mixed background. But she identifies as a black women. I mean Alicia Keys, Halle Berry, The Mowry Twins etc. are bi-racial but most would consider them to be black women. Not to sound overly sensitive, because yeah, it is just makeup, but it's cool to see women that look like us representing the brands that we support. I think that's all she was trying to say
smiles.gif
That right there is dead on. A lot of black people or WOC are mixed.

vaisforluvrs

I hope I didn't offend anyone. I just had that question in my head and it came out on Specktra.Sometimes my thoughts go one way and my fingers go another.
angelic.gif
Nope, not at all. I was just thinking about the Victoria Secret fashion show and No Doubt video, which both used Native American inspired clothing, and both upset the Native community. It wasn't the intention on either of their parts to be disrespectful, but there was backlash so both were taken down or no longer shown.

MacNcheese

I am here all day for this collection. I like Rihanna and the packaging is scrumptious. RiRi Woo is definitely coming home with me.

hwdsprincess

Yikes took me a couple hours to read this thread, kinda upsetting how controversial this thread is, everyone is entitled to their own opinions but dang if it's negative stuff you should leave it out in respect for the people who do like her, can relate to her, and just to not bash a person. Like someone said a role model should be a person you know not a person you know because of what the media says, because you can't believe everything that is said. I'm not a huge fan of nicki lol but I sure was up stalking for pink Friday and preordered my first viva glam nicki, because I LIKED the colors it's makeup, not a relationship w a celeb. As mentioned as well "our" lives aren't out in the open and thank god mine isn't I wouldn't want to be judged about what I buy at a fast food restaurant what my children or me are wearing why I didn't do my makeup, I feel bad how much of celebs life's are put out there, we may not agree to their choices but you can't say I am not supporting this line because I don't like her, you can't dislike a person you don't personally know based on what you heard. Now on makeup view I can't wait for this line to come out, I love her edgy style and her daring looks, she looked gorgeous at the Grammys. I can't wait to see everything!!!

KMQE716

[COLOR=9933FF]I :heart: Butterflies!!!!!!!![/COLOR] :agree: [COLOR=3300CC] Has there ever been a Native American collection? I'm fascinated with Native Americans.[/COLOR]:love:
That would be really cool! I see Disney is doing a lot of promotions with the princesses i see they have jasmine palette now maybe they will do Pocahontas! I can see that collection though lots of warm earthy colors, pretty blues and stuff oooo la la

Corally

Yikes took me a couple hours to read this thread, kinda upsetting how controversial this thread is, everyone is entitled to their own opinions but dang if it's negative stuff you should leave it out in respect for the people who do like her, can relate to her, and just to not bash a person. Like someone said a role model should be a person you know not a person you know because of what the media says, because you can't believe everything that is said. I'm not a huge fan of nicki lol but I sure was up stalking for pink Friday and preordered my first viva glam nicki, because I LIKED the colors it's makeup, not a relationship w a celeb. As mentioned as well "our" lives aren't out in the open and thank god mine isn't I wouldn't want to be judged about what I buy at a fast food restaurant what my children or me are wearing why I didn't do my makeup, I feel bad how much of celebs life's are put out there, we may not agree to their choices but you can't say I am not supporting this line because I don't like her, you can't dislike a person you don't personally know based on what you heard. Now on makeup view I can't wait for this line to come out, I love her edgy style and her daring looks, she looked gorgeous at the Grammys. I can't wait to see everything!!!
I totally agree, who are we to judge. Just because they're in the spotlight they're judged by the mistakes they have made and will make, guess what guys.. they're normal people like us and EVERBODY makes mistakes. When I was younger I also have made some mistakes I'm not proud of but I've changed and I would absolutely HATE it if people would still judge me by a mistake I've made say 10 years ago.

Corally

Yeah I thought her hair looked so pretty.
She always looks amazing! I don't like her music but she's definitely a beauty. :)

allThingsGirl

Hi all - I don't know anything about Rianna so I don't know what the controversy is about. I must have been living in a bubble since everyone else seems to have an opinion on this collaboration - I just skipped to the last page...

I love the packaging and the colors!! I'm totally going to get things from this collection. Can't wait. :)

erine1881

[COLOR=6600CC]I hope I didn't offend anyone. I just had that question in my head and it came out on Specktra.Sometimes my thoughts go one way and my fingers go another.[/COLOR] :angel:
You didn't offend me at all hun. I just think it sucks that when people only acknowledge part of someone, that's all. When i look at her, i actually see south american/west indian, which is what makes up the majority of her background. :winkiss:
Can anyone who has tried a retro matte formula comment on the drying quality?  Is it like a mattene, an old school matte, a Satin or a new category.  I really have to limit my use of mattenes and mattes due to the drying nature, but if the retro matte is less dessicating, I would love that!
It's dryer than a normal matte, but on the lips there really isn't a textural difference. The dryness is more in the application and actual product itself.
I think we all realize that she has a pretty mixed background. But she identifies as a black women. I mean Alicia Keys, Halle Berry, The Mowry Twins etc. are bi-racial but most would consider them to be black women. Not to sound overly sensitive, because yeah, it is just makeup, but it's cool to see women that look like us representing the brands that we support. I think that's all she was trying to say :)
I think it's unfortunate that more cultures and races aren't used, as we all notice. And i also think it's unfortunate when someone only acknowledges part of who they are. I'm very white (ghostly infact), but if someone asks my background, i list everything i am. Everything. I don't know a lot about my cultural history, but I'm all of it. Not just white. Again, i wasn't offended or trying to make anything of it. Just stating a fact. No offense taken. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts