MAC x Rihanna Collection Discussion (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prettypackages

Mixed race ppl identifying as black goes back to the 1900's . If you had a drop of black blood, you were black, that's it. Unless you passed. If you look black you are black. It is deeper than ppl acknowledging all of their cultures, and for a long time black people were not allowed to do so, or just didn't. I don't see white ppl acknowledging any African or Black Heritage, yet there's been enough "mixing" going on, that there is more of it than not. This thing is goes deep, way too deep for a makeup thread. But the fact that someone acknowledges her, or she herself, as a black women, doesn't negate anything else. It actually pisses me off when you have a Black Woman, and ppl, magazines, articles, try to find everything in them and they can't just be black.

MaitaiFluff

You didn't offend me at all hun. I just think it sucks that when people only acknowledge part of someone, that's all. When i look at her, i actually see south american/west indian, which is what makes up the majority of her background. :winkiss: It's dryer than a normal matte, but on the lips there really isn't a textural difference. The dryness is more in the application and actual product itself. I think it's unfortunate that more cultures and races aren't used, as we all notice. And i also think it's unfortunate when someone only acknowledges part of who they are. I'm very white (ghostly infact), but if someone asks my background, i list everything i am. Everything. I don't know a lot about my cultural history, but I'm all of it. Not just white. Again, i wasn't offended or trying to make anything of it. Just stating a fact. No offense taken. :)
I usually say that I'm a lot of shades of white and will describe further if the asker is still curious. I see how it can be kind of odd to have so many people almost dismiss part of who they are, but I can see how it happened. I am made up of a lot of really neat cultures, but growing up I became most familiar with Scottish culture and my Scottish family. I associate myself more with that because it's just what I grew up closest to, even though it only account for 1/8th of me. There will be kilts at my wedding. I think with Rihanna and many others might have grown up closest to one culture over the other. I personally would have loved to knew more about the rest of me, but none of those relatives knew much about their culture either.

erine1881

That's because black covers a wide range of ethnicities why does it bother you?
It wide-range coverage doesn't bother me. Didn't say it did.
Mixed race ppl identifying as black goes back to the 1900's .  If you had a drop of black blood, you were black, that's it. Unless you passed.   If you look black you are black.  It is deeper than ppl acknowledging all of their cultures, and for a long time black people were not allowed to do so, or just didn't.   I don't see white ppl acknowledging any African or Black Heritage, yet there's been enough "mixing" going on, that there is more of it than not.  This thing is goes deep, way too deep for a makeup thread.  But the fact that someone acknowledges her, or she herself, as a black women, doesn't negate anything else.   It actually pisses me off when you have a Black Woman, and ppl, magazines, articles, try to find everything in them and they can't just be black.  
I guess I'm just intrigued in what makes up someone, whether it's 5 different ethnicities, or just one. And for someone to try to find something other than what they are is uncalled for. If you think that's what i did, i can assure you i didn't. I just included all the other things that does make up who she is, and the other things that i see when i look at her, other than her being part black. If there was black ancestry in me somewhere that i knew of, I'd acknowledge it as well.
I usually say that I'm a lot of shades of white and will describe further if the asker is still curious. I see how it can be kind of odd to have so many people almost dismiss part of who they are, but I can see how it happened. I am made up of a lot of really neat cultures, but growing up I became most familiar with Scottish culture and my Scottish family. I associate myself more with that because it's just what I grew up closest to, even though it only account for 1/8th of me. There will be kilts at my wedding. I think with Rihanna and many others might have grown up closest to one culture over the other. I personally would have loved to knew more about the rest of me, but none of those relatives knew much about their culture either.
I'm part scottish as well. The majority of my dads side was german. My moms side of the family was a mix of a bunch of european countries, as well as native american. My brother-in-law is english, born in africa, with citizenship in both countries (not in the US tho). He was gonna have all the men wear kilts for the wedding, but they didn't get all their measurements in time. I thought it would've been awesome if they had!

sss215

She's more than just black tho. She's also west indian, barbadian, south american and irish.
All of that is considered black. Many people of Caribbean descent identify as black.
I think we all realize that she has a pretty mixed background. But she identifies as a black women. I mean Alicia Keys, Halle Berry, The Mowry Twins etc. are bi-racial but most would consider them to be black women. Not to sound overly sensitive, because yeah, it is just makeup, but it's cool to see women that look like us representing the brands that we support. I think that's all she was trying to say :)
Yes exactly this. . Its stems from the underrepresentation in the fashion world, the media, etc. . I'm proud when I see black women on the forefront in a positive way, specifically speaking makeup in this context. I wanted to bring it up because people were like Rihanna this, Rihanna that... and those views are fine if that's how you feel, but I wanted to point out that its more than what's the latest scandal or US magazine story when it comes to how anticipated this collection is for some makeup buyers.

luvlydee

. And i also think it's unfortunate when someone only acknowledges part of who they are. I'm very white (ghostly infact), but if someone asks my background, i list everything i am. Everything. I don't know a lot about my cultural history, but I'm all of it. Not just white.
A lot of ppl say theyre black but it doesnt mean they dont acknowledge who they are. My best friend was born in trinidad and she looks asian but she identifies herself as a black woman but shes a proud trinidadian.

Im dominican (tech american lol but both my parents are dominican) and when i say i am dominican ppl are like no ur just black im like ok i obviously have other roots but im culturally dominican. My first language was spanish then i learned english.

Same thing with zoe saldana she says shes a black woman even though both parents are
dominican or i think 1 parent is dominican and 1 puerto rican

but again doesnt mean we dont acknowledge our other parts

but whyyyyyyy oh whyyyy are we speaking about this lmao i just want my rihanna makeup. Im obsessed with that chick. Shes everything i wish i had the balls to be with her f*** You mentality

sss215

A lot of ppl say theyre black but it doesnt mean they dont acknowledge who they are. My best friend was born in trinidad and she looks asian but she identifies herself as a black woman but shes a proud trinidadian.  Im dominican (tech american lol but both my parents are dominican) and when i say i am dominican ppl are like no ur just black im like ok i obviously have other roots but im culturally dominican. My first language was spanish then i learned english.  Same thing with zoe saldana she says shes a black woman even though both parents are dominican or i think 1 parent is dominican and 1 puerto rican  but again doesnt mean we dont acknowledge our other parts but whyyyyyyy oh whyyyy are we speaking about this lmao i just want my rihanna makeup. Im obsessed with that chick. Shes everything i wish i had the balls to be with her f*** You mentality 
Lol, so much has been said on this thread ranging from A to Z, already! Dang, how long will it be until the color story for her summer launch shows up... Any guesses? I'm going to get antsy for it sometime after April.

erine1881

A lot of ppl say theyre black but it doesnt mean they dont acknowledge who they are. My best friend was born in trinidad and she looks asian but she identifies herself as a black woman but shes a proud trinidadian.  Im dominican (tech american lol but both my parents are dominican) and when i say i am dominican ppl are like no ur just black im like ok i obviously have other roots but im culturally dominican. My first language was spanish then i learned english.  Same thing with zoe saldana she says shes a black woman even though both parents are dominican or i think 1 parent is dominican and 1 puerto rican  but again doesnt mean we dont acknowledge our other parts but whyyyyyyy oh whyyyy are we speaking about this lmao i just want my rihanna makeup. Im obsessed with that chick. Shes everything i wish i had the balls to be with her f*** You mentality 
I wasn't tryin to start a debate. Just stating facts. Geez, you'd think i said something negative or something! But thank you! Bring on the makeup! And you can be ballsy! Like they say, "it's none of your business what people think about you"!

erine1881

Lol, so much has been said on this thread ranging from A to Z, already! Dang, how long will it be until the color story for her summer launch shows up... Any guesses? I'm going to get antsy for it sometime after April.
You say one thing and everyone goes of in a whole different direction! :dunno:

sss215

Color story before the May concert? The WWD article said the pop up shop at the concert will feature the line. Hope so!

luvlydee

And you can be ballsy! Like they say, "it's none of your business what people think about you"!
Oh no i didnt take it as anything negative lol
i do care so much what ppl think. I need to stop that like now! Maybe once i get a hold of this rihanna makeup my attitude will change like itll give me some sort of power lmao (wishful thinking haha)

erine1881

Color story before the May concert? The WWD article said the pop up shop at the concert will feature the line. Hope so!
RiRi Woo is the only item for the first launch IIRC. So it'll be the only thing at the concert pop-ups.
I think it said only the ririwoo will be sold during the concert not the entire line. Could be wrong but i dont feel like going back and reading lol Oh no i didnt take it as anything negative lol   i do care so much what ppl think. I need to stop that like now! Maybe once i get a hold of this rihanna makeup my attitude will change like itll give me some sort of power lmao (wishful thinking haha)
Ok good! I hope so! I used to be the same way. Still am a bit. But slowly I've realized people don't know me, i don't know them. There opinions of me have no effect on what i think/do. Besides. They're probably aren't worrying about what i think. Why should i waste my time worrying about what they think?

sss215

So I went back, "The first product to launch will be RiRi Woo, a lipstick inspired by her favorite MAC red, Ruby Woo. Its release will coincide with Rihanna’s Diamonds Tour concerts on May 4 and 5 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, where MAC will open a pop-up shop on the first night to showcase the line." Maybe PR pamphlets, products behind glass. I'm thinking big and over the top, lol. whatever it is something's bound to leak before then.

CartoonChic

blink.gif
My oh my, I've been out of the loop. I'm not even going to bother to go back and catch up. I don't know what's going on, but I'm really excited for this collection. Rihanna's makeup always looks flawless. I want my makeup to look like that, so I'll have whatever she's having!
pretty.gif

I'm not a fan of the packaging, though. However, I do hope that there will be a miracle beauty powder for brown skin beauties like Forever Marilyn is for pale beauties. I'll be like Gracie and will buy 14 of them.
girlhaha.gif

Beautybuyer

I'm almost half black and I'm Hal white and have always had to identify as black since that's what my mother was. It was horrible in school because I didn't look black OR white I look straight middle eastern so people would always make comments. In most of the world if you're black at all you're black and that's it. I wish they would change it since so many are mixed. I will admit they slowly are, I'm starting to see more "circle all that apply" than "circle only one"

hwdsprincess

:blink: My oh my, I've been out of the loop. I'm not even going to bother to go back and catch up. I don't know what's going on, but I'm really excited for this collection. Rihanna's makeup always looks flawless. I want my makeup to look like that, so I'll have whatever she's having! :pretty: I'm not a fan of the packaging, though. However, I do hope that there will be a miracle beauty powder for brown skin beauties like Forever Marilyn is for pale beauties. I'll be like Gracie and will buy 14 of them. :haha:
Ooh I didn't read the miracle powders for brown skin, and I'll be having what you're having too (cuz I want what riri has) I like the pink packaging but not the writing on it.

pandav

I hope RiRi Woo is a not dry matte version of Ruby Woo. All I hear everywhere is Ruby Woo is best red lipstick ever only if it weren't so dry. I have never even thought of buying Ruby Woo just coz of this.

hwdsprincess

So my story is so off topic but so funny I have to share since we're sharing what we are... My bro asks my son Isaac who was 4 at the time learning his roots, what are you? Isaac says Mexican American and he says good. So when Isaac is asked what he is he says that... One day Isaac and I were outside w Kado our dog that's a yorkie...a man walks by and Kado goes by him lol the guy says oh he's such a cute dog what is he? Isaac steps in and says he's Mexican American... Lol me and the man were dying of laughter I said Isaac, he was asking what he is as in what kind of dog is he, so he says oh ok well he's a Mexican American Yorkie... Lol we just laughed the man said your son made my day I said he made mine too.

MaitaiFluff

So my story is so off topic but so funny I have to share since we're sharing what we are... My bro asks my son Isaac who was 4 at the time learning his roots, what are you? Isaac says Mexican American and he says good. So when Isaac is asked what he is he says that... One day Isaac and I were outside w Kado our dog that's a yorkie...a man walks by and Kado goes by him lol the guy says oh he's such a cute dog what is he? Isaac steps in and says he's Mexican American... Lol me and the man were dying of laughter I said Isaac, he was asking what he is as in what kind of dog is he, so he says oh ok well he's a Mexican American Yorkie... Lol we just laughed the man said your son made my day I said he made mine too.
That story just made my night.
I'm part scottish as well. The majority of my dads side was german. My moms side of the family was a mix of a bunch of european countries, as well as native american. My brother-in-law is english, born in africa, with citizenship in both countries (not in the US tho). He was gonna have all the men wear kilts for the wedding, but they didn't get all their measurements in time. I thought it would've been awesome if they had!
Awes, totally would've been!

erine1881

I'm almost half black and I'm Hal white and have always had to identify as black since that's what my mother was. It was horrible in school because I didn't look black OR white I look straight middle eastern so people would always make comments. In most of the world if you're black at all you're black and that's it. I wish they would change it since so many are mixed. I will admit they slowly are, I'm starting to see more "circle all that apply" than "circle only one"
I :heart: you! That's EXACTLY what i was trying to say! I just couldn't put it in the right words. Thanks doll!
I hope RiRi Woo is a not dry matte version of Ruby Woo. All I hear everywhere is Ruby Woo is best red lipstick ever only if it weren't so dry. I have never even thought of buying Ruby Woo just coz of this. 
RiRi Woo will be the EXACT same formula as Ruby Woo.
That was awesome!

MacNcheese

blink.gif
My oh my, I've been out of the loop. I'm not even going to bother to go back and catch up. I don't know what's going on, but I'm really excited for this collection. Rihanna's makeup always looks flawless. I want my makeup to look like that, so I'll have whatever she's having!
pretty.gif

I'm not a fan of the packaging, though. However, I do hope that there will be a miracle beauty powder for brown skin beauties like Forever Marilyn is for pale beauties. I'll be like Gracie and will buy 14 of them.
girlhaha.gif
OMG, yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts