MAC x Rihanna Collection Discussion (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampyCouture

Hwdsprincess, that story was hilarious! Thanks for making my morning.

CartoonChic, crossing my fingers for a darker beauty powder as well!

I haven't posted on this thread for a couple of days, but can we please go back to talking about the makeup? It's disheartening to see so many people getting offended by what someone 'may' have said or their interpretation of something. These are all very sensitive subjects, so let's just leave it at that.

Prettypackages

Erine n one said you said anything negative just explaining why ppl identify as black calling yourself mixed race is something ppl are starting to do now. But haven't always. My other point is that if this was your line, nine times out of ten ppl wouldn't question what you were. It is how our society is. But yeah back to makeup. That was a cute story hwprinces.

Lipstickdiva420

Mixed race ppl identifying as black goes back to the 1900's . If you had a drop of black blood, you were black, that's it. Unless you passed. If you look black you are black. It is deeper than ppl acknowledging all of their cultures, and for a long time black people were not allowed to do so, or just didn't. I don't see white ppl acknowledging any African or Black Heritage, yet there's been enough "mixing" going on, that there is more of it than not. This thing is goes deep, way too deep for a makeup thread. But the fact that someone acknowledges her, or she herself, as a black women, doesn't negate anything else. It actually pisses me off when you have a Black Woman, and ppl, magazines, articles, try to find everything in them and they can't just be black.
clapping.gif

Lipstickdiva420

I hope so! I used to be the same way. Still am a bit. But slowly I've realized people don't know me, i don't know them. There opinions of me have no effect on what i think/do. Besides. They're probably aren't worrying about what i think. Why should i waste my time worrying about what they think?
I think most people start to care less what people think as they get older because I know when I was a teen I cared. Now that I'm older I don't really give a damn what people think of me.

Pinkdollface

I think most people start to care less what people think as they get older because I know when I was a teen I cared. Now that I'm older I don't really give a damn what people think of me.
Seriously you have to do that?! I never thought about it, but I don't think that's the case here. They do ask about your nationality, but that's something different. I never really thought about it, but I'm not sure if I have only dutch blood or something else too. I should ask my parents and grandparents, because now I'm curious. I know my parents are dutch and my grandparents too, but further than that I don't know.

I'm not going to mix in the conversation about Rihanna's personal life, because I don't know her personally (and I don't think the media is a very trustworthy source of information) so I don't see how I can judge her or her decisions. I do like her makeup and she wears some really great lipcolours, so I expect a great collection! I'm excited to hear that there will be another retro matte lipstick, so that will be mine!

OctoberViolet

I've always been interested in geneology and different ehtnicities/nationalities. I guess it's something I inherited from my paternal grandmother. I never liked saying I was "white' because I'm not. I'm a mixed ethnic person and very proud of it. We are all mixed. My mother's side is Dutch and we found out later on that her heritage is also from Spain, Greece and possibly South Africa &/or some other place(s). I just say Dutch, Spanish and Greek. My dad's parents were Russian and Polish, but other than that we're not sure.

When I was younger in school when we had to fill out what our nationality was I used to check them all. Then at one time I wrote my nationality was "alive". I got into trouble for that.

Rihanna's personal life is just that. Hers. She is free to do what she wants to, make her choices and take the consequences if need be just like we all do. I enjoy her music, and she seems like a really cool person. I also love her makeup sense. That is all I have to say on this topic...for now.

Seriously you have to do that?! I never thought about it, but I don't think that's the case here. They do ask about your nationality, but that's something different. I never really thought about it, but I'm not sure if I have only dutch blood or something else too. I should ask my parents and grandparents, because now I'm curious. I know my parents are dutch and my grandparents too, but further than that I don't know.

I'm not going to mix in the conversation about Rihanna's personal life, because I don't know her personally (and I don't think the media is a very trustworthy source of information) so I don't see how I can judge her or her decisions. I do like her makeup and she wears some really great lipcolours, so I expect a great collection! I'm excited to hear that there will be another retro matte lipstick, so that will be mine!

MaitaiFluff

[COLOR=6600CC]I've always been interested in geneology and different ehtnicities/nationalities. I guess it's something I inherited from my paternal grandmother. I never liked saying I was "white' because I'm not. I'm a mixed ethnic person and very proud of it. We are all mixed. My mother's side is Dutch and we found out later on that her heritage is also from Spain, Greece and possibly South Africa &/or some other place(s). I just say Dutch, Spanish and Greek. My dad's parents were Russian and Polish, but other than that we're not sure.[/COLOR] [COLOR=6600CC]When I was younger in school when we had to fill out what our nationality was I used to check them all. Then at one time I wrote my nationality was "alive". I got into trouble for that.[/COLOR] [COLOR=6600CC]Rihanna's personal life is just that. Hers. She is free to do what she wants to, make her choices and take the consequences if need be just like we all do. I enjoy her music, and she seems like a really cool person. I also love her makeup sense. That is all I have to say on this topic...for now.[/COLOR]
:lol: Aww, you were only showing how silly that question was. I think, and I'm not totally sure, that the US asks what nationality one is on applications (jobs, colleges, etc.) because they are trying to diversify their environment. On a more important note, I can't wait until we know more about these collections.

Pinkdollface

On a more important note, I can't wait until we know more about these collections.
Yes nationality makes sense, because sometime different rules apply if you officially still live in another country or whatever. Asking what race you are is something different though and it isn't necessary the same as your nationality.

MissTT

Race ≠ Ethnicity
Race ≠ Nationality
It seems vocabulary is causing a lot of confusion here. Race is so hard for many people to get. It seems even moreso for people who don’t have to get it. This is my field. I work on this daily and still struggle to help people understand the social implications of race in America and globally.

Anyway on to the makeup. I was just looking at those pretty pics of the packaging again and why… whyyyyyyy is there a big red signature on the packaging? I’ll feel silly using a compact with the big signature of a pop starlet on it at my age. I need a Lucile Ball "wahhh" smilie to properly illustrate my feelings.

bluedreamqueen

I neither love or hate Rihanna. I simply buy what I like (makeup wise) no matter celebrity or spokesperson that is collaborating with mac or any other brand. If their is a beautiful lipstick, blush, or eyeshadow color a celebrity I don't care for will not stop me from buying it. I love makeup and color so one celebrity that has made stupid choices or music will not hinder me from picking up something unique and gorgeous! In the same sense putting a celebrity I love on a campaign will not influence me to make a purchase if the color does not suit me. For example I absolutely love Marylin Monroe yet I didnt get anything from her collection because I didnt need another red lipstick, the beauty powder was too light for me and everythjng else was just blah IMO of course! also I love Nicki Minaj but I didn't buy VG Nicki 2 because the color is not flattering on me! Although I do have her other two mac colors! :) just saying its just makeup -to me- its about whats pretty on me! :)

MaitaiFluff

Yes nationality makes sense, because sometime different rules apply if you officially still live in another country or whatever. Asking what race you are is something different though and it isn't necessary the same as your nationality.
Must have been me posting too early in the morning to realize that I used nationality incorrectly. Thank you for correcting me. :)

RaymondKurzweil

I can't help but cackle at how many times the "MY opinion" card has been pulled on this. It's pretty much clockwork; how is there not a MY OPINION emoticon yet? And it's funny, because it is a reminder of how a(n ex?) fan recently assaulted Rihanna for getting back with Chris. Social reflection at its finest. Grown, grown folks... this thread is going to require me to put on a mouth guard to keep from grinding my teeth but anyway...

The packaging is tacky but probably not in that enjoyable kitschy way. I don't own Ruby Woo (I have Dragon Girl) so I'm going into RiRi Woo with no formula trauma. And we are about the same skin tone so, I'm stoked.

erine1881

Ain't that the truth. It's far less common to see that in Canada, but when it appears I always write in 'human'.
Love it!
That question is on every single form you fill out here in the US, and it shouldn't be.
[COLOR=6600CC]I've always been interested in geneology and different ehtnicities/nationalities. I guess it's something I inherited from my paternal grandmother. I never liked saying I was "white' because I'm not. I'm a mixed ethnic person and very proud of it. We are all mixed. My mother's side is Dutch and we found out later on that her heritage is also from Spain, Greece and possibly South Africa &/or some other place(s). I just say Dutch, Spanish and Greek. My dad's parents were Russian and Polish, but other than that we're not sure.[/COLOR]
I always answer "other" if it's an option. I guess what i was trying to say in the first place is that if someone looks at something and says it's purple, i look at it and say it's also red and blue. I don't like to generalize on anything. I'm a very specific person. That's all i meant.
Anyway on to the makeup. I was just looking at those pretty pics of the packaging again and why… whyyyyyyy is there a big red signature on the packaging? I’ll feel silly using a compact with the big signature of a pop starlet on it at my age. I need a Lucile Ball "wahhh" smilie to properly illustrate my feelings.
:agree: I fell the same way about VG. It looks tacky with their signatures on there. It's not like they did it with all the VGs, just the more recent ones.

RaizinnthaSun

Are you and I the only two people in the world that don't have it? LOL! I know so many people have RW but I just never had the want for it. For whatever reason.
Say what?!
huh2.gif
(I'm just kidding, lol!) But, try to swap for Ruby Woo or B2MAC for it. For reals, it changed my life, lol. I never used to wear red lipstick. I could never find a shade that I really ever liked on my very yellow, NC50 skin. I think that the blue in Ruby Woo really contrasts against the yellow in my skin.

But, I swapped for Ruby Woo on a whim, and the first time I wore it I felt 10 imes sexier. I don't know how a lipstick could do it, but it just did. It looks really pretty when I wear it with NARS Exhibit A blush. I actually like the retro matte finish that it has- it makes it look sexier, to me. No other MAC red looks as good on me as Ruby Woo- they just don't have enough blue in them.

The MAC Early Buzz thread has a picture of Rihanna supposedly wearing Riri Woo. I hope that the lipstick she's wearing is not RiRi Woo...that lipstick leans pink. I was hoping that RiRi Woo would be a bluer, deeper toned Ruby Woo.

erine1881

Say what?! 
huh2.gif
  (I'm just kidding, lol!) But, try to swap for Ruby Woo or B2MAC for it. For reals, it changed my life, lol. I never used to wear red lipstick. I could never find a shade that I really ever liked on my very yellow, NC50 skin. I think that the blue in Ruby Woo really contrasts against the yellow in my skin. But, I swapped for Ruby Woo on a whim, and the first time I wore it I felt 10 imes sexier. I don't know how a lipstick could do it, but it just did. It looks really pretty when I wear it with NARS Exhibit A blush. I actually like the retro matte finish that it has- it makes it look sexier, to me. No other MAC red looks as good on me as Ruby Woo- they just don't have enough blue in them.  The MAC Early Buzz thread has a picture of Rihanna supposedly wearing Riri Woo. I hope that the lipstick she's wearing is not RiRi Woo...that lipstick leans pink. I was hoping that RiRi Woo would be a bluer, deeper toned Ruby Woo. 
I honestly believe that Ruby Woo is the one lipstick that works on Every. Single. Person! I've yet to find one person it doesn't look good on!

Status
Not open for further replies.