Marc Jacobs Beauty

awickedshape

Girl just google people's reactions to his show and his comments on their reactions. Soooo disappointed.

I only saw a little bit of it.
Made the mistake of reading some comments.
I don't always understand the cultural appropriation debate on particular issues but I get so tired of the "get over it!" comments.
There's a lot of history there

Prettypackages

What Shars said. And why assume that White people are the only ones with straight hair, or just stop commenting on things when you DON'T know the history or understanding of something... But yeah, tired of the Get Over It comments... It's tasteless, dismissive, and rude.

elegant-one

What Shars said. And why assume that White people are the only ones with straight hair, or just stop commenting on things when you DON'T know the history or understanding of something... But yeah, tired of the Get Over It comments... It's tasteless, dismissive, and rude.

Hey, I just found the eyelashes Erine told me to get :doh: Red Cherry 43, 47, 523s. Sorry it took me so long :tee:

awickedshape

It is dismissive.

boschicka

I don't always understand the cultural appropriation debate on particular issues but I get so tired of the "get over it!" comments.

People's lack of understanding and empathy about such issues can really be shocking.

Shars

I think some people do take things too far with a lot of the debates. In my opinion, there's a difference between cultural appropriation and cultural misappropriation. The former is the only reason why we have a more diversified and enriched world. If we didn't take things from different cultures to enhance our own, this world would be a boring place. However, if a characteristic of one culture is shunned and looked down upon by another culture, who then takes the same characteristic (unchanged), adopts it and then starts to praise it and further, makes profit from it, that is misappropriation, which I think is what is causing most of the upset. Unfortunately, race has been thrown into the mix as well (since a lot of culture comes from race, ethnic background, country etc.) and this is what I think is causing most people guilty of cultural misappropriation to get defensive without trying to even listen and/or understand the debates.

Sorry to derail the thread but this dismissive behaviour is part of the reason why we still have brands that don't cover the full spectrum of shades in their beauty lines.

fur4elise

I think some people do take things too far with a lot of the debates. In my opinion, there's a difference between cultural appropriation and cultural misappropriation. The former is the only reason why we have a more diversified and enriched world. If we didn't take things from different cultures to enhance our own, this world would be a boring place.
^^^^THIS if done with respect and attribution (giving credit where credit is due!)!

However, if a characteristic of one culture is shunned and looked down upon by another culture, who then takes the same characteristic (unchanged), adopts it and then starts to praise it and further, makes profit from it, that is misappropriation, which I think is what is causing most of the upset. Unfortunately, race has been thrown into the mix as well (since a lot of culture comes from race, ethnic background, country etc.) and this is what I think is causing most people guilty of cultural misappropriation to get defensive without trying to even listen and/or understand the debates.

Sorry to derail the thread but this dismissive behavior is part of the reason why we still have brands that don't cover the full spectrum of shades in their beauty lines.

Shars! Very well said!

awickedshape

I think some people do take things too far with a lot of the debates. In my opinion, there's a difference between cultural appropriation and cultural misappropriation. The former is the only reason why we have a more diversified and enriched world. If we didn't take things from different cultures to enhance our own, this world would be a boring place. However, if a characteristic of one culture is shunned and looked down upon by another culture, who then takes the same characteristic (unchanged), adopts it and then starts to praise it and further, makes profit from it, that is misappropriation, which I think is what is causing most of the upset. Unfortunately, race has been thrown into the mix as well (since a lot of culture comes from race, ethnic background, country etc.) and this is what I think is causing most people guilty of cultural misappropriation to get defensive without trying to even listen and/or understand the debates.

Sorry to derail the thread but this dismissive behaviour is part of the reason why we still have brands that don't cover the full spectrum of shades in their beauty lines.

Well said

Pinklaine

Really love the look of Shush Blush because I love pinky reddy colors. Can't wait to try out this formula. I'm all done with matte liquid lipsticks. XD

Latest posts