Mixing Medium...

lethaldesign

Anybody know if the freestanding stores carry the MM or is just the Pro stores?

TIA
smiles.gif

Danapotter

I have two questions.

1. Where can I buy glycerin? (CVS, Rite Aid? Link please?)

2. Does Visine work too? I heard some people use it as mixing medium?

MACATTAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danapotter
I have two questions.

1. Where can I buy glycerin? (CVS, Rite Aid? Link please?)

2. Does Visine work too? I heard some people use it as mixing medium?

1. Yes, you can buy glycerin at CVS or Rite Aid...I looked at Walgreens before & didn't find it there. I did find it at Albertsons, of all places!

2. Yes, Visine will work too...you can use Saline as well, or just plain old water does the trick too.

Danapotter

Thank you! I always ask for it and they say "medication?" and I say no and they have no idea what I am talking about.

Well, thank you!

bintdaniel

Hi everybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizMac
I use a recipe close to that as well, I use a bit more glycerine to make it a bit thicker when I do the glitter thing.

MizMac, could you please tell me how much glycerine and water you use exactly? I'm interested in your recipe
winks.gif

bye!

Danapotter

I just tried out mixing medium at the Pro store and I think it just changed my life!

I love this stuff! It makes pigments so creamy and bright!
clap.gif

Danapotter

Can someone help? I put a drop of MM into the pigment mixed applied the lovely thing on my lid and then it started to burn! NOOOOOOO!

What did I do wrong?

~Crystal~

This may be really obvious... but are you sure you used the water based mixing medium instead of the alcohol based one?

Danapotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crystal~
This may be really obvious... but are you sure you used the water based mixing medium instead of the alcohol based one?

Yep, it is water based.
weeping.gif

j_absinthe

A question about using Mixing Medium in airbrushing:

I wanted to created an airbrushed glittery effect, and does anyone here know if it's possible to achieve using an airbrush gun, Mixing Medium, and some glitter?

bintdaniel

hi, I've just made my own mixing medium with glycerin.
It is very liquid: normal?
I applied it on my lid with my 242 brush, it flowed in my eyes and it started to burn, really!! I put water in them and it's ok.
Is it normal that glycerin burns the eyes?

thanks for answering
smiles.gif

SHAQATTACK

Re: Matte and Mixing Medium?

Paint, Shadesticks, Fluidline (as a base, not liner), and the new Paint Pots all make shadow wear w/out creasing. CCB's are mostly for artists who do runway shows, cause the look don't have to last very long!

bintdaniel

Hi
smiles.gif

Well..I'd like to know if you find that the home made mixing medium is equal to UDPP??
I've heard that UDPP what really good but the home made mm is cheaper so could you answer me please?
Thanks
smiles.gif

pnayluvs1

Hey Ladies,

I've made my own mixing medium using that same 3 parts water, to 1 part glycerin. I went to rite aid and walmart and they have glycerin for about $3 bucks! It's a little hard to find though . .check around the pharmacy and shaving needs aisles. I also picked up a little spray bottle for .50 - $1.00 to put it in after.

My experience is that it works just as well as the $14+ mixing medium from MAC. I've never had a burning or cold/tingling sensation like those who use the actual MAC stuff.

For application I used an old eyelash tray from MAC. I put my pigment in, and squirt a tiny bit of the homemade mixing medium. I find it alot easier doing it that way because I can take it EVERYWHERE! No need to get a dish or other kinds of container to mix it in.

The home made stuff doesn't crease either! Total cost for me to make it was about $5 bucks.

Copperhead

I use the mixing medium and I love it. A question for the ladies who are making their own by mixing glycerin and water.... how long does your product last? Glycerin leads me to think that some type of preservative should be used. Unless you're mixing a new batch each time for individual use. Anyone have the ingredients for MAC's mixing medium (water based)? I only have the bottle. No box which is where the ingredients are.

pnayluvs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead
I use the mixing medium and I love it. A question for the ladies who are making their own by mixing glycerin and water.... how long does your product last? Glycerin leads me to think that some type of preservative should be used. Unless you're mixing a new batch each time for individual use. Anyone have the ingredients for MAC's mixing medium (water based)? I only have the bottle. No box which is where the ingredients are.

I've had my home made stuff in a little spray bottle. I've had it for 2 months and I hasn't changed consistency or developed an odor so i'm assuming it's still good.

Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnayluvs1
I've had my home made stuff in a little spray bottle. I've had it for 2 months and I hasn't changed consistency or developed an odor so i'm assuming it's still good.

Great! Thanks!