Nail Polish Discussion - Any Brand

PearlyQueen

I finally got my ILNPs last week!
cheerleader.gif

But, like Anitacska, I was quite disappointed in their 'holo-ness' at first sight. I wore Bottle Service over the weekend and was VERY disappointed. Because of the metallic pigments you could see the brushstrokes, and the heavy pigment overwhelmed the holo effect. Didn't like it one bit. It was really sad.
blah.gif
First polish I own that I dislike.

I tried daisies last week and it came out all wrong. I don't know, I'm such having not much luck in manis lately...
bangdesk.gif

Such a sexy colour! Did you ever get the red holo you were looking for some time ago?

W00t! That looks absolutely awesome! Really well done stamping!

Such a pretty mani for a sad occasion.
th_cheerup.gif

Right?! I mean, the bottle has its appeal. You could even stab someone with it!
greengrin.gif

Woohoo! Did you like it? The end is awesome. Even hubby likes it!

So nice and sparkly!

How on earth did you manage to get the Mishka one?! I saw pics of the last three Mystery polishes and am happy that I didn't preorder them. Not my colours at all.

Looking good! Pop in more often and show more of those pretty manis!

Mee too! I also like the Orlys.

That's awful. I once spilled np over my trousers, but nothing like you experienced. And on a Saturday evening!

Love love love. So summery!

I really had some bad mani karma lately. Nothing I wanted to do came out right, or I didn't like it. I also recognized that I don't own any pink polishes. I mean deep pink, I've got some light pink ones that veer into the nude territory or glitters like TWAFT. Any recs?
I have a few decent suspects for a nice red holo, we'll see when I get round to wearing them! My Mishka was eBay and a wad of cash I'm afraid, but I love it!
I like the magenta pinks at the moment, and I veer to holos so I would highly recommend either CbL Dirty Diana or Emily de Molly Maddy's Magenta. Or for an orangey-pink sparkle, Polish Me Silly in Fireball is awesome looking. They're the pinks that have stood out to me recently.

PearlyQueen

New mani time with Phantasm by Ethereal Lacquer - loads of pics, sorry!

This is really similar to Liquid Sky's Twilight Peacock I posted previously. However, this one took four coats for opacity, so definitely not the same! The colour shifts are about the same, but the whole thing is a bit paler, more metallic, and less holo. It's pretty though, and probably would look different over a darker colour, I'll be trying that at some point! The holo really saves itself for very direct very bright light. Haven't had any sun today, so I'm not sure what it will do then! (We had the most amazing storm this morning, about 2 hours of thunder. lightning, hailstones and torrential rain, it's been near enough 30 for the last fortnight, so that was a shock!)

Anneri

PearlyQueen Thank you for the recs! I'll have a look! I also like your new mani though I think I prefer Twilight Peacock! MRV, I'm looking for deeper pinks, nothing light or pastel. Also, a bit more complex than just a creme! Here are some of my manis I wore last week! IB Acid Ocean. Love!!!
099ad8dd_image.jpeg
Essie Urban Jungle with some nail tattoos/ water decals.
f6471dcc_image.jpeg
A lot of drugstore polishes, mainly Catrice with nailvinyls and one of the Maybelline Acid Washs.
f4937a6a_image.jpeg
This is Bottle Service I ranted about in my post yesterday. I hated it on its own. Then I tried to stamp over it which didn't work out, and then I tried a waterspotted mani with I Hit my bunny phone which is - okayish. I don't want to try my other ILNPs because I'm afraid they'll suck too!
835057f4_image.jpeg
And this is a fun combo of a Kiko polish (I really wish they would start to name their polishes!) and Zoya Richelle.
2085d007_image.jpeg

PearlyQueen

I prefer Twilight Peacock too, but this is very pretty!
Acid Ocean looks beautiful, I've ordered Reign but now I'm wishing I'd gone for AO as well!
So sorry to hear about your ILNPs, that's one of the very few I didn't go for from that collection, I'm not big on silver polish, somehow it just doesn't suit me. (Weirdly I love gold polish, but only wear silver jewellery!) It certainly doesn't look anything special in your pic, no wonder you were disappointed. What else did you get?
By the way I adore that Kiko, a proper Cadbury purple, just stunning, and I like your nail art with it too.

MRV

New mani time with Phantasm by Ethereal Lacquer - loads of pics, sorry!

This is really similar to Liquid Sky's Twilight Peacock I posted previously. However, this one took four coats for opacity, so definitely not the same! The colour shifts are about the same, but the whole thing is a bit paler, more metallic, and less holo. It's pretty though, and probably would look different over a darker colour, I'll be trying that at some point! The holo really saves itself for very direct very bright light. Haven't had any sun today, so I'm not sure what it will do then! (We had the most amazing storm this morning, about 2 hours of thunder. lightning, hailstones and torrential rain, it's been near enough 30 for the last fortnight, so that was a shock!)

This one looks nice! I love metallic holos.

We've had just a terrible weather! First 5 days +30 C minimum, then two +29 C! Today's the same but finally we should get some rain! During this time I have not seen any rain or thunders, they skipped us even yesterday. We should have three cooler days coming but then it's this
heat.gif
again all next week!

Quote: Originally Posted by Anneri

PearlyQueen Thank you for the recs! I'll have a look! I also like your new mani though I think I prefer Twilight Peacock!

MRV, I'm looking for deeper pinks, nothing light or pastel. Also, a bit more complex than just a creme!

Here are some of my manis I wore last week!

IB Acid Ocean. Love!!!

Essie Urban Jungle with some nail tattoos/ water decals.

A lot of drugstore polishes, mainly Catrice with nailvinyls and one of the Maybelline Acid Washs.

This is Bottle Service I ranted about in my post yesterday. I hated it on its own. Then I tried to stamp over it which didn't work out, and then I tried a waterspotted mani with I Hit my bunny phone which is - okayish. I don't want to try my other ILNPs because I'm afraid they'll suck too!

And this is a fun combo of a Kiko polish (I really wish they would start to name their polishes!) and Zoya Richelle.
I will look into my stash for the pinks.

Lovely manis again! The drugstore and Kiko ones especially. Is that 473? (I got 472 and 474). You managed to do fine saving your ILNP mani. I think I have one silvery from them - yes, MEGA. It lived more up to it's name.

My new mani is Elevation Puncak Jaya with Yeti's Oceanside Vacation. PJ' s formula was just
omg.gif
creamy!

Fuzzy

Thank you, PQ. I don't know what happened but by 24 hrs my right hand nails were all crackled! They did not chip though (apart from a tiny one) until the next day, by the time my left hand nails were also crackled!
icon_eek.gif
I dunno. Maybe it was just the heavy layers? Can't be my new matte TC (It's PP g'day matte!).

We are waiting to see the Mishka on you!

We've had just a terrible weather! First 5 days +30 C minimum, then two +29 C! Today's the same but finally we should get some rain! During this time I have not seen any rain or thunders, they skipped us even yesterday. We should have three cooler days coming but then it's this
heat.gif
again all next week!

Lovely manis again! The drugstore and Kiko ones especially. Is that 473? (I got 472 and 474). You managed to do fine saving your ILNP mani. I think I have one silvery from them - yes, MEGA. It lived more up to it's name.

My new mani is Elevation Puncak Jaya with Yeti's Oceanside Vacation. PJ' s formula was just
omg.gif
creamy!

Ugh that is so hot, MRV! ...sounds like what it normally would be in Toronto, but it has been mid-20s this week and mid-teens at night. it's very strange, but I'm not complaining! It was helpful to walk home in 20C from the blood test lab after they took all my blood lol Would have fainted if it was 30C!

Gorgeous mani! I love the name Yeti's Oceanside Vacation lol

MRV

Very Pretty, I really love the neon!

Ugh that is so hot, MRV! ...sounds like what it normally would be in Toronto, but it has been mid-20s this week and mid-teens at night. it's very strange, but I'm not complaining! It was helpful to walk home in 20C from the blood test lab after they took all my blood lol Would have fainted if it was 30C!

Gorgeous mani! I love the name Yeti's Oceanside Vacation lol
Thanks, Fuzzy! Nice to hear you've had some cooler days. Yesterday we finally had a considerable but shot thunder storm with heavy rain, and it was sooo good to have a cool evening!
heart.gif

Ok, here's CbL Gemini Rising (much bighter IRL!) and KBS Partners in Lime

PearlyQueen

Thank you, PQ. I don't know what happened but by 24 hrs my right hand nails were all crackled! They did not chip though (apart from a tiny one) until the next day, by the time my left hand nails were also crackled!
icon_eek.gif
I dunno. Maybe it was just the heavy layers? Can't be my new matte TC (It's PP g'day matte!).

We are waiting to see the Mishka on you!

heat.gif
again all next week!

omg.gif
creamy!

That's a really pretty blue, and those glitters add something special!

PearlyQueen

Really interesting! TY, Anneri.

Thanks, Fuzzy! Nice to hear you've had some cooler days. Yesterday we finally had a considerable but shot thunder storm with heavy rain, and it was sooo good to have a cool evening!
heart.gif

Ok, here's CbL Gemini Rising (much bighter IRL!) and KBS Partners in Lime

What an awesome green holo - that wasn't on my shopping list... until now! You wear it well! (Sorry, but the glitters aren't doing it for me, I prefer the nails that don't have them)

Anneri

I was at the Mac store today and swatched the new topcoats on my existing dark purple mani. Yup, quite nice, but absolutely redundant for npas! I took a few pics - pinky ist the texture tc which was the most boring of all.
4ef2ef16_image.jpeg
e56e61e1_image.jpeg

MRV

I might get a few but thankfully most of the new fall shades I've seen are not tempting me.

In the spring I had this 'coral on coral' mani with some spring Essies. This was supposed to be kind of a more saturated summer version but the stamping did not quite work. Anyways, it's Essie Roarrrrange and Fierce, No Fear.

PearlyQueen

Thanks, PQ! The green glitter is a texture polish (on it's own here) so it does look a bit different...

I saw these irl a few weeks ago but did not get any more excited than when I learned about them. They may work with Mac polishes and other cremes but I'm not really interested in this kind of toppers when there are better "real" polishes. The texture one is almost like crinkled plastic on your nail!
lol.gif
Thank you for the swatches though! Good to have them in our swatch library.

I might get a few but thankfully most of the new fall shades I've seen are not tempting me.

In the spring I had this 'coral on coral' mani with some spring Essies. This was supposed to be kind of a more saturated summer version but the stamping did not quite work. Anyways, it's Essie Roarrrrange and Fierce, No Fear.

Another flawless mani MRV, you do such a fantastic job! And wear such different colours from me - really makes me think about expanding, that brown is deliciously different to anything I have.

PearlyQueen

This week's new mani from me is (allegedly) Liquid Sky Lacquer - Walk on the Wild Side:

With Flash

Sunlight

In shade

I'm not convinced this colour is labelled correctly, online swatches show a much more vibrant purple than this one. It's pretty, but a bit pastel for my usual taste. The holo is awesome though! I've emailed LSL to ask her opinion - unfortunately, it's many months since I bought this polish, way too late to raise any sort of ruckus about mislabelling or send it back, but I'm convinced I've not got the right colour here.
I expected this:

Not quite the same! This is a good lesson in not buying polishes you don't get a chance to wear for months!!!
Will I learn....???

My only new polish for last week was The Devil Wears Polish - Good Evening Clarice:

Anitacska

Just wanted to drop in and say thank you for your kind words. Things aren't any better here, some days are better than others, but on the whole, nothing's changed. Very upsetting. We have an appointment with the children's mental health services on Thursday, my husband will be going to it as there is no way we can drag my daughter there, she's still saying noone can help her and doesn't want us to get help. I haven't got much faith in what they can do for us this way, but we'll see what they say. In the meantime we're trying to cope with each day as it comes. It's very hard for my other two as well, they'd missed out on our holiday (we were going to go to Portugal, but there was no way we could risk it) and they are both struggling with the situation. My husband is off work this week, but back next week, so I'm fully expecting to be stuck at home all week. Not how we wanted our summer holiday to be spent, but what can you do? Anyway, thanks again for your kind wishes. Love to you all. xxx

PearlyQueen

Just wanted to drop in and say thank you for your kind words. Things aren't any better here, some days are better than others, but on the whole, nothing's changed. Very upsetting. We have an appointment with the children's mental health services on Thursday, my husband will be going to it as there is no way we can drag my daughter there, she's still saying noone can help her and doesn't want us to get help. I haven't got much faith in what they can do for us this way, but we'll see what they say. In the meantime we're trying to cope with each day as it comes. It's very hard for my other two as well, they'd missed out on our holiday (we were going to go to Portugal, but there was no way we could risk it) and they are both struggling with the situation. My husband is off work this week, but back next week, so I'm fully expecting to be stuck at home all week. Not how we wanted our summer holiday to be spent, but what can you do? Anyway, thanks again for your kind wishes. Love to you all. xxx
I'm so sorry to hear that things aren't improving Anita. It must be really frightening for the whole family.
Take care of yourself
x

PearlyQueen

This week's new mani from me is (allegedly) Liquid Sky Lacquer - Walk on the Wild Side:

With Flash

Sunlight

In shade

I'm not convinced this colour is labelled correctly, online swatches show a much more vibrant purple than this one. It's pretty, but a bit pastel for my usual taste. The holo is awesome though! I've emailed LSL to ask her opinion - unfortunately, it's many months since I bought this polish, way too late to raise any sort of ruckus about mislabelling or send it back, but I'm convinced I've not got the right colour here.
I expected this:

Not quite the same! This is a good lesson in not buying polishes you don't get a chance to wear for months!!!
Will I learn....???

My only new polish for last week was The Devil Wears Polish - Good Evening Clarice:
Just thought I'd update you - Carolyn at LSL came back to me and categorically stated that this polish is definitely NOT Walk on the Wild Side! She thinks it's been mis-labelled and has said she'll send me a replacement bottle, which is awesome considering I said I didn't expect any action about a polish bought a while ago from a third party stockist.
I've sent my address, so hopefully I'll have the real deal on the way soon! I hope she realised when I emailed her that I'm in the UK!

MRV

Just thought I'd update you - Carolyn at LSL came back to me and categorically stated that this polish is definitely NOT Walk on the Wild Side! She thinks it's been mis-labelled and has said she'll send me a replacement bottle, which is awesome considering I said I didn't expect any action about a polish bought a while ago from a third party stockist.
I've sent my address, so hopefully I'll have the real deal on the way soon! I hope she realised when I emailed her that I'm in the UK!
That mislabeling is such a bummer but nice to hear you're getting the right one. Once I received a mislabeled FF from a stockist, too. I found a pic here:

I noticed right away that hey I already have this polish (Abracadaver). Sea Pony is a brighter purple with brighter glitters. I contacted FF and told them about it and they said it's def. mislabeled. In the end I got the correct polish from the stockist.

ATM I'm wearing two P&J polishes, 014 Confetti and 015 Venus. This looks rather springy or even winterly but they are from summer 2011.

heat.gif
I'm dying here. On Monday we had +32.6 C, yesterday almost as much, and I was just thinking "feels cooler" and it's +30 C again!
thud.gif
Today should be the last day over +30 C though. It's not funny any more as it's been super hot for weeks!

Latest posts