Napoleon Perdis cosmetics

trucco.diva

From everything I've heard, Napoleon is just crap. Sure, a few of their products are good but not worth the price. It's also widely said that a lot of his stuff is just a cheaper brand called La Femme rebranded- exactly identical.

I've tried a few of their products and thy are definitely not worth the price. Oh and I've read about a MA that did a course with Napoleon and hides it; as in she doesn't put it on her resume as Napoleon has a bad name in the industry. On another forum I am a member of, eberyone that has done the course says it is a complete waste of time and money. It doesn't sound too good..
Oh my gosh this is soooooooooooo wrong!!! sorry but I worked for Napoleon at Fashion week in Aussie and New Zealand,its statistically proven that 85% of trained MA's in aussie were trained at a Napoleon academy.

Napoleon is amazing an Mac and Napoleon are made at the same factory so their products are incredibly similar.

I used to be a MAC girl until Napoleon came to NZ, its awesome, especially if you like loose dust, and great foundations.

Its the opposite for us down under, Napoleon is cheaper and MAC is like insanly expensive,like $95 for a foundation brush.its crazy.

But on a side note, Napoleon only hire qualified make-up artists down here, and you have tp have 2 years experience to work at mac.

really im a trucco girl at heart.........or face.......my favourites!!!

ballerino

omg im so glad the light is being shed on napoleon. The foundations, i have been told, are horrid for your skin and i can say that from experience also. The mosaic bronzer is a great bronzer i have found tho, but only if you have olive skin. The range is quite pathetic i find, its so overpriced and i LOATHE all the lip laqceurs, they look foul on. I've not tried the LS but i hear theyre not too bad, and I only own one loose pigment which is fair quality and frankly i am sick of naeive australians not seeing how much theyre being ripped off with these products. The primers are ok but not worth the price tag at all and even though the range works for some people (each to their own i say!) i personally cant stand it.
And you know wat i only just realised how orange they make ppl look! Now that you say it, i can so totally see it! lol eww..
And what the heck, all the formal/prom girls come out with the same eye makeup, that sometimes doesnt even suit them, and most girls freak out at the intensity!!!!

I was also advised by an owner of a well known sydney based makeup college that their diploma trains graduates only to use napoleon products, and they finish with a degree that is frowned upon in australia and holds not much credit in the real world when applying for jobs. This is only what he told me so dont anyone lash out at me!!!!!

Anyhow napoleon is a no-no all round in my opinion so i strongly advise anyone against it (unless they can get the products much cheaper, for a price they may actually be worth)

-Damian

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerino
I was also advised by an owner of a well known sydney based makeup college that their diploma trains graduates only to use napoleon products, and they finish with a degree that is frowned upon in australia and holds not much credit in the real world when applying for jobs. This is only what he told me so dont anyone lash out at me!!!!!

...you know, I know exactly who you're talking about.
lol.gif

Quote:
its statistically proven that 85% of trained MA's in aussie were trained at a Napoleon academy.

Bwaaaaahahahaha. I don't know who you've been talking to, but that's a complete joke. The numbers are much, much smaller.
smiles.gif

mspixieears

I know that Napoleon seems to be badly thought of, I was just wondering, from the viewpoint of those in the industry, why is this?

Bec688

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspixieears
I know that Napoleon seems to be badly thought of, I was just wondering, from the viewpoint of those in the industry, why is this?

Napolean Perdis himself didnt even finish his own make up course to become a qualified MUA,which means doesn't actually have a certificate or diploma in Make Up Artistry. He then proceeded to open up his own make up academy and launch a make up line, which is in fact is re branded products. The MUA's at his college arn't trained very well, resulting in everyone looking like a cheap tacky tart. They were obviously never introduced to the colour wheel during their training.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec688
Napolean Perdis himself didnt even finish his own make up course to become a qualified MUA,which means doesn't actually have a certificate or diploma in Make Up Artistry. He then proceeded to open up his own make up academy and launch a make up line, which is in fact is re branded products. The MUA's at his college arn't trained very well, resulting in everyone looking like a cheap tacky tart. They were obviously never introduced to the colour wheel during their training.

I don't know anyone who really cares that he didn't finish his training, but it's mostly because the college is pretty much a front to indoctrinate young girls with stars in their eyes to fork out a lot of money to receive barely suitable training on a limited product line, and end up with skills that are only just suitable to work at a make-up counter. I know maybe one, two people who graduated that course who are now working MAs and not retail girls. They had to do a lot of catch-up training to reach working status, most others seem to lose interest once they realise that their training hardly aids them in being able to work professionally and independantly. It's not fair on them; for they price they pay, they should be released with a reasonable expectation of what their work is going to entail, not just know how to flog lipgloss to tweenie shoppers.

If I'm ringing around for assistants, I'll rarely use a Napoleon graduate unless I'm totally hard up. I spend too much time giving them a crash course in basic make-up principles and too little time actually working. They hygeine i usually pretty lax as well, I don't know if it's something that they're not properly taught or I've just been unlucky with lazy girls.

It's a bit of a sore spot, really. My feelings about his business practices are quite mild compared to what other MAs I work with think.

Ah, dear Napoleon!
lol.gif

Although he does rebrand, some of the products don't look too bad. The Barely Blushing products look pretty good.

Has anybody seen this behind-the-scenes video at Alex Perry's show during Australian Fashion Week? It features Nap and he sounds and talks exactly like I expected him to!

sindais

I think you should jsut stick with mac...

napoleon is ... sigh... i dont know how to say this... but bad... very bad.
his stuff are not with the price tag IMO and i think if you were to copy someone elses idea then you should at least acknowledge it rather than claiming the idea as your own.

you cannot say bad things about napoleon on the vogue forum because napoleon pays for advertising in vogue and you also cannot be mean to other members. i know we should be able to voice our opinions on the forum but c'est la vie....

humm ... i object to his eyebrows more than his tan.

I just belive that if you were to charge someone for such a high price, then you should at least spend in money in the R & D and be able to produce something that is worth what you are charging for (ie armani foundations, stila e/s etc etc)

wannabelyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindais
you cannot say bad things about napoleon on the vogue forum because napoleon pays for advertising in vogue and you also cannot be mean to other members. i know we should be able to voice our opinions on the forum but c'est la vie....

that's terrible
we shuoldn't be allowed to say great things about his products either then
icon_eek.gif

pugmommy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis
We have that line at Saks, but I've not looked at it yet.
Guess I'll have to check it out now!!
edit:
It's no longer instore at my Saks. They must have removed it after the holidays. That's interesting about the rebranding. Not many people know this but Bobbi Brown numbers match the numbers of Your Name Cosmetics colors. My teacher at school showed us pics of the comparisons from one of the trade shows in Vegas. Apparentlly the guy who "formulates" her colors at for YNC. Pretty Wild!

Ya know...This is funny, b/c I used to work in a Salon/Spa that used YNC. It was .."eh".
I got a discount so I bought a few of the lipsticks... anyway, I recall getting a Bobbi Brown Lipstick that was the exact same thing. same packaging, same smell, everything. I eventually ditched it b/c it was the WRONG shade for me, but I was overcome by a pushy Nordies MUA.
I was convinced it was the exact same thing. and now, I believe it was.
Goes to show you that you really should just get makeup because you really like how it looks and performs regardless of brand or price
smiles.gif

vive la wet n' wild
winks.gif

sindais

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabelyn
that's terrible
we shuoldn't be allowed to say great things about his products either then
icon_eek.gif

dont think it works that way ...
th_confused_new.gif

ballerino

i think the lg's are gross, the colours ar really limited and are way too sticky, like the wrong kind of sticky, not lipglass sticky... theyre just yuk.

ostentatious

I modelled for my sister in a student fashion show last year. Our makeup was done by students from the Napoleon Perdis academy.

I can't really remember thinking that the makeup or the makeup artists were that fantastic. I think everyone was expecting something a lot more dramatic than the look they did.

wendywei85

it is also possible that different formulas are being used in different countries (just like the Lancome foundation which was from Paris differs from the same type in the US)

I tried their products in Aus and they seemed pretty good. I guess it's also because you guys always compare NA to MAC and MAC didn't impress me that much either.... Bloom had some better eyeshadows than both but is not as popular and widespread.

but in the end, it all comes down to what you actually believe in. Cos everyone is biased and we tend to adopt a certain view before trying out the product properly

maxcat

Don't know the line, but was curious and had the opportunity to watch him at an event in the US. I was impressed with his energy but then I noticed he used the same tube of mascara and *the same wand* on about 50 different women.... and that about summed up about all I needed to know about him.
Blech.

mia88

Hmm seems like there's a lot of slander on here in this thread! I'm doing the Napoleon 8 week cert course at the moment and we got introduced to the colourwheel on day one. The instructors are great, friendly and very experienced. Maybe it's different here in NZ? I think Napoleon has some really nice products/ colours, but I also still love my MAC
smiles.gif
I personally haven't met Napoleon but have heard that he's very erm lemme see...outrageous and eccentric? I guess it matters that the organisation is led by a charismatic person?

girlambrosia

...I think there was some sort of expose thing done on him on Channel 9's A Current Affair - something about him sending out intimidating emails to young girls. Sounds like a bloody mean bastard to me - there's a 'statement' on his website.

(I have to say, he looks bloody weird.)

I'm not such a fan of his makeup - I've got a couple of eye pencils that I really wished I'd bought at MAC - he charges 26AUD, MAC charges 29AUD - because they're turning crumbly. Urgh. It's just a bit sad, really.

However, I've always had more fun with Napoleon counter girls than MAC. Oh well, I'll settle for lonely browsing over crumbly old eye pencils anyday
ssad.gif

(The lip stuff is too sticky, I agree!)

Rockell

There was a Napoleon counter at my mall (they're not too common in the US from what I understand?) but they closed because there wasn't much business.

The only thing I've tried from the line are some pigments that I got samples of. They're nice, but not extraordinary, and they're so expensive for the full size!!
I'll stick to mineral e-tailers and MAC.

katisha

Napoleon is the Australian MAC? :spy:
No!

It's embarrassing to think that Napoleon has the guts to market himself that way.