NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powders

katred

Specktra Bestie
I'm wearing the powder today. I applied it with my big powder brush- Mac 150 (does anyone have any thoughts on whether it's worth getting the 134 if I already have this one? I'm tempted). This seemed to work perfectly. I haven't come up with a strategy for retouching during the day, since the pad included with it seems useless. But a light application of the powder did give me the coveted "photoshop" look and a bit of a glow (without looking oily!).

Medgal07

I have the 129 and 167SH brushes from MAC's permanent brush line, but this is where I find that brushes from MAC's LE sets are pretty useful. I carry a 129 or 167SE (from the LE sets) or SH, which fit nicely into a small makeup bag for use with the pressed version of this powder. You can buff quite well with them, especially with the 167SH/LE, but they're equally useful for just a light touchup.
I'm wearing the powder today. I applied it with my big powder brush- Mac 150 (does anyone have any thoughts on whether it's worth getting the 134 if I already have this one? I'm tempted). This seemed to work perfectly. I haven't come up with a strategy for retouching during the day, since the pad included with it seems useless. But a light application of the powder did give me the coveted "photoshop" look and a bit of a glow (without looking oily!).

katred

Specktra Bestie
I have the 129 and 167SH brushes from MAC's permanent brush line, but this is where I find that brushes from MAC's LE sets are pretty useful. I carry a 129 or 167SE (from the LE sets) or SH, which fit nicely into a small makeup bag for use with the pressed version of this powder. You can buff quite well with them, especially with the 167SH/LE, but they're equally useful for just a light touchup.
The 150 is great for application but for buffing , I get the best results from a Kabuki. I'm not a PRO, and as skilled individuals they can make just about anything work. I look for tools that I can handle. When I apply this powder (loose version) at home I find that I do best with the NARS Yachiyo kabuki brush. The brush head is small and not as dense as the MAC 182/178 kabukis, and I'm able to pick up less powder with the Yachiyo.
Thanks very much for the advice- I'm in the same position in that I'm by no means a pro, so I need to rely more on my tools. I already adore the Yachiyo and will try it with this. Although if I start using it for anything else, I swear I'm going to have to buy a second one. It's already my go-to for most blushes and sometimes for highlighters.

Supercoolstephy

I picked the pressed powder today. I can't wait to try it over the new Mac mineralize foundation. I can't wait to try it together. Are you putting it over everything after (blush, bronzer, etc.) or are you putting it only the foundation.

elegant-one

I am loving just using it on bare skin & then my blush over it. Other times I use it first & then the Marilyn BP over it & then blush.

elegant-one

Oh, I FINALLY smelled it
lol.gif
It smells like cornflakes to me. I don't really notice it though

MissTT

I picked the pressed powder today. I can't wait to try it over the new Mac mineralize foundation. I can't wait to try it together. Are you putting it over everything after (blush, bronzer, etc.) or are you putting it only the foundation.
Since it's supposed to set your foundation I'm using the powder after my foundation/TM; before blush.

OMG, elegant, the smell jumps out at me too now. It dissipates very quickly though so that's good. I do feel this is probably the lightest powder I've ever used. I think I should test it side-by-side with another one of my powders to see if I'm having actual shine on my skin or if it's the radiance factor. I've spent my whole adult like trying to keep my face matte, but now I'm rethinking that. I want radiance. I want a glow. But I still don't want to look oily. Since I've never really seen this on my skin I suspect I can't tell the difference. My brain sees a reflective spot on my face and goes into panic mode.

linainoz

lmao.gif
Cornflakes? Then I must have the 'Jiff' version because I detect a nutty smell
icon_eek.gif
Me too Medgal! I keep thinking of almonds/marzipan whenever I use it. And not in a pleasant way. At least it dissapates quickly - I couldn't handle that smell for long.

Prettypackages

OMG, this stuff does smell like cornchips. I kept thinking something was wrong with my brush. I have to say it does look good in pictures.

califabulous

has anyone compared this to the hourglass ambient powders? I tried dim today and I can tell that nars' powder has a distinct soft focus look. But I have had a couple of weeks with nars and practically no time with dim. I chose to swatch that one because it seems to yield no color and no real "sparkle" so I thought it was most similar to the LRP. I was thinking maybe dim would be more user friendly (no white cast vs possible white cast). Its like i'll never know if I've buffed enough. And my job is good for taking pictures on a whim.
icon_eek.gif

katelyn0

so i don't know if i ever posted in this thread after purchasing... i LOVE my nars light reflecting powder. i got it in the pressed. but now i want the loose!! lol. but all the sephoras in my city are currently sold out of both versions...

katelyn0

has anyone compared this to the hourglass ambient powders? I tried dim today and I can tell that nars' powder has a distinct soft focus look. But I have had a couple of weeks with nars and practically no time with dim. I chose to swatch that one because it seems to yield no color and no real "sparkle" so I thought it was most similar to the LRP. I was thinking maybe dim would be more user friendly (no white cast vs possible white cast). Its like i'll never know if I've buffed enough. And my job is good for taking pictures on a whim.
icon_eek.gif
i think the hourglass ambient powders are more for highlighting than setting. the nars i wouldn't use for highlighting, it's for setting.

MaryJane

icon_eek.gif
The Nars is strictly a setting powder. Some of the Ambient powders can be used as highlighters while others can be used all over - it depends on which color you get. I have Diffused which conceals redness and evens out skin tone and Dim which adds the slightest bit of warmth to my skin. I think these are great...it's jsut a matter of finding the right color.

Yazmin

My loose powder will arrive by Wednesday or Thursday. I hope to get the pressed soon, it's currently sitting in my Sephora cart. I wonder why it's not available on the NARS website and only the loose is?

Ladychris11

The pressed version also isn't available on nordstrom, that's why i just got the loose one instead, which will be arriving next week. I was wondering, would my trusty old ELF studio powder brush get too much product?

Medgal07

I was wondering, would my trusty old ELF studio powder brush get too much product?
Having now used the pressed version of the powder, I started rethinking the brush that I tried to use with it. After a little research I decided to order the Hourglass Ambient Powder brush. I hope it will pick up the product as I'd like. It looks like it will be good for lightly sweeping the powder over the entire face or for just touching up. Fingers crossed.
th_dunno.gif

http://www.sephora.com/ambient-powder-brush-P377724?skuId=1489376

miss o

[COLOR=008000]Thank you for your kind words :bouquet: .  It appears that this powder works for people of many ethnicities & skin types.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work for everyone, and my personal experience is that the powder performs differently over various products---like foundation and tinted moisturizer.  I obtain a good result with a small amount of the powder, buffed well into my skin.  I hope you're able to get it to work for you as well, and I hope you're able to cherish life's ups and conquer its downs.  [/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]Be well. [/COLOR]:support: [COLOR=008000]  [/COLOR]

miss o

Because of our private message I was fully aware that I could ask that question,&u are far tooo sophisticated to take any disrespect. I LOVE THIS PRODUCT I was using wrong primer&switched to Smash box Photo finish..I adore the premise of deflected light.I am loving a pink k bourgeois eyeshadow. I shall message u later.Yes Iam strong*was touched by ur insite&wisdom.Ifeel I should tell u something, as you are wize&clever . You are blessed.Miss O
d5f3755a_PicsArt_1363290792128.jpeg

mimilerio

iirc a youtuber joshcolliermua (n/a) posted a brilliant review on the hg powders and the brush and why/how the brush was designed, its purpose, and what to look for in brushes in your stash that will perform similarly...

Latest posts