NARS Spring 2013

elegant-one

Stabbiness....oh man that is a new makeup term
lol.gif

So why is it so light? Bummer that it is not soft. Should I cancel it?
oh.gif

KiKi Kontour

The Yachiyo is wonderful for highly pigmented blushes. It is a tad scratchy IMHO (or maybe not as soft as I was expecting a $50 brush to be) and I've had a few bristles fallout, but not enough to ruin my makeup. We're talking maybe 4-5. Due to it's shape you can also highlight and contour with it pretty easily. Since it's a bit pointy you can also dust powder under the eyes to set concealer. I just use it for pigmented blushes though. While I like it, I'm not sure it's worth 50 duckets. I'd take advantage of the Beauty.com and/or NARS 20% off sales or Sephora's VIB sale to get a discount. Oh or a GiltCity coupon. The Real Techniques blush brush has also received fantastic reviews in its use with pigmented blushes and it's very affordable. I used it once, but gave it to my daughter b/c I had the Yachiyo. (I was wanting a secondary blush brush for my non-pigmented blushes.) It's very soft, no shedding, stands up on your counter, is cruelty-free, and dries quickly. My other NARS brushes are the Small Dome #12, Ita, and Smudge #15.
i have the RT face powder brushes n i loooove them! u actually reminded me that i need to pick up more. i was rather impressed on how awesome they are n im glad they arent expensive becuz there good for makeup newbies (like myself). i've been researchin some good quality long lasting LESS SHEDDING brushes. i hear good things on Sigma too!!

KiKi Kontour

lol.gif

oh.gif
noooo dont cancel it...i wanna hear ur review too!! maybe the "stabbiness" is due to some hard azz goat hair that wasn't properly brushed before plucked!! take the stab in the name of loooove!!!

MarieMary

lol.gif

oh.gif
It's light because the handle is thin and lightweight (but strong), and the bristles are not densely packed together (thus making it great to diffuse color). I wouldn't call it "not soft". It's soft alright, but it's not the softest. I have very sensitive skin, and it doesn't bother me.

elegant-one

It's light because the handle is thin and lightweight (but strong), and the bristles are not densely packed together (thus making it great to diffuse color). I wouldn't call it "not soft". It's soft alright, but it's not the softest. I have very sensitive skin, and it doesn't bother me.
Ok, thanks. I have sensitive skin also. Maybe I will luck out & get a soft one....without the hard goat hair
lol.gif

MissTT

oh.gif
Hard to describe, elegant-one. So sorry. It doesn't feel like a Walgreens gift brush set by any means. It's just more coarse than I expected it to be. I've got softer brushes from Lancome, MAC, MUFE, and NARS. It feels like a Sephora blush brush I had. The low density of the bristles, however, make it less scratchy than it potentially could be. (Stabby was too strong an adjective. I'll reserve that for Dollar Store sets.) My skin is a touch sensitive and I was expecting spun silk. I envisioned drooling and passing out while swirling on my blush. Okay not so melodramatic, but I've been reading reviews on this brush for years it sounded like people were having NARS' most famous 'O' blush. Apparently it takes more than 50 dollars to make me holler.
girlhaha.gif
Not as soft as I expected is honestly the best descriptor I can think of at this time and I know that's terribly subjective. It's extremely lightweight for the reasons MarieMary described. If you hold the handle toward the end when you apply your blush you are making even softer strokes. Like she said, you really can't be heavy handed with it. I think you should try it out. I have often suspected I may have gotten an off brush.

Rads

th_roll1.gif
rofl.gif

Ok, thanks. I have sensitive skin also. Maybe I will luck out & get a soft one....without the hard goat hair
lol.gif
It doesn't bother my skin either..is just that for $50 I was expecting a cloud..this is 'just normal'...:D I have read people describe this "heavenly soft" and stuff like that...naaaaaaaah..is not...is just normal..and oh..pls. don't cancel it! You will love it with all the scary blushes :D

Rads

Hard to describe, elegant-one. So sorry. It doesn't feel like a Walgreens gift brush set by any means. It's just more coarse than I expected it to be. I've got softer brushes from Lancome, MAC, MUFE, and NARS. It feels like a Sephora blush brush I had. The low density of the bristles, however, make it less scratchy than it potentially could be. (Stabby was too strong an adjective. I'll reserve that for Dollar Store sets.) My skin is a touch sensitive and I was expecting spun silk. I envisioned drooling and passing out while swirling on my blush. Okay not so melodramatic, but I've been reading reviews on this brush for years it sounded like people were having NARS' most famous 'O' blush. Apparently it takes more than 50 dollars to make me holler.
girlhaha.gif
Not as soft as I expected is honestly the best descriptor I can think of at this time and I know that's terribly subjective. It's extremely lightweight for the reasons MarieMary described. If you hold the handle toward the end when you apply your blush you are making even softer strokes. Like she said, you really can't be heavy handed with it. I think you should try it out. I have often suspected I may have gotten an off brush.
I have to agree with everything you said!
th_thstars.gif
was pretty much what I expected too :D

Rads

I still want to try the Hakuhodo brush, though...just to see if there is any difference

MissTT

Yes I want to try something from Hakuhodo, too. I'm not sure what type of brush I'd like to try yet. I want it to be something I use daily at those prices.

MaitaiFluff

It's surprisingly strong. When I first got mine I thought I was going to break it. I also agree that this little guy is a pretty penny. If I didn't work on retail it would take some strong convincing to make the splurge. Also, my Nordies still does not have the spring collection. If I had known that we would be so sluggish, I would have just ordered everything and it would be here by now. Harrumph. I also was a bit nosey around the NARS counter and noticed that the Happening pallet will be coming to Nordstrom for their spring runway event thing.

Rads

Oh they are verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry confusing..I checked their site a couple of times..and I really can't figure out which ones to buy. I think their Yachiyo cost less than the NARS one, though...I saw a review on the NonBlonde for those:

Compared with the NARS Yachiyo: http://www.thenonblonde.com/2011/07/hakuhodo-yachio-brushes-pointed-large.html#.UPhmdmd51do

http://www.thenonblonde.com/2011/08/hakuhodo-small-yachio-brushes-pointed.html#.UPhmSGd51do

I never knew about all these brushes until I saw them on her blog!

Rads

I guess that I'll just get it & see what I think. Maybe Nars improved them if they got returns/complaints.
It's not a fault, Elegant-One - sorry if it sounded that way - that's just how the brush and that's why it works. It's just that there are a lot of reviews which paint a little different picture of it than what it actually is like. Am sure you will love it! I liked her review...she does mention it's not the softest she owns...

http://www.thenonblonde.com/2010/09/nars-yachiyo-brush.html#.UPhntGd51do

I will try and upload a photo of it along with some eye brushes just to give an idea of the size...

Rads

It's not a fault, Elegant-One - sorry if it sounded that way - that's just how the brush and that's why it works. It's just that there are a lot of reviews which paint a little different picture of it than what it actually is like. Am sure you will love it! I liked her review...she does mention it's not the softest she owns...

http://www.thenonblonde.com/2010/09/nars-yachiyo-brush.html#.UPhntGd51do

I will try and upload a photo of it along with some eye brushes just to give an idea of the size...
Okay..here's my photo...hope I don't get thrown out of Specktra for putting such a ridiculous comparison snap :p :p

Umm..I watermarked it..hope that's okay..

MissTT

Oh they are verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry confusing..I checked their site a couple of times..and I really can't figure out which ones to buy. I think their Yachiyo cost less than the NARS one, though...I saw a review on the NonBlonde for those:

Compared with the NARS Yachiyo: http://www.thenonblonde.com/2011/07/hakuhodo-yachio-brushes-pointed-large.html#.UPhmdmd51do

http://www.thenonblonde.com/2011/08/hakuhodo-small-yachio-brushes-pointed.html#.UPhmSGd51do

I never knew about all these brushes until I saw them on her blog!
You are pure evil...
th_drool.gif

katred

Specktra Bestie
lol.gif

oh.gif
I'd say that it's fairly soft. For instance, I find it softer than my Mac 150, which is a tad scratchy, but still a very good brush. It doesn't have the soft, velvety feel of some of the really good synthetic brushes- which I find to be softer than almost any natural hair- like the Hourglass ones. It's light because of the materials it's made from- don't worry, it's completely on purpose and not in a cheap way at all. Plus, like I said, I think that's actually one of the reasons that it works so well on pigmented blushes- you aren't fighting gravity as you apply, so the touch is really feather-light.

elegant-one

I'd say that it's fairly soft. For instance, I find it softer than my Mac 150, which is a tad scratchy, but still a very good brush. It doesn't have the soft, velvety feel of some of the really good synthetic brushes- which I find to be softer than almost any natural hair- like the Hourglass ones. It's light because of the materials it's made from- don't worry, it's completely on purpose and not in a cheap way at all. Plus, like I said, I think that's actually one of the reasons that it works so well on pigmented blushes- you aren't fighting gravity as you apply, so the touch is really feather-light.
Thanks! Now I'm curious to get it.

Latest posts