NC 45 is the craziest shade

Lovey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenLeiBlu

Okay, y'all, I do think some MAs are lazy and tend to just default to certain shades, and I know that certain foundations are more forgiving than others (like my favorite, HyperReal) but I ain't gonna lie... the irony of this discussion ( for me at least) is that I still feel like some of us are still "off". I'm an NW 45 most of the year,sometimes moving up to NW47. In MSF Natural, I'm Deep Dark. I once had a MAC MA use Deep on me, and I was nice and ghoulish. In MUFE HD Foundation, I'm 175. I realize that lighting and flash do a lot to alter what someone's skintone may look like, but to me, there are STILL a few of us here who look a lot different, and we purchase/wear the same foundation:

Me w/nothing on at all no flash, just the room lighting:
2dtn3pj.jpg

Me with no foundation, but Deep Dark MSF in my T-Zone, and So Ceylon MSF on cheeks; still no flash, same room
9thkbp.jpg

Although I'm not wearing foundation, compared to the other NW45 pics in this thread, there's a pretty clear variance between us. After reading this, I thought I was going a little bit crazy ( and blind!) I have some NW43 foundation on hand as well as NW47... and a few NC shades ( my daughter is an NC but needs her colors mixed), so I stopped reading so I could test them all, just for my own sanity, LOL. NONE of the NCs look right (obviously), the NW43 was WAY too light, my standby NW45 looks just right ( as well as the aforementioned MUFE HD 175), and the NW 47 is slightly too dark, but will be passable once I inevitably tan over the summer. So, my conclusion is, I know some people and the MAs who matched them are delusional or lazy, and some of us really can safely get away with a color that may be a bit off, but...hell I give up, LOL. I don't know what to say *shrug*

This looks great on you. I am NW 45/47 and MUFE HD 180.

Lovey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominichulinda
summercare.jpg

Ok I had posted this on my blog so I decided to post it here to show a little change in my skin during warmer weather.. took these pictures in the summer of 2007(if you notice in the image within the image I'm wearing a red shirt(taken a day later)..showing off my tanline lol ( the reason for those pictures *and we're all ladies no biggie right* I was taken some pictures for my man for vday 08 *yes we have to be prepare lol).

just for kicks..I think I grew in to my head kind of lol
twins.jpg

I'm twin hints the other head next to me lol

Gorgeous pictures... You are so pretty! Your foundation matches perfectly.

K_ashanti

heavenleiblu i think you got it right with the nw45

100_0418.jpg

this is me with the studio scuplt on in NW 45, room lighting, no flash i don't think we are too far off from one another

eta:i also wear the follow and found them to be good color matches: MUFE hd 175, MUFE mat velvet plus in 75 coffee and MUFE face and body in 44 coffee

nichollecaren

Hey all, I wish I had read this three months ago.

I live in Jamaica, where MAC is rare, expensive, there are no testers AND u cant return it if it doesnt match! needless to say, I spent weeks asking around. The consensus was that i'm an NC45/C7 hmmm...is it one or the other? I was then told...oh theyre the same, doesnt matter which one you choose... (!!!)

Ok, so my very light skinned pal uses c6...I used hers under my eyes, to brighten my face (old habit I picked up from my mom) and it looked pretty flawless. (shes abt three or so shades lighter than me, but a biracial chica like too-i'm half black half chinese) At this point I decided...okay i'll go with C7 then...since I know the c range matches my tone. HA! C7 is too dark! Now what? Has anyone used them both? are they really the same? Maybe if I post a pic someone here can match me?

elongreach

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith130
I always had problems with mac foundations for years cause i was too dark for nc45 and nc50 looked dirty on me. as soon as i walked up to every counter i have ever been to (prob 20+, i moved a lot) they say im nc45 and then when I have it on they get confused like, "why doesnt this match?" Then I would get told bout nc 45 and 50 to get my color. like im some kind of new fool. y should I have to mix foundations at mac no less???

Finally last yr I was at the cco at all places and saw a bottle of nw43. it was like love at first sight. i saw my exact skincolor thru that bottle. pumped some , applied it and it was perfect! I just think its funny how NO MAC MUA ever got my color right. I went to buy some studio scuplt a few weeks ago and the girl was insistent i get nc50 after i told her nw43. i patronized her and when it looked terrible and put on the right color, the one i wanted from jump she didnt saw anything.

I so agree with this!
yes.gif
I must remember that not all MAs know everything and you can't take their word as final. You have to know yourself as well. From now on I'm getting samples before I buy any foundation that an MA recommends for me. I've always been a little nervous about asking for samples, but I'm going to try to get over that.

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_hood_model

100_0418.jpg

Hey you, Mary J Blige is gonna cap you for stealing her pics and posting em here! LOL
th_LMAO.gif

TISH1124

Quote:

100_0418.jpg

this is me with the studio scuplt on in NW 45, room lighting, no flash i don't think we are too far off from one another

eta:i also wear the follow and found them to be good color matches: MUFE hd 175, MUFE mat velvet plus in 75 coffee and MUFE face and body in 44 coffee

Girl that haircolor was meant for you!! it looks great!!!

Curly1908

Is NW55 a fairly common shade? I was pretty ticked off when MAC discontinued my NW50 Foundation Stick, but kept NW 45 and NW55. WTH? That's a HUGE gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongreach
I've always been a little nervous about asking for samples, but I'm going to try to get over that.

I know, right! Something about asking for something for free makes me shy...plus I didn't even know MAC gave free samples until a MA offered me one a few months ago.

Asking for a sample when I'm already purchasing something else makes me feel a little less nervous.

Quote:

100_0418.jpg

You look pretty!
smiles.gif

You know, I'm thinking I might need to get a sample of NW47 to try...

MAC might need to make me a NW48.5.
lmao.gif

And thank you for posting what you wear in MUFE Matte Velvet! I know to rule out Coffee now so I'm going to ask for samples of 80 Cognac and 85 Brown when I go to Sephora.

MAHALO

I don't rely on the MUA to select my foundation shade anymore. The lighting in the stores makes it difficult to judge. I have 2 shades that I wear individually and/or mixed to get the right color. My skin color and tone changes with the season. It's more expensive to buy two colors but it works well for me.

I have also found that the color varies in the different MAC foundation formulations so I don't assume that "my shades" will work when I try a different formulation. But thanks to MAC's return policy I can try a shade/formulation and return it if I'm not in love with it.

dominichulinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey99
Gorgeous pictures... You are so pretty! Your foundation matches perfectly.

Thank you!! <33 oh I wasn't wearing foundation at that time lmao just sunblock, blush, mascara, lippie...I started wearing foundation in 2008 NMSF was my first love than moved on to the real stuff...I believe there in that picture I look like a NC 45 since Im a few shades darker than my natural color..because they always match me to nc 45.

K_ashanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
Girl that haircolor was meant for you!! it looks great!!!

thanks i never had a color like this i thought it was time for some new

NLoveW630

How funny, I was sharing this info with several women friends of mines.
I think that Mac and other makeup compaines need to widen their range of colors for WOC. I've been to the MAC counters and they will give sisters colors that do not even match their true skin tones..I'm a NW43 and I've been given NC43 or NW50, also NW45..this is why I use either Nars or Bobby Brown..to match me up..I've become a Mixtress when it comes to the proper foundations for my clients...

PrincessZmunda

Wow this thread is so on time!

I have been racking my head about this for months and couldn't understand what I was missing.

NC45 looks extra orangey on me and for so long I thought I was doomed to it.

I usually don't wear much more than powder but have been on a quest to find something right.

So after harassing many a MAC MUA that I have I was matched wrong. I finally tried NC44 in the SPF Select Tint and it was perfect! Not sure in other foundations if this will remain but if its not broken might as well leave it be.

I also bought some MUFE HD in 173 and that heaven as (but due to price I'm gonna have to save this for special occasions), but I love it.

Thanks for this ladies.....now i don't feel so crazy!

marikat

I totally relate to this thread b/c I always get matched to NC45 no matter what. I tan really easily so in the depths of summer I am close to NC45 but it still not right b/c it's too orange. Without a tan I'm NC42 and I matched myself with that since the MA's practically refused to try it on me.

Since I went on vacation in dec I'm kinda tan but not NC45 so what I do is mix NC45 and NC42 select cover up to color match concealer for the spots, and then just do a light dusting of Lily lolo Saffron powder. Also, Neutrogena has a foundation called golden almond that is pretty close match in between NC42/NC45 hope that helps someone.

dominichulinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by marikat
I totally relate to this thread b/c I always get matched to NC45 no matter what. I tan really easily so in the depths of summer I am close to NC45 but it still not right b/c it's too orange. Without a tan I'm NC42 and I matched myself with that since the MA's practically refused to try it on me.

Since I went on vacation in dec I'm kinda tan but not NC45 so what I do is mix NC45 and NC42 select cover up to color match concealer for the spots, and then just do a light dusting of Lily lolo Saffron powder. Also, Neutrogena has a foundation called golden almond that is pretty close match in between NC42/NC45 hope that helps someone.

Thanks for the tip!! <33

dominichulinda

NF.jpg

I had purchase that same color you mentioned! <33 in Sept. when I had my tan from the summer..can't remember the coverage..will def. rebuy this summer(i have to toss this out right now lol)...to give it another try.

nf2.jpg

F.A.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith130
ahhhh I cant believe someone finally made a thread about this!!!! I always had problems with mac foundations for years cause i was too dark for nc45 and nc50 looked dirty on me. as soon as i walked up to every counter i have ever been to (prob 20+, i moved a lot) they say im nc45 and then when I have it on they get confused like, "why doesnt this match?" Then I would get told bout nc 45 and 50 to get my color. like im some kind of new fool. y should I have to mix foundations at mac no less???

Finally last yr I was at the cco at all places and saw a bottle of nw43. it was like love at first sight. i saw my exact skincolor thru that bottle. pumped some , applied it and it was perfect! I just think its funny how NO MAC MUA ever got my color right. I went to buy some studio scuplt a few weeks ago and the girl was insistent i get nc50 after i told her nw43. i patronized her and when it looked terrible and put on the right color, the one i wanted from jump she didnt saw anything.

on another note a lot mua have predetermined shades for foundation to l/s for everyone. this lady I worked with would use the same colors no matter what for every white, black hispanic, etc (she used dif ones for everyone).
when a "quagmire" that didnt fit the a common tone/races (a lighter skinned black person or a tanner asian person) would walk up she would ask me to do the makeover.

and does anyone know how to change a sig cause mine need a update! lol

I can't wait to go by MAC and try a NW shade. Maybe that'll work for me where I don't have to mix two shades.

crystrill

I've been given NC 50/55 and NW 43. My NW 43 looks a tad dark, but there is NO WAY I am any lighter than that. In MUFE HD I wear 175 and it matches me perfect. This thread is making me paranoid. I'm going to get rematched next time I go to MAC. The last time I went and tried their new foundation the MA put NW 45 on me which was WAYYYY too dark. I knew he knew it too because you saw the look on his face and he asked what did I think LMAO. So I pointed to NC 50 and said "that's what they usually give me." Tried it on and it blended in. Needless to say I didn't buy it. I'm going to go in on another day and get matched. The MA who matched me was new and OBVIOUSLY nervous when helping me.

K_ashanti

my sister called me the other day she had when to the MAC stand and the gave her NC 45, but my sister has that really red undertones in her skin so it really orange on her i told her to take it back and try NW43, i wonder if their are more in NC 45's who are really nw 43, like i said i rarely hear anyone say they wear this color

Latest posts