NYX Products

Shawna

I broke down and bought ocean e/s and seafoam green e/l yesterday. The shadow is amazing for $5. It is soft and blendable and has great colour payoff. It is not exactly parrot, but it is really close. Parrot is just more intense in tealness (does that make sense?) The eyeliners are hard and pulled at my eye, but once I got it on, it stayed put and the colour was really pretty. I think ocean e/s would be a good close match to any of you who want parrot and don't have it, and I honestly think it is more wearable
smiles.gif

user4

i want i want i want..... god i wish i could find it here in nyc... but if not i'm gonna have to take ur words for it and just order me some online. i was looking at the stuff online and its cheap cheap cheap!!! and they have SOOO many colors!!!

roxybc

I love NYX stuff. I started using it about a year ago now. Shawna, did you buy your NYX stuff at Save-On Foods? That's the only place in Vic that I saw it. I did notice that the Shoppers Drug Mart here in PG started carrying a small selection of their eye shadows a week or so ago.

Ocean was the first NYX shadow that I got, and I love it. I also have a really nice dark grey from the, great for a smokey eye, and VERY pigmented!

Question though. Is this the new packaging or something? I've never seen their eye shadows in round form before, only the square pots. I actually really like the squares. I hope they don't change them all to round.

NYCGoldenPinkpearl.jpg

I also have a lot of their nail polishes. They don't have a great color range in the polishes, but the ones I have from them, I really like! I've got a few great coral polish shades by NYX.

hypodermic

Quote:
Originally Posted by michy_mimi
I finally found a store that carries NYX here in Minneapolis. I can't wait to go! They seem to have a pretty decent color selection.
smiles.gif

Ooh!! Where where! Please tell me!

Shawna

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybc
I love NYX stuff. I started using it about a year ago now. Shawna, did you buy your NYX stuff at Save-On Foods? That's the only place in Vic that I saw it. I did notice that the Shoppers Drug Mart here in PG started carrying a small selection of their eye shadows a week or so ago.

Yup, I get mine at Save On Foods. They are having a 20% off sale this week starting sunday march 5th. I'm gonna go and stock up
smiles.gif
Plus they are carrying these loose eyeshadows from Splash cosmetics and I really like those too. They are just as pigmented as mac but they are an ultra-fine texture. They are definitely worth the $5.

whosheis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxychika1014
i want i want i want..... god i wish i could find it here in nyc... but if not i'm gonna have to take ur words for it and just order me some online. i was looking at the stuff online and its cheap cheap cheap!!! and they have SOOO many colors!!!

32nd street between 6th and 7th ave (closer to 7th) there is a wig store that sells some NYX.

If you wanna sorta hike to Queens, in Queens Center Mall theres an accessory store that has it in the back.

Also one near my train station at John's Drug Store at the 179th st F train stop.

Rowan

I love NYX too. I haven't been able to find them in my city, but I've found places that do when I go out of town. The glosses and shadows are v. good quality. My fave shadows are Green Tea & Root Beer. Hot colors!

tiff

Just found this article published in Sept 2005

Working at her parents' San Fernando Valley fragrance and cosmetics shop in her teens, it always bothered Toni Ko that inexpensive lipsticks, blushes and eye shadows looked as cheap as they cost.

So, when the 32-year-old started producing make-up for her own company, NYX Los Angeles Inc., six years ago, she had a clear idea of what she didn't want to sell: kitschy cosmetics products with screaming logos. Instead, Ko boxed her make-up in black and kept the labels to a minimum, with the brand name, NYX, scribed in basic white and black lettering.

"It is all about the design. It is all about the packaging," she said. "I had to be a manufacturer to deliver the quality I wanted."

Despite the stylish packaging, Ko kept her product prices between $2 and $6. She believed that price-conscious consumers would reject poorly packaged products if given the option to buy items in high-quality packages.

The approach has worked. Ko estimates that NYX will generate $12 million in revenue this year. And she's yet to see the results of a $1 million advertising campaign she recently started in several magazines aimed at Hispanics.

Now, Ko faces the challenge of expanding her distribution and getting her products to mass-market consumers. She's betting drugstores and supermarkets will agree that her products' distinctive look separates them from the pack.

But it's tough going for a new offering to squeeze into mass venues. Major cosmetic companies such as L'Oreal SA, Revlon Inc. and the Procter & Gamble Co. control 80 percent of the mass market and take up most of the shelf space.

Newer brands typically target department stores and upper tier make-up shops like Sephora, owned by LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA. At the higher price points, stores are more willing to experiment with brands.

Lower-price retailers tend to bank on proven performers.

"Basically, the supermarkets are saturated with some of the bigger players," said Jose Tovar, managing editor for the global new products database at Mintel International Group Ltd.

Ko, who immigrated to Southern California from Korea at 13, is used to resistance. When she started NYX at 26, she said people didn't give the company a chance.

"They didn't take me seriously because I am female and I am a minority and I am young," she said.

Still, Ko had confidence in her product. She invested $250,000 she said she saved working at her parents' store and rented a 600-square-foot space at the California Market Center to establish NYX.

She designed the sleek packaging without the extensive consumer research of a major brand. Instead, she tested the products out on her friends and family, whose approval she took as a sign that the products would sell.

And to get sales off the ground, Ko tapped into Korean-owned wholesalers in downtown L.A. to distribute her product. Although she wants to sell her product to all ethnicities, her ability to speak Korean gave her entree into the Korean community and to small Korean-owned shops.

At first, she specialized in eye pencils, manufactured in France. The product gave her a staple that could be produced relatively cheaply (products like foundations that need to be formulated for individuals are more expensive). She expanded to add lipsticks, lip glosses and eye shadows, but the eye pencil remains a core item. She manufactures most products in China and Korea to keep costs down.

In the first year, Ko said she generated $3 million in sales, covering her initial investment and more. She plowed the profits back into her company. "Every single dime, I put back into my business. I just took $5 a day for lunch," she said.

Last year, Ko moved the company into a 76,000 square-foot facility in the City of Commerce, where she has enough room for expansion.

She got a big boost about four years ago when a manager at Walnut Creek-based Longs Drug Stores Corp. called her. The manager was approached by a customer who asked for NYX and was interested in getting the products in the store.

Unlike drugstore chains that centralize buying, Longs allows store managers to make stocking choices. That helped NYX get into Longs, and the company is now distributing products to 200 Longs stores.

Since then, NYX also has expanded geographically with distribution deals in Australia, Mexico, Japan and England. Ko estimates that NYX's current distribution is 30 percent international, 10 percent mass-market U.S. chain stores, and 60 percent small domestic shops.

But Ko has bigger goals. Among drugstore chains, she thinks Deerfield, Ill.-based Walgreen Co. would be a great outlet for her product. "I like their cosmetics department. It is very well organized," she said.

Ko said she would eventually like to see NYX swallowed by a larger company.

"I want this to live on for a long time," she said. "For a brand to survive that long, it has to be managed by a corporation."

COPYRIGHT 2005 CBJ, L.P.
COPYRIGHT 2005 Gale Group

Source http://www.looksmartstocks.com/p/art...75600#continue

canadiangirl_1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
Yup, I get mine at Save On Foods. They are having a 20% off sale this week starting sunday march 5th.

Sweet!! I'll have to go check it out for sure and nab me a few new shades
greengrin.gif
I
eyelove.gif
Save On!

banana

I saw some NYX shadows today at my local shoppers drug mart. Not a lot of shades though, maybe 12 in total.

dragueur

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana
I saw some NYX shadows today at my local shoppers drug mart. Not a lot of shades though, maybe 12 in total.

are you sure they have? maybe it's NYC? coz i checkd out their website and i didnt see NYX ...wanted to try some...
ssad.gif

roxybc

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragueur
are you sure they have? maybe it's NYC? coz i checkd out their website and i didnt see NYX ...wanted to try some...
ssad.gif

Yup, I posted on pg. 2 that I saw them at Shoppers. And yeah, there are only a few shades, maybe 12 of them like Banana said. They are displayed near the front till of my Shoppers in a little plastic NYX stand.

Draguer, do you live in the Philippines or Canada? Do they have Shoppers in the Philippines? If they do, their product would be differerent than the Canadian stores. If your just looking on the Shoppers webstie, I probably wouldn't expect to find it on there. NYX is a newer product to Shoppers, and not all of Shoppers inventory is put on their website.

Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragueur
ssad.gif

Yeah some shoppers carry NYX now, I went to scope out what I could find but there were only two shades in stock out of the 12.
Some guy working there told me it would expand.

tiff

That would be easy to miss, not a great selection of colours, cant wait till mine arrives.

shadowprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow
Yeah some shoppers carry NYX now, I went to scope out what I could find but there were only two shades in stock out of the 12.
Some guy working there told me it would expand.

ooooo.. its going to expand? hoorays!!! i got 5 shadows so far from this tiny stand.. loving them a lot! cant wait to get my hands on more!

rustkiwicool.jpg

rustkiwicool2.jpg

purpletropical.jpg

purpletropical2.jpg

mouthygirl95820

i have nyx and i love it.i have the loose powders because thats all my beauty hair store has really some i have a few of their pencils.the products very good it gose on well.i get mines for 1.99 cant beat that.i want a pallet though but they dont have any at my beauty place.and i dont wanna buy online cause i have no credit card.so ill stick to the loose stuff

pugmommy7

what are the nyx loose shadows like? i have been tempted. should i bother?, or just collect more mac piggie samples?

Latest posts