Question for fellow make-up artists

angela

Not sure if this should be posted in Recs but mods- feel free to direct me! What foundation is best to use on all skin types? I've been freelancing on my own for the past 3 years and I've always used Studio tech on my clients because it looks amazing in photos.. but I'm not sure if this is the best to use on every skin type. I wanted to ask the rest of you MAs what foundation do you find works best for everyone? I was thinking of switching to studio fix fluid or studio sticks..

Also I have several weddings coming up and I want to set the foundation with something that makes it water proof. I heard that invisible set powder is best for this... any sugguestions? TIA.

1MaCaDDicT

i also use Tech on everyone, but just recently fell in love with Fix Fluid... as long as its applied with the #187 brush... it really gives the perfect airbrush look

godzillaxahhhhhh

i personally HATE mac foundations, it looks cakey to me and unnatural. Makeup forever is a professional brand, thats why they only have like 6 colors, because since they are made for makeup artist and most artist know how to mix foundations etc. The face and body foundations are water/smudge proff once it sets and it has a very natural finish to it. I used it on my model in the viet expo. It's pricey but its was worth it. You can also use it in an airbrush without dileuting it.

heres a picture of her face with the foundation on it (not photoshopped)
P4021592s.jpg

P4021593s.jpg

i would post pictures of mac foundation on the skin but i dont want to post others people's face on her
ssad.gif

godzillaxahhhhhh

heres another way of saying it

if i see two girls, one wearing a foundation(any brand) and one wearing mac foundation, i can totally tell which one is wearing mac because the look of the foundation. There is so much coverage, and kind of too much, especailly for bridal, because most brides want that natural glowing look. so they look fresh but not like they have 10 layers of makeup on....

im sorry if i offened anyone

its just my honest opinions, bobbi brown also makes good foundations.

angela

omg thank you for the suggestions!! yea i know what you mean.. MAC foundations can look a little heavy.. I've always used MAC but was too scared to try other brands in fear of disappointment. I will definitely check out makeup forever.. they sell it in sephora right? Any tips on how to mix foundations? How long do they usually last you?

angela

oh and which shades do you mix and find that you use the most?- they have like 10 shades online all out of stock btw!
ssad.gif

godzillaxahhhhhh

um depends on thier undertones and which types of people are you doing, most people are olive and yellow, but in some cases, they are peach golden or pink. Most asians are yellow or olive.

P12635_hero.jpg

thats how it looks like

those colors you should get
Soft Beige 1
Yellow 18
Beige 6
Ivory 20
Ebony 30

just mix it on a mixing palette. The good thing about this product is that it is the only silicon based foundation. The only brand that makes one. So it looks great against the skin! And it is photofriendly

just go to a sephoria that carries it, becasue some doesnt if it a small one. Ask for a sample, and try it out. Try a sample of bobbi browns also, and see how you like it

usally at the sephorias they have the foundations in stock

and their eyeshadows are higher in pigment than mac's but it is sooo expensive

angela

thanks soo much. you've been extremely helpful! i can't wait to test this stuff out on myself and others! my brides are going to love me thanks to you
winks.gif

lara

I second Makeup Forever. Great products. For the body I use a generic F&B liquid, but for the face I use quite heavy hard cream foundation (total coverage, like television foundation) and work it down with moisturiser or a mixing fluid (depending on the clients skin) until I acheive the right coverage and a custom colour, then add in whatever I need to make it dewy/velvet/ultre-matte/candlelight/etc finish.

It's a longer way of doing it, but on the other hand, I've built a rep for doing great tailored foundation that works in photographs and looks great in person. The extra effort is worth it, especially because you can really accurately colour-match skin.

Sushi_Flower

Lara and Godzilla - you two seem the best people to ask this - how do go about mixing foundation shades to make the perfec match for different people? I know it must be hard to explain but any rough tips, directions and advice are appreciated!

user3

I also agree about MUFE for waterproof.
BTW you can go to their website for better color swatches and order (phone) directly from them.

Beautiful1

I Am Eagerly Awaiting A Reply For This Thread Because I Was Thinking About Foundations. I Am Rebuilding My Kit So I Want To Know And Also Mixing And Matching Foundations Too!
wavey.gif

Branwyne

Wait, since when does MUFE only have 6 colors? Their website advertises 12, and I KNOW I have at least 10 of them in my kit. #18 is one of the best mixers, great for any olive tone and wonderful for creating a tan. To mix the best shade for your client, first determine their undertones- yellow/olive or pink select the closest match in your kit-most times you will not have a perfect match, though the MUFE face and body is sheer to buildable coverage-determine whether you need to darken or lighten your initial color selection then choose another shade in accordance with shade and undertone. NEVER mix an olive/yellow with a pink, the skin will end up looking grey and dead. HTH
By the by, MUFE has the best foundations, are completely photo friendly, wonderful when used in an airbrush, and are comfortable on the skin-my male clients love it.
Branwyne

Beautiful1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branwyne
Wait, since when does MUFE only have 6 colors? Their website advertises 12, and I KNOW I have at least 10 of them in my kit. #18 is one of the best mixers, great for any olive tone and wonderful for creating a tan. To mix the best shade for your client, first determine their undertones- yellow/olive or pink select the closest match in your kit-most times you will not have a perfect match, though the MUFE face and body is sheer to buildable coverage-determine whether you need to darken or lighten your initial color selection then choose another shade in accordance with shade and undertone. NEVER mix an olive/yellow with a pink, the skin will end up looking grey and dead. HTH
By the by, MUFE has the best foundations, are completely photo friendly, wonderful when used in an airbrush, and are comfortable on the skin-my male clients love it.
Branwyne

I Don't Think She Meant That Maybe Those Are The Only Six Colors That She Uses In Her Kit
smiles.gif
. Thanks Girlie For Your Feedback
smiles.gif
So This Will Be Good For Darker Skin Tones As Well (African Americans) Without Looking Ashy And Oily? I Don't Only Plan On Making up African Americans But Lighter Skin Tones As Well
wavey.gif

Branwyne

MUFE is great for everyone! Just remember that though their undertones are sometimes harder to decipher, it is still extremely important to determine when choosing the colors. 10, 12, 14, and 16 are some of their darker colors, though there might be a couple more that I don't have-yet- and I have found them to work wonderfully on ALL ethnic skin. If you worry about shine, you can always prime with an oil-free moisturizer then MUFE's Stop Shining, but once you top it all off with their powder, you'll be good to go. I always find it funny on set when they call for "final looks" and I rarely have to do anything, since MUFE sets and lasts soooo well. And once you use it in an airbrush, girl, you'll be amazed!
You can visit the website and call for an order, though I believe there's a boutique in New York, the only one in the US. I like to go to Frends in LA, they've finally added so much more to their inventory and I get my artist discount. Sephora will never honor an artist discount and they are always out of stock on just about everything MUFE.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi_Flower
Lara and Godzilla - you two seem the best people to ask this - how do go about mixing foundation shades to make the perfec match for different people? I know it must be hard to explain but any rough tips, directions and advice are appreciated!

Work out the client's skin undertone - yellow, pink, or both (the last is most common), then mix various shades of product on a palette until you acheive the right colour. I usually end up using 2 parts yellow to one part pink. At first it used to be really slow because I had to colour-match it against skin, but now I can just eyeball it and be spot-on 95% of the time.
smiles.gif

Sorry, that's the worst explaination ever! Just smoosh up your foundation shades until you create one that exactly suits the skin colour you're applying it to, and don't be afraid to mix yellow and pink together. Practice, practice, practice!

martygreene

How true are the swatches on the MUFE site? I've long considered using their foundations, but many of my clients are extremely fair skinned with yellow undertones, like me, and it's hard to tell if their foundations will work for us. Would you say the lighter tones (Ivory, Porcelain) are similar to the 15 shades in MAC, or lighter? Lighter would be ideal, but I've learned this is incredibly difficult to come by.

brandiisamonkey

So its ok to mix yellow and pink undertones? I dont have any exp in that.. I usually just use the pre mixed stuff like MAC has lol... Lara what colors would you reccomend to have to creat the widest range of colors from... like which are the ones that you use the most to create colors?

Also Someone said something about a pro discount... do they have a process simular to MAC's or how does their program work?

I appreciate it!

mae13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandiisamonkey
Also Someone said something about a pro discount... do they have a process simular to MAC's or how does their program work?

I'm not sure if this is the same in the States, but this page gives you the info for what you need to qualify for a pro discount in Canada.

http://www.mufecanada.com/ProCrdApp.html