Question for fellow make-up artists

mae13

I just dropped by my local Make Up For Ever counter and tried out the foundation.

Texture-wise, I was incredibly impressed. It's very light and 'slippy' and dries to a soft and undetectable finish that feels like skin, not goo or powder.

The colors are good too (they look alarmingly peach/pink in the bottles but go on neutral). I just can't remember now which one I used for myself! Darn it.

The coverage is pretty sheer, but the MA said you can layer it for extra coverage and it's not too matte and not so dewy that it would be a problem for oily skin.

The scent is a little strange, not perfumy or gross, but almost like...well, gesso? It's not completely unpleasant, just a little odd. It does fade.

The price is a little steep (39$ CAD) but comparable to my Bobbi Brown foundation and the bottle seems bigger.

amandamakeup

mae13 said:
I'm not sure if this is the same in the States, but this page gives you the info for what you need to qualify for a pro discount in Canada.

To get mine, (Im Canadian by the way) I faxed in my business card, and a copy of my make up artist certificate. You get a card like Mac, but you only get 20% off.

mae13

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandamakeup
To get mine, (Im Canadian by the way) I faxed in my business card, and a copy of my make up artist certificate. You get a card like Mac, but you only get 20% off.

Hmm...according to the site makeup artists get 35% off.

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzillaxahhhhhh
i personally HATE mac foundations, it looks cakey to me and unnatural. Makeup forever is a professional brand, thats why they only have like 6 colors, because since they are made for makeup artist and most artist know how to mix foundations etc. The face and body foundations are water/smudge proff once it sets and it has a very natural finish to it. I used it on my model in the viet expo. It's pricey but its was worth it. You can also use it in an airbrush without dileuting it.

heres a picture of her face with the foundation on it (not photoshopped)
P4021592s.jpg

P4021593s.jpg

i would post pictures of mac foundation on the skin but i dont want to post others people's face on her
ssad.gif

I also use Make Up For Ever foundations...they just go on better and last longer than MAC (although SFF is pretty good)...the Face & Body foundation lasts forever and is self-setting (no powder needed)...

amandamakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae13
Hmm...according to the site makeup artists get 35% off.

then I think I got screwed.. the back of my card only says 20% discount! I just looked at their website, and I am not a student.. Why do I have the student rate??
Whatever! I never use the card anyways!

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandiisamonkey
So its ok to mix yellow and pink undertones? I dont have any exp in that.. I usually just use the pre mixed stuff like MAC has lol... Lara what colors would you reccomend to have to creat the widest range of colors from... like which are the ones that you use the most to create colors?

Of course it's ok! Some skins are more predominatly one tone or another (Asian skin typically has a very yellow undertone, whereas Scandinavian skin might be more strikingly pink), but no one is totally yellow or totally pink.

Pre-mixed foundations like from MAC are great - the tinting (how dark or light it is) is done for you, all you have to do is work out the ratios of pink to yellow you need to make them exactly right on your skin. Lots of people complain about MAC running too yellow/orange or pink, that's because it's a hangover of the days when they used to target pro artists instead of consumers - by running either very pink or very yellow, they could be mixed together to create perfect foundation shades.
smiles.gif
I think that will change soon, though. Probably within the next couple of years, the foundations will be retooled and the undertones softened right down.
smiles.gif

A basic set would be six basic foundation shades - ivory pink, ivory yellow. Mid-beige pink, mid-beige yellow. Tan pink, tan yellow. If you work a lot on dark skin, increase that to eight - add in deep brown pink and deep brown yellow, and maybe a blue-based charcoal brown if you found yourself doing make-up on Alec Wek.

(hahaha, I'm such a Hermione today!
lol.gif
)

martygreene

If you do work on african skintones, I'd increase the deep brown range to include a purple base, as many of the very dark brown skintones which are common in kenya and nigeria (and folk who have heritage from these areas) tend to have more of a purple base than yellow or pink.

Beautiful1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branwyne
MUFE is great for everyone! Just remember that though their undertones are sometimes harder to decipher, it is still extremely important to determine when choosing the colors. 10, 12, 14, and 16 are some of their darker colors, though there might be a couple more that I don't have-yet- and I have found them to work wonderfully on ALL ethnic skin. If you worry about shine, you can always prime with an oil-free moisturizer then MUFE's Stop Shining, but once you top it all off with their powder, you'll be good to go. I always find it funny on set when they call for "final looks" and I rarely have to do anything, since MUFE sets and lasts soooo well. And once you use it in an airbrush, girl, you'll be amazed!
You can visit the website and call for an order, though I believe there's a boutique in New York, the only one in the US. I like to go to Frends in LA, they've finally added so much more to their inventory and I get my artist discount. Sephora will never honor an artist discount and they are always out of stock on just about everything MUFE.

Thank You So Much Girly I Really Appreciate You Taking The Time Out To Answer My Question!
wavey.gif
Yes You Are Right MUFE Has A Store Right In Soho New York Which I Love That Area By The Way. I Will Definitely Go In And Begin To Just Build My Foundations For My Kit. Well You Have Definitely Sold Me On Their Foundations! Again Many Thanks For All Of Your Help!
smiles.gif

Beautiful1

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene
If you do work on african skintones, I'd increase the deep brown range to include a purple base, as many of the very dark brown skintones which are common in kenya and nigeria (and folk who have heritage from these areas) tend to have more of a purple base than yellow or pink.

You Are Absolutely Correct I Forgot About That The Darker Based Foundations! Thanks For Reminding Me Girly!
wavey.gif

Beautiful1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Of course it's ok! Some skins are more predominatly one tone or another (Asian skin typically has a very yellow undertone, whereas Scandinavian skin might be more strikingly pink), but no one is totally yellow or totally pink.

Pre-mixed foundations like from MAC are great - the tinting (how dark or light it is) is done for you, all you have to do is work out the ratios of pink to yellow you need to make them exactly right on your skin. Lots of people complain about MAC running too yellow/orange or pink, that's because it's a hangover of the days when they used to target pro artists instead of consumers - by running either very pink or very yellow, they could be mixed together to create perfect foundation shades.
smiles.gif
I think that will change soon, though. Probably within the next couple of years, the foundations will be retooled and the undertones softened right down.
smiles.gif

A basic set would be six basic foundation shades - ivory pink, ivory yellow. Mid-beige pink, mid-beige yellow. Tan pink, tan yellow. If you work a lot on dark skin, increase that to eight - add in deep brown pink and deep brown yellow, and maybe a blue-based charcoal brown if you found yourself doing make-up on Alec Wek.

(hahaha, I'm such a Hermione today!
lol.gif
)

Yes I Have A Few Friends Who Skin Tone Is Of Alek Wek (Whom I Believe Has Such Amazing Skin). I Know Exactly What You Are Saying About MAC I Think That Is The Part That People Don't Remember Is That It Was Originally Made For MAs And Not Your Average Consumer. But I Am Completely Sold On MUFE So I Will Be Buying Their Foundations For My Kit!
smiles.gif

mae13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
I second Makeup Forever. Great products. For the body I use a generic F&B liquid, but for the face I use quite heavy hard cream foundation (total coverage, like television foundation) and work it down with moisturiser or a mixing fluid (depending on the clients skin) until I acheive the right coverage and a custom colour, then add in whatever I need to make it dewy/velvet/ultre-matte/candlelight/etc finish.

May I ask...what brand of cream foundation do you use?

I've seen Mehron Celebre recommended, but other than that I'm not too sure what would be good.

Beautiful1

I Have Another Question How Mixable Are The Color Correctors With MUFE? The Reason That I Am Asking Is Because With The Darker Skin Clients (Nigeria, Haiti etc). I Would Need To Mix In A Purple (Not Violet) Corrector? And For Others A Dark Blue Corrector? Thanks
wavey.gif

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene
How true are the swatches on the MUFE site? I've long considered using their foundations, but many of my clients are extremely fair skinned with yellow undertones, like me, and it's hard to tell if their foundations will work for us. Would you say the lighter tones (Ivory, Porcelain) are similar to the 15 shades in MAC, or lighter? Lighter would be ideal, but I've learned this is incredibly difficult to come by.

MG they are pretty darn close. As for the lighter tones...I would say #1 is lighter than MAC 15 but not by much.

many apologies to angela
as I am not trying to hijack her thread...promise!

angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Nessa
MG they are pretty darn close. As for the lighter tones...I would say #1 is lighter than MAC 15 but not by much.

many apologies to angela
as I am not trying to hijack her thread...promise!

haha NO of course you're not! all of this info is useful to me and everyone else.. thank you all for your input and keep them coming!

jeanna

Angela - I was at Sephora training yesterday and Makeup Forever did their presentation.... and I have to say that I'm switching to their Face & Body foundation for all my clients! Even for myself. I fell in love with it. The guy who presented it worked for MAC for 6 years before working for MUFE and he is in LOVE with the products, esp. Face & Body. He was wearing it himself, and I swear it looked like skin.

He did warn us though that the foundation gets slightly darker when it's dried on the face.

Femme Noir

I've used Studio Fix Fluid on everyone and everyone loves it. I don't think it's too heavy at all. It's a clean mattifying foundation.

angela

thanks jeanna! geez hook it up with a discount on mufe! haha j/k.. what shade are you in face and body?? do you have to mix foundations to get the perfect match for your skin?? let me know coz i think you and I have similar coloring
winks.gif
Go pinays! hehe
greengrin.gif

angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femme Noir
I've used Studio Fix Fluid on everyone and everyone loves it. I don't think it's too heavy at all. It's a clean mattifying foundation.

yes, im in love with fix fluid too! but if mufe face and body can do better, i'll be switching.. but ouch! $37!!??

jeanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela
thanks jeanna! geez hook it up with a discount on mufe! haha j/k.. what shade are you in face and body?? do you have to mix foundations to get the perfect match for your skin?? let me know coz i think you and I have similar coloring
winks.gif
Go pinays! hehe
greengrin.gif

I have no idea what shade I am. I was so excited to try it that I wasn't even going to wait for my Sephora to open. I've only seen MUFE at Sears counters in Canada, so I went in today to see if I could try a sample (since I'm so sensitive/acne-prone). The girl who worked at the counter was gone so some girl from Clarins had to help me. She said that MUFE doesn't give samples??! WTF?? Anyway, I told her I'd just wait for the REAL MUFE person to come in the next day. But while I was there, I was testing on my chin and I *think* that No. 3-Natural Beige was a good match but I want to get the girl's professional opinion before I buy. (I'm closer to NC30 than I am to NC35... My perfect match is MAC's Studio Tech in NC32.)

I hope this doesn't break me out though. I'm so weary of trying new foundations because my skin just doesn't cooperate with 99% of them.

angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanna
I have no idea what shade I am. I was so excited to try it that I wasn't even going to wait for my Sephora to open. I've only seen MUFE at Sears counters in Canada, so I went in today to see if I could try a sample (since I'm so sensitive/acne-prone). The girl who worked at the counter was gone so some girl from Clarins had to help me. She said that MUFE doesn't give samples??! WTF?? Anyway, I told her I'd just wait for the REAL MUFE person to come in the next day. But while I was there, I was testing on my chin and I *think* that No. 3-Natural Beige was a good match but I want to get the girl's professional opinion before I buy. (I'm closer to NC30 than I am to NC35... My perfect match is MAC's Studio Tech in NC32.)

I hope this doesn't break me out though. I'm so weary of trying new foundations because my skin just doesn't cooperate with 99% of them.

goodluck finding ur match! keep me posted.. im heading down to sephora tomorrow and I'll be trying them out for myself too.