Recipes from your culture

MisaMayah

Im on my way to being a master-chef =) Well at home anyway,lol.

Up until last year I burnt everything I attempted to cook or my cooking just did not look appetising, more like sewage. eeek! When my boyf proposed to me last year I knew I HAD to learn to cook, I did not want to be feeding him microwave meals and freezer food for the rest of his life,lol. I have made a huge improvement *practice practice practice*

So far i've perfected making Thai green curry, Burritos & Sweet and sour. I want to learn how to cook a wide range of food from different cultures. It doesn't have to be your own but it has to be YUMMY food =) even starters & desserts! I do look on the net for recipes but i d like to get ideas off you guys too!!

Ps. If anyone knows how to make churros pls tell!LOL

Hilly

I make "chocolate chicken and white rice" it even has a song!!

It's basically Mole Chicken. I get chicken (usually boneless chicken breasts) along with a jar of mole sauce and put it all in one put with 3 cups of water and let it simmer for 2 hours? Make white rice and tortillas and enjoy.

Here is the song.
Chocolate Chicken and white rice,
It's very nice
it's got lots of spice,
you can eat it twice
Chocolate Chicken and white rice

MisaMayah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
I make "chocolate chicken and white rice" it even has a song!!

It's basically Mole Chicken. I get chicken (usually boneless chicken breasts) along with a jar of mole sauce and put it all in one put with 3 cups of water and let it simmer for 2 hours? Make white rice and tortillas and enjoy.

Here is the song.
Chocolate Chicken and white rice,
It's very nice
it's got lots of spice,
you can eat it twice
Chocolate Chicken and white rice

wow that sounds interesting! and a song!? lol
winks.gif
i don't think we have mole sauce here in the UK. What is it made of?

xoleaxo

i'm filipino & we have spectacular food
smiles.gif

this dish called Turon is really easy & yummy.

ingredients:
--ripe bananas (split lengthwise)
--sugar (optional)
--lumpia wrappers
**these are like egg roll wrappers. you can find them frozen in the asian foods section.
--vegetable oil

all you do is wrap one half of a banana in the lumpia wrapper. i put the wrapper in front of me in a diamond shape and put the banana horizontally at the bottom of the diamond. you can sprinkle with sugar if your bananas arent sweet enough. then roll it up once, fold both sides in, and roll the rest. from here you can freeze them and keep them until you wanna cook them, or fry them in vegetable oil.

there's also a meat version called Lumpia. same method, just use sauteed seasoned ground beef or pork, cabbage, carrots, and celery (or whatever julienned vegetables you prefer) instead of bananas.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoleaxo
smiles.gif

ingredients:
--sugar (optional)
--lumpia wrappers
**these are like egg roll wrappers. you can find them frozen in the asian foods section.
--vegetable oil

all you do is wrap one half of a banana in the lumpia wrapper. i put the wrapper in front of me in a diamond shape and put the banana horizontally at the bottom of the diamond. you can sprinkle with sugar if your bananas arent sweet enough. then roll it up once, fold both sides in, and roll the rest. from here you can freeze them and keep them until you wanna cook them, or fry them in vegetable oil.

there's also a meat version called Lumpia. same method, just use sauteed seasoned ground beef or pork, cabbage, carrots, and celery (or whatever julienned vegetables you prefer) instead of bananas.

That sounds so yummy! I might try it with Nutella!
drools.gif

S.S.BlackOrchid

I'm from India. I reaallly love biryani. Here's a recipe for chicken biryani.

1/4 cup ghee (clarified butter)
5 whole cloves
5 whole cardamom pods
5 bay leaves
1 medium onion, chopped
5 small green chile peppers
2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
1 teaspoon salt
6 fresh curry leaves (optional)
3 cups uncooked jasmine or white rice
4 1/8 cups water
1 sprig cilantro leaves with stems

Soak rice for 30 minutes in enough water to cover; then drain. Meanwhile, heat ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in cloves, cardamom, and bay leaves. Then stir in onion, and cook until soft, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in chile peppers and ginger paste. Stir in yogurt, salt, and curry, and then place chicken in pan. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally and turning the chicken pieces, until only about 1 cup of liquid remains. Mix in rice, water, and cilantro. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Check rice after about 12 minutes; if it is dry, add 1/2 cup water, and continue cooking.

There are also specific dishes from Kerala, India (where I'm from), but I'm trying to learn more of them from my Mom and aunts. I really want to learn how to make appam (fluffy rice pancakes that you eat with chicken or egg curry).

Sanayhs

This thread is a neat idea.

An Atlantic Canada dish that's really easy is Hodge Podge.

It's typically made when you can get all the veggies fresh from the garden. I forget what county in New Brunswick it originated in... Anyhow.

Boil potatoes, green beans, yellow beans, peas and carrots (and turnip if you choose). Drain most of the water. Add a litre of cream blend and a quarter pound of butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.

It is SO MUCH BETTER the second day. It's also wonderful to have fresh bread with it.

On another note, me being a super pale white girl in Nova Scotia, I half live off of Ethiopian food.
greengrin.gif
It's wonderful stuff. Healthy, delicious and hands on!

MisaMayah

Quote:
smiles.gif

ingredients:
--sugar (optional)
--lumpia wrappers
--vegetable oil

OMg I love these, i haven't had them in so so long!! I'm Filipino too =) I'm gonna make them asap YUMMMMMMMMM

MisaMayah

Guys im getting so hungry just reading your recipes =)

S.S.Blackorchid - i love me some indian food!! My fiance is Persian (Parsi) but they're culture is Indian and his Mom makes fab food. And guess what Biriyani is one of my favourite dishes. But it looks so complicated to cook =) I will definitely try it out. One thing I noticed watching his Mom cook is all the lengthy preparation that goes into it.
Do you have a recipe for daal and any curry dish please???
winks.gif

Sanayhs - mmm I love veggies ;P sounds great and easy too! What kind of food do Ethiopians eat? I've never tried their food before.

Thank you guys..keep em'comin!!!!!!!
*muah*

Corvs Queen

Quote:
smiles.gif

Yes indeed you do. My Aunt is Filipino and she got me hooked on Pangsinigang Sa Sampalok, or "Sour Soup" as I like to call it. I also love the rolls filled with the sweet pork. Don't know what those are called but they are sooooo good. I also love that her house always smells like fresh rice. Nice and clean.
smiles.gif

kaliraksha

Ohh, I want to put my vote in for anyone who has a good recipe for curry, butter chicken or saag paneer. Yum!

Shimmer

get a big honkin' piece of meat. Preferably lean Black Angus, fresh cut.

Take a bit of Worcestershire Sauce and splash it all over it, then cover in a steak rub. Let it marinate in a ziploc bag while you fire the grill.

Fire the grill.

Throw the meat on, turn it after 3 minutes, cooking for a total of six minutes.

use a sharp knife and half a roll of paper towels and eat it. As a side I generally threaten anyone trying to grab my steak with immediate stabbing in the hand.

Melly44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanayhs
This thread is a neat idea.

An Atlantic Canada dish that's really easy is Hodge Podge.

It's typically made when you can get all the veggies fresh from the garden. I forget what county in New Brunswick it originated in... Anyhow.

Boil potatoes, green beans, yellow beans, peas and carrots (and turnip if you choose). Drain most of the water. Add a litre of cream blend and a quarter pound of butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.

It is SO MUCH BETTER the second day. It's also wonderful to have fresh bread with it.

On another note, me being a super pale white girl in Nova Scotia, I half live off of Ethiopian food.
greengrin.gif
It's wonderful stuff. Healthy, delicious and hands on!

Yaye!! i thought i was the only east coaster from canada here!! im in new brunswick!

Ive actually never tried that though haha how weird!

Sanayhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly44
Yaye!! i thought i was the only east coaster from canada here!! im in new brunswick!

Ive actually never tried that though haha how weird!

You're not the only one!
greengrin.gif
Hodge podge is kind of odd, but it's one of those foods from my childhood (my mother's family are New Brunswick country folk) and I love it.

MisaMayah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corv's Queen
Yes indeed you do. My Aunt is Filipino and she got me hooked on Pangsinigang Sa Sampalok, or "Sour Soup" as I like to call it. I also love the rolls filled with the sweet pork. Don't know what those are called but they are sooooo good. I also love that her house always smells like fresh rice. Nice and clean.
smiles.gif

Mmm yes! Sinigang is actually my favourite Filipino dish, I could eat that everyday

user79

Ooh I just love cooking. I love cooking for other people especially, I'm somewhat of a culinary show-off and I love impressing people, haha! I consider myself a really good cook! Well, that's what other people tell me too, hehe. I actually like to cook a lot of foods from different cultures and ethnic backgrounds (Thailand, Morocco, Tunisia, Indonesia, India, North American, French are some of my fav cuisines) I will try to find some of my fav recipes when I have a bit more time to post them!! I actually realized I don't cook a lot of traditional "Swiss" food although there is a lot of great cuisine here.

RaynelleM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaMayah
Do you have a recipe for daal and any curry dish please???
winks.gif

mmm i could live off daal ... lol ... when i get home i'll look for the recipe that i actually wrote down for it ... cuz i don't usually follow the measurements, just throw stuff in .. but i'm sure u'll want the exact measurements!

oh and i also have a chicken curry i make w/ yougurt ... i'll find that for u too
smiles.gif

here's a good site for some goan food if anyone's interested:
Recipes in Goa > Goan Recipes > Seafood in Goa > Goan Rice Fish Curry > Recipe in Goa > Goa recipes > A variety of Goan recipe > How to Cook Goan food > Goan food > Local delicacies > Goan Spices > Goan food preparation > Goan methods of cooking goan

i dont know if you guys know the most famous recipe from brazil...
its called brigadeiro and in every birthday party theres a lot of it.
its pretty simple and delicious

1 can sweet condensed milk
4 fuuuuul spoons of cocoa powder (sweet or without sugar)
1 tablespoon of butter
1 package of chocolate sprinkles
small paper cases -Like the ones you would use for cupcakes really small.

1. Put the condensed milk, butter,and cocoa powder in a pan and mix them all together
2. Let the mixture cook over low heat for about 12 minutes, stirring it constantly until the mixture loosens from the bottom of the pan and it is thick like cream.
3. Put the mixture on a greased plate and allow it to cool down completely.
4. Roll 1 teaspoon of mixture into small balls. Tip: Grease your hands with butter before making the small balls. Wash your hands once in a while if necessary
5. Put the chocolate sprinkles in a bowl and roll the small balls in the chocolate sprinkles.
6. Place balls in small paper patty cases and then on a serving plate.