Recipes from your culture

Caramel_QT

Well, I was born and raised here in Canada, but my parents are West Indian. I didn't appreciate the food as a child (I wanted McDonald's or Kraft dinner, lol) but now, as an adult (well since my teen years really) I have come to realize how tastey the food is. My fave: OXTAIL!!! Here's a recipe I got from jamaicamekrazy.com:

Ingredients:
oxtail.jpg
2 lbs oxtail
1/4 cup oil
5 cups water
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 pieces of fresh chopped garlic
1 Sprig of fresh thyme
1 small scotch bonnet pepper
½ lb pre cooked large beans
Salt to your taste

Brown oxtail in oil. Add 6 cups of water and boil until tender, add tomatoes, onions, garlic, thyme and hot pepper and salt let simmer until oxtail is tender, add additional water if necessary, add lima beans. Lower heat, cover and simmer again for 10 minutes

Best served with rice and peas

Lizzie

Here ya go HeavenLeiBlu:

Pancit Bihon

Ingredients
1 pack of bihon noodles
1 pound of chicken breast
¼ lb. small shrimp in shells (optional)
½ cup vegetable oil
1 medium carrot, julienne
1 celery stalk, julienne
¼ lb. snow peas
1-½ cups shredded cabbage
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion, slided
1 cup chicken broth (created when chicken is boiled)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Serve with calamansi or lemon wedges

Procedures:
1. Separately, boil chicken and shrimp until tender/pink.
2. Remove chicken meat from bones and shred. Set the broth aside.
3. If shrimp is used, remove shells and devein.
4. Separately stir-fry carrot, celery, snow peas and cabbage until tender but not completely soft and set aside.
5. Soak noodles in warm water until softened. Drain and set aside.
6. In a wok, sauté garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil until lightly browned. Add onion. Stir-fry until soft.
7. Add chicken and shrimp (optional). Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
8. Pour in chicken broth. Bring to boil for 2 minutes. Season with soy sauce, salt, and black pepper.
9. Add noodles prepared in step 5. Stir constantly until cooked and dried.
10. Stir in carrot, celery, snow peas and cabbage.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

talste

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainz
PSSSS---- i have been insanely craving a middle-eastern dish i had at a dinner party....i cant for the life of me remember the name though. the person that brought them is..Syrian...i think... anyway, its ground beef with TONS of spices stuffed in a deep fried potato-dough ball. help?

Do you mean Kibbeh or Kofta? Like little spiced meatballs with bulghur,onion, cumin, chili, etc. If thats the one you can find different variations of the recipes here Lebanese Recipes

Thought I would add a simple yummy side dish, it's a Beer Bread Recipe that I always make for BBQ's,
The crust comes out crunchy and inside is dense & moist. .

Beer Bread
Ingredients:
375 grams SR Flour (about 3 cups)
40 grams White Sugar (don’t use castor sugar, 40grams = 2.75 tbs)
1 can beer

Method:
Pre heat oven to 180 degrees C, Grease a loaf tin.

Add Flour & sugar in a bowl, Pour in beer.

Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. With clean hands mix batter making sure there are no pockets of flour left in the mixture.

The batter will be very sticky and look lumpy, That’s fine its supposed to.

Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 – 60 mins on middle rack.

Check bread by piercing with a knife, If it comes out clean with no crumbs attached the bread is done.

Remove from oven and cool for 5 mins in tin before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.

·Beer can be at room temp or from the fridge, it doesn’t matter as it wont affect the raising BUT cold beer makes for cold fingers when mixing the batter.

smiles.gif

Evey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaMayah
I love Brazilian food. I used to work with a lot of Brazilians and we all went to a Brazilian restaurant - all you can eat!! (in an hour,lol) AMAZING. Great place to take the boys too because there is an unlimited supply of different meat!lol. I wish I knew what all the dishes were called. All I know is I couldn't stand up for a while after eating, like the kind where you have to undo your top button on your jeans,lol.

are you talking about Fogo de Chao? We have one here in Houston. I've never been there but I know it's like 90 bucks per person...haha

MisaMayah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey
are you talking about Fogo de Chao? We have one here in Houston. I've never been there but I know it's like 90 bucks per person...haha

It's a place called Rico Rodgrigos, it's like £25($50) per person. I need to go there real soon,lol so delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breechan
It's called: DSお料理ナビ (if your computer cannot see the text its "DS oryouri nabi") It can be translated into English as "DS Food Navigation". I don't think there's an English version of the game unfortunately. But there might be English cooking games for DS available where you live.
thmbup.gif

About the noodle soup: Are you talking about ramen noodle soup? The noodles are kinky and thin. Or do you mean udon noodles where the noodles are fat and white?

Thanks for that I'll have to check if we have a game like that. Ramen noodle, Vermicelli noodles too. Im not so fond of the thick white noodles as far as I can remember! Maybe I need to try it out again.

MisaMayah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel_QT
Well, I was born and raised here in Canada, but my parents are West Indian. I didn't appreciate the food as a child (I wanted McDonald's or Kraft dinner, lol) but now, as an adult (well since my teen years really) I have come to realize how tastey the food is. My fave: OXTAIL!!! Here's a recipe I got from jamaicamekrazy.com:

Ingredients:
oxtail.jpg
2 lbs oxtail
1/4 cup oil
5 cups water
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 pieces of fresh chopped garlic
1 Sprig of fresh thyme
1 small scotch bonnet pepper
½ lb pre cooked large beans
Salt to your taste

Brown oxtail in oil. Add 6 cups of water and boil until tender, add tomatoes, onions, garlic, thyme and hot pepper and salt let simmer until oxtail is tender, add additional water if necessary, add lima beans. Lower heat, cover and simmer again for 10 minutes

Best served with rice and peas

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm thanks doll!

StArCaNdY

Here's the recipe I use for a Nicaraguan dessert called Tres Leche..It's so delicious and fairly easy to make.

TRES LECHE

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar, divided
5 large eggs, separated
1/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Milk Syrup:
1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon light rum

Meringue:
1 cup sugar, divided
1/4 cup water
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously butter a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish. Beat 3/4 cup sugar and egg yolks until light and fluffy, about five minutes. Fold in milk, vanilla, flour and baking powder. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks, adding cream of tartar after 20 seconds. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and continue beating until whites are glossy and firm but not dry. Gently fold whites into yolk mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake cake until it feels firm and an inserted toothpick comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cake cool completely on a wire rack. While cake is cooking, make the Milk Syrup and Meringue.

For the Milk Syrup: Combine evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, whipping cream, vanilla and rum in a mixing bowl. Whisk until well mixed.

For Meringue: Place 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar in heavy saucepan with water. Cover and cook over high heat two minutes. Uncover pan and cook the sugar to the soft-ball stage (239 degrees Fahrenheit) on a candy thermometer or six to eight minutes). Meanwhile, beat egg whites to soft peaks with cream of tartar in electric mixer. Add remaining two tablespoons sugar gradually, continuing beating to stiff peaks. Pour boiling sugar syrup in a thin stream into the whites and continue beating until mixture is cool to the touch. The hot syrup "cooks" the whites. Unmold cake onto a deep, large platter. Pierce cake all over with a fork. Pour Milk Syrup over cake. Spoon the overflow back on top until all is absorbed. Using a wet spatula, spread top and sides of cake with a thick layer of Meringue. Refrigerate the cake covered at least two hours before serving.

Servings: Serves eight to ten.