Recipes from your culture

lainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
I make "chocolate chicken and white rice" it even has a song!!

It's basically Mole Chicken. I get chicken (usually boneless chicken breasts) along with a jar of mole sauce and put it all in one put with 3 cups of water and let it simmer for 2 hours? Make white rice and tortillas and enjoy.

Here is the song.
Chocolate Chicken and white rice,
It's very nice
it's got lots of spice,
you can eat it twice
Chocolate Chicken and white rice

2 hours?! seriously???? it takes me a half an hour at most to cook that ish. even if the chicken isnt defrosted beforehand.

lainz

okay...my all time favorite recipe is for Mexican Albondigas...or "meatball soup"

rice
ground beef
bread crumbs
1 egg
cilantro
carrots
potatoes
chicken bouillon

mix ground beef with rice, bread crumbs, and egg and form little to medium sized balls. boil these with veggies in water and add 2-3 tablespoons of chicken bouillon. its ready when potatoes are cooked, and you can see the rice coming out of the meatballs. serve immediately and eat with tortillas
smiles.gif

PSSSS---- i have been insanely craving a middle-eastern dish i had at a dinner party....i cant for the life of me remember the name though. the person that brought them is..Syrian...i think... anyway, its ground beef with TONS of spices stuffed in a deep fried potato-dough ball. help?

MisaMayah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxckslutrock
i dont know if you guys know the most famous recipe from brazil...
its called brigadeiro and in every birthday party theres a lot of it.
its pretty simple and delicious

1 can sweet condensed milk
4 fuuuuul spoons of cocoa powder (sweet or without sugar)
1 tablespoon of butter
1 package of chocolate sprinkles
small paper cases -Like the ones you would use for cupcakes really small.

I love Brazilian food. I used to work with a lot of Brazilians and we all went to a Brazilian restaurant - all you can eat!! (in an hour,lol) AMAZING. Great place to take the boys too because there is an unlimited supply of different meat!lol. I wish I knew what all the dishes were called. All I know is I couldn't stand up for a while after eating, like the kind where you have to undo your top button on your jeans,lol.

There is one dish that I haven't forgotton though, not sure how it's spelt, but pronounced fesh-wada??

kaliraksha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainz
okay...my all time favorite recipe is for Mexican Albondigas...or "meatball soup"

rice
ground beef
bread crumbs
1 egg
cilantro
carrots
potatoes
chicken bouillon

mix ground beef with rice, bread crumbs, and egg and form little to medium sized balls. boil these with veggies in water and add 2-3 tablespoons of chicken bouillon. its ready when potatoes are cooked, and you can see the rice coming out of the meatballs. serve immediately and eat with tortillas
smiles.gif

PSSSS---- i have been insanely craving a middle-eastern dish i had at a dinner party....i cant for the life of me remember the name though. the person that brought them is..Syrian...i think... anyway, its ground beef with TONS of spices stuffed in a deep fried potato-dough ball. help?

OMG I make these but in my house we've always added chopped mint to the meatballs... yum!

RaynelleM

Daal
1 tomato, chopped
2 onions, cut into half-rings / chopped
1 potato, cut into small cubes
1 cup daal (I use the orange one)
Few cloves
Vegetable stock cube
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
½ tsp tumeric
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp all spice
1 tsp curry powder
Oil
Salt
Wash & soak the daal for 2 hrs.
Set aside some of the onions for the daal.
Fry the rest with the tomato, vege stock and cloves until the onions are a dark golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
Heat some oil in a largeish pot, add the uncooked onions and fry until caramelized then add the ginger & garlic paste, tumeric, pepper, all spice & curry powder.
Remove the daal from water and add to pot and mix with onions & spices. Add one cup of water or enough to cover the daal. At this point I let it simmer for a few mins and then I take a potato masher and “mash” the daal, just to give it a thicker consistency when it’s done. Add the fried onion/tomato mixture and the potatoes. Salt to taste.
Leave it on high until it starts to boil and steam appears then open the vent and reduce heat. Cook for 15 mins.

Chicken Curry w/ yogurt
Chicken, skinned (you can use legs or thighs or whatever you want)
Chicken stock cube
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
2 tbls curry paste (this come in a bottle pre-made … or you can make your own spice mix – I use 2 tbls curry powder, 1 tsp tumeric, ½ tsp coriander, pepper, all spice, cumin, paprika and chilli powder)
1 potato, cubed
1 cup yogurt
Oil
Salt
Rub the ginger & garlic paste on the pieces of chicken, cover and set aside (I put it back in the fridge)
Heat the oil and fry the onions with the chicken stock, then add the curry paste or spice mix. Once it is all mixed together add the chicken, few pieces at a time. Leave to brown for a few mins then add 1 cup of water and potato. Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil, then open vent and reduce heat. Cook for 20 min. Add the yogurt during the last few mins of cooking, mix it in well.

Enjoy!!

RaynelleM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaMayah
awesome RaynelleM ..omg I cant wait to cook all of it =) Thank you xxx

You're Welcome!! ... let me know how it turns out!

Oh and I forgot to mention ... for the daal you can even use a pre-made daal spice mix if you're short on time ... they are sold at Indian stores, if you have any where you live
smiles.gif

Does anyone have any Middle Eastern recipes? I miss eating that food and haven’t found any place over here where it tastes authentic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaMayah
I love Brazilian food. I used to work with a lot of Brazilians and we all went to a Brazilian restaurant - all you can eat!! (in an hour,lol) AMAZING. Great place to take the boys too because there is an unlimited supply of different meat!lol. I wish I knew what all the dishes were called. All I know is I couldn't stand up for a while after eating, like the kind where you have to undo your top button on your jeans,lol.

There is one dish that I haven't forgotton though, not sure how it's spelt, but pronounced fesh-wada??

its feijoada...and i hate that!
everybody loves it and i dont know anybody who doesnt like it..
its made with black beans, pig meat,comes with white rice, farofa, and salad.
its a very heavy food..one of the reasons that i dont like...

nek0

Hi gals!

I lurk around A LOT but I don't post that much
ssad.gif
I sometimes think I have nothing interesting to say, I have loved cosmetics and MAC for a long time but I am not as saavy as some of you ^_^

But... FOOD is my other passion!!
greengrin.gif
And as MissChievous I am a total foodie and loooooove cooking! I am Spanish but don't do much Spanish cooking (I was born in Canada and lived there until 10), so I am more into international cooking.

I don't know if this is allowed but you girls can check out my blog
smiles.gif
la nek0cina and press english. Although if you lurk around you'll probably find recipes in english and spanish, I recently migrated to wordpress and everything is all mingled up, sorry!

Greetings,
nek0

fashionette

Ok, I'm a tad lazy so I'll just post some names of dishes you have to try:

- Swedish pancakes. So yummy, thin and heavenly. Eat it with berry jam and whipped cream.
- Swedish meatballs (I'm a vegetarian so I make this out of vegetarian ground "meat"). Serve with gravy and potatoes.

I'll drop by this thread later to post some recipes and other stuff.
smiles.gif

V15U4L_3RR0R

Hmm I'm too lazy to write recipes but a few national foods include:

Porridge
Black Pudding and White pudding
Haggis
Deep Fried Mars Bar

Lmao guess where I'm from
winks.gif

alwaysbella

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainz

rice
ground beef
bread crumbs
1 egg
cilantro
carrots
potatoes
chicken bouillon

smiles.gif

I love albondigas too! but in my fam. we never put bread crums...maybe i should try it next time
winkiss.gif

alwaysbella

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha
OMG I make these but in my house we've always added chopped mint to the meatballs... yum!

oh yes yes, mint and dont forget the 'oregano' this two are the key ingredients for albondigas!!!

Le-Saboteur

Aww, Maori food is pretty boring in comparison to all this. Except for rotten crayfish and corn, which are incidentally delicacies. I'm sure you can work out how to whip those ones up, haha.

I've saved many recipes from this thread
smiles.gif

Edit: Ooh, just remembered Roroi. I've only ever had it as a dessert with cream, but some people eat it as a side dish with other stuff, too.

Ingredients
3 or 4 large kumara/red sweet potato I guess (I'm not sure how different they are overseas)
Sugar

Instructions
Scrub the kumara and peel the skin unless it's really fresh
Leave one kumara to the side and grate the rest up into a shallow baking dish
Sprinkle with sugar (however much you want :p Brown sugar is yummier, I think)
Slice up the remaining kumara and place it over the top so it doesn't go too crunchy
Bake at about 170 degrees Celsius for an hour

EAT. The top slices are usually a bit too crunchy to be good, but if you like that, awesome
smiles.gif
It tastes nice with butter, cream or ice cream.

True traditional recipes (before Europeans arrived) involve too much indigenous produce to be viable for anyone overseas, unless you have lots of moneys to buy piko piko (fern) shoots. Even here they cost a lot, unless you live in a place with lots of bush and can just go filch them off the trees, haha.

Dreamergirl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxckslutrock
i dont know if you guys know the most famous recipe from brazil...
its called brigadeiro and in every birthday party theres a lot of it.
its pretty simple and delicious

1 can sweet condensed milk
4 fuuuuul spoons of cocoa powder (sweet or without sugar)
1 tablespoon of butter
1 package of chocolate sprinkles
small paper cases -Like the ones you would use for cupcakes really small.

1. Put the condensed milk, butter,and cocoa powder in a pan and mix them all together
2. Let the mixture cook over low heat for about 12 minutes, stirring it constantly until the mixture loosens from the bottom of the pan and it is thick like cream.
3. Put the mixture on a greased plate and allow it to cool down completely.
4. Roll 1 teaspoon of mixture into small balls. Tip: Grease your hands with butter before making the small balls. Wash your hands once in a while if necessary
5. Put the chocolate sprinkles in a bowl and roll the small balls in the chocolate sprinkles.
6. Place balls in small paper patty cases and then on a serving plate.

Obrigada! One of my closest friends was from Rio and whenever I would sleep over she would make this for me. She's back home now and I miss both her and this dish very much, so thank u for sharing!!! I will definitely be using it very very often
smiles.gif

thebreat

My family is Japanese. So I will show you basic recipes from my family!

Japanese White Rice

1. Wash the rice thoroughly! Rinse it until your water is almost clear.
2. Soak the rice. This is the key to making good Japanese rice. This is the most crucial step. Soak it in water for 1/2 an hour to 1 hour.
3. Put the rice in a deep pan. Put 1 cup of water for every cup of rice you have.
4. Cover the pan and put on high to bring it to a boil. Then turn the heat on the lowest setting and simmer for 10-13 minutes, or until all the water has absorbed. (It needs still be wet, so don't wait until it's dry!
smiles.gif
)
5. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside (still covered) and let it set 10-15 minutes before serving.

If you use brown rice, use 2 parts water to 1 part rice. Let it simmer for 40 minutes.

One of my favorites:

Boiled Edamame (beans in a pod)

You can buy these at any Japanese supermarket, and I have even started to see them in regular supermarkets.

Boil the bean pods in salt water, not salty water, salt water. Boil them for about 7-10 minutes. Drain and enjoy. (note: you eat the little beans inside!)

In Japanese culture it is acceptable to squeeze the pods with your teeth to push the beans into your mouth!

I guess my last tip is that making nori-rolled sushi (those perfectly round sushi) is not worth attempting to do yourself unless you are adamant on doing it. I suggest hand rolled sushi!

Hand-Rolled Sushi

You will need seaweed sheets available at any larger grocery store, what ever you want to put inside, your previously made Japanese rice, rice vinegar, and seasonings. You can either do your own seasoning or you can use the premade seasonings they have at Japanese super markets. They usually come in glass jars with sprinkle and pour tops.

Sushi doesn't have to be raw, so you don't have to eat raw fish to enjoy these little mouthfuls of yum!

Common fillings are fish, shellfish, prawns, Japanese cucumbers, and other sorts of vegetables.

1. To prepare the rice, place it on a flat surface. (I use my cookie sheets. Lol!) Pour some rice vinegar over it just enough to wet it. Sprinkle on your seasonings. Stir it around to get the vinegar on all the rice.
2. Then take a hand fan. You can use those fans they have in churches, or you can do the accordion folded fan like we did in elementary school. Fan the rice while stirring it around. When it is kind of dry and starts to stick together, that is when it is ready.
3. Normally you set everything out at the table separately and everyone can roll their own sushi. It's a really fun way to start a meal!

purrtykitty

OK, here's a ridiculously American dish...very child-friendly (for those with children...or those of us who eat like children!)

Tater-Tot Casserole:

1 Bag frozen Tater-Tots
1 lb. Ground Beef
1 can condensed cheese soup (Cream of Mushroom also works...and you can use the Garlic variety to make it "gourmet Tater-Tot Casserole"
greengrin.gif
)
1/2 c. sour cream
8 oz. Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Spray a casserole dish (preferably 9x9) and pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Put a nice layer of tater-tots in the bottom of the casserole dish (about 1/2 of the bag) and pop in the oven for about 10 minutes. This will ensure that the tots on the bottom are nice and crispy. While the tater-tots are baking, brown the ground beef (season to taste...I usually add a bit of oregano and seasoning salt). Drain the beef and mix in the canned corn, condensed soup (as is...do not dilute the soup), and sour cream. Add in about 1/3 of the shredded cheese to the mixture. Pour the mixture over that bottom layer of tater-tots (which you should've removed from the oven). Layer the remaining tater-tots over the top of the mixture. At this point, I like to sprinkle a little more seasoning salt over the tots. Top the tater-tots with the remaining shredded cheese. Pop that bad-boy in the oven and let it bake for about 20 more minutes (or until the tater-tots are nice and golden brown and the cheese is all melty...make sure the casserole isn't too close to the burner). Once it's all cooked, let the casserole cool for about 7 minutes and serve!

I find this is one of those meals that's really easy to make after a long day and everyone loves it. I had a friend who made this for her host family while she was in Japan and she said they wanted the recipe so they could have it after she left!