Red lipstick

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeup Emporium
I'm so jealous of you ladies that can pull off the red lipstick! I absolutely love it but it doesn't love me!!
cry.gif
In fact I can't even wear red clothing; it's like my body has a COMPLETE aversion to red. It's tragic!

I used to have the same problem. Then I checked out the red lipsticks mac offers and realized that one of them had to work. It took me time to find the right hue, but i did find one. You'll have to alter your other makeup for red lipstick too. Don't give up on it yet!

dreamer246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeup Emporium
I'm so jealous of you ladies that can pull off the red lipstick! I absolutely love it but it doesn't love me!!
cry.gif
In fact I can't even wear red clothing; it's like my body has a COMPLETE aversion to red. It's tragic!

Aww. Red mostly looks bad on me too. But I can pull off red lips. So maybe you should try searching and experimenting till you find some shades that you can pull off! After all, there are many variations of the color red, there's bound to be some that you can pull off.
smiles.gif

User49

I'm an NW15 naturally with green eyes and I can't get enough of Ruby Woo. It is my ultimate red without a shadow of a doubt! But i'm after a red with a bit of a frost/shimmer to it. DOes anyone know of any pigments u could put over ruby woo to make them look even more gorgeous without changing the colour of the ruby woo too much? x

Nevermind I've discovered that ruby woo + vanilla pigment + Fanplastico Lip Lacquer make a great combo to create that look!
smiles.gif

Tahti

Mmmm Ruby Woooo <3
But I love Russian Red so much too ;( I can never decide which one is better for me! I swear I've swatched them on my more time than I've worn them lol. Russian Red seems to dry out my lips less though.. I wear it almost every day with Cherry L/P and Russian Red L/G.

User38

I said it before, and I will say it again -- I ADORE RED LIPS!! .. not that I apply them on anybody, but they are my personal favorites.

I will add a note that at my age (even with all my teeth, lol), I am not "supposed" to wear red lips. Most of the information out there for "mature" women is that they stay away from red on the lips because it makes them look older!

I wholeheartedly disagree. I have alabaster skin but my hair is now a dark/black with white/platinum streaks aka grey hair and the reds I wear show up beautifully. Since I have taken good care of my skin for years, and I do not have wrinkled chicken lips, the red only emphasizes the great shape my lips are in -- my husband loves my red lips and actually doesn't like me in any pale lips (which I wear too but with smoky eyes).

I guess the real trick is to find your color in anything whether it is red, pink or nude... and to have the panache to wear it and feel good about it
smiles.gif

GO REDs!!!

btw: as I have posted before, there will be a lot of red, burgundy, berry and cherry as well as really dark plums for Fall 2009!
greengrin.gif

User38

the man who wrote that article is either a mysoginist, a frustrated femme fatale or simply ignorant
greengrin.gif

I think anyone can wear red in its many and varied tones and forms!

nichollecaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer246
Sorry I think it is bull. There're people who choose to make red lips their signature look and wear them everywhere, so who's to say there's not many occasions that call for red lips. Also, there are so many different red lipsticks out there, I'm pretty sure there is at least one for everyone.
winks.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cno64
While I agree that red lipstick can be tricky to pull off, I still love it.
I'm one of those women with "flawless ivory skin," at least when I have my foundation on, so I'm keeping my Ruby Woo and my Classic Dame, among many others.
I have to say, though, that I think women of color look terrific in red lipstick, too. Red lips against smooth brown skin is a gorgeous look, in my opinion.
In short, I think red lipstick is great unless you 1) put it on too heavily, 2) go outside your natural lip line, and 3) apply gloss too heavily on top.
As for the mess on dishes, lip stains can go a long way toward avoiding that, plus you will still have pretty, naturally-flushed looking lips even after finishing a meal.
For a red stain, I like Revlon's Just Bitten lip stain in "Cherry Tart," or Stila's Lip Rouge in "Pucker."
Both of these products take some practice, but the result is worth it, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
The only thing i agree with in the article is that it can be tricky to apply sometimes..the rest of the article is dumb.

whew! I read it and my heart sank. I was wondering what I missed! Maybe it was written by a color blind man!!!

Dani California

I have now added MAC red to my collection
th_DANCE.gif
I do like it, I'm finding the satin texture a bit weird to work with, am soo used to lustres and their easiness
lol.gif
I must say MAC red is darker than I'm used to though...I'm a bit eeeeeek about it but love the colour
th_DANCE.gif
The guy at MAC was great and put some venetian over the top.........OMG amazing, thats what I'm buying next lololol

BTW what is this fanplastico lip lacquer you all speak of? I don't seem to be able to find it on the uk site ???

BEA2LS

i lost my russian red, i must find it!!
i hate to say this but i also disagree with the article.. than again i also love blue eyeshadow and french manicures so whatever :shrug: though i do find some of it a bit.. on the cruel side?

rocksteadybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani California
th_DANCE.gif
I do like it, I'm finding the satin texture a bit weird to work with, am soo used to lustres and their easiness
lol.gif
I must say MAC red is darker than I'm used to though...I'm a bit eeeeeek about it but love the colour
th_DANCE.gif
The guy at MAC was great and put some venetian over the top.........OMG amazing, thats what I'm buying next lololol

BTW what is this fanplastico lip lacquer you all speak of? I don't seem to be able to find it on the uk site ???

Mac red lipstick is the bomb
smiles.gif
!!! This is my favorite red lippie ever

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani California
th_DANCE.gif
lol.gif

If you want a red in the Lustre formula, Ladybug is the one to go for!
I LOVE it!
Normally, I'm a "full-on red" woman, but Ladybug is terrific if you are just starting to wear red, and don't want to immediately dive into the "deep water" of shades like Ruby Woo and Russian Red.
I like Ladybug for warm weather, even though I'm an experienced wearer of red; the Lustre formula feels lighter on the lips.
BTW, since you mentioned gloss over red, Love Alert Dazzleglass is also a good choice to wear over reds.
And now it's PERMANENT!
th_DANCE.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteadybaby
Mac red lipstick is the bomb
smiles.gif
!!! This is my favorite red lippie ever

I completely agree that MAC Red is wonderful!
eyelove.gif

It's such a gorgeous cherry red, and I really like the smoothness and good coverage of the Satin formula.
I think, though, that the title of My Favorite Red Lipstick still goes to the lamentably discontinued Powerhouse.
Does anyone know if Brave Red Cremesheen is similar to Powerhouse?

dreamer246

Which of the reds MAC makes is more 'wearable' (nothing too dramatic like Russian Red, etc)? I'm thinking Ladybug, Fresh Moroccan, and Hot Tahiti.
hmm.gif
On Hold cremesheen is an easy shade to wear too. Crazee (LE) is a gorgeous coral-red color that is good too.

Also I'm wondering between the pro lipsticks Charred Red and Dark Side (both of which are supposedly similar and also dupes for Rocker l/s), which one should I get? TIA!
smiles.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerGreyness
I will add a note that at my age (even with all my teeth, lol), I am not "supposed" to wear red lips. Most of the information out there for "mature" women is that they stay away from red on the lips because it makes them look older!

Pshaw!
I disagree, right along with you!
While it is true that matte red on a mature woman who has thin wrinkled lips *can* indeed look harsh, on those of us (I'm 45) who still have smooth skin(wear that sunscreen daily!) and full smooth lips there is no reason to avoid red!