Red lipstick

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer246
Which of the reds MAC makes is more 'wearable' (nothing too dramatic like Russian Red, etc)? I'm thinking Ladybug, Fresh Moroccan, and Hot Tahiti.
hmm.gif
On Hold cremesheen is an easy shade to wear too. Crazee (LE) is a gorgeous coral-red color that is good too.

Also I'm wondering between the pro lipsticks Charred Red and Dark Side (both of which are supposedly similar and also dupes for Rocker l/s), which one should I get? TIA!
smiles.gif

I am a HUGE fan of Ladybug!
It is almost like a very pigmented gloss, and is very wearable.
It's not "in-your-face" at all; it's more of an "Oh, yeah; you *are* wearing red lips, aren't you?" sort of look.
As for Dark Side vs. Charred Red, I'm not familiar with either.
I would go with whichever formula you like best, assuming that each is a *different* formula.
Maybe someone else here could post comparison swatches.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer246
Which of the reds MAC makes is more 'wearable' (nothing too dramatic like Russian Red, etc)? I'm thinking Ladybug, Fresh Moroccan, and Hot Tahiti.
hmm.gif
On Hold cremesheen is an easy shade to wear too. Crazee (LE) is a gorgeous coral-red color that is good too.

Also I'm wondering between the pro lipsticks Charred Red and Dark Side (both of which are supposedly similar and also dupes for Rocker l/s), which one should I get? TIA!
smiles.gif

I love love Dark Side....Charred is very similar but appears way darker due to the matte formula...DS is far more wearable on me and not as drying...But they are both similar so I would not get both but one or the other

BEA2LS

what does everyone wear with red lips? i usually do white eyeshadow and black eyeliner (mind you, i'm pale NC15 and pretty much pale as a ghost so white eyeshadow is usually my neutral shade
smiles.gif
)
i made a list of what to pack on vacation (lol) and i was trying to think of a way to make red lipstick look more summery, but i am not sure what to do.. (i was thinking a bright color eyeliner?) my go to red is russian red so it's pretty bold i just really am not a fan of the black eye-liner look, i want something new..

dreamer246

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
I love love Dark Side....Charred is very similar but appears way darker due to the matte formula...DS is far more wearable on me and not as drying...But they are both similar so I would not get both but one or the other

Ok, Dark Side it is then! Although I love the name Charred Red, but no, I will not get it just for the name.
nonono.gif
Do you have pics of you wearing Dark Side? I'd love to see them if you do.
greengrin.gif

cno64

OOkay, does anyone know if there's a trick to applying red lipstick lightly/sheerly and have it still look red?
Today I tried applying Lady Danger by smoothing it on my lips with my finger, and it looked pink!
I've had the exact same thing happen with every other red lipstick I've tried applying this way (Ruby Woo, Powerhouse, Rapturous, Port Red, etc.).
ssad.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEA2LS
what does everyone wear with red lips? i usually do white eyeshadow and black eyeliner (mind you, i'm pale NC15 and pretty much pale as a ghost so white eyeshadow is usually my neutral shade
smiles.gif
)
i made a list of what to pack on vacation (lol) and i was trying to think of a way to make red lipstick look more summery, but i am not sure what to do.. (i was thinking a bright color eyeliner?) my go to red is russian red so it's pretty bold i just really am not a fan of the black eye-liner look, i want something new..

When I want to wear red lips in the summer, I reach for my darling Ladybug, which is red but a Lustre, and on my eyes I do shimmery taupe and champagne shadows and Blacktrack smudged right into the upper lashlines with an angle brush.
I know you said you're not a fan of black eyeliner, but if you get it close enough to the lashline it really doesn't look like you're wearing eyeliner; it just looks like you have really thick lashes.
I add red blush (yes!) applied lightly with a fan brush, and it's a very fresh summery look.
BTW, I'm NW15.

versace

i know its not a lipstick but russian red lip glass is pure love
its so shiny and pigmented
i adore it

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixxen
queens sin is my love

I know what you're saying!
eyelove.gif

Queen's Sin is without a doubt one of the most insanely gorgeous lipsticks MAC has ever come out with, but I think I actually prefer Port Red by a tiiiny margin.
On NW15 brunette me, Queen's Sin looks fairly burgundy, while Port Red is a wonderful true gleaming red, like a ruby in lipstick form.
I'm not exactly proud of this sort of behavior, but occasionally I roll Port Red all the way up, and just admire it.
sigh.gif

Of course, I bought a backup.
yes.gif

thisskyeishuman

Looking for the perfect red lipstick.

Hello, I think this is probably my first time posting here (yikes!).

Well, I'm looking for the best vibrant, red lipstick for my skin tone. I've tried a lot, and so far the ones I've liked the most on me where bright-orange reds. Any recommendations? I use Clinique's Perfectly Real Foundation in Shade 1 or 2 (depending on the season...I'm pretty ghostly). If I can find a good photo of my self I'll post it as well.

well, I found some! The red lipstick photo is from this time last year, I have no idea what color it is, but it's from the FL!RT line at Khols, I liked it a lot, but I want other recommendations as well.

The larger photo is my most recent one.

sweetlif3

Re: Looking for the perfect red lipstick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisskyeishuman
Hello, I think this is probably my first time posting here (yikes!).

Well, I'm looking for the best vibrant, red lipstick for my skin tone. I've tried a lot, and so far the ones I've liked the most on me where bright-orange reds. Any recommendations? I use Clinique's Perfectly Real Foundation in Shade 1 or 2 (depending on the season...I'm pretty ghostly). If I can find a good photo of my self I'll post it as well.

well, I found some! The red lipstick photo is from this time last year, I have no idea what color it is, but it's from the FL!RT line at Khols, I liked it a lot, but I want other recommendations as well.

The larger photo is my most recent one.

I highly recommend Revlon's Moon Drops lipstick in Hot Coral 712... it wakes your face up!! Anyway, I just posted a FOTD with it if you're curious what it looks like.
yes.gif

MrsRjizzle

I think Mac Factors lipstick in Ms Right is gorgeous and def on the bright (more orange) side for day wear.
I need to go through my reds and re think this.. I tend to be drawn toward the blue red shades.

OfficerJenny

Although not an orange red, MAC's Hang Up is a gorgeous red that I think would look great on you

thisskyeishuman

I think I say orange-reds because blue-based reds tend to go pink for fuchsia on me, at least all the ones I've tried do, My closest MAC store is over an hour away (plus I'm currently not allowing myself go because I have I think I've spent too much money there already, and I've only known about it for a few months, haha). I may try the Revlon or Max Factor.

Anyone else?