Red lipstick

eowyn797

Re: Best red lipstick color for a NC43?

i actually really love Lady Bug, but i'm NW15 so i'm not sure how helpful that is

SeXyChULa

I tried on the viva glam 1 and ruby woo and decided to go with the ruby woo...sometimes I'll use a mahogany lipliner lightly under it, so it's not sooo red. I have somewhat big lips..so when I'm wearing it...sometimes my sister says I look like a clown...but that's only because she's a hater! haha...and I usually wear neutral colors on my lips, so my lips are like, BAM out there when I wear ruby woo. I'm an nc40 and I like ruby woo...

amoona

Ok honestly for red lipsticks you should totally go and try it yourself. Reds tend to be the hardest color for people becausee veryone has a different idea of the perfect red lip. I'm an NC40 and my favorites are Ruby Woo and Dubbonnet. I also just fell in love with Urgent! Slimshine as my new daytime toned down red lipstick.

If you don't mind Matte lipsticks then check out Ruby Woo with Springbean l/g on top WOW!

ArelysAdriana

Best red lipstick?

I've been dying to try wearing red lipstick, but am afraid of looking like a clown.

What is the best red lipstick for NW20, green eyes, dark brown/black hair?

me_jelly

Re: Best red lipstick?

If you are just starting out and are afraid of going too bold, I would highly recommend lipstick in Lady Bug - it's a great sheer medium red that would work really well with your skintone! This is one of my fav day reds.

If you want to try something less sheer and more bold, try russian red lipstick (matte).

If you want to try something more deeper and richer, try dubonnet (it's absolutely gorgeous)

User49

I like ruby woo or ruby doo (can't remember what it is one of those two!) and some of the viva glams are good too
smiles.gif
(Ps Im an nw15-20 too so definitly give it a go!) Apparently russian red lipgloss is nice too!
smiles.gif

applefrite

For the beginning Lady Bug because it is a lustre . Me , I love Russian Red but it is a mat lipstick .

Showgirl

I am NW20 and absolutely *obsessed* with red lipstick *grins* so hopefully I can help.

With your hair colour, I bet you can pull of a whole range of shades. But here's some to consider to be going on with (going from subtle to more full-on)

- New York Apple: the MAC site describes this as "Muted red with pinky-red shimmer", I would describe this as a warm, complex very very shimmery red which looks almost like a car paint finish and suits most complexions. It's not at all bright or over-powering, just very face-warming, you can even get away with this to work if you wear it with a minimal eye. The shimmer makes it feel quite glam, too, it reminds me of "Ruby Slippers" and I think this is a great "starter" red lipstick if you're not wanting to go very bright.

- If your taste in reds veers more towards the berryish, darker side of things, try Dubonnet (kinda the colour of red wine, hence the title)

- Ladybug's already been discussed: a very bright but very sheer red that suits most skintones, and very lovely indeed. Not a bad "starter" red at all.

- With your colouring, I'm betting "Ruby Woo" is going to be a winner with you. It's a warm blue-toned red, slightly less full-on bright than "Russian Red" (which I wouldn't recommend as a "first time" red), and I personally find it more flattering on my skintone than RR. It's pretty and very retro.

- My all-time favourite lipstick however just by a tiny, tiny edge over Ruby Woo is "Glam", a really unusual cherry-red, really bright and very red, but with really full-on pinkish undertones which would work great on your skintone. Stunning, think this would look great on you.... but be aware it's a real head-turner of a lipstick and fuller-on than the others I've recommended. Try this if you normally like bright cheery pink lipstick, it's a perfect fusion of red and pink, almost like the colour of a poppy if that makes sense.

- Glam and Ruby Woo are matte lipsticks, which some people find very drying and dislike: I'm the opposite, I love 'em, but they're not for everyone. If you fancy a bluish red but dislike the matte texture, go for "MAC Red", it's a satin, and IMHO it sits somewhere between Ruby Woo and Glam on the shade side - a warm pinkish red with bluish undertones.

- Personally I don't suit brick/brown undertoned reds at all, but I have very yellow undertones to my complexion which you may not. If you fancy trying something in this colour range, look at "Chili" or "Fresh Moroccan". Both are very pretty lipsticks, and very wearable reds, they just don't work on me at all.

Hope this helps, Sho x

Tubachick02

my fave is Viva Glam 1, a really nice everyday red for me, i get out the Russian Red for perfoming and special occaions

thelilprincess

red lipstick advice

i bought Dubonnet l/s and Mahogany l/l because i really like the red lip look....but still don't feel like i can pull it off. i am a C4 (also fall between NC300 and NC 400), black hair (didn;t know if that matter because most people i think of that pull off the red lips are causcasian blondes, not asian and black colored haired.)

anyhow, i have since purchased Paramount and i think i like this color much better. i do keep the rest simple - mascara and pinch o peach blush....sometimes i add vanilla pigments to my eyelids.

anyhow, what can i do to make the Dubonnet usable on me? i do have spice l/l but still don't like that combination. is it doomed to sit in the bottom of my makeup bag...or should i take the nearly full tube to b2m?

thanks!

Tubachick02

Re: red lipstick advice

I always think of dark hair with a red lip, look at Dita Von Teese, or Bettie Page, they both rock the red lip and have dark hair, if it still intimidates you, tone it down by mixing the lipcolor with gloss or balm making it more sheer

me_jelly

I'd have to disagree that only blondes can rock red lipstick. I think that everyone can rock red lipstick and that includes raven haired beauties. I love red lipstick and love dubonnet - perhaps you can try pairing it with auburn l/l instead? That is my favourite combo, it gives me the perfect rich deeper red (without being too vampy) - I am asian, NC35, with black hair and eyes, by the way.

The eye makeup/face makeup you mentioned to go with the red lipstick sounds perfect - perhaps try dubonnet again with auburn l/l, and blot the lipstick very gently after you've applied it and add a tiny bit of clear gloss to the middle of your lips for a plumping/3D effect.

Dubonnet lipstick is gorgeous (it's my fav mac rich red lippie) and will definitely work for someone of your skintone/features - so definitely give it another try since it'll be such a huge shame to bring back a new tube of l/s for B2M.

If you are not so used to a bold or deeper red, you can always try a sheerer red first - I always recommend this for red lip starters lol: Lady bug - it's a sheer medium red and is very forgiving.

SingFrAbsoltion

When I went to Sephora to get a red lippie a girl there told me that it could take 30 minutes if not more to find the right red for you. I looked at bright reds but felt a little uncomfortable in them and settled for a darker red with a hint of brown. It's called Madison by Vincent Longo

Try a lot of different reds and you'll find one that suits you =]

thelilprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_jelly
I'd have to disagree that only blondes can rock red lipstick.

sorry, i didn't mean to sound like i was saying only blondes look good in red lipstick - i meant that's all i could think of such as gwen stefani, christina aguilera (who i am so glad is not as skanky as she was in her dirrty days....sorry if offend anyone who did like her in those days), marilyn monroe...

bettie page isn't a face i see on those television shows like Access Hollywood, and i have heard of Dita Von Teese but for some reason i just didn't think of her. i've been in school for the last 4 yrs, so my mind isn't quick to think of these beauties unless i somehow caught an episode of Access Hollywood.

next time i go to the mac counter i will try auburn l/l with the dubonnet. thanks everyone!

Tubachick02

who says you need to look like a movie star though, and Aguleira wore red lips when she was dark too

Latest posts