Red lipstick

me_jelly

Re: red lipstick advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelilprincess
sorry, i didn't mean to sound like i was saying only blondes look good in red lipstick - i meant that's all i could think of such as gwen stefani, christina aguilera (who i am so glad is not as skanky as she was in her dirrty days....sorry if offend anyone who did like her in those days), marilyn monroe...

bettie page isn't a face i see on those television shows like Access Hollywood, and i have heard of Dita Von Teese but for some reason i just didn't think of her. i've been in school for the last 4 yrs, so my mind isn't quick to think of these beauties unless i somehow caught an episode of Access Hollywood.

next time i go to the mac counter i will try auburn l/l with the dubonnet. thanks everyone!

nah, no worries, I wasn't offended at all, just wanted to encourage you to try the lippie again =)

But yes, definitely try it with aburn l/l (I find it to be a close match to the actual color of dubonnet, rather than changing the color)..let me know how it goes!

Beauty Mark

Why don't you think it'll work for you? I'm Asian and I used to wear red lipstick all the time. I still wear it.

You have to consider the shade of red you're using. Dark burgundy red doesn't look great on me during the day, too dark and dramatic. Brighter red, like what Christina Aguilera has been wearing, has been the perfect red for me for the day. You can't wear a crazy amount of color if you wear red on your lips; you have to balance it.

If you still aren't comfortable wearing red for some reason, tints are nice or just restricting yourself to night time. You can turn your current lipstick into a tint by just smudging it on your lips with your finger or applying balm first then wearing it; latter method, though, always makes it wear faster on me.

You have to really play around with reds to find a good match. And by play, I mean actually try them on. Some are too blue, some are too orange, etc.

A good red is hard to find.

amoona

I'm an NC40 with black hair and Dubonnet is my go to red lip (as well as Alta Moda). I wear it with Cherry l/l and Springbean l/g on top.

L281173

Re: another red lipstick question..

I am in the NW 50 complexion family. My complexion is in the range of Gabrielle Union.

Three favorites reds of mine are by Astarte Cosmetics.

1) Bad Girl Red Lip Lacquer
2) Candy Apple Red Gloss
3) Climax Lip Lacquer.

These colors are slammin against chocolatey complexions.

http://www.astartecosmetics.com

Beauty Mark

Re: another red lipstick question..

I'm not your shade, but Nars Red Lizard doesn't appear to have any red. The Nars line of lipsticks has a great selection of red lipstick

CantAffordMAC

I can't pull off red lipstick

Red lipstick seems like the one thing that every girl has and everyone can wear.
I have tried and tried but I hate the way I look with red lipstick. I feel so ugly and I feel like a little girl who got into her mom's makeup. I feel like I can't wear too much other makeup when I wear red lipstick, and if I'm not wearing too much other makeup, it makes the lipstick look...wrong. (like i have the perfect outfit but my hair isn't done...ya kno?)

I've never worn this in public lol obviously. I just wanted to know if anyone has had this problem or is it just me? I have this problem with all dark lipsticks though (i haven't gone darker than a medium brownish color)

MACATTAK

Re: I can't pull off red lipstick

I feel the same way you do! I feel like when I wear it, I'm either overdone or it just doesn't fit me. Usually I wear lipgloss, so maybe that's why. I always have to tone it down by mixing colors
smiles.gif

jenii

It's just not something you're used to wearing, so it feels like it looks weird.

You could just get a sheer red gloss, or one of the MAC Lustre lipsticks in a red shade. You'd be getting red lip color, without having to fully commit to having RED RED lips.

macslut

I can't wear red lipstick and have problems with all but the darkests...which are too dark for me. I have nice, pigmented lips so it is hard to get anything to show up. I stick to lipgloss and Plushglass for the most part.

me_jelly

I love red lips, it's my default look when I want to look sexy/mysterious. But of course, I normally only reserve bold/vampy red lips for evenings. For daytime, I do red lips sometimes when I'm feeling a little funky and dangerous lol - but I use a sheerer/glossier reds.

I'm guessing that you may find it weird since you are not used to the look! That happened to me be to when I just got into smokey/more dramatic eyes (since I always tend to do bolder lips than eyes)...I thought it looked like I got punched in the eye or something lol - but after a while, more dramatic eyes seemed more natural to me

Start with sheeer red glosses or a sheer red l/s with clear gloss overtop - keep eyes to a simple neutral wash and black eyeliner/mascara, and neutral blush - when you start to feel more comfortable with it, try bolder, less sheer reds.

I personally believe that everyone can find a red lipstick that will work for them - it'll take a bit of playing around before you find out which type of red works best for your skintone/features. Good luck!

dollbabybex

red just doesnt suit me either!

my old house amte wore lots and had all the mac reds... they just look garish on me and clash with my skin...both yellow toned and blue ones!

and id love to rock the xtina/gwen look!

i can wear bright pinks like girl about town..
ssad.gif

CantAffordMAC

Thanks everyone for your help! I thought about trying a red gloss first but I haven't got around to it. Still, when I wear red lipstick/gloss I'm going to make sure the rest of my makeup is perfect, my hair is perfect and my outfit is perfect...because if its not...I'll feel dumb again lol

Thanks so much everyone
wavey.gif

Kiseki

What type of red lipstick have you tried? Blue Red or a more Orange Red? Sometimes only one type of red is flattering, which specific lipsticks have you tried using? What are the finishes?

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki
What type of red lipstick have you tried? Blue Red or a more Orange Red? Sometimes only one type of red is flattering, which specific lipsticks have you tried using? What are the finishes?

see...as much as I love makeup and want to be a makeup artist, I have NO idea. LoL I have no idea how to decipher if a red lipstick is blue or orange. And I know what you mean..but I don't "get it"
and as far as the finish? I guess you mean like shimmery, or glossy, or matte???? it was matte. it was a Revlon lipstick i saw halle berry wearing

DO I MAKE SENSE? lol i'm so clueless
lmao.gif

lipstick or gloss for very red lips?

As the title says!

I have very red full lips and i would like a nice lipstick or lipgloss that highlights them and makes them look bootiful!

I find however that most of them dissapear on me.

Im not into really really beige ones or anything bright red.

Many thanks ladies
smiles.gif

dollparts

Re: lipstick or gloss for very red lips?

I would suggest Mac's Sinnamon lustreglass... It's considered a beige, but it doesn't go on beige (more of a sheer nude) and it has amazing sparkles in it that compliment many lips I have seen!
Viva Glam VI lipglass is also very beautiful, and compliments every skin tone... it goes on a warm terracotta plum and has very nice sheen to it... =) hope this helps!!!!!!

Kuuipo

Re: lipstick or gloss for very red lips?

Nars has some amazing reds, one for every skin tone-Jungle Red,Congo Red,TransSiberian Express,TransEuropean Express,Shanghai Express,there is a blood red color,and a Spanish Red too. They have a thick lip laquer called Diablo.They have a number of red tube glosses as well.All of these reds are very strong on color.

coconut

Which Shades of Red Lipstick Make Your Teeth Appear White?

I have pretty white teeth, but I just got Seriously Rich Mattene lipstick (which is reddish-pink) and I swear it makes my teeth look slightly yellow. I seem to remember some rule about some shades of red making teeth look more white than others. Is it true reds that are whitening and red-pinks aren't? Thanks!

Girl about town

Re: Which Shades of Red Lipstick Make Your Teeth Appear White?

hi blue tinted reds make your teeth look super white and orange based ones make teeth look slightly yellow, i have ruby woo and russian red and my teeth are so white with them both xx

frocher

Re: Which Shades of Red Lipstick Make Your Teeth Appear White?

Yellow/orange shades of red make them appear more yellow. Blue based reds will make your teeth look more white

Latest posts