Red lipstick

Fairybelle

Re: Red Lipstick for NC20.

I am NC 25-30 (but at the moment, on the 25 side) and I love Queen's Sin and Viva Glam I!!!

lethaldesign

Re: Red Lipstick for NC20.

Try checking Classic Dame Mattene l/s as well
smiles.gif

KTB

Red lipstick for a beginner?

I see all the FOTDs here with red lips and they look so fabulous that I want to take the plunge. I just have no idea how
ssad.gif
We don't have a counter/store here or close by so 99% of my buying is done online.

If you were suggesting shades of red for a beginner like me what would you suggest? I'm an NW20/25 with blue eyes, strawberry blond hair and freckles
smiles.gif

Here's apic of me and my son to give you a better idea of what I look like (okay I guess it's not a better "idea" since it's a pic of me
cutey.gif
)
Photo_027_002-08copy.jpg

rouquinne

Re: Red lipstick for a beginner?

try something sheer first, like a lipgloss - maybe the Russian Red?

MACATTAK

I agree with the above post. Russian Red lipgloss is great, or for an even more subtle look, Dewy Jube lipgelee. I'm also an NW20, so when you are ready for more, do Russian Red lipstick with Russian Red lipgloss, or Dewy Jube lipgelee on top...it's love!

KTB

So Russian Red seems to be a pretty clear favourite
greengrin.gif
I'll check it out. And thanks for the suggestions of trying a lipglass first - I hadn't really thought of that.

iheartangE

You could also try a bunch of drugstore lipsticks first-I started that way, and it gave me a better idea of what I wanted. For example, if you pick up a cheapy red lipstick and find it's too dark, you know to look for a lighter red online. By the same token, if you find it's too orange or too brown, you can look for more of a blue-based red.

I hope that helps you! I have about five different red lipsticks and it took me a while to get it down so I wish you the best of luck!! And blue-based reds look great on everyone, so if all else fails, go with Ruby Woo or Russian Red from Mac
winks.gif
Hope that helps you!

Pixygirl

A few tips for wearing a red in any shade that have really helped me, before I start if I know I am going to be using a red on my self I like to exfoliate my lips that morning, I do mine in the shower but what ever you use i'm sure is fine, red likes to feather and bleed more then other shades. it will help alot to prime the lip, and use a concieler around your mouth and up in to the lip line so that some is actualy on your lip as well, sure you will look like a medical paitent for a sec but dont worry your going to cover them back up in a second. Then you want to line your lips, not something I do with all shades of lipstick but I find its fairly nessary with reds, after your lined add your lipstick if your going for a matte I put a good coverage on and then with a single ply of a tissue or square of toilet paper I place it over the lips to blot but also dust the other side of the tissue with set powder, and presto!

for glossy red well it can be tricky tends to get everywhere on everything you eat or all over your pearly whites if I am useing it for an all day look and not just a photo shoot, I like to use a long wear (dont use liners under the long wears it will cause them to not stay anywhere you have placed the liners) Put it on very carefuly and attentivly, you dont want any mistakes with red on your face, and if you want dramitic coverage put on a thin coat and wait a min or two then apply another instead of doing 1 thicker coat. Then when thats dry toss one of red glosses or lipglass or lusterglass or even a satin lipstick over the top and then after you drink your morning coffie you only have to touch up the top gloss coat all day and your base red will be fine.
th_wink3.gif

Do be weary of greesy or oily foods tho those are the long wears weakness.

KTB

Wow Pixygirl those are great tips!! Thank you so much, I'm getting much less afraid to wear red now
smiles.gif

Kuuipo

Pixygirl has some great tips. I never go without a liner . It keeps the lipstick off your teeth! Also, apply, blot, repeat a few times to concentrate the color. I use a brush so it gets really in all the crevices. I think Russian Red is not warm enough for your complexion . Try NARS Shanghai Express, its very flattering to warm skins. I also think you would look stunning in a deep nude red that is more sheer like Morroco or Spanish Red (NARS).

For blotting, I prefer paper towels-toilet paper sometimes falls apart and sticks to the lips and face blotting papers don't work here well.

MUFE (Makeup Forever) makes a good lipseal that keeps any lipstick that is not too greasy -on the whole day.

KTB

Kuuipo those are great tips too. I'll look at those NARS colours thanks
smiles.gif

Shadow

Your son is a cutie pie! I'm NW 20 and at the MAC store the SA recommended Lady Bug. It is a "wearable" red for day or night.

Latest posts