Red lipstick

nooeeyy

Re: Anyone else have a RED lipstick phobia? (And recs please!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye_pr0mise
i have a red lipstick phobia, i dont think i could pull it off.
ive never really tried it but ive been wanting to buy one to
try it out. but i dont wanna dish out the money on something
that im not too sure about /=

You dont have to dish out a lot of money. Catch Rite Aid drugstore when they have those Loreal and Revlon 30% or BYGO sells. which lately they have been having a lot of. you can pretty much get two different red lipsticks for the price of one. Revlon has a nice one called "True Red" and Loreal's HIP line has a nice red like lip gloss. Im not sure of the name though.

You would look great in red. but I'll tell you like a MUA told me when I was scarred to try red, you really just have to go for it. Dont be scarred.
thmbup.gif

contrabassoon

How about a red tinted lipglass or lustreglass? They're beautiful, but not super bright if that's what you're worried about. Venetian lustreglass and Russian Red Lipglass are good ones.

KTB

I had the same phobia but bit the bullet and bought LadyBug on reccomendation from here. While I've only worn it once (not sure I can pull off bright red lips teaching grade 8
greengrin.gif
) I felt amazing in it.

Girl about town

im nc25 nc30 I love read lipstick so much but i usually end up wiping it off, but i find russian red and ruby woo the best two reds they look amazing!!! total bombshell x

thewickedstyle

I loooove red lips. I am also NW20 with pink undertones. My go-to red is Dubonnet when I want all-out glamour, Here it is on me:
http://specktra.net/f166/my-first-red-lippie-81525/

Ladybug is sheerer and good for a day event. If you want to ease your way in, I wear Venetian lg as my day or work red.

I am more of a bold lip girl so I do a lot of neutral eyes. With red lips I like a light, shimmery eye like Vanilla, Phloof, Quick Frost piggie, UDs Polyester Bride, Stila's Moonlight, etc.

With other bold lips (bright pinks or fuchsias or plums), I like cool browns, taupes, and grays: Satin Taupe, Showstopper, Clue, pigments like Tan, Coco Beach, Subtle, Copperclast, Sweet Sienna etc.

I have dark eyes and I'm partial to purple and greens so I will use muted or mixed versions of those colors like Shale, the Inventive Quad, and Green Brown pigment, and UD Smog. Obviously you have to be subtle to do a neutral eye with color but it can be great with the right lips.

I hope that helps!

mena22787

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye_pr0mise
i have a red lipstick phobia, i dont think i could pull it off.
ive never really tried it but ive been wanting to buy one to
try it out. but i dont wanna dish out the money on something
that im not too sure about /=

ya, i have a really big bottom lip and a kinda thin upper lip, my lips are pretty much dumbb
angry.gif
. and reds, though i havn't tried in a while, look ridic on me. i suppose i'll eventually give them another try, but don't wanna dish out a lot...maybe i'll get a ma to help me someday...

Shimmer

Maybe try Boundless 3d Glass, or Urgent! (even though it's not a true 'red') slimshine?

User49

Red lips look so great with mariln style flick black eyeliner. I have been wearing red lips a lot lately! I used to be a bit afraid of it but now I can't get enough! My favorite combo at the mo is Brick Lipliner, Ruby Woo Lipstick and Totally It Lipgloss on top from Fafi. Ruby Woo is a dry one and if you hate the feel of dry lips then a lot of the red ones mac do might not work for you. Try Mac Red or Ruby Woo or Lady Bug
smiles.gif

lizardprincesa

smiles.gif
I'm not great with orangey-reds, but I do love blue-toned reds...I adore burgundies, as well. I *love* matte lippies!

I have dark brown eyes (which my grandpa used to say were black
smiles.gif
(I miss him so), & I have very pale skin (pinkish undertones, I guess), & black hair.

I was thinking...I don't follow rules very well
winks.gif
At times I have a strong urge to do up my eyes *and* my lips. I wouldn't call my lips very large, nor memorable, but they're kind of medium, well - mated upper & lower. I don't go for all-out flamboyant, not usually, but I have been known not to do a neutral lip, even if my eyes become Smoke and Fire. lol !

Since the untimely passing of a dear friend just over a year ago, whenever I feel timid about doing something which doesn't fit into a box, I think of him. He lived his Life to the fullest, was an actor/musician, who had lots of crazy costumes & makeup, which he did not only use in plays, but sometimes, simply for fun. He loved attention, but he gave more of it to others than he sought for himself.
(I love you,my dear friend, Brian, Forever & Always...)

...I've got on heavyish black eyeliner, several coats of mascara, & a matte "Aubergine" lipstick by Bourjois...I had no time to make my eyes more Dramatic, but I wish I had, as I have my friend in my mind so much these Days...(this week was the anniversary of his passing.)

I do not know how long I will be allowed to keep this Life...so I dare myself to do the things I dream, as long as they don't hurt anyone...

Enjoy trying out your reds
smiles.gif

xxxCherylFaith

Dani California

Oh yes, am very pale, and very scared of red!
lol.gif
I'd love to be able to wear it properly a la Gwen Stefani.......

However, one red gloss I've found that looks lovely on is Prescriptives Moonbeam gloss in Meteor - looks way scary in the tube, but a lovely sheer almost strawberry red on. Gorgeous colour.
thmbup.gif

thewickedstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani California
Oh yes, am very pale, and very scared of red!
lol.gif
I'd love to be able to wear it properly a la Gwen Stefani.......

It looks natural on her. When she started wearing pinky lips when Sweet Escape came out, she looked like a different person.

I'm pale also but I love red lippies. I do believe there's a shade for everyone.

Madonna

Red lipstick for NC40 asian

Hey dolls. I'm still on the prowl for that perfect red l/s. I tried the 206 shade from MUFE but it was a little too bright. Maybe I'm just not used to the red?? I'm an NC40 in the mineralize satinfinish. Anway, I'm sooo in love with NARS l/s right now, but I'm not sure which shade to go with. What are some of the reds that have worked for you?

iluvmac

Red lipstick for me?

Hi ladies! My MA tried Russian Red on me the other day, topped with Fanplastico lacquer, and he said it looked gorgeous! What do you think? I'm an NW20 in SFF, NW25 in Studio Fix, I've got dark brown hair and ochre (!!) eyes. Can you tell me which Mac red lipstick would be best for me? Not Port Red, I tried it and it looked awful...
angry.gif

Thanks heaps!
XXX & OOO

ItaliNicki

Re: Red lipstick for me?

Have you tried Dubonnet l/s. I got mine last week in a B2M haul and I love it. I'm a NC20. . . .

Girl about town

Try ruby woo its similar to russian red but more matt, im not convinced about lipgloss over red lipstick i like the retro matt look x

josie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl about town
Try ruby woo its similar to russian red but more matt, im not convinced about lipgloss over red lipstick i like the retro matt look x

I agree, and if not the matte look, I think a subtle shine. If you want the shine, try the Slimshines in maybe Grenadine (cool undertone) or Urgent! for a hot look.

aimee

i like new york apple lipstick its a frost
its more on the pinky than red side but im nw20 too and i dont like to wear straight up red lipsticks
check maccosmetics homepage for a swatch

stacylynne

I love russian red. I use it with the burgundy lip liner. Russian red is a blue red, which I love. I also use MAC red on occasion