Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2014! Who wants to play?

raych1984

Excellent! I have managed to shrink my Magnetic Nude wishlist, by looking at T's dupes list. I have decided that I don't need Sensual Sparks, as I have UD Naked 2 lipstick and Wholesome from Nudes and Metallics. I keep looking at Carnal Instinct, its quite close to Show All, which I already have! Carnal Instinct is just slightly more coppery, which may swing in its favor. Ah well, at least I've saved $15 dollars already, by shopping my own stash! This is fun!!

SleepingBeauty

Do you know that feeling when you're currently in a certain phase concerning your style of makeup? I wore lots of bronzer, a reddish lipstick, and lots of mascara today and now I'm feeling like this is the one and only look I'll be wearing in the future - which is crap because I know that won't happen.
However, right now in this moment I feel like I need to get rid of all my eyeshadows, not neutral blushes, and other stuff that's not compatible with the look. Also, I think I may need the bronzer from the RiRi collection now.
I feel like that quite often. I think it's because my stash is huge and I feel like there a things I'm not using often enough and neglect them, even though I want to share my love equally.
Gosh, I'm a nutcase.

Spikesmom

Do you know that feeling when you're currently in a certain phase concerning your style of makeup? I wore lots of bronzer, a reddish lipstick, and lots of mascara today and now I'm feeling like this is the one and only look I'll be wearing in the future - which is crap because I know that won't happen.
However, right now in this moment I feel like I need to get rid of all my eyeshadows, not neutral blushes, and other stuff that's not compatible with the look. Also, I think I may need the bronzer from the RiRi collection now.
I feel like that quite often. I think it's because my stash is huge and I feel like there a things I'm not using often enough and neglect them, even though I want to share my love equally.
Gosh, I'm a nutcase.
I know what you mean. Last week I wore the exact same look all week. I really kind of enjoyed the simplicity of it. I wondered what it would be like to get rid of everything else but then I figured I'd just go broke building up my stash again so that won't work lol!!

IHughes

I like to change my look every single day. I may wear more corals in the summer and more dark lippies in fall/winter but I try to use something different every single day. This makes me use all my makeup and it's more exciting!

BrinaBoo10

I definitely need support. I have spent hundreds of dollars on MAC and items from Sephora this year. I have to concentrate on my credit card debt the first half of 2014. I have some beautiful items that I need to actually wear! I am glad this is low-buy instead of no-buy. I don't want to set myself up for failure.

ma146rina

This makes me use all my makeup and it's more exciting!
yes me too! A good tip is to choose a different item every day and build a look around it.I do that with eyeshadow palettes,singles,lipsticks and blushes.I may stuck with a look for a while but fortunately i get bored easily,so i really enjoy the change.I suppose that is one of the reasons my collection grew so much,i like to use different stuff.I need to be reasonable though.I'm going to get only one blush from MN,probably At Dusk,and i'm really going to try NOT to get FP,i have too many highlighters and in the end of the day lots of them don't look much different from each other.
I

novocainedreams

I now know I really need this low-buy! I keep buying stuff even though I know I need to stop...but of course I tell myself I have until January 1st. I bought the violet lip bag from the holiday collection(which I have been wanting for a long time) plus prepare for pleasure, I never intended on buying from the holiday collection but I ended up with 3 lippies, a blush and the lip set(so four lipsticks actually)...and I wasn't planning on getting much if anything from Magnetic Nude(except maybe 1 skinfinish) but swatches always draw me in! And I forgot I bought a ton of lipsticks from an indie company and they are shipping finally...lipsticks and eyeshadows, my weakness.

But I am starting to define my goals now...roughly...these are ones I had last year as well, so I may change them depending on what I want to accomplish this year. If anyone is interested in how I work mine, here it is(I write it in my blog but I can't post a link).

As of January 1, 2014 I will not be allowed to buy any beauty related products, unless...

1. the product is an absolute essential (shampoo/conditioner, cleanser, deodorant...etc.) and I have run out.
2. I run out of a product and I have nothing else to replace it (ex: I run out of my current eyeshadow primer and I have no other primers in my collection)
3. I receive a gift card, money or am gifted makeup and therefore am not spending any of my own money on it. (which rarely happens lol, no one buys me makeup or gives me gc for places I can buy makeup haha) OR if I de-stash my current collection, I can add that towards something I want.
4. If I am in a place that I usually never go and has products that I am otherwise never able to get (ex: if i am traveling to another country or go to a store that is not available close to me).- I may say no to even this though, this year.
5. They are presents for others.

Although I am calling this a "No-Buy", I am making some exceptions for myself. These are rewards for myself for 1) following the no-buy, 2)following weekly goals, and 3) sticking to my 2014 resolutions.

1. Weekly Goals.

2. Blogging and Writing. One of my goals this year is to write more consistently, which also includes my blogging. I started this blog for many reasons, I love beauty products, for one but I also love fashion, art, photography, writing, etc. I consider all of these things as part of beauty, not just how we look but who we are inside. I want to push myself to do more. So for every blog post I will award myself $4. For other writing(essay, poem, story, etc) I will award myself $1 a page, so if I write a 3 page essay I will get $3, a poem, $1 and so on. A lot of people have been encouraging me to write more about my life, so hopefully this will encourage me to do more.

3. Art. This may sound like an odd goal, but art used to be a huge part of my life, and it's slowly taken a back seat to so many things. This year I am really hoping to get back into it. Painting, drawing, photography, sewing are all things I used to do consistently. So for every piece I do, or if I create something I will award myself $5.

5. Reading. Another part of my life that used to be huge and I let slip. I love to read but tend to do it in "spurts," meaning I will read voraciously for a week or two, a ton of books and then go back to nothing. I would like to be more consistent, because I love reading, I just tend to get side tracked. So for anything under 200 pages, $2, beween 200-500, $4 and over 500 pages, $6.

6. Empties.
It is great to finish a product, especially products you don't particularly care for that are just taking up space. Therefore, for any empty product I have, I will award myself $2 of makeup allowance.

7. Self-Control.
This is not really a reward, but a punishment. If I don't follow my no-buy, then I will get negative cash for whatever amount I spent. For example, if I buy a $10 product when I have no reward allowance to spend, then I will subtract double the amount I spent on my total reward allowance, in this case being -$20. This means my allowance will be in a negative number and I will have to work even harder to have money to spend on makeup the following weeks.

Last year I wanted to work towards buying a nice(but expensive) new laptop, this year I don't necessarily have any big goals. Primarily I would like to build up my savings account, and hopefully that will lead to a good vacation somewhere down the line. And paying off my credit, which, realistically, I can do in a couple months.

Sorry this was long, but I figured it might help someone, and it helps to lay it all out.

singer82

Oh yay I'm so glad this is here. I am so in! The end of the year is what gets me. In Jan I put away all my credit cards. I was doing pretty darn well, but get myself back in trouble when all the holiday sales start. I need to get rid of my credit card debt. And start saving money for other things in my life. This year an old co-worker died in a terrible car crash. She was 4 years younger than me (27)! She had so much life still ahead of her. It was def a wake up call. Life is too short. You never know what will happen. I've never had a real vacation in my life. I want to finally do one before we decide to have a baby. I'm 31 so the clock is ticking.

janette9687

i think t 3 item is a good start im try and do it as well, skipping would be a harsh reality i gotta fiend myself off, so far for the Magnetic Nudes i just have teh 2 new blushes and FP EDSF, i went down from 7 items yay!

KiKi Kontour

novacaine thats an EXCELLENT idea!! i agree on all those u listed and i write alot too lol. i normally like to write it out becuz it becomes more realistic for me to follow if i have a "to do" list starring back at me to be accountable for. i definitely need to save more. i have 2 big vacays to take next year and i just need to save n get my nordies and credit union cc's down as much as possible. i used my $20 sephora gc and im sure i'll indulge in there 20% off after xmas sale but my limit will be no more than $50 becuz i honestly dnt need shyt else. ever since this thread started i've actually been thinking of taken unopened stuff to give away to friends or just take em back to sephora to re-up on skin care products. that $32 stila foil shadow miiiiiight just be up on the chopping block. i just ran out of some origins night-a-mins lol.

FuuHouhouji

I has never understood the MAC SF. They look like big blushes to me. And i'm sure I would never finished one. So I always skip them. What is diferent about them? How you use them? They look to colorful for use all over face, so I don't get why they are not blushes o highlighters. I need some enlightment.

KiKi Kontour

I has never understood the MAC SF. They look like big blushes to me. And i'm sure I would never finished one. So I always skip them. What is diferent about them? How you use them? They look to colorful for use all over face, so I don't get why they are not blushes o highlighters. I need some enlightment.
are u talking bout the EDSF's? i have superb and whisper of guilt and use em as highlighters. u are correct...u will NEVER finish em until dinosaurs roam the earth wearing cowboy boots!! TO ME the only difference is the texture becuz u wont have the fall out the regular msf's kick up. the lighter less glittery ones u could use LIGHTLY all over for a glow. The regular SF's like sunpower i use to contour in the summer cuz its more of a bronzy-ish color on me.

Debbs

The thread police gonna get you, lol. Careful . Less Specktra time for me next year means less awareness and the less I know about the less I buy. You can't miss something that you never had, right ? Wrong, so very wrong smh. Can cause you double so its just having self control and finding the right balance . I plan to work on color coordination and blending, using eye multiple colors thus using up products much faster

SweetSweetIrony

I actually did very well this past year. Probably got $300, maybe $400 worth of products from Sephora, all for free. I use Swagbucks to get giftcards. So I think I shall only treat myself to new things when they're free lol.

Glitteryvegas

Two steps forward, three steps back.
Returned MUFE eyeliner ($30 back), purchased NYX dupe for $8
cheerleader.gif
I've never used MAC's or Sephora's return policy and I've used it twice in one week!

B2M for two ES (one for me, one for a friend)
yahoo.gif

Impulsively purchased an amazing new pair of glasses
icon_eek.gif

SIGH. 2014 can't come soon enough (Although I can't wait for Christmas!)

ETA: Looked at Magnetic Nude swatches. Thinking of only getting one SF. Looked at Amourous Alloy and thought hmmm.....nope!

PixieDancer

Lots of new posts and new ideas. Thanks everyone for sharing! 2browneyes and all the ladies considering the new MN collection, stay strong. Really try to decide if your stash is in need of more neutrals. As I know that's probably covered pretty well in most of our collections. Don't just buy for the formula. Make sure the colors are unique enough to be used. Look through your stash before placing an order just to make sure you're aware of what you have. You'd be surprised how similar all these shades actually translate on your face. These ED collections are coming out more often. So you'll always have more chances at the formula. I had 8 items on my original list and will cut to 3-4 items before this one is released! We can do this!!!

Deneb

I wanted 5 items, but I think I will get 2. I wanted Silver Dawn, but as Erin mentionned, these shadows are way too small and way too expensive. So I must pass. I also wanted both dark fluidlines, but I guess that Our Secret may be close enough to Eclair, so I will only get It's Physical. And I must choose one between the 2 EDSF's I was considering (Superb and the peachy one) ! I might end up without any...

Latest posts