Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2014! Who wants to play?

PixieDancer

I wanted 5 items, but I think I will get 2. I wanted Silver Dawn, but as Erin mentionned, these shadows are way too small and way too expensive. So I must pass. I also wanted both dark fluidlines, but I guess that Our Secret may be close enough to Eclair, so I will only get It's Physical. And I must choose one between the 2 EDSF's I was considering (Superb and the peachy one) ! I might end up without any...
I agree. To pay for these smaller EDES the color has to be super special & unique. Don't think it's quite there in these selections even though they seem very nice. Just also very dupable. Superb is a great choice of the 3 and is making multiple comebacks for a reason! I think if you want to try one, that's a good one! Not sure what skin color you are though. Seems a lot of darker NWs were disappointed in Superb.... Debbs could commit further on this. HTH

LinenWhite7

I actually did very well this past year. Probably got $300, maybe $400 worth of products from Sephora, all for free. I use Swagbucks to get giftcards. So I think I shall only treat myself to new things when they're free lol.
Can you tell me more about Swagbucks?
I wanted 5 items, but I think I will get 2. I wanted Silver Dawn, but as Erin mentionned, these shadows are way too small and way too expensive. So I must pass. I also wanted both dark fluidlines, but I guess that Our Secret may be close enough to Eclair, so I will only get It's Physical. And I must choose one between the 2 EDSF's I was considering (Superb and the peachy one) ! I might end up without any...
I don't think I need any of the lipsticks or lip glasses, or eyeshadows for the price. I would like to try a fluidline because I don't own a single gel eyeliner. I would also like one EDSF and possibly a blush but only if it is out of this world and not likes thing else I own. The Huggable lipsticks are drawing me in. I have to make sure I get only one or two and only colors they are unlike anything else I have.

Deneb

I agree. To pay for these smaller EDES the color has to be super special & unique. Don't think it's quite there in these selections even though they seem very nice. Just also very dupable. Superb is a great choice of the 3 and is making multiple comebacks for a reason! I think if you want to try one, that's a good one! Not sure what skin color you are though. Seems a lot of darker NWs were disappointed in Superb.... Debbs could commit further on this. HTH
Thank you ! I think I'm nc20, I will go and check them irl.

2browneyes

Pixie, you are right. I've decided that I'll only purchase 2 items from Magnetic Nudes. I've been doing good. All I ordered from RiRi Holiday was PB. I'm sticking to it with help from you all.

Kaori

So far none of Mac collections really drew me in, so I don't own any Mac products, so much money saved ;) I most of the time wait for discounts to buy anything and Mac never does them so yeah lol Well, couple time some things looked interesting, but they never post ingredient list =.=

Sylvia60

A great idea, a "LOW-BUY" 2014!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey C ...no more than 8-10 items in the entire year, including BTM lippies and replacement items like foundation. That means I can buy a very few items that I absolutely love, but nothing else. I need to work through my stash.
Great idea, Pixie. We need to keep each other strong.
grouphug2.gif

Yes, yes and yes.
My last buy included products I'll never use. I may never learn that what swatches beautifully on the hand may not work AT ALL on the eyes, so it's better to stop experimenting and use the magnificent products I have.

I myself was a blog sale addict, til I was burned by a shameless fraud (along with other Spectra members
angry.gif
)

It'll be easy to limit myself to 8-10 products in 2014.
I hope we can make it easier for others to do the same!

Brushes, though. That'll be a challenge.

SweetSweetIrony

Swagbucks? Tell me more.

Swagbucks is a 'search engine' site that also gives you points for various things. You then redeem those points for giftcards to a myriad of places. So you take surveys, complete special offers, watch videos, use the search engine etc and earn points.

It can take a tiny bit to get used to the site and how to get points, and yes it can be slow goings. But I have no life, so I'm basically on there all the time.

You can sign up here. www.swagbucks.com/refer/SweetSweetIrony

lyseD

I may be down to one item from MN but am liking some swatches of the Huggables.

My head knows that the Huggables I am attracted to are MLBB colours and that I have many, many of those. But my heart wants more MAC and 1 piddly lipstick from MN is not enough.

KiKi Kontour

grouphug2.gif

WE CAN DO THIS LAYDEEEEZ!!!

I got vice 1 n 2...I know dmn well I aint touch V2 since I've had it when it came out, V1 maaaybe twice and I love collecting UD palettes but im in noooo rush for NP3. im good on palettes/shadows. im gonna make sure I check in this thread when I have any urges becuz it'll be hard but to know I got thousands of dollars in makeup I dnt even phkn USE...
rants.gif
im getting mad just thinkin bout **logging AWF**

shellygrrl

Staff member
I hear you on the palette thing, KiKi. There's a new NARS eyeshadow palette coming out in the near future that's seriously tempting me, even though I have loads of similar colours in other palettes, and even though ready-made palettes are one thing I'm swearing off for this low-buy. :hug: Let's keep our resolve strong, yeah?

trina11225

grouphug2.gif

I got vice 1 n 2...I know dmn well I aint touch V2 since I've had it when it came out, V1 maaaybe twice and I love collecting UD palettes but im in noooo rush for NP3. im good on palettes/shadows. im gonna make sure I check in this thread when I have any urges becuz it'll be hard but to know I got thousands of dollars in makeup I dnt even phkn USE...
rants.gif
As long as i got a similar color or most likely a dupe, i will still feel like i'm in on the fun. Grr i hope so.

PixieDancer

grouphug2.gif

rants.gif
YES WE CAN!!!
friends.gif

Just look at it this way (in regards to your palette purchases) anytime you feel tempted to buy another you probably don;t need... pull out one of these! That way you resist buying another one that will make you feel defeated and the unloved ones will get some much-needed "face" time!! (pun intended!)
Use those goodies and resist the new temptations... that's what this is all about!

Quote: Originally Posted by shellygrrl

I hear you on the palette thing, KiKi. There's a new NARS eyeshadow palette coming out in the near future that's seriously tempting me, even though I have loads of similar colours in other palettes, and even though ready-made palettes are one thing I'm swearing off for this low-buy.

th_hug.gif
Let's keep our resolve strong, yeah?
YES!!! Stay strong! You've already acknowledged that you don't need it... so be happy that you can skip it! You've done all the mental work already! You will be going against your good sense by purchasing it. And that will inevitably lead to buyers remorse. You can do it!!!
pompom.gif
SKIP!

Serenityy

Definitely check out in person.... But I'm NC30/35 and I really like Superb. So, I think it's lovely on NC's at least! Try to limit yourself to one EDSF if you can! They are nice products but just remind yourself they are HIGHLIGHTERS... they aren't going to be THAT different from one another once you have a couple (including MSF's) in your stash. Stay strong and show that product all your love!
I'm struggling with this right now. I want both Magnetic Appeal and Fairly Precious when I know deep down I only need one. I am not sure which to choose. :(

PixieDancer

I'm struggling with this right now. I want both Magnetic Appeal and Fairly Precious when I know deep down I only need one. I am not sure which to choose. :(
Ok... that's what THIS thread is for! Think about your stash and your needs...
MA is going to be your golds like your Glorify or Double Def. FP is in that peachy/orange genre that seems to be popular. So that sort of color is going to keep coming back I think.
T has MA under the category "Most Easily Duped" and I think I agree.
So, that being said, decide if your collection has more Goldish highlighters or Peachy highlighters... and then choose the one you have less of IF you HAVE to get one! Superb you already have, and I think the hands down winner in this trio. So you're one step in the right direction that you already have that one!

Just to add, I had both of these new EDSF on my list too, and decided to skip MA. I'll be getting FP only. HTH

LinenWhite7

I have cut my list down and my Magnetic Nude is gonna just be one EDSF and one fluidline OR the silvery taupe eyeshadow. I am going to allow myself one Huggable, and I am going to make sure it is a really special color that is unique to my collection. That's still $66-$70! For 3 products! Ugh, that really seems unnecessary. What is so special about the EDSF? Will that formula be released again soon? I just got Adored MSF and Becca Rose Gold shimmering skin perfector, and I am getting the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder for Christmas. Seems like maybe I could play with those new items for a few months until the next time they release the EDSFs. Also, I have never used a Fluidline. I don't wear gel or liquid eyeliner because I have very hooded eyes. What are the different ways to use a Fluidline?

PixieDancer

Also, I have never used a Fluidline. I don't wear gel or liquid eyeliner because I have very hooded eyes. What are the different ways to use a Fluidline?
EDSF is just a newer formula that they released so people are still pretty hyped about them. They have had several collections with this formula now and I'm sure with their popularity they will continue to bring these products back. If you have Adored, you can probably safely skip FP since they are both in the "peachy highlighter" vein. I think Superb is very nice and I'm happy it's already in my collection but may or may not work for you based on your skintone. MA is pretty dupable IMO and a color/highlight shade we see alot. So, if you can skip them all.... do it! You have some really nice highlighters to play with in a great shade range! And that HG Ambient palette is so insanely awesome! They sort of put MAC MSF's to shame. So try to maybe skip these this time, and if you still feel like you're missing something in the "highlighter" genre next time they roll out the ED formula, I'm sure they'll have more nice shades for you to try. You could also try to snag a EDSF from the clearance bin or from a CCO at below retail to try the formula! I know a lot of people have been getting rid of the ones that didn't work for them (or backups) from prior releases.

Fluidlines are nice if you like gel liners. But if you don;t use gel liners as liners, as you mentioned, you may want to skip. I know some people use them as bases for eyeshadows, but I wouldn't buy one specifically for that purpose as there isn't a ton of product in the container for the cost. If you are looking for a nice eyeshadow base, look into a MAC paint pot. They are more bang for your buck and have a great shade range. IMO one of MAC's best products. But even then, you could go for a Maybelline Color Tattoo and save even more money, as many of their shades are very nice and a cheaper alternative to the MAC Paint pots.

HTH

LinenWhite7

EDSF is just a newer formula that they released so people are still pretty hyped about them. They have had several collections with this formula now and I'm sure with their popularity they will continue to bring these products back. If you have Adored, you can probably safely skip FP since they are both in the "peachy highlighter" vein. I think Superb is very nice and I'm happy it's already in my collection but may or may not work for you based on your skintone. MA is pretty dupable IMO and a color/highlight shade we see alot. So, if you can skip them all.... do it! You have some really nice highlighters to play with in a great shade range! And that HG Ambient palette is so insanely awesome! They sort of put MAC MSF's to shame. So try to maybe skip these this time, and if you still feel like you're missing something in the "highlighter" genre next time they roll out the ED formula, I'm sure they'll have more nice shades for you to try. You could also try to snag a EDSF from the clearance bin or from a CCO at below retail to try the formula! I know a lot of people have been getting rid of the ones that didn't work for them (or backups) from prior releases. Fluidlines are nice if you like gel liners. But if you don;t use gel liners as liners, as you mentioned, you may want to skip. I know some people use them as bases for eyeshadows, but I wouldn't buy one specifically for that purpose as there isn't a ton of product in the container for the cost. If you are looking for a nice eyeshadow base, look into a MAC paint pot. They are more bang for your buck and have a great shade range. IMO one of MAC's best products. But even then, you could go for a Maybelline Color Tattoo and save even more money, as many of their shades are very nice and a cheaper alternative to the MAC Paint pots. HTH
This really helps! I'm NW20. I think I can skip the fluid lines - if I got colored liners, I'd rather get the UD Black Market set that is on sale already. And I have a good selection of Maybelline Color Tattoos, Tarte smouldereyes, and other eyeshadow bases. I think I will look at Superb, but it seems like it would be in the same shade range as Mary Loumanizer from theBalm, which I have. Shoot, I may have just talked myself out of the entire Magnetic Nude collection! thanks @pixiedancer!

Latest posts