Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2014! Who wants to play?

nazih09

Which brush is this?
I would have to know a little more about your current brush stash to help you....
Oops it's by trish mcevoy. It's the mac 165 dupe. I currently have a real techniques contour brush, but I feel like that applies a sheer wash of color, and isn't tapered enough. I did manage to sell two mac brushes(109, 224) recently from my sale thread. I just have the 116 left to sell that I don't use.
http://delicatehummingbird.blogspot.com/2011/05/trish-mcevoy-brushes.html

PixieDancer

Oops it's by trish mcevoy. It's the mac 165 dupe. I currently have a real techniques contour brush, but I feel like that applies a sheer wash of color, and isn't tapered enough. I did manage to sell two mac brushes(109, 224) recently from my sale thread. I just have the 116 left to sell that I don't use.
http://delicatehummingbird.blogspot.com/2011/05/trish-mcevoy-brushes.html
With this new info I say go for it. It sounds like you did a good job purging some brushes from your stash that aren't used and that the 165 dupe is something you will use and a hole in your collection that will be filled with this purchase. Unlike makeup products, brushes are a little more "splurge-worthy"... with good care they will last a very long time!
I'm not sure how much the Trish McEvoy version is, but I have the Sigma dupe and use it a lot. It's not a high end brush, but definitely better than drugstore. So, if you wanted to save some money, you could go with the Sigma version!
Let us know how you like the brush if you go that route!

nazih09

With this new info I say go for it. It sounds like you did a good job purging some brushes from your stash that aren't used and that the 165 dupe is something you will use and a hole in your collection that will be filled with this purchase. Unlike makeup products, brushes are a little more "splurge-worthy"... with good care they will last a very long time!
I'm not sure how much the Trish McEvoy version is, but I have the Sigma dupe and use it a lot. It's not a high end brush, but definitely better than drugstore. So, if you wanted to save some money, you could go with the Sigma version!
Let us know how you like the brush if you go that route!
Thank you for the suggestion! I was looking at the sigma dupe also, but my last experience with the sigma face brushes have been mostly misses. I do love the E25 though. I think if I can get rid of my 116 I will allow myself the TM brush! :)

PixieDancer

Thank you for the suggestion! I was looking at the sigma dupe also, but my last experience with the sigma face brushes have been mostly misses. I do love the E25 though. I think if I can get rid of my 116 I will allow myself the TM brush! :)
THAT sounds like a great idea! Good Luck with your goal!

shellygrrl

Staff member
This sounds strange, but I've never had my skin tone matched. I don't wear foundation or cover up.  If I had to kind of guess, I would say NW just based on foundation swatches online (I look good in pink, coral, purple, and gold tones).   I think I might go in and swatch to double check what will look good on me.  I don't think I can do this one online! 
Definitely swatch. And get matched, while you're at it. Also, are there any specific shades of pink, coral, and purple that work for you? Using myself as an example: I look okay in more saturated, neutral-to-warm pinks, raspberry pinks, and more dusky pinks, but I don't suit all blue-based/cool-toned pinks or pastel pinks.

Deneb

Hey ! I've been to Mac the other day... Didn't buy anything lol !!! /Proud Just got my b2m.

keridabeenfabb

the idea frightens me so much
shockt.gif

with everything we all go through to get our mac products an LE everything and the possibilty of not getting what we want even if we dont need it
is going to be a hard job for me but with all you ladies help i can make better choices and save money and enjoy what i already have

PixieDancer

the idea frightens me so much
shockt.gif

with everything we all go through to get our mac products an LE everything and the possibilty of not getting what we want even if we dont need it
is going to be a hard job for me but with all you ladies help i can make better choices and save money and enjoy what i already have
I think we are all a little worried... that's why we are in this together. To have that accountability and support each other!
Consider what would be a realistic resolution for you and write it down here as soon as you feel you can commit to it. That way, you feel more confident that you stated your goal! And we will cheer you on all the way! We are glad you're here!!!

User38

Got job lady!!!! That's how it's done!!

I think we are all a little worried... that's why we are in this together. To have that accountability and support each other!
Consider what would be a realistic resolution for you and write it down here as soon as you feel you can commit to it. That way, you feel more confident that you stated your goal! And we will cheer you on all the way! We are glad you're here!!!
Good going.. that's how to do it. Just say no..

a word from Mr. W. Churchill: There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

and this was in reference to WWII --- so we keep things in perspective. Loss of life, limb and happiness is much more grave than not being able to purchase an LE lipstick.

life is fun and funny, we should enjoy it and put things into perspective.

sigh.gif

Glitteryvegas

Also, are there any specific shades of pink, coral, and purple that work for you? Using myself as an example: I look okay in more saturated, neutral-to-warm pinks, raspberry pinks, and more dusky pinks, but I don't suit all blue-based/cool-toned pinks or pastel pinks.
Good idea about getting matched. It would make purchasing online easier and I could understand the posts on specktra more. lol!

I tend to wear all shades of those colours often, but I find that light pinks, gold toned corals (not too orange), and all shades of purple (deep, light, etc) look great. Maybe I need to improve my colour theory lol & get back to you!

Glitteryvegas

Today I went to MAC to ask about the MN collection release. She convinced me to sign up for their event ie: makeover while I was there, even though I kept saying that I don't have money to purchase many things. Now I have to cancel the appointment because honestly, I want to get my ish and get out on boxing day. I don't need to be at the mall and be tempted - I want to get home and spend time with my husband who doesn't have much time off this year. I only want CI lipstick and a skinfinish.

mommyluvsmac

I'm definitely gonna try this low buy thing out!! U girls just don't know how much of my makeup I don't use!! At the the time that I buy it I think I'm gonna use it but it just ends up collecting dust lol. I DID GET ALL THE RIRI LIPPIES, BUT I REALLY DON'T WEAR THEM ALL THE TIME SMH!! I went through all that hell to barely wear TTT bc for me it's not an everyday color....

Knope2012

I'm happy to suggest some unique work safe colors, and to take some of the bright bold non-work-appropriate colors off of your hands.
That sounds great! Just give me a few weeks since I'm in the process of moving and I'll let you know when I'm settled

Knope2012

I've been MIA for a week, as it was my last full week at work (I finish tomorrow!), I've been prepping stuff to go back to University in January, and I just signed a lease and I'm moving in less than 2 weeks! Thanks to being insanely busy, I haven't bought any beauty items. I have found some ways I can cut down, though. I've been using the Korres Sleeping Masks as a night moisturizer, but I've found I like the First Aid Repair Cream better, and it's much cheaper. I still may pick up some Real Techniques brushes with my Christmas money, but I'm also eyeing a new Winter coat, and that's more important. I'm so glad we have this thread!

moonzie

Hey everybody, I'm not the most frequent poster, but I've been around Specktra for a little while to learn about new collections/see what people think about products. As much as I love makeup, spending all this money on stuff I barely use on a day-to-day basis is ridiculous, and I need to refocus my finances to have more room for saving money and having extra dough to be able go out and do things that I want/need to do. I will also be participating in this initiative, but I'll be on the conservative end of the spectrum. Over the past few years, I've done a much better job at putting together a collection that flatters my face well, so I don't feel the need to get a bunch of neutrals anymore since I have more than enough for one person. I also have so, so many brights and fun colors to break out when I can, so it's not really necessary for me to freak out over fuchsias/magentas/corals/oranges/reds/plums/purples etc. that have minute differences from the ones that have been released previously either. Because I have so much to choose from, I'm going to be limiting myself to 1-2 new color products a month, and I won't be differentiating between permanent and limited edition. New is new, and that's that! Honestly, I'd prefer the number to be zero, but we'll see how that goes since it's better to be realistic. I won't be including refills of products I own since the only things I tend to buy again are skincare, but hopefully I'll be going through things like foundation/primer more quickly and will only need to re-buy things like that.

I buy makeup to distract myself from stressful situations, and I'm over it. It's time for me to focus on healthy solutions for stress like exercise, time management, changing up my eating habits, and spending time with family and friends since these options are the ones that will actually make me feel better in life. There are a lot of big changes that are most likely going to be happening in my life within the next year, and I want to feel equipped to approach them instead of wondering where all this money is disappearing and getting annoyed that I can't seem to get a grip on saving any freaking money!

I want to thank PixieDancer for creating this thread, and I hope everyone is successful in meeting their goals. Seeing people's suggestions have already given me many practical ways to change my behavior and get rid of spending inspiration. I'm leaving for a two-week vacation on Tuesday, and I'm going to be taking a break from reading makeup/nail polish/lifestyle blogs during that time. I need to stop getting exposed to all the new products that are coming out, and I think not reading about them and looking at lovely product/swatch/full face photographs would do a lot of good in getting me to lose interest and keep my money. Over time, I'd like to reach a point where I can check out my favorite blogs for fun but not always feel like it's the final check on my list to convince me that I need to go out and get something as soon as I can.

I hope everyone enjoys their holiday season, and I'll be checking in periodically!

mommyluvsmac

Hey everybody, I'm not the most frequent poster, but I've been around Specktra for a little while to learn about new collections/see what people think about products. As much as I love makeup, spending all this money on stuff I barely use on a day-to-day basis is ridiculous, and I need to refocus my finances to have more room for saving money and having extra dough to be able go out and do things that I want/need to do. I will also be participating in this initiative, but I'll be on the conservative end of the spectrum. Over the past few years, I've done a much better job at putting together a collection that flatters my face well, so I don't feel the need to get a bunch of neutrals anymore since I have more than enough for one person. I also have so, so many brights and fun colors to break out when I can, so it's not really necessary for me to freak out over fuchsias/magentas/corals/oranges/reds/plums/purples etc. that have minute differences from the ones that have been released previously either. Because I have so much to choose from, I'm going to be limiting myself to 1-2 new color products a month, and I won't be differentiating between permanent and limited edition. New is new, and that's that! Honestly, I'd prefer the number to be zero, but we'll see how that goes since it's better to be realistic. I won't be including refills of products I own since the only things I tend to buy again are skincare, but hopefully I'll be going through things like foundation/primer more quickly and will only need to re-buy things like that.  I buy makeup to distract myself from stressful situations, and I'm over it. It's time for me to focus on healthy solutions for stress like exercise, time management, changing up my eating habits, and spending time with family and friends since these options are the ones that will actually make me feel better in life. There are a lot of big changes that are most likely going to be happening in my life within the next year, and I want to feel equipped to approach them instead of wondering where all this money is disappearing and getting annoyed that I can't seem to get a grip on saving any freaking money!  I want to thank PixieDancer for creating this thread, and I hope everyone is successful in meeting their goals. Seeing people's suggestions have already given me many practical ways to change my behavior and get rid of spending inspiration. I'm leaving for a two-week vacation on Tuesday, and I'm going to be taking a break from reading makeup/nail polish/lifestyle blogs during that time. I need to stop getting exposed to all the new products that are coming out, and I think not reading about them and looking at lovely product/swatch/full face photographs would do a lot of good in getting me to lose interest and keep my money. Over time, I'd like to reach a point where I can check out my favorite blogs for fun but not always feel like it's the final check on my list to convince me that I need to go out and get something as soon as I can.  I hope everyone enjoys their holiday season, and I'll be checking in periodically! 
This is probably the deepest comment to me. Very well written. I too spend on makeup and other things due to stress or just bc. This year I will be focusing more time on my health and fitness....my hubby bought a keurig for me for Christmas so I will be making healthy herbal teas with that. Also I will be doing some healthy free activities with my children like taking walks and playing outside. Happy Holidays to everyone and I hope u all got u wanted:)

User38

Moonzie, hang tough and hang tight.. and keep your focus. You will be fine! Enjoy your family and the holidays.
bouquet.gif

I so agree Mommy. Life has it's major priorities -- we should not lose sight of them.

PixieDancer

heart.gif
What a fabulous page of posts!
heart.gif
I love how open we all have gotten with each other about our "struggles" and "issues" with makeup, finances, prioritizing, etc. Having a place were you feel understood, un-judged, and appreciated for your efforts is so vital to all our individual success! I'm proud of our group!
th_kiss.gif

Keep those beautiful chins up and face this New Year with a sense of motivation!
santa.gif
Happy Holidays my dears!!
th_thb5ed765e.gif

SweetSweetIrony

I just signed up through your link. I'm confused though. I got 30 swagbucks for signing up, completing my profile etc... I clicked a link to get 2 swagbucks for watching a video but after I watched the video I still had 30. Am I missing a step?

Back on topic... I think I've talked myself out of the entire MN collection!! At this point I'm only interested in Autoerotique blush and A Quiet Roar l/g. I really don't need a blush or a lipgloss but I've never tried this blush formula and I can back to mac for the lipglass. I think I will probably be able to totally skip though and not lose sleep, yay!!!!
Depends, if it was a video from the main page, those can take a few minutes to show up sometimes. Other times you may need to click a link after the video to be awarded points.

If you go to WATCH at the top of the screen there are multiple categories of videos you can watch for points. You watch 10 videos for 3 points, which sounds time consuming, except the video is "counted" after roughly 20-40 seconds. So those 10 videos take only 3-4 minutes of time. I usually just click the video, go back to what I was doing and then click the next one after a few seconds and repeat.

You can also find surveys, special offers and what not. I've gotten medication discount cards, coupon sites for saving money, free sample websites etc.

raych1984

I'm going to give myself a pat on the back for avoiding temptation in the Sephora sale! They have loads of Tarte items in it, and I filled up my cart, only to remember that I have to pay for my items from MN and PC, which I want way more!!

Go me!
encore.gif