Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2014! Who wants to play?

charlotte366

Went into town at lunch time and managed to avoid buying anything beauty related! RESULT!! I am however debating a rebecca minkoff bag I really like at 45% off, struggling to pull the trigger on the debit card and pay for it! I am not buying clothes in the sale as trying to loose some weight at the moment so clothes would be a waste of money, a bag however would be a good investment piece.....

makeba

Wow this thread is really picking up speed. I love this! I ventured off into the estee lauder booth and walked away with two double wear foundations so you know that was a grip. I wanted to try something new so I was pleased with their foundations. I have to mix them a bit to get the right tone but I like the look and finish. I have not purchased any shadows and only two lippies from the riri collection. I will only buy one lipstick from the punk collection then I can post all types of goodies for the low low sale. Heck maybe I will call it the Low Low sale post

NaomiH

Just saw this and thought this thread is a good place to share:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alannaokun/makeup-truths

Made me chuckle a few times :)
girlhaha.gif

MakeupForMommy

I actually did very well this past year. Probably got $300, maybe $400 worth of products from Sephora, all for free. I use Swagbucks to get giftcards. So I think I shall only treat myself to new things when they're free lol.
i havent tried swag bucks but ive been faithful to shopkick . but even with all the gift cards i received i spent them all on make up. so im thinking of using my gift cards for other things that i need/want that aren't make up related since i seem to neglect them for every new collection that comes out.
soe new jeans and shoes would be nice. im tired of walking around with a full face and nothing to wear.

my goal is to go on a no buy after Magnetic Nude and Punk Couture until Maleficent.

LinenWhite7

Ladies, I need a little help. A friend of mine is a MA at MAC. She's also on Specktra and a makeup lover. She and I have been chatting about the upcoming Magnetic Nude launch and she went ahead and made me an appointment for Saturday. I feel like I should cancel it because I don't want to be obligated to spend $50. In fact, I'm not sure I want to buy anything from the collection. I have 5 highlighters and I just got the Hourglass palette… I might be interested in one EDSF, but that's it. I was eyeing an eyeshadow but not for $20. There are a few permanent single shadows I might want. I'm sure I could easily get a total of $50, especially if the Huggable lipsticks are in (I'm allowing myself one). Would you keep the appointment or cancel?

Kaori

Ladies, I need a little help. A friend of mine is a MA at MAC. She's also on Specktra and a makeup lover. She and I have been chatting about the upcoming Magnetic Nude launch and she went ahead and made me an appointment for Saturday. I feel like I should cancel it because I don't want to be obligated to spend $50. In fact, I'm not sure I want to buy anything from the collection. I have 5 highlighters and I just got the Hourglass palette… I might be interested in one EDSF, but that's it. I was eyeing an eyeshadow but not for $20. There are a few permanent single shadows I might want. I'm sure I could easily get a total of $50, especially if the Huggable lipsticks are in (I'm allowing myself one). Would you keep the appointment or cancel?
Cancel, or you will end up,not with 50$ purchase, but with 100$ purchase, because you will fall in love with more stuff when you see it ;)

LinenWhite7

Thanks. I talked it over with my husband and I think it's going to be fine for me to keep my appointment and get one thing from each collection as well as one or two permanent eyeshadows pans and call it a day. That is still very low-buy for me!

User38

Putting on my econ professor cap:

If a cosmetic product costs you $ 20, and you wear it ten times a year, what is the actual cost of the product on a per diem basis?

If a cosmetic product costs you $ 100, and you wear it 20 times a year, what is the actual cost of the the product on a per diem basis?

If you make $ 40K per annum (gross) and spend $ 5K plus taxes on your makeup/beauty, what percentage of your income are you spending on products?

how much should you allocate for beauty purchases? How much of your income p.a. are you saving? How much inventory on hand do you have (products you hardly use).

these are all questions you should ask yourselves when making a purchase.

you should not take into account how much pleasure you derive from wearing a new lipstick.. this is purely a bean counting experience.
hatsoff.gif

keridabeenfabb

hey im a little confused.....because u made a appointment at mac u have to purchase something??

BreeMakeupGeek

This is probably the deepest comment to me. Very well written. I too spend on makeup and other things due to stress or just bc. This year I will be focusing more time on my health and fitness....my hubby bought a keurig for me for Christmas so I will be making healthy herbal teas with that. Also I will be doing some healthy free activities with my children like taking walks and playing outside. Happy Holidays to everyone and I hope u all got u wanted:)
So true when I got into fitness/weight loss I transferred my addiction from unhealthy eating to purchasing cosmetics. ..lipsticks, I make every excuse so I can justify my lipstick purchases, right now I'm fighting the urge to purchase 3 lipsticks. I'm doing as much as I can in my downtime, keeping myself busy & reading. Happy holidays specktrette :)

aradhana

hey im a little confused.....because u made a appointment at mac u have to purchase something??
usually when you make an appointment to have your makeup done, they expect you to buy $50 worth of products. if you just walk in and ask them/they offer to apply makeup on you (e.g. show you an eyeshadow, blush, whatnot) there isn't necessarily an expectation to buy. the appointments generally involve much more time of the sales assistants to be dedicated to the customer.

bvenice1920

i havent tried swag bucks but ive been faithful to shopkick . but even with all the gift cards i received i spent them all on make up. so im thinking of using my gift cards for other things that i need/want that aren't make up related since i seem to neglect them for every new collection that comes out.
soe new jeans and shoes would be nice. im tired of walking around with a full face and nothing to wear.

my goal is to go on a no buy after Magnetic Nude and Punk Couture until Maleficent.
I am right there with you @MakeupForMommy you and @blushAHOLIC we must stick to the no buy!!!! after MN and PC

Ajigglin

Cancel.

IHughes

Yeah I'd probably cancel, it'll be difficult to resist, and you're at the beginning of your low buy commitment so it would be a pity to spend 50 dollars already. You don't seem to be that interested in the collection anyway, think further down the line in 2014 when you're looking at a new more interesting collection. You'll still have to resist but you'll regret having spent those 50 dollars when you weren't that interested.

Glitteryvegas

Canceled my MAC appt - Woo Hoo!

Rec'd my Lit Cosmetics glitter - WOW! She included a freebie adhesive too! Awesome. Really, really happy with their customer service.
pompom.gif
They are having a Boxing Day sale too, so I might indulge in that. For about $65 CND, I can get like 8 glitters (w/tax and shipping). Sweettttt! Have to think about it though.

Glitteryvegas

I had a similar issue except our MAC is doing a free event - makeover and no obligation to buy. My problem is I'm so tempted at events like this - I get in over my head a bit and make rash decisions. I guess it depends if you can have a firm grip on what you want to purchase and only stick to that. I decided to cancel to resist temptation. If you aren't that excited about this collection, can't you just go in any time and get a makeover done (for a collection that you're excited about?) for the $50?