Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2014! Who wants to play?

NaomiH

Elegant is definitely a dangerous person to be in a forum with when you're trying to cut back, she has such a good eye and before you know it you find yourself tracking things down. lol

RayRay88

I haven't gotten lucky w a MAC foundation either... but their concealers are the best I've tried so far!  I have never had a problem with these MAC concealers breaking down any foundation I've used with them yet... And I am all over the place testing different foundations trying to find one I really like! So I think you're safe to at least give them a try. And the Studio Finish lasts FOREVERRRRRRRrrrrrrr since it's so concentrated! So it's a great value for a concealer IMO. You're very welcome doll! TRUST ME.... I needed this just as bad as anyone! I'm glad to have a support system! We are one great little group here!!
I stopped by my local MAC counter today and got samples of both the Studio Finish and Pro Longwear concealers, I can't wait to try them out! Unfortunately, I also caved and picked up their last 128 brush.. . But it could've been muuuch worse and I've been looking for a brush to use specifically with the EDSFs and MSFs. I really want Snob and Vegas Volt for spring now too though! sigh I'm also planning on returning the Estee Lauder foundation I more or less bought on impulse last week, whoops! On a good note I started a savings this month so Yay for that!

thefbomb

So I got my credit card bill from dec 11 2013- jan 10, 2014. I knew I spent a pretty penny on makeup this month (especially because I'm really getting into MAC) but I don't think I thought it was this much though I still don't think my amounts are that bad. I spent the most ever on makeup on IMATS this past November but with the deals that's obvious. So from that time period dec 11 to jan 10 I have spent $195.49 at MAC (I like to tell myself that at least that was on 9 products so not THAT bad) and $80.23 at Sephora (purchased the Naked 3 for about $50CAD and 2 of the Boxing Day deals). So that's a total of $275.72 Back in November I attended IMATS and probably spent about $300. So in the past few months I've spent about $600. Really opens my eyes. I need to stay disciplined, I'm only buying LE items that I really like and I'm really going to try to whittle it down

thefbomb

I loooveee SF Concealer, but the FC Foundation is so cakey on my skin. It settles weirdly in my pores, which the SF does not :/
Oh wow, I'm paranoid so I'd be freaked especially living in the middle of no where. Hopefully it was just an animal after all even if it sounded like a person or hopefully you spooked them and they won't come back.

thefbomb

Oh my gosh...how scary. :( Do you live alone? Was the light on due to a motion detector? Could an animal have triggered it? We're more worried about you than your makeup - be aware and careful. Stay inside and call the police if you even think someone might be out there.
^this! Stay safe hun! If you feel worried and encounter this again it's better to be safe than sorry. Your well being is of the most importance. I hope no one bothers you!

PixieDancer

Now Elegant has some of the NARS pinks up.. lol. I might have to ignore her
heart.gif
tease.gif

just kidding.. she is adorable
friends.gif
and can sure pick winners!
She sure is! And she SURE CAN! She has never recommended a product that fell short for me. Without her, there would be Holy Grail holes in my collection for sure! That's why she's so darn dangerous! When you're good, you're good! I love that woman!!

Quote: Originally Posted by thefbomb

So I got my credit card bill from dec 11 2013- jan 10, 2014. I knew I spent a pretty penny on makeup this month (especially because I'm really getting into MAC) but I don't think I thought it was this much though I still don't think my amounts are that bad. I spent the most ever on makeup on IMATS this past November but with the deals that's obvious.

So from that time period dec 11 to jan 10 I have spent $195.49 at MAC (I like to tell myself that at least that was on 9 products so not THAT bad) and $80.23 at Sephora (purchased the Naked 3 for about $50CAD and 2 of the Boxing Day deals). So that's a total of $275.72

Back in November I attended IMATS and probably spent about $300. So in the past few months I've spent about $600. Really opens my eyes.

I need to stay disciplined, I'm only buying LE items that I really like and I'm really going to try to whittle it down
That's not the worst total I've seen (looks at my own bill) but definitely use it as motivation to cut down the next couple of months so you stay on track to meet your goals. It's hard to resist "savings" and "sales" sometimes... but remember what HerGreyness told us... cosmetic markup is SO high! So a sale isn't really a sale. It just means we are REALLY getting raked when we pay full price! Try not to use a sale as a reason to hoard & haul. Use it as an opportunity to get things you know you'll use ONLY!! The big thing for me this year is NO COLLECTING MAKEUP! If you buy it, use it. So I don't need as much considering the things I bought last year that are now collecting... collecting DUST!
I know you can do this thefbomb!!!!

thefbomb

That's what we're here for doll!! #TeamLowBuy You can do it!! She sure is! And she SURE CAN! She has never recommended a product that fell short for me. Without her, there would be Holy Grail holes in my collection for sure! That's why she's so darn dangerous! When you're good, you're good! I love that woman!! That's not the worst total I've seen (looks at my own bill) but definitely use it as motivation to cut down the next couple of months so you stay on track to meet your goals. It's hard to resist "savings" and "sales" sometimes... but remember what HerGreyness told us... cosmetic markup is SO high! So a sale isn't really a sale. It just means we are REALLY getting raked when we pay full price! Try not to use a sale as a reason to hoard & haul. Use it as an opportunity to get things you know you'll use ONLY!! The big thing for me this year is NO COLLECTING MAKEUP! If you buy it, use it. So I don't need as much considering the things I bought last year that are now collecting... collecting DUST! I know you can do this thefbomb!!!!
Great point about sales. I mostly just buy lipsticks from MAC so I'm going to try not to buy any permanent ones and just b2m for it if anything, I know I'll buy some LE ones as well as maybe fluidlines and blushes but I'm going to try to be really tough and just get what I love and will actually use

shellygrrl

Staff member
I DID purchase an organizer and some sifters for some powders I want to use but rarely do because they are so messy.  That's ok right guys?  It's not makeup.. it's ORGANIZING, so I can see/use the stuff I already have.  :haha:
Definitely okay, IMO!

veronikawithak

Quote: Originally Posted by PixieDancer

That's not the worst total I've seen (looks at my own bill) but definitely use it as motivation to cut down the next couple of months so you stay on track to meet your goals. It's hard to resist "savings" and "sales" sometimes... but remember what HerGreyness told us... cosmetic markup is SO high! So a sale isn't really a sale. It just means we are REALLY getting raked when we pay full price! Try not to use a sale as a reason to hoard & haul. Use it as an opportunity to get things you know you'll use ONLY!! The big thing for me this year is NO COLLECTING MAKEUP! If you buy it, use it. So I don't need as much considering the things I bought last year that are now collecting... collecting DUST!
I know you can do this thefbomb!!!!

Collecting dust is right! I was thinking today that with a collection of 15 blushes you could go a whole month only wearing each shade twice.. And that if it took you a year of regular use to finish a blush, you'd have enough to last you 15 years.. I definitely couldn't commit to a set of makeup for that long! Yet I feel duped by cosmetic companies for buying a bunch of colors and barely putting a dent in them. What can you do if you like to change things up all the time? In a perfect world makeup would all come in mini sizes and reasonable prices that we could rotate through!
amuse.gif

PixieDancer

Collecting dust is right! I was thinking today that with a collection of 15 blushes you could go a whole month only wearing each shade twice.. And that if it took you a year of regular use to finish a blush, you'd have enough to last you 15 years.. I definitely couldn't commit to a set of makeup for that long! Yet I feel duped by cosmetic companies for buying a bunch of colors and barely putting a dent in them. What can you do if you like to change things up all the time? In a perfect world makeup would all come in mini sizes and reasonable prices that we could rotate through!
amuse.gif
Oh I know exactly how you feel! How can any product be that unique once your collection (of dust bunny covered makeup) is as massive as most of ours is (or is quickly becoming)!? How many coral blushes do I need? Or fuchsia lipsticks? It's overwhelming. And you can't really get to a point where you actually fall in love with any of it without feeling guilty that other stuff is being neglected. For example, right now I am loving my OFP Huggable lipstick. It's my new baby, and I've worn it almost every day this week since I got it. As much as I'm happy that I like it so much, I've actually found myself feeling guilty for not touching other unused lipsticks I meant to try this week! If I hadn't gone so hog-wild buying all these new lipsticks, I could be enjoying this new one I like without the guilt! It really needs to be put into perspective. I do NOT need to COLLECT makeup! And that's precisely what I've been doing!

One of the things I tried lately is I selected a smaller stash of makeup I called my "if I could only keep enough makeup to fill this bag would I be able to survive" bag...
And I ONLY used the contents of this bag everyday for the last month. Honestly, I never once felt like I was missing something. Like I could look WAY better if I had another, different lipstick to wear, etc. Obviously, I love having a HUGE selection of makeup. But the test was to see if I could function with a minimized collection. Having the discipline to only use a tiny fraction of my stash helped me understand that having SO MUCH sometimes just gets overwhelming. Digging through tons of eyeshadow palettes ends up making me feel confused and unfocused. Having only 1 palette to use actually forced me to think outside the box to create different looks and was actually quite liberating. It's nice to know that I can enjoy makeup even if I'm not drowning in it. That was the point of the exercise. To determine if being without a massive selection, could I still enjoy my love of makeup. Is the size of your stash somehow more of an obsession with "STUFF" or stuff you actually love for each piece? I'm happy with what I've learned. I think I'm going to switch out all the products and try it again next month.

Audrey C

Oh I know exactly how you feel! How can any product be that unique once your collection (of dust bunny covered makeup) is as massive as most of ours is (or is quickly becoming)!? How many coral blushes do I need? Or fuchsia lipsticks? It's overwhelming. And you can't really get to a point where you actually fall in love with any of it without feeling guilty that other stuff is being neglected.

It really needs to be put into perspective. I do NOT need to COLLECT makeup! And that's precisely what I've been doing!
Ain't that the truth! Unlike most, I LOVE finishing products up even when they're LE. It just reaffirms to me what a good purchase it was. Even if it's a colour I really liked, it just gives me the opportunity to shift to something else in my stash. I like keeping my lippie count down in the mid-20s because then I actually finish a few of them each year.

I have a bunch of neutral blush that I wear a lot in the winter. My favourites are Douceur and A Perfect Cheek. Because of that, I NEVER use my Blushbaby or Prism, both of which are also flattering. I hit pan on Douceur a couple of months ago (after about 14 months of use) and I'm sure I'll finish it in the next few months. A Perfect Cheek now has a visible dip. I can't wait to finish Douceur so that I can go back and start making a dent in BB and Prism; I'm not going to rush out to replace it. Launch Away has a good sized dip - I won't be sad when I finish it, because then I can have fun choosing an updated version and enjoy it instead of feeling like an organized hoarder.

VAL4M

I had a horrible week, like worst ever!!! (I spare the details) soooo beauty encounter had a 25% off discount so I purchase a perfume Ambre des merveilles from Hermes. (Smell divine) so my first this is my first purchase I "shouldn't" have. :( 82$ down, (it is a great discount tho for that bottle of perfume). I told myself I would not buy anything else this month, one purchase a month it is ok right??? (no need to answer in my little head it is already approved :p ) LOL

veronikawithak

Oh I know exactly how you feel! How can any product be that unique once your collection (of dust bunny covered makeup) is as massive as most of ours is (or is quickly becoming)!? How many coral blushes do I need? Or fuchsia lipsticks? It's overwhelming. And you can't really get to a point where you actually fall in love with any of it without feeling guilty that other stuff is being neglected. For example, right now I am loving my OFP Huggable lipstick. It's my new baby, and I've worn it almost every day this week since I got it. As much as I'm happy that I like it so much, I've actually found myself feeling guilty for not touching other unused lipsticks I meant to try this week! If I hadn't gone so hog-wild buying all these new lipsticks, I could be enjoying this new one I like without the guilt! It really needs to be put into perspective. I do NOT need to COLLECT makeup! And that's precisely what I've been doing!

One of the things I tried lately is I selected a smaller stash of makeup I called my "if I could only keep enough makeup to fill this bag would I be able to survive" bag...
And I ONLY used the contents of this bag everyday for the last month. Honestly, I never once felt like I was missing something. Like I could look WAY better if I had another, different lipstick to wear, etc. Obviously, I love having a HUGE selection of makeup. But the test was to see if I could function with a minimized collection. Having the discipline to only use a tiny fraction of my stash helped me understand that having SO MUCH sometimes just gets overwhelming. Digging through tons of eyeshadow palettes ends up making me feel confused and unfocused. Having only 1 palette to use actually forced me to think outside the box to create different looks and was actually quite liberating. It's nice to know that I can enjoy makeup even if I'm not drowning in it. That was the point of the exercise. To determine if being without a massive selection, could I still enjoy my love of makeup. Is the size of your stash somehow more of an obsession with "STUFF" or stuff you actually love for each piece? I'm happy with what I've learned. I think I'm going to switch out all the products and try it again next month.
I love the weekly/monthly bags. Such a great idea and you're so right about it pushing you to be more creative.. I've started keeping track of the combinations of products I use and I rate them on a scale of 1-10 how good I think they look on me. If a product is continually included in combinations that get low scores even if I switch up the other products I use it with, maybe that product isn't my color/formula? If so, why do I have it? I'm currently following the "use it up" thread and working on finishing up one of each category of my products which is working well so far but I feel like I'm going to get overwhelmed when I realize how long it's going to take me to finish them.. I also like the idea of a "packing party": you put away EVERYTHING in your collection out of sight, and when you think of something you want to use that day, you grab it. If you don't grab it out of your box to use within a certain period of time (1 month or 1 year or whatever works for you), maybe you don't really need it? If you don't even remember you have it.. you can't love it THAT much right? I got the idea from this site: http://www.theminimalists.com/21days/ which I absolutely love reading. It helps me keep all my purchasing and possessions in check. It's a little extreme and definitely wouldn't work for everyone but it's a fun idea. :)

kerry-jane88

I've not slowed down on my beauty purchasing yet this month, I've bought a few things on sale and managed to snag some bits on ebay I've wanted. I have been selling and giving away and even throwing out! Some of my stash so now it's a little less crowded. I agree with whats been said, if you really don't use something, let it go! Even stuff I bought in the last six months, if I've barely touched it, it can go! I've found it easiest to give my sis some lipglosses, as they'll only end up going bad if I use them sparingly at the rate I was. Lipsticks were easy to give too as I know my sis will get good use out of them as she wears lipstick everyday and I rarely wear it! Blushes were easy to get rid of because a lot wouldn't work with my complexion. Eyeshadows : I've still got a lot of them, but im going to try start wearing them more and then hopefully I can see what I really don't use.

trina11225

Quote:Originally Posted by veronikawithak

You're my hero!! This is the attitude I'm trying to cultivate in myself this year. I almost finished up a blush last year and then tossed it because I got so sick of wearing it and I had so many others I liked more. Now that I've got to the point where I'm smarter with my purchases I have a lot more products that I love rather than just like so I'm hoping I will love them right to the end and not get bored. Blushbaby is one of my ultimate favorites - I'll have to try Douceur..when I finish Blushbaby. ;)
I love the weekly/monthly bags. Such a great idea and you're so right about it pushing you to be more creative.. I've started keeping track of the combinations of products I use and I rate them on a scale of 1-10 how good I think they look on me. If a product is continually included in combinations that get low scores even if I switch up the other products I use it with, maybe that product isn't my color/formula? If so, why do I have it? I'm currently following the "use it up" thread and working on finishing up one of each category of my products which is working well so far but I feel like I'm going to get overwhelmed when I realize how long it's going to take me to finish them.. I also like the idea of a "packing party": you put away EVERYTHING in your collection out of sight, and when you think of something you want to use that day, you grab it. If you don't grab it out of your box to use within a certain period of time (1 month or 1 year or whatever works for you), maybe you don't really need it? If you don't even remember you have it.. you can't love it THAT much right? I got the idea from this site: http://www.theminimalists.com/21days/ which I absolutely love reading. It helps me keep all my purchasing and possessions in check. It's a little extreme and definitely wouldn't work for everyone but it's a fun idea. :)

yea as i'm gettng to wear it , i realize that some things like Milani's lip flash, no longer interested in. Hands to someone else.

calicandee

Great idea! I am not to big on the limited edition items. I just go in phases of buying way too much. So for me I will try to cut down my buying to one or two items a month (or something like that). Also only buying if I truly need something or if it is an item I do not own anything similar to. I am going to make a point to use things up! Wish you all the best!