Resolution LOW-BUY 2020

boschicka

I was afraid to post this so I hesitated because I don't want to be the Debbie Downer in this thread, but my February was a fail and I need to document it somewhere to really keep reading this. In total I spent around 650$ on makeup, makeup tools and skincare (which as you know I picked up my most expensive serum with a very generous giftcard that led me to not pay much).
I don't know how I fell of the wagon even harder when I was already off, but I had a lot of stress situations these past months and February in particular was not a good month in my job at all. I had a couple of days off work in the last week of Feb, so I decided to back2Mac some items. The closest Mac counter to me is actually in France (I live about half an hour away from it) and being in a "holiday mood", I got a little too spendy. At Mac I qualified for four lipsticks (my mom was with me so she picked two and I picked two), but then I also picked up a blush and a prep and prime for my lips. Being located in a department store I stopped at the Estee Lauder counter to pick up my replacement foundation (which btw has gone up 5€ in my country, I don't know if this is a worldwide thing?)
Then I passed the Chanel counter and saw the brush I was wanting for ages but isn't available in my country anymore, so I snapped that up. And then of course I topped it off with a visit to Sephora - when in France I guess - where I racked up the highest of bills on things I didn't need or didn't need that soon (the Nars blush palette, two Nars lipsticks, a KVD blush that I love the tone but hate the packaging so that already went to my mom, three Guerlain products and a new Sephora micellar water).
I know it's done but I can't stop beating myself up over it, because at what time do I clean up my act...
The good news is that I really went through my collection and I decluttered even more: I did away with all my Mac blushes apart from two from last year and the new one, I got rid of at least 20 bronzers, 25 big lip crayons and 25 lipsticks. Most of these items were expired for some years and I just wanted to get rid of something. I only bought two new lipsticks to replace the decluttered ones so that is good I guess. I really need to take another look at my blushes and my eyeshadows and lipliners, I can't seem to declutter them that much. But at least now my storage has room to breath again and it's all put away neatly.
My focus is on this month and on April to try to be as good as possible. I had to buy two hairbrushes this month (does that count?) along with 2 replacement Beauty Blenders, but now I'm done with the replacements for a while. The only thing I will not be able to resist and will never tell myself not to get is the Les Beiges collection coming up, that has a special meaning for me.
I will however be more selective in my choices and limit it to three items. If those come online in March I will pick them up off the site and do a no buy in April (truly!). I will hold off now on buying anything until Les Beiges. And as May is my bday month I will ask for giftcards so I can use them for future repurchase of foundation and perfume (finished one the month and my other one is halfway through)
Looking back I realize that the first items I bought this month from that Asia Chanel collection were a mistake, I didn't need it. However I actually took back the lipstick I decluttered to my mom because I did away all my pink lipsticks, so sparkle or no sparkle I will be wearing that thing.
Lucky my mom is a good sport lol.
I am glad to get this off my chest. Thank you for letting me post these long rambles and I just want to say that you all did very well this February! I'm hoping to come in with few words myself in March/April!
TLDR: thanks for letting this be a place for me to share my journey, I am hoping it's more uphill from here on out!​

You can beat yourself up or you can learn from it. Calmly look at the situation and try to truly understand what was going on in your mind and what your emotions were. Baby steps from there. Know that you will make mistakes. But there's no time like the present to work toward fixing something you don't like.

VAL4M

I was afraid to post this so I hesitated because I don't want to be the Debbie Downer in this thread, but my February was a fail and I need to document it somewhere to really keep reading this. In total I spent around 650$ on makeup, makeup tools and skincare (which as you know I picked up my most expensive serum with a very generous giftcard that led me to not pay much).

I don't know how I fell of the wagon even harder when I was already off, but I had a lot of stress situations these past months and February in particular was not a good month in my job at all. I had a couple of days off work in the last week of Feb, so I decided to back2Mac some items. The closest Mac counter to me is actually in France (I live about half an hour away from it) and being in a "holiday mood", I got a little too spendy. At Mac I qualified for four lipsticks (my mom was with me so she picked two and I picked two), but then I also picked up a blush and a prep and prime for my lips. Being located in a department store I stopped at the Estee Lauder counter to pick up my replacement foundation (which btw has gone up 5€ in my country, I don't know if this is a worldwide thing?)
Then I passed the Chanel counter and saw the brush I was wanting for ages but isn't available in my country anymore, so I snapped that up. And then of course I topped it off with a visit to Sephora - when in France I guess - where I racked up the highest of bills on things I didn't need or didn't need that soon (the Nars blush palette, two Nars lipsticks, a KVD blush that I love the tone but hate the packaging so that already went to my mom, three Guerlain products and a new Sephora micellar water).

I know it's done but I can't stop beating myself up over it, because at what time do I clean up my act...

The good news is that I really went through my collection and I decluttered even more: I did away with all my Mac blushes apart from two from last year and the new one, I got rid of at least 20 bronzers, 25 big lip crayons and 25 lipsticks. Most of these items were expired for some years and I just wanted to get rid of something. I only bought two new lipsticks to replace the decluttered ones so that is good I guess. I really need to take another look at my blushes and my eyeshadows and lipliners, I can't seem to declutter them that much. But at least now my storage has room to breath again and it's all put away neatly.

My focus is on this month and on April to try to be as good as possible. I had to buy two hairbrushes this month (does that count?) along with 2 replacement Beauty Blenders, but now I'm done with the replacements for a while. The only thing I will not be able to resist and will never tell myself not to get is the Les Beiges collection coming up, that has a special meaning for me.
I will however be more selective in my choices and limit it to three items. If those come online in March I will pick them up off the site and do a no buy in April (truly!). I will hold off now on buying anything until Les Beiges. And as May is my bday month I will ask for giftcards so I can use them for future repurchase of foundation and perfume (finished one the month and my other one is halfway through)

Looking back I realize that the first items I bought this month from that Asia Chanel collection were a mistake, I didn't need it. However I actually took back the lipstick I decluttered to my mom because I did away all my pink lipsticks, so sparkle or no sparkle I will be wearing that thing.

I am glad to get this off my chest. Thank you for letting me post these long rambles and I just want to say that you all did very well this February! I'm hoping to come in with few words myself in March/April!
TLDR: thanks for letting this be a place for me to share my journey, I am hoping it's more uphill from here on out!​
Hey everyday is a new beginning! And i totally understand i will totally go crazy if i was in France! The only thing is why declutter ?? I understand the philosophy one in - one out but it felt like a punishment, and counterproductive

r0mini0n

@ VAL4M VAL4M

I can't seem to quote directly so I'll just reply where. The declutter I already started on before I made those last purchase. I have sensitive skin and I noticed that (nothing changed in my skincare) that I was having a lot of breakouts.

I had a look through my makeup inventory and really a lot was bought in 2013-2015. Now, the age wasn't the only reason I decluttered a lot (although it was a big reason). I store everything in those 5 drawer Ikea Alex storage and stuff was just getting way too crowded. Back in the day I bought a lot of things online because most brands weren't available to me. Since I can't return products a lot ended up just sitting there for "maybe one day" which of course I never used.

Now I have a better understanding of what I like/need and things I shouldn't touch because I won't use them anyways. So I just decided to have a good declutter, back2Mac what I could and only keep stuff I really need/want. I still have all that makeup at my moms house btw, she doesn't have a really sensitive skin so she's happy to try out the powder products. Anything expired I am tossing though.

So now my focus is on spending less and only spending on what I know I'll use! Just really need to work on spending less :)

lenchen

Low buy February 2020

Purchases:
PatMcGrath Mothership palette VIII rose palette- I love this palette! Really great everyday option, This palette and the mothership VI are my favourites of the big palettes that are available. I’m not a fan of the more glittery palettes.

Sonia G sky eye set- I used my Beautylish gift card I got for Christmas combined with my remaining balance from the gift card event.

Farmacy green clean cleansing balm-I like the Clinique cleansing balm, but I enjoy using the Farmacy one more. The Farmacy website had a 20% off sale, so I purchased one.

Total spent: $132.00-the gift cards from beautylish allowed me to get the brush set without coming out of pocket, I got the Pat Mcgrath palette for 112.00 with the 10 percent off coupon, and the Farmacy balm for 20.00

Gave Away /Disposed Of/Used UP/chopping block:

Gave away:

my remaining MAC eye brushes (17) with the exception of the 221,217,239 and 242.

Chikuhodo Z2 brush-I never used it, I have so many highlight brushes in my collection, so I barely have time for this poor beauty, but it will be going to a new home!

Viseart Cashmere palette- I have so many palettes similar to this

Chopping block:

Natasha Denona Lila palette, I created a purple palette using singles from colourpop, ABH, and other indie brands. I find I use this palette to create purple looks more often.

Used Up:

Clinique cleansing balm- I have a few back ups of this to get through, while I like the product, I like the Farmacy a bit more, the Clinique feels a little on the greasy side to me, not sure how to explain it, so I may donate my back ups to project beauty share.

Laniege face mask. I liked the mask, but the smell to me, was off putting, so I will not repurchase.

monthly favourites/ reflections- base: MUFE water blend, Laura mercier tinted moisturizer, Giorgio Armani stretchable concealer, and cover FX translucent setting powder. PatMcGrath Mothership VII eyeshadow palette, purple singles palette, and neutral singles palette. Blush: NARS blush in orgasm X, and NARS Taos blush. Highlighter: Makeupgeek ablaze, and Ofra blind the haters highlihter. Coverfx Setting Spray matte.

Last edited:

lenchen

The good news is today is a good day, don't beat yourself up about it!

VAL4M

@ VAL4M VAL4M

I can't seem to quote directly so I'll just reply where. The declutter I already started on before I made those last purchase. I have sensitive skin and I noticed that (nothing changed in my skincare) that I was having a lot of breakouts.

I had a look through my makeup inventory and really a lot was bought in 2013-2015. Now, the age wasn't the only reason I decluttered a lot (although it was a big reason). I store everything in those 5 drawer Ikea Alex storage and stuff was just getting way too crowded. Back in the day I bought a lot of things online because most brands weren't available to me. Since I can't return products a lot ended up just sitting there for "maybe one day" which of course I never used.

Now I have a better understanding of what I like/need and things I shouldn't touch because I won't use them anyways. So I just decided to have a good declutter, back2Mac what I could and only keep stuff I really need/want. I still have all that makeup at my moms house btw, she doesn't have a really sensitive skin so she's happy to try out the powder products. Anything expired I am tossing though.

So now my focus is on spending less and only spending on what I know I'll use! Just really need to work on spending less :)
You just click on reply 😀 not judging at all if your drawers are full i was just worried you were “purging “ for “bad” behaviours i guess we all been there for different things. I also watched a lot of YouTube and i know Marie Kondo is also very popular but i sense that people just don’t understand the real purpose behind the exercises. I also not ready to go thru the process if it will only “make more space for more stuff”

VAL4M

December 2019 final low buy entry for 2019!!!
Purchases:
Ulta 20% prestige 2 NARS eyeshadow primer-I made platinum status at ulta

Muse Beauty PRO 20% sale – Viseart dark edit palette and Viseart Liasion eyeshadow palette.

I missed out on Pat Mcgrath’s Decadance palette again, with all the marketing games surrounding the launch.

I didn’t make any other purchases in December, and I didn’t participate in Sephora’s promotions or beautylish luckybag event.

Gave Away /Disposed Of/Used UP:

Gave away: Pat Mcgrath iconic illumination palette. My cousin really wanted it, so I passed it along.

Used Up: Whamisa facial oil, trentonin cream, hada labo facial cleanser.

monthly favourites/ reflections- My favourites remained the same from last month I’m really enjoying what I have been using. ND metropolis palette, and ND lila palette base: MUFE water blend, cover FX color corrector in orange, NARS creamy concealer, and cover FX translucent setting powder. bronzer: cover fx duo,( Blush: NARS cream blush Cactus flower, and NARS Taos blush. Highlighter: Makeupgeek ignite, and Ofra blind the haters highlihter. Coverfx Setting Spray matte.

2019 recap:

Great job Fur4elise, and Shelly on your low buy year goals!!

Last year I kept track on how much I spent. This year, I kept track of not only how much but what categories I spent the most money on.

Expenditures

Like fur4elise, I really planned ahead last year, and was prepared for the most part my purchases. I never touched my credit card, and used the envelop system. Once I had enough I would buy a gift card and use to purchase. My impulse purchases were the ND Metropolis palette, the Viseart warm mattes 2 Mileau Palette, and the PatMcrath iconic illumiation palette. On average, I spent $175.00 (slightly more than I intended to spend this year) I noticed that the months when I spent more, it was on tools such as brushes, and replenishment of skin care so less make-up which is great!

Speaking of skincare, I made some major changes to my skincare routine (added trentonin) and discontinued the Korean skin care routine. I must say that I’m really pleased with the results so far. My pores around my nose area look smaller, the overall appearance of my skin looks great! It’s affective, I wish I knew about it years earlier, but This change will be continued in 2020. The downside is that my skin is more on the drier side, and I need to moisturize more.

Eyeshadow palettes

This is an area which I tend to go crazy eyeshadow palettes! This year I made 5 purchases Patmcrath Iconic illumination, Viseart warm mattes 3, liaison, and dark edit palettes, and ND metropolis palette. This number would have been 7 IF I got the Patmcgrath nocturnal nirvana and the decadence palette. At this point in time I want to enjoy the palettes that I do have and use my single eyeshadow palettes more, just to be content with what I do have.

Brushes

This is another area that is my weakness. I love quality brushes especially Japanses brushes, I’m afraid I added quite a few everything Sonia g produced this year. Do I regret it? No, unlike makeup it does not go bad at the same time, I’m near satisfied with my brush collection. I’m currently eyeing 2 brushes from Hakuhoudo, but I’m not in a hurry to purchase in the near future.

Other categories

This includes primer, bronzer, mascara, eyeliner, lipstick, blush and foundation/tinted moisturizer I have been using what I have in my collection, and I have only replaced an eyeliner, and of course foundation/ tinted moisturizer as they are used up, and mascara. For blush, I gave away 2 Nars blushes that I wasn’t using and now own 4 blushes (powder) and 1 cream that I rotate monthly.

Fashion stuff

Low buy February 2020

Purchases:
PatMcGrath Mothership palette VIII rose palette- I love this palette! Really great everyday option, This palette and the mothership VI are y favourites of the big palettes that are available. I’m not a fan of the more glittery palettes.

Sonia G sky eye set- I used my Beautylish gift card I got for Christmas combined with my remaining balance from the gift card event.

Farmacy green clean cleansing balm-I like the Clinique cleansing balm, but I enjoy using the Farmacy one more. The Farmacy website had a 20% off sale, so I purchased one.

Total spent: $132.00-the gift cards from beautylish allowed me to get the brush set without coming out of pocket, I got the Pat Mcgrath palette for 112.00 with the 10 percent off coupon, and the Farmacy balm for 20.00

Gave Away /Disposed Of/Used UP/chopping block:

Gave away:

my remaining MAC eye brushes (17) with the exception of the 221,217,239 and 242.

Chikuhodo Z2 brush-I never used it, I have so many highlight brushes in my collection, so I barely have time for this poor beauty, but it will be going to a new home!

Viseart Cashmere palette- I have so many palettes similar to this

Chopping block:

Natasha Denona Lila palette, I created a purple palette using singles from colourpop, ABH, and other indie brands. I find I use this palette to create purple looks more often.

Used Up:

Clinique cleansing balm- I have a few back ups of this to get through, while I like the product, I like the Farmacy a bit more, the Clinique feels a little on the greasy side to me, not sure how to explain it, so I may donate my back ups to project beauty share.

Laniege face mask. I liked the mask, but the smell to me, was off putting, so I will not repurchase.

monthly favourites/ reflections- base: MUFE water blend, Laura mercier tinted moisturizer, Giorgio Armani stretchable concealer, and cover FX translucent setting powder. PatMcGrath Mothership VII eyeshadow palette, purple singles palette, and neutral singles palette. Blush: NARS blush in orgasm X, and NARS Taos blush. Highlighter: Makeupgeek ablaze, and Ofra blind the haters highlihter. Coverfx Setting Spray matte.
Mac 221!!! Favorite Makeup brush i ‘ m so glad to have 4 of them before they went for synthetic!

shellygrrl

Staff member
Yesterday's face...

• Milk Makeup Blur Liquid Matte - Porcelain
  • NARS RCC - Chantilly
  • Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
  • Hourglass Veil Translucent Setting Powder
  • Bobbi Brown Downtown Cool Palette - Brunette (brows)
  • surratt beauty Expressioniste Brow Pomade
  • MAC Prep and Prime 24-Hour Extend Eye Base
  • MAC Eyeshadow - Omega
  • Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Hipster (mixed with bronzer)
  • Revlon So Fierce! Mascara
  • MAC Blush - Next to Skin (contour)
  • The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder - 02
  • Makeup Geek Blush - Main Squeeze
  • Bare Minerals Gen Nude Radiant Lipstick - Tutu
  • MAC Lipstick - Fanfare (dabbed over the top)

shellygrrl

Staff member
  • Becca SSP - Pearl
  • Milk Makeup Blur Liquid Matte - Porcelain
  • NARS RCC - Chantilly
  • Hourglass Veil Translucent Setting Powder
  • Bobbi Brown Downtown Cool Palette - Brunette and Cool Brown (brows)
  • surratt beauty Expressioniste Brow Pomade
  • MAC Eyeshadows - Sumptuous Olive, Omega, Indian Ink
  • Revlon So Fierce! Mascara
  • The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder - 02
  • MAC Lipstick - Blankety
  • NARS Velvet Lip Glide - Unlaced

Last edited:

shellygrrl

Staff member
Playing a little with makeup (including new-to-me bits) today...
  • Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer (I think I like this)
  • Milk Makeup Blur Liquid Matte Foundation - Porcelain
  • RMS Un-Cover Up - 11.5 (sample card; used under the eyes as a sort of corrector; wasn't too keen on it. If I had my correct shade(s) I think I'd like it more for spot concealing.)
  • NARS RCC - Chantilly
  • Bobbi Brown Downtown Cool Palette - Brunette (brows)
  • ABH Eyeshadow - Warm Taupe (I think this will help fill that warm-but-not-too-warm eyeshadow gap)
  • The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder - 02 (applied with a not-very-dense fan brush)

VAL4M

March update
I purchased a case of 🍷! Yes different online purchased because of my nemesis Covid!

I’v made an order at the Sephora for one makeup remover and a serum. And 2 days after they put a bunch of stuff on sale ( not my two items) so i stay strong 💪🏻

I’ve made an order of JD glow because i was looking for an aqua liquid eyeliner so i spend a little less of 100$ for 2 liquid eyeliners and 3 eyeshadows and over 25$ of shipping fee.
I received my give me glow order and between those two indie brands GMG is way better as for eyeshadow formula i can’t wait to grab more matte and yes their shimmers have more hype but OMG their matte formula is so awesome!
Finally i won a paire of Fluevog heals on Ebay 😂 still need to pay the price $$$ but was a pretty steel compared to their regular price.

I bought 2 cute tops from a local designer right before the quarantine
I wore it outside and i’m refusing to stay in joggers and pyjamas all day.

Next to come
The ND new mini palette i will wait for reviews but i think she’s offering us with a good option to the melt millennial palette and cheaper

Still need to buy new running shoes. My marathon was canceled but i want to keep up with my program to build my endurance, speed and stamina for my fall marathon

The weakness of the Canadian dollar really going to help me with my low buy that and my husband looking at all the packages coming in.

r0mini0n

The first of march I ordered 2 new hairbrushes and 2 new beauty blenders, and that's it beauty wise. Still cost me 65€ which is more than a third of my budget psh!

This wasn't me being strong btw, this is due to the current situation. Not only am I scared to spend my money since I've been super irresponsible with it in January and February which could lead me in trouble, but I was also waiting for the Chanel Beiges collection. I can't buy it online but even if It hits the site, trying to wait and buy it locally if possible!

shellygrrl

Staff member
So in March I repurchased some skincare (Bakuchiol from The Inkey List and The Ordinary's argan oil) and a couple of new makeup bits (Milk Makeup Hydro Grip and ABH Eyeshadow in Warm Taupe). On Monday I took advantage of Ulta's 21 Days of Beauty and repurchased Clinique High Impact Mascara for half off, along with my MAC eyeshadow primer and The Ordinary's rosehip oil. (The Ulta order will count for this month since that's when it's due to arrive.)

That may be it for me in regards to makeup bits, at least for a little while.

Latest posts