Ricky Martin flips off president..

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
I would pay for a picture of you in that t-shirt.

If I find my freaking paper, I may just make it tonight.

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
And, Muhammed isn't important to me. I've still got those cartoons saved on my external. I'll print out and wear them on my tshirt tomorrow and get angry when other people are offended because seriously, it's just Muhammed, not that big a deal, and LOTS of people have something to say negatively about Muhammed.

I never told you that you it had to be important to you but you keep trying to beat it into me that Ricky Martin flipping off Bush should be important to me.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
Um LadyBug I didn't deny he's important in that comment. I denied he's as important to me as a religious figure. When people worship him as a religious leader I'll give him the same respect as I'd give any religious figure.

And Shimmer ... for the millionth time it's not the same to me!!!! To you it is to me it's not. Why can't you deal with that?! You always claim that I'm trying to make people see my views. You're trying to make me see the same views as you! I don't hold politicial figures as highly as I do religious figures.

I'd never compare someone flipping off Yasser Arafat to the cartoons. To me it's not the same, if you can't accept that then deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raerae
No one is saying, you need to see Bush as important as a Religious figure.

There saying, you need to understand that SOME people are just as upset over Ricky giving GWB the finger, as YOU would be if Ricky was singing an Islamic song and a cartoon of the Prophet came up and he put up his middle finger.

This is where you go, "Oh, yeh, I'd be pretty pissed too if I respected Bush that way. I dont personally care that Ricky gave Bush the finger since I dont respect him, but I can TOTALLY understand why you might be upset that he did."

Try it with me again, "Oops! My bad!"

^^^^^ that pretty much sums it up.

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Your still missing the point...

No one is saying, you need to see Bush as important as a Religious figure.

There saying, you need to understand that SOME people are just as upset over Ricky giving GWB the finger, as YOU would be if Ricky was singing an Islamic song and a cartoon of the Prophet came up and he put up his middle finger.

This is where you go, "Oh, yeh, I'd be pretty pissed too if I respected Bush that way. I dont personally care that Ricky gave Bush the finger since I dont respect him, but I can TOTALLY understand why you might be upset that he did."

Try it with me again, "Oops! My bad!"

I do understand that to some people it's a big deal, to me it's not. I understand that to Shimmer it's the same thing as the cartoons, to me it's not.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Um LadyBug I didn't deny he's important in that comment. I denied he's as important to me as a religious figure. When people worship him as a religious leader I'll give him the same respect as I'd give any religious figure.

Nope, sorry. When you say "When people start worshipping Bush as a religious figure and follow a religion he is a prophet of then it'll be a similar situation." you are inherently denying the fact that to SOME people he is just as important as your god is to you.

I haven't seen anyone at any point tell you that you need to be personally offended that Ricky Martin flipped off George Bush. They've simply pointed out your hypocrisy in refusing to accept that to some people it is an egregious action.

Shimmer

Quote:
I never told you that you it had to be important to you but you keep trying to beat it into me that Ricky Martin flipping off Bush should be important to me.

You said what's the big deal, everyone has something bad about him to say anyway.
I said no, those people who are offended are offended with good reason.
And made the freaking analogy.
Just because you refuse to see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

I'm not saying Bush should be important to you as Muhammed is.
I'm saying that by behaving the way he did, Martin offended people because there are people who respect the office of the President as much as you profess to respect your religious leader.
I'm not telling you to do anything, except stop pulling the persecuted victim card everytime someone doesn't agree with you. I'm not telling you to revere Bush. I'm telling you that people were offended because in the same light as you hold muhammed, there are people who respect the President.

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
Nope, sorry. When you say "When people start worshipping Bush as a religious figure and follow a religion he is a prophet of then it'll be a similar situation." you are inherently denying the fact that to SOME people he is just as important as your god is to you.

I haven't seen anyone at any point tell you that you need to be personally offended that Ricky Martin flipped off George Bush. They've simply pointed out your hypocrisy in refusing to accept that to some people it is an egregious action.

I don't refuse to accept that. You refuse to accept that I don't deny he's important to some people. He means nothing to me, if you love the guy for it. I'm not telling u not to.

Raerae

Quote:
And Shimmer ... for the millionth time it's not the same to me!!!! To you it is to me it's not. Why can't you deal with that?! You always claim that I'm trying to make people see my views. You're trying to make me see the same views as you! I don't hold politicial figures as highly as I do religious figures.

I'd never compare someone flipping off Yasser Arafat to the cartoons. To me it's not the same, if you can't accept that then deal with it.

Amoona we know it's not the same to you.

What you have yet to admit is that you can understand WHY other people who do hold political figures with high esteem are upset about it.

The point of discussion is to gain understand of other people's views. You dont have to accept them, but it's important to be able to see them.

Try it again, "Oops I did it again~"

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
You said what's the big deal, everyone has something bad about him to say anyway.
I said no, those people who are offended are offended with good reason.
And made the freaking analogy.
Just because you refuse to see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

I'm not saying Bush should be important to you as Muhammed is.
I'm saying that by behaving the way he did, Martin offended people because there are people who respect the office of the President as much as you profess to respect your religious leader.
I'm not telling you to do anything, except stop pulling the persecuted victim card everytime someone doesn't agree with you. I'm not telling you to revere Bush. I'm telling you that people were offended because in the same light as you hold muhammed, there are people who respect the President.

I understand that there are people who love and respect Bush. I'm not one of those people. I will not hold him in the same light.

glamdoll

uh i dont get it..
if that was ur whole point then why did u have to bring in
the whole refugee.. war.. ur land back that we promised..
my tax money not helping u... u hate america .. into the mix?

u coulda just said that..

its the same thing to different ppl but not to me..

why did we have to go into a detailed convo about ur mom and ur dad and the land if ur point was as simple as u make it seem?

yeah.

Shimmer

Quote:
I understand that there are people who love and respect Bush. I'm not one of those people. I will not hold him in the same light.

I. Never. Asked. You. To.

I made an analogy.
You were offended by the analogy.
I'm not asking you to do ANYTHING other than say "Oh. Y'know, you're right, there probably are people who are offended by his behaviour, and I guess, in their shoes, in a similar situation, I would be too..."

MAC_Whore

Just in case anyone would like to beat their head against it, here you go.....

background_brick_wall.jpg

lol.gif

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdoll
uh i dont get it..
if that was ur whole point then why did u have to bring in
the whole refugee.. war.. ur land back that we promised..
my tax money not helping u... u hate america .. into the mix?

u coulda just said that..

its the same thing to different ppl but not to me..

why did we have to go into a detailed convo about ur mom and ur dad and the land if ur point was as simple as u make it seem?

yeah.

I was saying it but other people decided to bring in other things into the mix.

Raerae

Quote:
I was saying it but other people decided to bring in other things into the mix.

No. You misunderstood (still dont understand).