Rock/Metal Fans unite

Rennah

Re: Metal Fans \m/

Anyone into Beneath the Sky? (metalcore)

I like them alot.

I am also a huge Atreyu fan.

BloodMittens

I'm all over the board...

-
Every Time I Die
Bring me the Horizon
iwrestledabearonce
Porcupine Tree
Opeth
(OLDER) Otep
(OLDER) Marilyn Manson
Bleeding Through
Dragon Force
Symphony X
Behemoth
Dimmu Borgir
Dethklok (SHH! It's a band to me!)
DevilDriver
Ice Nine Kills
Chimaira
Pantera
(OLDER) Metallica
Dream Theater
From Autumn to Ashes
Miss May I
Trivium
The Black Dahlia Murder
Napalm Death
Decapitated
Deicide
Obituary
Suffocation
+ Much More D:
J-ROCK -
An Cafe (though I don't think it's fully metal... but whichever)
Girugamesh
Gackt
X-Japan
Dir en Grey
Miyavi
Malice Mizer
Etc -

I has too much...

BloodMittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake_x
FINALLY, I find someone who likes The Black Dahlia Murder too!

:O ! But they're so many of us! I guess not all of us love makeup
shockt.gif

BloodMittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake_x
lol.gif

Everytime I ask someone if they like them they go, "Who??"

:O ! Really!?! I ask people all the time and they're like "YEAHHHH!!! OMFG!"

D: That's like how I am with Porcupine Tree... people are always like "What's that?" but I do get the occasional "I love them!!"

smiles.gif

cupcake_x

Maybe they're just not well known down these neck of the woods...
Lucky you though, no one here listens to that kind of music.

Kinderwhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodMittens
:O ! Really!?! I ask people all the time and they're like "YEAHHHH!!! OMFG!"

D: That's like how I am with Porcupine Tree... people are always like "What's that?" but I do get the occasional "I love them!!"

smiles.gif

I love how much recognition Porcupine Tree have been getting over the past 7 years or so (especially in Europe), beginning with In Absentia. I think they're probably as big as they're going to get at this point, but that's still pretty damn good. They are amazing.

BloodMittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinderwhore
I love how much recognition Porcupine Tree have been getting over the past 7 years or so (especially in Europe), beginning with In Absentia. I think they're probably as big as they're going to get at this point, but that's still pretty damn good. They are amazing.

Oh, I hear ya. I've only liked them for about 2 years or so, and I found out about them by reading the booklet in my boyfriend's Opeth CD. :O

I still prefer Deadwing to all :0

greengoesmoo

I used to be a lot more metal. Doom and sludge all the way.
Nowadays it's ska and blue beat that make my bones shake.
smiles.gif

I still have a weak spot for:
Mad Capsule Markets.
Vincent Price's Orphan Powered Death Machine.
Merzbow. <3 <3
Electric Wizard.
Boris.
13teen.

I find the problem with metal is too many of the every day people I meet who *really* like metal are dirty fucking racists.
Not all, not even most, probably not even 1/10 but just a large enough percentage to notice a trend.

It might be a local thing to my town but it just seems almost every ****MALE**** metaller I meet IRL has no problem extolling the virtues of white power or at best uses casual racism which "doesn't mean anything" for humour.

Has anyone else found this in metal social circles?

Junkie

Re: Metal Fans m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoesmoo
I used to be a lot more metal. Doom and sludge all the way.
Nowadays it's ska and blue beat that make my bones shake.
smiles.gif

I still have a weak spot for:
Mad Capsule Markets.
Vincent Price's Orphan Powered Death Machine.
Merzbow. <3 <3
Electric Wizard.
Boris.
13teen.

I find the problem with metal is too many of the every day people I meet who *really* like metal are dirty fucking racists.
Not all, not even most, probably not even 1/10 but just a large enough percentage to notice a trend.

It might be a local thing to my town but it just seems almost every ****MALE**** metaller I meet IRL has no problem extolling the virtues of white power or at best uses casual racism which "doesn't mean anything" for humour.

Has anyone else found this in metal social circles?

To an extent, yes. But many of the shows I go to have a decent following of many non-caucasian metalheads. A lot of newer bands have band members with an ethnic minority in them - so to be racist and love a band with someone like that in it is kind of pointless and stupid. But then again, a lot of guys feel like that about female lead singers in metal groups, so its not just racism, its sexism too.

On another note:

This thread made my day! I love seeing so many girls into harder music..lol! I told my fiance about this thread and I was like, "SEE!? A lot of girls that are make-up addicts aren't JUST into make-up! There's a bunch of metalheads too!"

thmbup.gif
lol.gif

My list varies, but I like my industrial metal the most. Anything that I can club and DANCE to [properly, not a throw down bang-fest] is what I like. I mostly listen to Killswitch, Manson, Korn, Mushroomhead, Suicide Silence, Hatebreed, Five Finger Death Punch, etc. It varies a lot.

And yes, I totally agree that certain bands listed before "aren't metal" - but to be honest, like someone else said, the genre's and sub-genres mesh and overlap so much, its hard to give a band its proper title.

I think to most, "Metal music" simply implies HARDER music haha.

I know people who will argue 'til they're blue in the face about how much this band or that band sucks because they "aren't metal". Or how you'ree stupid for thinking that "thats metal". DUMB!

obscuria

I was really into metal during my teen years. I still am, but not to the extent I was when I started.

My favorites include: Opeth (love this band, favorite of all time), acid bath, death, emperor, at the gates, agalloch, bloodbath, testament, and windir.

And I totally understand the whole metal fans = bunch of racists thing. Not all of them, but I've met a few going to metal shows, and with me being a tiny asian girl...well there were some problems. But on the other hand, a bunch of them are super nice too. It might just be because I'm in the bay area though, and there's generally a better acceptance of diversity.

There's this weird sense of unity in the metal community I think, I have an Opeth sticker on the back windshield of my car and I get a lot of drivers pulling up next to me or risking their lives doing ridiculously risky driving behavior trying to catch up to me...just to flash me the metal horns.

Vlcatko

I find that most of the bands other people classify as metal is either too hard for me or just not my cup of tea entirely. However I LOVE power metal. The guys (or girls but I like guy singers better
winks.gif
) usually have amazing voices which is a big part of it for me. Some of my favorites are:
  • Sonata Arctica
  • Axxis
  • Rage
  • Hammerfall
  • Edguy (and Tobias Sammet's Avantasia project)
  • Korpiklaani (more of a folk metal but heck they are amazing)
  • Dragonforce
  • Nightwish
  • Sabaton

greengoesmoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuria
There's this weird sense of unity in the metal community I think, I have an Opeth sticker on the back windshield of my car and I get a lot of drivers pulling up next to me or risking their lives doing ridiculously risky driving behavior trying to catch up to me...just to flash me the metal horns.

I totally get what you mean!! I get the nod from goths on an almost daily basis. Metallers don't pin me as one of thier tribe very often.
I guess it's fairly visible which side of that fence I sit on, with my Joy Division T-shirt.

A bit off topic, but has anyone here noticed how image competative goths (among thier own kind) are compared to metallers?

Does anyone else here have a soft spot for really rough DnB metal remixes?? I'm HOOKED on shitmatt atm.<3

purple_pumpkin

Oh, oh I looove this thread, i didn't know there was one
th_worship.gif

I such a metal fan, im into goth and power metal the most.

But i also listen to rock/emb/hard core, used to listen to punk, but not anymore in the last couple of years

blackeneddove

Wellll I'm not one for metal that much but I listen to punk and it's similar so I'll post anyways. And no, not "good charlotte" and "blink 182" for anyone who is not punk savvy. Stuff like Disorder, Discharge, Subhumans, Mau Maus, etc.
I DO like a genre called "crust punk" that's basically if metal and punk had a baby. I'd say it's comparable to Death Metal, bands like Dystopia, Hellshock... I'm also liking black metal alot lately too.
My best friend is way way wayyy into hair metal and buttrock so none of that for me! It's too outrageous for me.
And I too am SO GLAD that there are makeup addict ladies here who are into some more underground music, I thought I was the only one! Everyone else seems to love stuff like Lady Gaga which is just not for me.

greengoesmoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeneddove
Wellll I'm not one for metal that much but I listen to punk and it's similar so I'll post anyways. And no, not "good charlotte" and "blink 182" for anyone who is not punk savvy. Stuff like Disorder, Discharge, Subhumans, Mau Maus, etc.
I DO like a genre called "crust punk" that's basically if metal and punk had a baby. I'd say it's comparable to Death Metal, bands like Dystopia, Hellshock... I'm also liking black metal alot lately too.
My best friend is way way wayyy into hair metal and buttrock so none of that for me! It's too outrageous for me.
And I too am SO GLAD that there are makeup addict ladies here who are into some more underground music, I thought I was the only one! Everyone else seems to love stuff like Lady Gaga which is just not for me.

Haha I saw Blink 182 live for a friend, they were dreadful, foul mouthed (considering the average audience member was an 11 yr old with mum) and the crowd kept undercrushing people. We went to the ambulance tent because the girl I was with had an athsma (is that right?) attack and it was full of CHILDREN (10 to 14) who had been pushed under or hurt by the crowds.
ssad.gif

I recall my outrage when Kerrang had "Battle of the PUNK GODS blink182 VS Greenday" on the cover. I gave up on modern popular punk then. I quite like older punk like snuff and the almighty. Oh and The Negatives!! <3<3<3

How do you guys feel about Pink Floyd? (I know it's a slightly off genre band, but I'm curious. ) Spout your feelings on this one please.
smiles.gif

greengoesmoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_pumpkin
Oh, oh I looove this thread, i didn't know there was one
th_worship.gif

I such a metal fan, im into goth and power metal the most.

But i also listen to rock/emb/hard core, used to listen to punk, but not anymore in the last couple of years

With the distance between B and O on the keyboard being so large, whats EMB? Is it like VNV and front 242?? I swear that's what I have heard them called before.

blackeneddove

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoesmoo
Haha I saw Blink 182 live for a friend, they were dreadful, foul mouthed (considering the average audience member was an 11 yr old with mum) and the crowd kept undercrushing people. We went to the ambulance tent because the girl I was with had an athsma (is that right?) attack and it was full of CHILDREN (10 to 14) who had been pushed under or hurt by the crowds.
ssad.gif

I recall my outrage when Kerrang had "Battle of the PUNK GODS blink182 VS Greenday" on the cover. I gave up on modern popular punk then. I quite like older punk like snuff and the almighty. Oh and The Negatives!! <3<3<3

How do you guys feel about Pink Floyd? (I know it's a slightly off genre band, but I'm curious. ) Spout your feelings on this one please.
smiles.gif

Was it some sort of fest that happened at? Theres this thing called "warped tour" here in the US that has tents and numerous modern pop-punk bands and alot of the show goers are younger as well. I've never gone but I've heard of the younger crowd getting crushed too, its ridiculous!

And I love Pink Floyd! I do have a soft spot for them, great stoner music. My parents listened to mostly classic rock and that was about it as I was growing up, so I was raised off that music. That's all I listened to until I met my first "boyfriend" introduced me to the world of punk when I was 13 and I've been hooked since.