Rock/Metal Fans unite

spunky

Re: Metal Fans m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthanoelle
It's so weird looking at this thread, because you see such wide gaps in everyone's personal definition of what metal is.

maybe because there's lots of sub-genres of metal? i don't think there's wide gaps in people's definitions, they just like lots of different styles, and not all of them are metal
smiles.gif

metal_romantic

Quote:
It's so weird looking at this thread, because you see such wide gaps in everyone's personal definition of what metal is.

Does it really matter?...

manthanoelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky
maybe because there's lots of sub-genres of metal? i don't think there's wide gaps in people's definitions, they just like lots of different styles, and not all of them are metal

Agree. There's lots of sub-genres so I think it's an open sounding board of whats metal and whats not. But there's some bands I am sure I wouldn't personally call metal and think it falls under a different genre and I am sure there are also plenty of bands none of us have mentioned which are completely on the metal side.

I'm confused by the "I don't think there's wide gaps in people's definition" and then "not all of them are metal." This being a thread about metal music and people listing what metal bands they do like if you don't consider it metal and they do, than wouldn't that be a gap in our individual definitions of what makes it what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_romantic
Does it really matter?...

Um, no seeing as it wasn't a complaint it was an observation. Since there's no "You know something metal's when..." guideline it's sort of whatever you consider it to be that's what it is. There's no harm in pointing that out.

Funtabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashk36
Jeez I don't wanna make a list. I've probably seen more bands in the past 10 years than most people will see in their lives, and I still couldn't tell you the difference between half the genre's/sub-genre's/etc. I swear every band could fit into a different category. Almost. I like hardcore and metal and metalcore and mediocore and crapcore and bla bla. I'll just say my top 2 favorite metal-ish bands are Between the Buried and Me and The Dillinger Escape Plan.

Yes! I love the Dillinger Escape Plan! I haven't heard Between the Buried and Me before, going to check them out now though.
smiles.gif

spunky

Quote:
Agree. There's lots of sub-genres so I think it's an open sounding board of whats metal and whats not. But there's some bands I am sure I wouldn't personally call metal and think it falls under a different genre and I am sure there are also plenty of bands none of us have mentioned which are completely on the metal side.

I'm confused by the "I don't think there's wide gaps in people's definition" and then "not all of them are metal." This being a thread about metal music and people listing what metal bands they do like if you don't consider it metal and they do, than wouldn't that be a gap in our individual definitions of what makes it what?

i really need to start re-reading what i type! what i meant to say was that a lot of bands listed are different sub-genres, with a few thrown in as a sort of 'i listen to this too, even though it doesn't fit in this thread'. i get what you're saying though, there's plenty bands i wouldn't consider metal in the slightest, but other people here do. whatever, it's just nice to know that there are women who enjoy metal and make up
smiles.gif

BeccalovesMAC

Re: Metal Fans \m/

OMG I didn't even know this thread existed

Here's my list

Killswitch engage
Chimaira
Meshugah
Deathklock
Trivium
As I lay dying
Throwdown
Combichrist
Bullet for myvalentin
Everytime I die
Norma Jean
Otep
Alexisonfire
All that remains
August burns red
Machinehead
Shadows fall
Unearth
Walls of Jericho
That's all I can think of off hand

kaliraksha

Quote:

Too true, I always just leave it to the "pros" at the Encyclopedia Metallum. I've ventured into their forums trying to figure what makes something metal vs not and it was just very technical info (too technical for me) and it's interesting to see where the roots really come from musically.

NutMeg

Just went to see Iron Maiden and Dream Theater on Sunday night, it was sick!

manthanoelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha
Too true, I always just leave it to the "pros" at the Encyclopedia Metallum. I've ventured into their forums trying to figure what makes something metal vs not and it was just very technical info (too technical for me) and it's interesting to see where the roots really come from musically.

hahahaha same.

I always feel like when I say "OH THAT'S METAL" or well, suggest something I consider to be metal and then someone (usually a male friend) are all "OH WELL THAT'S NOT METAL BECAUSE THIS IS NOT IN THIS SONG AND BLAH BLAH BLAH".

I used to work at hot topic so I am used to wide ranges in genres and what people consider something to be of one genre and someone else would consider it another. So I've sort of learned if you like what you like that's awesome for you
thmbup.gif

spunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha

Quote:
hahahaha same.

I always feel like when I say "OH THAT'S METAL" or well, suggest something I consider to be metal and then someone (usually a male friend) are all "OH WELL THAT'S NOT METAL BECAUSE THIS IS NOT IN THIS SONG AND BLAH BLAH BLAH".

I used to work at hot topic so I am used to wide ranges in genres and what people consider something to be of one genre and someone else would consider it another. So I've sort of learned if you like what you like that's awesome for you
thmbup.gif

i don't know if it's the same for you, but people who are like "so &so is metal, that's not metal weh weh weh" really irritate me.

i used to be heavily into black metal, and the elitism within that genre is unreal! if it's not norwegian then it's not kvlt and therefore not worthy of listening to. i HATE people like that! get a life! it's music, if you like it then good, if not then find something else. who cares what it's classed as if you enjoy it?
girl_devil.gif

manthanoelle

It's SO annoying when people do that. I just bite my tongue and say ok then go on my way. Because I really quite frankly could give two fucks what genre a band I like falls under or what someone else thinks it falls under. All I know is I typically like what people call "DeathCore" when to me is just some kinda off landish new breed term for a sub-genre of metal. BFD. It's music. Music is music, we all like different things so what works for me is what works for me and what works for someone else is what works for them.

big thumbs down for music snobz.

spunky

to me, this whole 'you don't listen to TRUE METULZZZ' is as stupid as someone saying 'i'm not talking to you because you like coral lipstick'. it's dumb.

it's the only thing i hate about the metal community as a whole. when it comes to discrimination AGAINST metalheads of any style, then that's fine, everyone unites against it. but the discrimination from within is a far bigger problem, and you're right. it is snobbery and it's getting stale really quickly.

has anyone got any gigs/festivals coming up?

Bjarka

Agree with you both. Had this friend, who makes this weird "metal" music. He's the worst snob ever. If you can tell what is being growled, it's not REAL metal.
Makes my skin crawl. Had one of his friend call Rammstein pop music.... I just shook my head told him it is mainly categorized as Industrial, but could be considered pop as in the term of popular...

Vlcatko

Quote:

Masters of Rock starts next week!
th_DANCE.gif
YAY! Can't wait to go but I think the chances of meeting some other Specktra fan there are less than slim... Every year there are few people from Sweden, Poland, Germany and sometimes Denmark. But they are very small groups and what are the odds the spare girl here and there is on Specktra also
nope.gif

Maybe I can lure you here
graucho.gif

Look what we will be enjoying for 4 days!
Thursday 15. 7.
14:40 - 15:10 Final Fiction (CZ)
15:25 - 16:10 Gaia Mesiah (CZ)
16:30 - 17:20 Salamandra (CZ)
17:40 - 18:40 Horkýže Slíže (SK)
19:00 - 20:00 K2 (Swe, USA)
20:30 - 21:30 Axel Rudi Pell (Ger)
22:30 - 23:45 Tarja + filharmonie (Fin)
00:00 - 00:35 Mike Terrana (USA)
01:00 - 02:00 Sabaton (Swe)

Friday 16.7.
13:00 - 13:45 Citron (CZ)
13:55 - 14:40 Visací Zámek (CZ)
14:55 - 15:40 Metalforce (Ger)
15:55 - 16:45 Delain (Hol)
17:00 - 18:00 Destruction (Ger)
18:30 - 19:30 Tublatanka (SK)
20:00 - 21:00 Epica (Hol)
21:30 - 22:40 Queensrÿche (USA)
23:10 - 00:40 Manowar (USA)
01:10 - 02:00 Holyhell (USA)

Saturday 17.7.
9:30 - 10:15 Rising Dream (Hrv)
10:30 - 11:20 Grand Magus (Swe)
11:40 - 12:30 Legendy se vrací (CZ)
12:50 - 13:40 Dodo (CZ)
14:00 - 14:50 Škwor (CZ)
15:15 - 16:15 Doga (CZ)
16:45 - 17:45 Communic (Nor)
18:15 - 19:15 Behemoth (Pol)
19:45 - 20:45 Primal Fear (Ger)
21:15 - 22:30 Annihilator (Can)
23:00 - 00:30 Gamma Ray (Ger)
01:00 - 02:00 Bloodbound (Swe)

Sunday 18.7.
9:30 - 10:20 Euthanasia (CZ)
10:35 - 11:25 Rhemorha (Rus)
11:40 - 12:30 Kimaera (LBN)
12:45 - 13:35 Harlej (CZ)
13:50 - 14:50 Callejon (Ger)
15:10 - 16:10 Arakain (CZ)
16:30 - 17:30 Lacrimosa (Ger)
18:00 - 19:00 Doro (Ger)
19:30 - 20:30 Unisonic (Kiske) (Ger)
21:00 - 22:15 Accept (Ger)
22:45 - 24:00 Lordi (Fin)

spunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlcatko
Masters of Rock starts next week!
th_DANCE.gif
YAY! Can't wait to go but I think the chances of meeting some other Specktra fan there are less than slim... Every year there are few people from Sweden, Poland, Germany and sometimes Denmark. But they are very small groups and what are the odds the spare girl here and there is on Specktra also
nope.gif

Maybe I can lure you here
graucho.gif

Look what we will be enjoying for 4 days!
Thursday 15. 7.
14:40 - 15:10 Final Fiction (CZ)
15:25 - 16:10 Gaia Mesiah (CZ)
16:30 - 17:20 Salamandra (CZ)
17:40 - 18:40 Horkýže Slíže (SK)
19:00 - 20:00 K2 (Swe, USA)
20:30 - 21:30 Axel Rudi Pell (Ger)
22:30 - 23:45 Tarja + filharmonie (Fin)
00:00 - 00:35 Mike Terrana (USA)
01:00 - 02:00 Sabaton (Swe)

Friday 16.7.
13:00 - 13:45 Citron (CZ)
13:55 - 14:40 Visací Zámek (CZ)
14:55 - 15:40 Metalforce (Ger)
15:55 - 16:45 Delain (Hol)
17:00 - 18:00 Destruction (Ger)
18:30 - 19:30 Tublatanka (SK)
20:00 - 21:00 Epica (Hol)
21:30 - 22:40 Queensrÿche (USA)
23:10 - 00:40 Manowar (USA)
01:10 - 02:00 Holyhell (USA)

Saturday 17.7.
9:30 - 10:15 Rising Dream (Hrv)
10:30 - 11:20 Grand Magus (Swe)
11:40 - 12:30 Legendy se vrací (CZ)
12:50 - 13:40 Dodo (CZ)
14:00 - 14:50 Škwor (CZ)
15:15 - 16:15 Doga (CZ)
16:45 - 17:45 Communic (Nor)
18:15 - 19:15 Behemoth (Pol)
19:45 - 20:45 Primal Fear (Ger)
21:15 - 22:30 Annihilator (Can)
23:00 - 00:30 Gamma Ray (Ger)
01:00 - 02:00 Bloodbound (Swe)

Sunday 18.7.
9:30 - 10:20 Euthanasia (CZ)
10:35 - 11:25 Rhemorha (Rus)
11:40 - 12:30 Kimaera (LBN)
12:45 - 13:35 Harlej (CZ)
13:50 - 14:50 Callejon (Ger)
15:10 - 16:10 Arakain (CZ)
16:30 - 17:30 Lacrimosa (Ger)
18:00 - 19:00 Doro (Ger)
19:30 - 20:30 Unisonic (Kiske) (Ger)
21:00 - 22:15 Accept (Ger)
22:45 - 24:00 Lordi (Fin)

oaft! what a line up! GO SEE MANOWAR. honestly, you won't regret it even if you don't like them. there's nothing like them live!

metal_romantic

Quote:
to me, this whole 'you don't listen to TRUE METULZZZ' is as stupid as someone saying 'i'm not talking to you because you like coral lipstick'. it's dumb.

it's the only thing i hate about the metal community as a whole. when it comes to discrimination AGAINST metalheads of any style, then that's fine, everyone unites against it. but the discrimination from within is a far bigger problem, and you're right. it is snobbery and it's getting stale really quickly.

I agree wholeheartedly! I don't really have "metal" friends because most people I have met have a "more metal than thou" attitude. When I have mentioned that I'm a big Metallica fan, more than one person has then proceeded to quiz me about Metallica to try and test me or trip me up or something, and then get annoyed when I answer all their questions correctly. So weird...

I am so excited about seeing Metallica for the first time (and then the 2nd time the next night). They haven't toured here (Australia) properly since 1996, so this is a BIG DEAL. I absolutely adore them and I can't even think about the concerts because I feel too overwhelmed by the excitement, lol.

LisaOrestea

Oh wow, I can't believe I didn't find this thread before!
People always thing it is really weird that I listen to heavy music, but I am still girly in that I LOVE cosmetics. I guess there is a whole bunch of us
smiles.gif

My favourites are Dream Theater, Emarosa, Coheed & Cambria, Machine Head, Forever Never, Paramore, Fei Comodo, Alter Bridge, Stone Sour.

Im sure there are thousands more but I can't think right now :p

Im actually in a band too. We have been doing pretty well over the last couple of years and are getting ready to release our debut album in October. I would be interested to know what some of you think
smiles.gif

www.myspace.com/orestea

spunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_romantic
I agree wholeheartedly! I don't really have "metal" friends because most people I have met have a "more metal than thou" attitude. When I have mentioned that I'm a big Metallica fan, more than one person has then proceeded to quiz me about Metallica to try and test me or trip me up or something, and then get annoyed when I answer all their questions correctly. So weird...

I am so excited about seeing Metallica for the first time (and then the 2nd time the next night). They haven't toured here (Australia) properly since 1996, so this is a BIG DEAL. I absolutely adore them and I can't even think about the concerts because I feel too overwhelmed by the excitement, lol.

i know right! who cares if you know what cliff burton's dog was called, if you like the music that should be enough. and for the record, i don't know if he even had a dog. sue me
tong.gif

hope you have a good time! i'm sure you will though
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaOrestea
People always thing it is really weird that I listen to heavy music, but I am still girly in that I LOVE cosmetics. I guess there is a whole bunch of us
smiles.gif

My favourites are Dream Theater, Emarosa, Coheed & Cambria, Machine Head, Forever Never, Paramore, Fei Comodo, Alter Bridge, Stone Sour.

Im actually in a band too. We have been doing pretty well over the last couple of years and are getting ready to release our debut album in October. I would be interested to know what some of you think
smiles.gif

www.myspace.com/orestea

hehe, yeah there's a few of us here
smiles.gif

i'll definitely check your band out when i get home
greengrin.gif

metal_romantic

Quote:
i know right! who cares if you know what cliff burton's dog was called, if you like the music that should be enough. and for the record, i don't know if he even had a dog. sue me
tong.gif

hope you have a good time! i'm sure you will though
smiles.gif

hehe, yeah there's a few of us here
smiles.gif

i'll definitely check your band out when i get home
greengrin.gif

Hmm, I haven't heard of him having a dog but now I MUST FIND OUT!!! Lol. I think they didn't believe that I could be a real fan, being a feminine girl, and they wanted me to say "Oh I just know that Enter Sandman song, that's all really". So yeah, I'm another girly Metal girl.

I just looked at the myspace page & had a quick listen! Very cool! \m/ Will definitely have a longer listen later when I've done a bit more study (I really shouldn't be posting on Specktra then, but... I'm sure you all understand) and let you know what I think. I reckon my boyfriend would like it, so I'll get him to listen too!
smiles.gif
I'm a singer as well (a solo artist rather than being in a band.) I play guitar, piano and bass, and am in the process of writing songs for my first album <3

Bjarka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaOrestea
smiles.gif

smiles.gif

www.myspace.com/orestea

I like it
smiles.gif
it's getting to be my Spektra browsing soundtrack today
greengrin.gif