Same Manufacturer, Different Brands: Seen anything? NYX, Milani, Anastasia, and plenty more.

ShareeA

I've never seen this before ever! I've been deceived
holysheep.gif

MissElle12

Nyx has introduced a line stuff like that on ulta. They don't have all the color options, ingredients, nor packaging of ABH though.
Thank you for the heads up!! I just found the NYX version of dipbrow pomade the other day at Ulta. It was $9.99 so I decided to take the plunge!

singrsling

I have read that too, and of course certain labs have to have more than one or two customers! but i strongly caution all of you as consumers to know what country the products are manufactured in! I personally do not buy makeup made in China, or PRC, and many products are made there. Beware, if its very inexpensive, it might be low quality, and remember, you are putting it on your face. Read the labels!

singrsling

Remember all the problems with the Purina dog snacks that were tainted and poisoning dogs here in the U.S a couple years ago? They were made in China - WTH, Purina?? I would like to see more products from other European countries that are underrepresented and still reasonably priced. We need to stop importing so much stuff from China! I only buy cosmetics made in Canada, the US, Italy France, (all of Europe) Eastern Europe (Inglot!), Japan, Australia, that's about it.

bubbleheart

Read the labels!
This. Although it is possible some brands get certain items made at similar facilities, I would caution against thinking that ALL cheap products are equal to mid-high end brand ones just because the ingredient lists match up. Sometimes the ingredients can be the same...but their sourcing is not. Using a lip product with ingredients like beeswax (just for an easy example) that came from China might be far different from one using beeswax from a place in the United States and making sure their products are using quality safe reliably sourced ingredients...even though when you compare the two lip products they both say "beeswax".

shellygrrl

Staff member
I moved the brand controversy posts into their own thread. http://www.specktra.net/t/190818/brand-controversies On topic for this one: Chikuhodo makes Suqqu brushes. And I believe once upon a time, Coastal Scents brushes = Crown brushes.

Queenesq

Excellent topic and great information. We spend thousands of dollars annually on our beloved makeup. The least we can do is make sure we are spending wisely. TFS!

Merula

This is pretty insightful, especially with the ABH eyebrow products! Will definitely keep a lookout for those replacements.

BandNerdChic

Don't forget about the new NYX micro brow pencil. Total brow wiz dupe. I am SO glad to not have to pay ABH prices for it any more :))

Goat Goat Etc.

Awesome! Was looking for something completely different and a thread from 2007 was talking about MAC's suppliers. I wonder if they still partner with them today?
Source: http://www.specktra.net/t/86555/macs-supplier-and-dupe
Technakohl Liner

Erica53094

First drugstore does not equate bad and higher/high end does not equate good...necessarily. So stick the noses down lol. Yes a parent company will push out the same/similar in a lower end line. Just read ingredients to know how similar. Often you are not paying more for quality per se but the packing and prestige. Ex. Loreal own Maybelline and Lancome and YSL. There is a liquid to powder foundation w a sponge tip wand in all three (Maybelline,Loreal and ysl) and all three have similar ingredients. Yes there is crossover.

Erica53094

This.  Although it is possible some brands get certain items made at similar facilities, I would caution against thinking that ALL cheap products are equal to mid-high end brand ones just because the ingredient lists match up.  Sometimes the ingredients can be the same...but their sourcing is not.  Using a lip product with ingredients like beeswax (just for an easy example) that came from China might be far different from one using beeswax from a place in the United States and making sure their products are using quality safe reliably sourced ingredients...even though when you compare the two lip products they both say "beeswax".
Fair enough but I think it's more like parent companies and the companies that fall under that umbrella using the same ingredients, technologies,secrets etc. I think it is something completely different comparing a product made in two different regions w different practices, standards etc.

Erica53094

LOL this brings two specific brands to mind immediately: Anastasia Beverly Hills and Makeup Geek. Everything they produce seems like a carbon copy of what another brand has already done. Every. Single. Thing. So I don't even bother with them. NYX has become blatant about it recently as well. And that pencil sharpener picture is too funny!
I do not see this as a bad practice but a brand trying to jump on the trends. NYX has positioned themselves as an affordable version of MAC and other mid/high end brands. Like they have their version of the mineral veil primer. How similar it is idk. Not the same as companies owned by the same parent company selling literally the same product except label and packaging imo.

Goat Goat Etc.

Got this makeup brush set in a Kirkland/Costco gift set in 2012 or so. With the exception of the bottoms of the brushes, these look like Morphe's Gun Metal brushes a bit. The ferrules...

Latest posts