Sigma Brushes

n_c

Ok so I received my ss224 (medium size dome) brush yesterday. Shipping wasn't bad at all.

Here are the pics, I went overboard sorry...you cant click to see the picture better

Here it is before taken out of the plastic sleeve
Sigma description: Features wood handles and nickel-plated brass ferrules

Close up

Compared to the MAC 224 in length. ss224 on top, mac on bottom

Close up comparison, ss224 on top, mac on bottom

Left to right 217, ss224, MAC 224

Am I satisfied with my purchase? Absolutely. I am suprisingly very impressed with this brush. After wash there was shedding, no dye transfer, and the fibers are cut well. No funny smell. Good quality. Overall this brush is everything I've ever wanted the MAC224 to be like, shorter bristles and a lot more stiff. I think the stiffness helps with blending part, gives more control. Im just sad I didnt buy more. Hth someone.

alka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamEva Le Fay
I think it's hilarious that these are ALL out of stock at the moment, and some not even temporarily...what does that mean exactly!

I wonder if MAC has caught ill wind of these yet?

I'm also wondering if these infringe upon any kind of patent/copyright laws for obvious reasons...I hope not - I'd hate for MAC to put the kabosh on these - before we were able to get them that is.
ssad.gif

I have a modest collection of 22 MAC brushes and, I too, like the idea of similar numbering for that universal approach for the application tools.

Needless to say I'm all over these as soon as I can get my grubby mitts on 'em!
tong.gif

I don't remember anyone mentioning what material the handles are made out of - wood/resin/plastic .
The webpage could do a whole lot better in showcasing these in my opinion. There's just a slight bit of the feeling that someone's trying to get away with something. That's my paranoia talking.

I always get nervous about online limited liability companies, fearing they'll just disappear into a puff of smoke after they've sold all of their limited supply of product they managed to get their hands on through some limited overstock deal, and then move on to some other product. I guess that would make them Limited Edition.
tong.gif
ssad.gif

I wish them all the best of success, though, in their small business venture, despite the fact that the name on their products is "SIGMA"
th_dunno.gif
...wtf!!!

I guess it would've been too obvious to have used the name "MAK" ?
th_rolleye0014.gif
th_LMAO.gif
nope.gif

You make some very good points. I especially agree about your concerns regarding the materials these are made of. Someone said that with MAC you pay for the brand. I don't believe that's true.. It is known that MAC brushes are hand-assembled, are made of quality materials built to be durable, come from a reputable brand with awesome customer service, etc.

vocaltest

With this whole name thing, I might be wrong but...

There's a possibility they're made by the same company who make MAC's brushes. I can't remember the name of the company but I have seen their website before and I believe you can buy directly from them. I know that Inglot's brushes are made by the same company as MAC's and all their brushes are identical to each others, yet Inglot's brushes are cheaper. Maybe thats the direct naming system? I don't know.
To be honest, who really cares if they're the same name? If they're good, they're good, thats all that should really matter.

SassyMochaJess

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest

There's a possibility they're made by the same company who make MAC's brushes. I can't remember the name of the company but I have seen their website before and I believe you can buy directly from them. I know that Inglot's brushes are made by the same company as MAC's and all their brushes are identical to each others, yet Inglot's brushes are cheaper. Maybe thats the direct naming system? I don't know.
To be honest, who really cares if they're the same name? If they're good, they're good, thats all that should really matter.

I agree!!!

COBI

That's what I thought, too: private labeling. It is possible that the manufacturer is the same; the majority of the brushes that we buy are likely made by only a handful (or two) of manufacturers.

Of course, different companies give the manufacturer different specifications such as handles, naming, density, etc.

spacegirl2007

Quote:
I know that Inglot's brushes are made by the same company as MAC's and all their brushes are identical to each others, yet Inglot's brushes are cheaper. Maybe thats the direct naming system? I don't know.

the sigma brushes aren't identical, though. like the 224 and the SS224 are different, yet sigma gave theirs the same #.

star*violet

in my opinion, if they make MAC-quality (or better in some cases) brushes for a fraction of the cost, they should go ahead and bank off of the names of the brushes. i love MAC, but i'm not gonna pretend that i don't think their brushes (and other things like MSFs) aren't totally overpriced. and we are definitely paying for the name to some extent, that's the whole point of branding. MAC's a makeup giant, they can handle it, or else they should price more competitively (but of course they know they don't have much real competition).

and as far as things like how they make their brushes and what with, it's kindof naive to think that ~MAC~ is that much better than other companies with everything they do behind the scenes. they're just selling a product too. i'd rather not miss out on cheap, good quality brushes because i need to compare everything to MAC first.

and i think i want the S224 brush (because my expensive MAC one scratches up my eye lids! yay!).

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
That's what I thought, too: private labeling. It is possible that the manufacturer is the same; the majority of the brushes that we buy are likely made by only a handful (or two) of manufacturers.

Of course, different companies give the manufacturer different specifications such as handles, naming, density, etc.

I don't think they are from the same manufacturer, looking at pictures and videos they do not look the same to me at all.
th_dunno.gif
The shapes are different.

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I don't think they are from the same manufacturer, looking at pictures and videos they do not look the same to me at all.
th_dunno.gif
The shapes are different.

I'm not talking specifically about these brushes or a one-to-one comparison, but like most industries, there are likely a couple dozen (or fewer) "major" manufacturers of brushes that do the private labeling for the majority of brands based on that brands specifications; and there are likely other smaller companies that do more local brush manufacturing versus large scale.

Suggesting that items are made by the same manufacturer does not guarantee or imply equitable quality as the specifications for the brushes (construction and materials used) can vary greatly.

sassyclassy

Although it may be true, each company designs their product, so the fact that they are manufactured in the same place does not really mean anything, I would think. The naming (either it's called the 187, the SS187, or Duo Fibre Stippling brush) was decided upon the company who in turn got their manufacturers to slap on the label.

I've heard that there are factories that manufacture candy on some days and peanut butter on others? Lol..the variations are endless.

So basically, manufacturers have clients who give them their design plans of their products with the materials used, packaging, specifications, etc and they are made to their liking =)

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaviKat
^^^ I have to agree with that statement. I emailed the creator (Simone?) to ask about their animal cruelty policies with regard to the sourcing of animal fibers. We'll see what she says. It's the one issue I have!

So, I am happy to report that Simone has taken the time to respond and she stated the following:

"The process that these brushes are made is the same as MAC brushes are made, and the bristles are the same. Animals are not harmed during the harvest of the bristles. The bristles are removed and allowed to re-grown, as would the coat of a sheep be removed and the hair be used to do sweaters, for example.

We will develop a synthetic line very soon. I've had several requests from those that are not comfortable using animal products."

user79

Seeing how everything is out of stock, I am going to wait a while until more people receive their orders and see what they say. I am not 100% convinced on these brushes yet.

nichollecaren

does anybody know if they happen to be available anywhere else? I've been dubiously watching ebay---I guess its too soon to expect that someone would want to offload
ssad.gif

sassyclassy

I would doubt that these brushes are sold anywhere else since it's obviously a very new company..I think it is a possible idea in the future but not right now as they just started to gain clients. Maybe you can email her to ask her about it?

damsel

from the preorder email:
Quote:
Individual brushes (including the new SS109 and SS188) are scheduled to be available on April 25th. Complete, Eyes, and Face kits are scheduled to be available on May 15th.

spacegirl2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaviKat
So, I am happy to report that Simone has taken the time to respond and she stated the following:

"The process that these brushes are made is the same as MAC brushes are made, and the bristles are the same. Animals are not harmed during the harvest of the bristles. The bristles are removed and allowed to re-grown, as would the coat of a sheep be removed and the hair be used to do sweaters, for example.

We will develop a synthetic line very soon. I've had several requests from those that are not comfortable using animal products."

that's her response verbatim?
hmm.gif

and she supposedly has a D.V.M.?

shyste

Quote:

Playing devil's advocate...we all know everybody doesn't want to pay the prices for MAC brushes...could Simone have gotten their permission? I mean are they getting a cut? we just don't know all the particulars...I do think worrying about a name or number is useless because MAC doesn't own the #187..they own MAC 187..so anybody can use the numbers..we all love MAC but there are other brushes out there ie..billy b, nars, etc...I own a Sonia Kashuk set and I reach for the SK blending brush b4 MAC's cause I can work a crease with it...I just don't think we should be soooo skeptical..u can always purchase one just to try it...and maybe they are sold out because they didn't want to buy to many and not sell them..now that there is a demand they can order more...
th_dunno.gif
these are jmo.....

now I am still pissed about the Coastal Scents ones....thankfully I have daughters and gave the brushes to them...

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegirl2007
that's her response verbatim?
hmm.gif

and she supposedly has a D.V.M.?

That was verbatim, yes - copied/pasted from her response to me. (I leave everyone to draw their own conclusions). :p I have no idea about the DVM claim.

nursee81

I would like to try them out but i am very if-y about them. To me it just seems that the reviews they are getting are maybe a little exaggerated maybe I don't know.

pmjc69

I actually do want to try out their brushes due to all the reviews. but i think i will wait to hear from the people who ordered on here before getting them.

Latest posts