Soul Mates ---- do you believe?

Shimmer

People seem to think our souls are these round things...with a little notch out...and that one person fills that notch, and while other people come close, they just don't quite fit...except that one person.

I don't believe this.

I think our souls are faceted...multifaceted really...and that there are so many people in our lives who are pieces of our souls...the people who stay in our lives through the years, the ones we can't or won't let go of, the ones who complete us who aren't our sexual or intimate partners but are as integral a part of our being as breathing...
Those people are our soul mates too.

I think we're flawed, and we're notched, and I think that it takes more than one person to smooth the notches and compliment the flaws, it takes three or four or five or six people. And like I said, they don't have to be sexual or intimate partners...they're just people who complete your life.

Just my thoughts.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg
I'm noticing a trend in this thread of a poster saying that they believe in soulmates, and then presenting a different definition. Ktinagapay, and I think there was someone else on the first page but I'm too lazy to go check because I should be reading for my exam this afternoon...

Sorry, can't change the definition. You can call it something else if you want, but the idea of soulmates, split aparts, whatever you want to call it, is pretty clearly defined as the romantic partner that you are/were/always will be destined to be with and love for the rest of your life. It's not just a special connection with people, it is not platonic, and you can only have one.

If you don't like that, use a different word.

If this is the definition and these are the caveats placed on the idea, then no, I don't believe in them, because I find it ludicrous to imagine that ONE person could fill that role.

cupcake_x

Yes. I guess to an extent. And not just in romantic relationships. Certain people in life are meant to be there, whether it's to spend the rest of your life with or to teach you a valuble lesson.

NaturalSister19

I do believe in Soul Mates & also believe that you can have more than one/more than one kind.

On the LOVE side, I met my soul mate in college (1988) and circumstances had us part within a year. Shortly after that, we communicated by letter for a short time. He moved around a bit over the next 5 or so years and so did I. I kept every letter and I still laugh at how he called himself "the ONE", which I initially attributed to his arrogance, (something I am extremely attracted to in men) but now I wonder if he knew something about our relationship. I haven't been pining for him all this time. Trust that I have had my share of lovely men over the years. He will never go away, I truly believe that.

We had a couple freakish encounters where we were both with someone else - we just stared and dared not act on it. The energy I felt (feel) between us is stifling! I saw him in October, it was electric. (21 years later?)

I say he's my soul mate because of how alike we are and I believe that's what attracts us to one another. I am admitting a degree of narcissism on both our parts but as they say - "truth be told".

I have never felt the way I feel for this man for anyone else. I still love him right now and torture myself wondering why we are both still single to this day. We live very far apart (though I go to where he lives/works for work several times a year | another freaky thing - he works in front of the camera/me behind the scenes) but we are in contact. Nothing really to speak of - even though deep down, I think we will explore what's been going on between us. He's admitted (as much as men do & in their own way) that he is in the same place I am in concerning US. We'll see...still feels scary at the same time. As well as I now know myself - he is "the ONE".

TISH1124

I think my dh is truly my soulmate and I agree that we have more than one...My bestfriend is also meant to be in my life...her name is Maria and she is Vietnamese and my twin in everyway other than physical....She was always told that her birthday was March 24,1972....Well one day she was going thru pictures and found one of her mothers wedding ....and there was this little girl there that was about 3..she asked her Mom who is that girl...she said ..it's you Maria...she said but how could that be...I was born after you and dad got married...well No, she wasn't and they changed her birth records because it was not acceptable to have a chlld out of wedlock back then in that country....Ok so she always thought she was smarter than the other kids...well that was only becauise she was actually older...that pissed her off ....LOL...but as we were listening to her Mom tell this story she said so when is my actual birthday Mom...Her Mom said Nov 30, 1969.....We both started crying like OMG we are twins....that is my exact birthday and her Mom never knew that....

kimberlane

This is a really good question. I'd like to say that I believe in a soulmate. But being as how everyone seems to have an opinion about what exactly a "soulmate" I don't quite know. I never believed in romantic love growing up as a child, my parents split up when I was young, and the only people I had seen that stayed together and actually seemed in love were my grandparents. Other than that I am this extremely introverted person, with weird and strange tendancies like make up songs about making hamburger helper, or using fake accents when I go out, oh and their is my undiagnosed bi polarism. So I never thought I would ever even find someone I could show my true self to. Until I met my boyfriend. I'll admit in the begining it wasn't like love at first sight, I am not that type of person, but it was definelty a great liking, admiration, and attraction. He just seemed so different than everyone else, so much like me, and so different. He is not as crazy as me, ie the singing and accents, but he gets it, and finds it humourous for the most part. I don't think you have to have as much in common, but just this great understanding and love for eachother, like you don't feel judged at all, you could sh!t in your pants and they'd still love you, not judge you by it and still find you attractive. (not speaking from experience on that, because that would be gross, but I'd get over it.) Don't think you could do that with just anyone, at least I couldn't. lol

NaturalSister19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalSister19
I do believe in Soul Mates & also believe that you can have more than one/more than one kind.

On the LOVE side, I met my soul mate in college (1988) and circumstances had us part within a year. Shortly after that, we communicated by letter for a short time. He moved around a bit over the next 5 or so years and so did I. I kept every letter and I still laugh at how he called himself "the ONE", which I initially attributed to his arrogance, (something I am extremely attracted to in men) but now I wonder if he knew something about our relationship. I haven't been pining for him all this time. Trust that I have had my share of lovely men over the years. He will never go away, I truly believe that.

We had a couple freakish encounters where we were both with someone else - we just stared and dared not act on it. The energy I felt (feel) between us is stifling! I saw him in October, it was electric. (21 years later?)

I say he's my soul mate because of how alike we are and I believe that's what attracts us to one another. I am admitting a degree of narcissism on both our parts but as they say - "truth be told".

I have never felt the way I feel for this man for anyone else. I still love him right now and torture myself wondering why we are both still single to this day. We live very far apart (though I go to where he lives/works for work several times a year | another freaky thing - he works in front of the camera/me behind the scenes) but we are in contact. Nothing really to speak of - even though deep down, I think we will explore what's been going on between us. He's admitted (as much as men do & in their own way) that he is in the same place I am in concerning US. We'll see...still feels scary at the same time. As well as I now know myself - he is "the ONE".

...and saying all of that, my belief is centered in the notion that having a soul mate does not mean that you spend a life-time with them - your souls just seem to have an unmistakable commonality that is beyond either of your control.

NutMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
If this is the definition and these are the caveats placed on the idea, then no, I don't believe in them, because I find it ludicrous to imagine that ONE person could fill that role.

I agree, which is why I believe more of what you say here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
I think our souls are faceted...multifaceted really...and that there are so many people in our lives who are pieces of our souls...the people who stay in our lives through the years, the ones we can't or won't let go of, the ones who complete us who aren't our sexual or intimate partners but are as integral a part of our being as breathing...
Those people are our soul mates too.

What I'm saying is that isn't a soul mate. If you look back into Greek philosophy, that is not the concept at all. My point is that if we use the same term (soul mates) to apply to what you're saying above, then we're missing the subtleties of both ideas.

Eh, I suppose it's kind of a minor point, but I thought I'd bring it up. Back to Music History (exam in two hours!).

I thought the title of this thread was Soul Mates----do you believe?

yes or no question, right?

personally i don't. everybody has their own opinion and is entitled to call it or make it what they want. high fives to the ones who believe
smiles.gif

L1LMAMAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
I think my dh is truly my soulmate and I agree that we have more than one...My bestfriend is also meant to be in my life...her name is Maria and she is Vietnamese and my twin in everyway other than physical....She was always told that her birthday was March 24,1972....Well one day she was going thru pictures and found one of her mothers wedding ....and there was this little girl there that was about 3..she asked her Mom who is that girl...she said ..it's you Maria...she said but how could that be...I was born after you and dad got married...well No, she wasn't and they changed her birth records because it was not acceptable to have a chlld out of wedlock back then in that country....Ok so she always thought she was smarter than the other kids...well that was only becauise she was actually older...that pissed her off ....LOL...but as we were listening to her Mom tell this story she said so when is my actual birthday Mom...Her Mom said Nov 30, 1969.....We both started crying like OMG we are twins....that is my exact birthday and her Mom never knew that....

OMG That is AMAZING!!! same birthday and best friends!! See that isn't a coincidence!!
smiles.gif
great story tish!!

oooh i have a quote for those of you guys that are quote fans:
"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."

Laaav it.
smiles.gif

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06290714
I thought the title of this thread was Soul Mates----do you believe?

yes or no question, right?

personally i don't. everybody has their own opinion and is entitled to call it or make it what they want. high fives to the ones who believe
smiles.gif

Actually it wasn't a yes or no...if you read the OP initial post...she asked for opinions on the subject...Opinions cannot be summed up in a Yes or No unfortunately.

just saw that and it asked for your own opinions..not opinions on what other other people believe in.

some reply posts in here doesn't state their opininon but specifically tags somebody else's belief in soul mates..

Curly1908

I don't believe in soul mates.

Who we choose to date is based strictly on societal rules. We choose our mates based on attraction to such characteristics as height, weight, skin tone, race/ethnicity, hair, clothes, education, what language they speak, physical beauty, economic status, etc. God doesn't care about those "superficial" qualities so if He really gave us soulmates then the toothless bum on the street would be just as likely to be your soulmate as the guy-next-door. In addition, why are there so many hopelessly single people if soulmates actually existed?

It's all b.s. IMO.

DancingBrave

Soul mates are a human invention of the heart perpetuated by fairy tales and our seemingly innate desire to connect to another person on a deeper level.

I don't think in that traditional, romantic sense of two single people meant to be with only one another is real. Mostly b/c its a mathmatical improbability that any one of us would actually meet our soul mates on this planet if that was the case.

In reality, I think a soul mate is someone close ENOUGH to you to make a real connection. There are likely hundreds, if not thousands of these people on the planet for any one person. The more demanding your requirements of course, the fewer possibilities there are.

Not exactly a romantic view, but I think its the most true.

SMMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingBrave
Soul mates are a human invention of the heart perpetuated by fairy tales and our seemingly innate desire to connect to another person on a deeper level.

I don't think in that traditional, romantic sense of two single people meant to be with only one another is real. Mostly b/c its a mathmatical improbability that any one of us would actually meet our soul mates on this planet if that was the case.

In reality, I think a soul mate is someone close ENOUGH to you to make a real connection. There are likely hundreds, if not thousands of these people on the planet for any one person. The more demanding your requirements of course, the fewer possibilities there are.

Not exactly a romantic view, but I think its the most true.

and you have to consider back in ye olden days, when Chaucer was talking about romantic love and Aristophanes was presenting the idea of soul mates, the average life span was about 40 years and the Church frowned on the idea of divorce. People live a very different and much longer life these days. The notion that you might actually spend the rest of your life (~60 years) with the same person has become less doable and there are less societal restrictions compelling you to do so. It's a whole different thing, living with someone for 20 years (and if you were a woman, the odds were not that good that you would survive giving birth to your children) than living with someone for over half a century.

CandiGirl21

yep! I believe I already know him. It's crazy! It has something to do with my heart, I just know he's not far yet there is some distance between us.
I know God has many plans for me and I know he is waiting for me like I'm waiting for him...

For some reason I feel he's not far... Sorry, but I'm speaking from the heart...
love.gif